• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There is an AAP article on the union live app I can't find on the internet at the moment about Damien Hill and what he's thinking on selections for this season.

This is probably it (link and snippet follow). I agree, looks like possibly 10 KB (Kurtley Beale), 12 JOC (James O'Connor). I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) might also get a shot at 10 during the season, though.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/8196553/Melbourne-coach-coy-on-teams-playmaker

Melbourne coach coy on team's playmaker

MELISSA WOODS​
Last updated 19:07 18/01/2013​
Spoilt for choice, Melbourne Rebels coach Damien Hill isn't revealing which of his gun playmakers will line up at No 10 for this Super Rugby season.​
Hill can call on current Wallabies five-eighth Kurtley Beale or James O'Connor, who has finally overcome the hamstring trouble which cruelled his 2012 Test campaign and has put his hand up for the job.​
O'Connor thrived in the role on Australia's 2011 European tour but hasn't had much opportunity to prove himself there since due to injury.​
"James can play wing, 15, 12, 10 and KB (Kurtley Beale) (Beale) can play 10 and 15 as well," Hill said. "It's going to be what's best for the team. They combine really well so they will be together out there and the two main voices."​
..... Kiwi Jason Woodward could be the new face in the backline at fullback, where he starred for the Lions in last year's NPC. The former New Zealand under-20s representative has a big boot which the Rebels need after losing veteran Mark Gerrard to Japanese club rugby.​
..... As well as Higginbotham, another recruit - Kiwi Scott Fuglistaller - who had a stint with the Highlanders late in the 2012 Super season, is set to get first crack at No 7, combining with skipper No.8 Gareth Delve in a formidable backrow.​
- AAP

kronic

John Solomon (38)
They did rotate at 1st receiver during 2012, much like Barnes and Beale did for the Wallabies.

Interesting re Fuglistaller, perhaps Saffy isn't 100%. Can you shed some light pjfairbairn?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice piece on JOC (James O'Connor) in the SMH

O'Connor could have toured Europe, but ruled himself out to regain full fitness for this year. That he is now fitter, stronger, faster and looks like a coiled spring as he awaits the chance to play again proves sitting out the Wallabies tour was wise, although he admitted on Friday doing so was one of the hardest decisions he had ever made.

''That's the pinnacle of the game, that's why you play,'' he said.

''But for me, I'm 22, if I'd torn my hammy straight after that it would have been surgery and possibly out for a year. This is the time I want to be improving as a player and hitting my peak, these next few years.
''It was a big sacrifice. You never know how many Tests you're going to get and how many chances with the Wallabies and there's definitely boys in my position who have stepped up this [past] year, but I want to play Super Rugby and hopefully my performances get me back in the [national] team.''

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Revised 22, based on that article

1. Henderson
2. Robinson
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Higginbotham
7. Fuglistaller
8. Delve
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Vuna
12. O'Connor
13. Inman
14. Mitchell
15. Woodward

16. Leafa
17. PAE
18. Thomson/King
19. Jones
20. Stirzaker
21. Sidey
22. Situati

T

TOCC

How do you pronounce fuglistaller, and does he have a nickname which will be easier for the spelling numpty's like myself to reference?

T

tranquility

Revised 22, based on that article

1. Henderson
2. Robinson
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Higginbotham
7. Fuglistaller
8. Delve
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Vuna
12. O'Connor
13. Inman
14. Mitchell
15. Woodward

16. Leafa
17. PAE
18. Thomson/King
19. Jones
20. Stirzaker
21. Sidey
22. Situati

There is a bucket load of talent in that team. I guess we will see if Hill is up to it as a coach this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So they chose a player with a couple of Super Rugby caps as oppose to a local with none?

Age =/= experience.

They chose a player with years of professional rugby experience as their third option so they're not stuck with two inexperienced rookies if Moore goes down or is taken away for Wallaby duties.........

Pretty wise thinking.........

Unfortunately we can't keep all out local talent.

It just shows how strong the local competition is.........

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Fuglistaller's nickname is Hans according to his profile.

I recall Hill and Muggles stating that they hoped Saffy would develop into an openside last season, clearly the injury setback prevented this.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They chose a player with years of professional rugby experience as their third option so they're not stuck with two inexperienced rookies if Moore goes down or is taken away for Wallaby duties...

Pretty wise thinking...

Unfortunately we can't keep all out local talent.

It just shows how strong the local competition is...

How many Brumbies are from your local competition? I think it's just Kimlin.

There's obviously Leafa and Stubbs at other teams though.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
... Kiwi Jason Woodward could be the new face in the backline at fullback, where he starred for the Lions in last year's NPC. The former New Zealand under-20s representative has a big boot which the Rebels need after losing veteran Mark Gerrard to Japanese club rugby.​
... As well as Higginbotham, another recruit - Kiwi Scott Fuglistaller - who had a stint with the Highlanders late in the 2012 Super season, is set to get first crack at No 7, combining with skipper No.8 Gareth Delve in a formidable backrow.​
- AAP

I would note that those aren't quotes so we can't tell if they are speculation by the reporter. It is interesting that it seems to have been picked up primarily across the Tasman where there would be more interest in the local boys.

The other thing that comes to mind for me is that Gerrard rarely played 15 for the Rebels last year, who preferred instead to put their second playmaker in the 15 jumper. Instead he was used at 14 and dropped back to provide kicking as needed. Who is to say that Woodward will not be used in a similar role.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Fair enough then.

I still think you'd struggle to claim Lealiifano and Mogg though.

Lealiifano has played with Vikings for around 6 years and didn't get his Super gig until after a few seasons playing local club rugby down here. Mogg came out of absolute no where until White noticed him running around with Wests when he attended a weekend club game and invited him to come and train. They both were signed and developed via the local comp.

There's a local product represented in every team in Aus:
Rebels - Pat Leafa
Force - Ed Stubbs, Phoenix Battye
Reds - Saia Fainga'a, Anthony Fainga'a
Tahs - Michael Hodge

Plus guys like Jack Lam with the Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.