• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Joint training session between the Rebels and Storm (NRL) this Thursday morning.

Don't know how I feel about this. Obviously PR for the Geelong games, but do we need to dilute their respective images further?

No need to feel anything. A bit of cross-code training once in a while is fine. The Storm are the reigning premiers and the Rebels are a new kid in town. What is there to dilute? Anyone who doesn't know the difference between the Storm and the Rebels are not likely candidates for membership with either club.

The Storm usually have a session with an AFL club and coaching staff each year as well. I also understand the Rebels coaches do some contact drills with AFL players.

Just exchanging ideas but still beneficial; I would go out on a short limb and say the Storm's aerial skills and kicking are extremely good after a bit of AFL coaching.

D

daz

I'd love Inman to have a breakout year. A full Super season in the 13 for the Rebels would be great. He's a really good size and if he can work on his running lines he will be hard to stop and could potentially become the go to man for JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale and get the Rebels over the advantage line.

Screw it, time to put the cahuna's on the line.

Predictions for 2013:

1) Inman is going to be the real deal this year and will make the Wallaby training squad for the RC.

2) The Rebels will not make the finals.

3) I will get a bit teary when Delve plays his last game, even though he is British.

That should do it.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Beale has undoubtably played his best senior Rugby at 15. His best attributes are his open field running and he is also more comfortable making covering tackles then head on. JOC (James O'Connor) best position is on the wing.

What every non-rebel supporter doesn't seem to understand is: No matter what theoretical best postion there is for KB (Kurtley Beale), the Rebels play better when he is at 10. So unsurprisingly, many Rebels fans have him as the starting 10.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
3) I will get a bit teary when Delve plays his last game, even though he is British.

That should do it.

Delve to extend again, meaning he is here long enough to become a Permanent resident, he may stay as a foreign player but I would be quite happy to see him play out his career here and than take a role in the coaching ranks.

Any one else like to see Delve, Frier and Mortlock made the Rebels first Life Members? For services to Victorian Rugby

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Any one else like to see Delve, Frier and Mortlock made the Rebels first Life Members? For services to Victorian Rugby

Frankly, if we're giving it out for services to Victorian Rugby, I'd prefer it go to people who have toiled away for years to develop Victorian Rugby rather than 3 recently arrived foreign celebrity players, no matter how high their profiles are. These guys are professional players who have already been compensated for their time by club, not to mention the ongoing positions provided to Mortlock and Freier.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mortlock was always staying 3 years, he signed a contract and was always going to go into a coaching role.

Other two candidates have done every thing possible to stay in Melbourne, shows a great passion for what they are trying to achieve. The first is always going to have to be high profile, I agree with people who have been working for years being acknowledged for there services, but you ain't going to attract the media attention with these people, the Rebels need to be doing everything they can to get that spot in the sports news in Melbourne to help grow and promote the game.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
No need to feel anything. A bit of cross-code training once in a while is fine. The Storm are the reigning premiers and the Rebels are a new kid in town. What is there to dilute? Anyone who doesn't know the difference between the Storm and the Rebels are not likely candidates for membership with either club.

The Storm usually have a session with an AFL club and coaching staff each year as well. I also understand the Rebels coaches do some contact drills with AFL players.

Just exchanging ideas but still beneficial; I would go out on a short limb and say the Storm's aerial skills and kicking are extremely good after a bit of AFL coaching.
No problem with cross code training in isolation. Except there'll probably be a media spectacle, plus the Geelong component.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Phipps has been training hard with the Bunnies in Sydney and impressed with a 2nd in a beep test in recent NRL squad testing.
He'll certainly be ready for Thursday's session with the Storm.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
He is up there as part of a Wallabies camp, 8 of our players are: Cadeyrn Neville, Hugh Pyle, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Mitch Inman & Cooper Vuna

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
He is up there as part of a Wallabies camp, 8 of our players are: Cadeyrn Neville, Hugh Pyle, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Mitch Inman & Cooper Vuna
No, he's been training with Souths for a couple of weeks via his relationship with their S&C coach who is ex Rebels

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wonder what benefit there is training with Souths over the main squad down here?

