• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What every non-rebel supporter doesn't seem to understand is: No matter what theoretical best postion there is for KB (Kurtley Beale), the Rebels play better when he is at 10. So unsurprisingly, many Rebels fans have him as the starting 10.
"Every non - Rebels Supporter" - Laughable - My Mrs supports the Roosters in Rugby League and I support the Tigers does this qualify her to have a better understanding of the roosters than me or any other league supporter not of the roosters???? - Ive long been a supporter of the concept "If it aint broke dont fix it" unfortunately for the Rebels there is plenty of improvement in them and for them to compete they have to take a few chances in 13. That why for me

10 Angus Roberts
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 INMAN
15 KURTLEY BEALE

It is also important to note that KB (Kurtley Beale) hasnt always been a rebel and his years at the tahs and with the wallabies have given plenty of insight into where he is best utilized. Just because the rebels fuctioned a little better (hardly world beaters) with him at 5/8 in 2012 doesnt mean he couldnt serve them better in his prefered position in 2013. Ive seen a bit of Roberts in Sydney grade rugby and reckon he is up to it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I completely agree that Kurtley Beale has played his best football at 15. I only think this is the case because he has played most of his senior football at 15 rather than 10.

I don't think for an instant that this means that teams should only select Beale at 15. He is still only 24 and played 10 as a junior as well as for a season at the Tahs when they made the final. Given time to develop as a senior 10, I think Beale has close to the best overall skillset amongst all the Australian candidates for the 10 jersey.

It absolutely makes sense for the Rebels to pick Beale at 10 every week.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'm really surprised nobody else seems to have Rory Sidey in their starting 15, and in some cases in their 22.

I think he is a quality signing, should work well with Inman and JOC (James O'Connor) having played together at the Force, and brings some try-scoring form to the team as well.

My understanding is that JOC (James O'Connor) will most likely be an outside back to at least start the season

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm really surprised nobody else seems to have Rory Sidey in their starting 15, and in some cases in their 22.

I think he is a quality signing, should work well with Inman and JOC (James O'Connor) having played together at the Force, and brings some try-scoring form to the team as well.

My understanding is that JOC (James O'Connor) will most likely be an outside back to at least start the season

Mitchell and Sidey scored the same amount of try's last season. I believe this is one of the tightest call Hill will make all year, would stick with Mitchell as his solid and has been playing at 12 and 14 for the Rebels the last two season. After all he has been involved in 31 out of the Rebels 32 games and would be 32 except for the concussion he suffered against the Canes last season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cue Anthony Robbins - If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

I'm guessing Anthony Robbins' analogy for selecting Angus Roberts at 10 over Kurtley Beale would be to quit your job, go back to uni and start working towards starting a new career.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You seemed to be suggesting that Angus Roberts should be selected at 10 instead of Beale for the Rebels as selecting Beale would just be recipe for repeating the same results as last year.

Comparing Roberts to Beale at this stage would seem to be comparing apples to oranges. Lots of people look good at Shute Shield level.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was actually more referencing comments about Mitchell being picked at 12 ahead of Sidey because he had played 31 of 32 rebels games.

In reference to the Roberts/ Beale comment, I never tried to compare the two or put Roberts in the same ball park as Beale. I just believe that Kurtley would be best for the Rebels at fullback and believe it worthwhile to take a punt on a young Fly half who has progressed through the junior representative ranks. Agree that alot of players look good at shute shield level but arent up to Super Rugby but how do you know untill they have been tried? What other avenues are there too Super Rugby???

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it is a bit unfair to lump the Rebels fortunes on Mitchell. From what I saw of him at 12, he was very solid and filled the role quite well. I'd like to see the Rebels give him another shot at 12.
He was better at 12 than he was out on the wing. He's an honest trier, and provides cover for a lot of positions, but I don't think he'll be first XV this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Didn't Roberts mostly play 15 at SS level?

Beale is a fine Super rugby 10, above average by starting XV standard. I'm coming around to the anti-JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 argument, but he shouldn't play 10 and would be wasted on the wing. Therefore he should play 15 and Beale playing 10 allows this, at least in an uninjured line-up.

As far as Sidey goes, he's an okay player. The Rebels picked him up astutely last minute and he covers a truckload of positions but he's not a world beater. Anybody saying he should play 12 with Inman at 13 because they played together at the Force obviously didn't see how that went at the Force

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sidey and Inman would have to be the slowest centre combination ever seen or imagined.

Yeah. A nice flashy centre at the Rebels would be nice (to complement solid bread and butter players like Mitchel, Inman, etc.) but we don't have that so we have to make do with what we've got. The Reds don't have much use for CFS currently, Inman and him would be good foils for one another (though one would have to be taught to play 12).

Inman and Sidey are cut from similar moulds with Inman being the more impressive of the two but Sidey the more versatile. I think they'll both have their place in the 22, Inman as the starting 13 and Sidey as the bench cover for 11-14.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
It is also important to note that KB (Kurtley Beale) hasnt always been a rebel and his years at the tahs and with the wallabies have given plenty of insight into where he is best utilized. Just because the rebels fuctioned a little better (hardly world beaters) with him at 5/8 in 2012 doesnt mean he couldnt serve them better in his prefered position in 2013. Ive seen a bit of Roberts in Sydney grade rugby and reckon he is up to it.

How he functions with other teams has very little relevance to how he functions with the Rebels team.

Using the perceived strength of the Rebels backline last year as authority for assertions that he should not play there is a straw man argument. KB (Kurtley Beale) played four games at 10 for the Rebels last year which included a very commendable performance against the Bulls, a win against the Force and the defeat of the Crusaders; a feat that I believe no other Australian franchise achieved and certainly places them closer to world beaters in that regard. Admittedly, there was a disappointing game by the Rebels against the Hurricanes which he was 10 for, although it is worth noting that that game came on a 5 day turnaround including a return from WA and it was the game he was injured in (hence why he DNP the next week against the Brumbies). The Rebels did not play 'a little better' with KB (Kurtley Beale) at the helm, they played significantly better.

Furthermore going by his answers in interviews, his 'preferred position' is 10.

I hope this explains why in my opinion (and that of several other Rebels supporters), KB (Kurtley Beale) is the best first choice 10 we have.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Didn't Roberts mostly play 15 at SS level?

Beale is a fine Super rugby 10, above average by starting XV standard. I'm coming around to the anti-JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 argument, but he shouldn't play 10 and would be wasted on the wing. Therefore he should play 15 and Beale playing 10 allows this, at least in an uninjured line-up.

As far as Sidey goes, he's an okay player. The Rebels picked him up astutely last minute and he covers a truckload of positions but he's not a world beater. Anybody saying he should play 12 with Inman at 13 because they played together at the Force obviously didn't see how that went at the Force
Roberts did play mostly at 15 because Uni 10 Dan Kelly has been the pivot there for quite a while and Uni play a really structured game. The majority of his (roberts) football prior to this has been at 10 and he stepped into ten when Kelly was injured and looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.