Had to be there for the Wallaby thing and his family is there I'd imagine. Souths probably offered to let him train with them in the meanwhile, he'd surely train with good intensity and be up to it skills wise.

Phipps played a shitload of rugby in 2012, nothing wrong with him mixing it up.

T

TOCC

That's strange that a player wouldn't train with his team... The Wallaby camp was only for a few days, not a few weeks..

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's strange that a player wouldn't train with his team. The Wallaby camp was only for a few days, not a few weeks..
I'd say Phipps was training with Souths in his own time, he would have a extended break before being required back to the Rebels due to his Wallabies commitments this year. Most rugby players prefer training in a team environment and he properly used this as a good way to be doing some extra work in his time off.

T

TOCC

I'd say Phipps was training with Souths in his own time, he would have a extended break before being required back to the Rebels due to his Wallabies commitments this year. Most rugby players prefer training in a team environment and he properly used this as a good way to be doing some extra work in his time off.

That's possible, I guess it depends on the timeframe.. My work ran a training camp with the Rabbitohs just before their Christmas break and Phipps wasn't training with them then. I thought all Wallabies returned to their clubs following the Xmas break though, all the Reds and Tahs players have returned.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wallabies weren't required to return to work until yesterday. Many of them returned early but Phipps may have chosen to stay in Sydney with his family for a bit longer. Good to see him working hard in his own time.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What every non-rebel supporter doesn't seem to understand is: No matter what theoretical best postion there is for KB (Kurtley Beale), the Rebels play better when he is at 10. So unsurprisingly, many Rebels fans have him as the starting 10.

I agree with this for sure - he has to be the playmaker.

I see our first choice line-up as :

1 - Henderon
2 - Robinson
3 - Weeks
4 - Neville
5 - Pyle
6 - Higginbotham
7 - Saffy
8 - Delve
9 - Phipps
10 - Beale
11 - Vuna
12 - Sidey
13 - Inman
14 - O'Connor
15 - Woodward

16 - Leafa
17 - Alo-Emile
18 - Jones
19 - Fuglistaller/Davidson
20 - Rokobaro
21 - Mitchell
22 - Kingi

Obviously leaves the other EPS guys and Davo/Fuglistaller, Stirzaker, Aholelei, Horie, Thomson, Situati, Roberts and King fighting for a spot.

I don't think Hilly will run with a 4-3 split on the bench, particularly if he goes with Kingi as packup to Fanga rather than Stirzy, but that is how I see it anyway..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree with this for sure - he has to be the playmaker.

I see our first choice line-up as :

1 - Henderon
2 - Robinson
3 - Weeks
4 - Neville
5 - Pyle
6 - Higginbotham
7 - Saffy
8 - Delve
9 - Phipps
10 - Beale
11 - Vuna
12 - Sidey O'Connor
13 - Inman
14 - O'Connor Mitchell
15 - Woodward Kingi

16 - Leafa
17 - Alo-Emile
18 - Jones
19 - Fuglistaller/Davidson
20 - Rokobaro
21 - Mitchell Stirzaker
22 - Kingi Woodward

Obviously leaves the other EPS guys and Davo/Fuglistaller, Stirzaker, Aholelei, Horie, Thomson, Situati, Roberts and King fighting for a spot.

I don't think Hilly will run with a 4-3 split on the bench, particularly if he goes with Kingi as packup to Fanga rather than Stirzy, but that is how I see it anyway..

I like the forward pack but would make a few changes in the backs.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like the forward pack but would make a few changes in the backs.
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Vuna
12. Mitchell
13. Inman
14. Rokobaro
15. O'Connor

Kingi won't be selected as Full back, even though it's his best chance at getting game time. Did not like O'Connor at 12 at all last year, it was not effective and his speed and footwork is wasted playing at 12, prefer to see him in more open space to cause some damage than try play a game at 12 his not suited to.

Status
Not open for further replies.