• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nice piece on JOC (James O'Connor) in the SMH
Stange choice of highlights from the article fatprop: i thought this was far more important:

NEVER mind the ridicule. So long as James O'Connor feels healthy the haircut stays.
''At times I've wanted to shave it off and get rid of it but I'm in a good space … sort of like Samson,'' the Melbourne Rebels star jokes of the top knot that is earning him plenty of grief from teammates.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/newlook-oconnor-thankful-he-withdrew-from-wallabies-tour-20130118-2cyst.html#ixzz2IOlGef6D

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would note that those aren't quotes so we can't tell if they are speculation by the reporter. It is interesting that it seems to have been picked up primarily across the Tasman where there would be more interest in the local boys.

The other thing that comes to mind for me is that Gerrard rarely played 15 for the Rebels last year, who preferred instead to put their second playmaker in the 15 jumper. Instead he was used at 14 and dropped back to provide kicking as needed. Who is to say that Woodward will not be used in a similar role.
Fair points. The kiwis following their own there. Thought Fairfax would pick it up here. Channel Nein gave it a run.

Could be all just reported speculation - but it's still grist for the mill. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mogg played Brisbane comp for Norths. Then I think went to Brisbane Broncos. I'd suggest that he's tough to claim by the Brumbies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The point is that playing club rugby for Wests in Canberra led to him being noticed by Jake White.........

But you can choose to shit on that either way for your own parochial reasons in this Rebels thread.......

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
That's good, wonder how the Brumbies let him slip out from under their nose.

He'd be a better long term option than Man-Rea.

Pat Leafa for the Brumbies would be an import to many but REbels hold more import slots. Leafa came accross the ditch and played in the ACT comp.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
with regards the team, i suspect that at this early stage, with saffy not yet match fit and only just returned from the rehab group at christmas then fuglistaller is perhaps in the prime spot to start in the early rounds
horie isnt due to return from japan for a few weeks yet and has some limited availability to due international commitments and so it makes sense to promote leafa to the main squad especially if he is training well
clearly JOC (James O'Connor) wants to play in the inside backs, although personally i believe he is a better player with room to move and i dont think he is that good at creating space or putting others through gaps, a necessary skill for an IC in my opinion
which basically leaves KB (Kurtley Beale) at 5/8, JOC (James O'Connor) and inman in the centres, vuna + a.n.other on the wings and probably woodward at FB. phipps will start at 9 but the redhead will put a lot of pressure on him to retain the possie.
and we havent even had a trial yet !

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
clearly JOC (James O'Connor) wants to play in the inside backs, although personally i believe he is a better player with room to move and i dont think he is that good at creating space or putting others through gaps, a necessary skill for an IC in my opinion
Just on this quickly. It's something people have started to say, and it isn't really true. JOC (James O'Connor) was picked for the Wallabies on the back of his performances at 12 for the Force where he was absolutely slaying. In more recent times the 'JOC (James O'Connor) for 13' brigade use his in-an-away against the Saffas, where he sent McCabe through for the try, as their main argument. He's brilliant at creating space and putting other players into gaps from the midfield. At 10 though it appears that he tries a bit too much by himself. Means we see a lot of him running, and not much facilitating. The Rebels have regularly posed absolutely no threat in the midfield, getting JOC (James O'Connor) in there running off Beale is the best chance we have of getting things moving. It's as good a 10-12 combo as you'll see in the world, Hill would be mad not to give it a whirl.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rebels have regularly posed absolutely no threat in the midfield, getting JOC (James O'Connor) in there running off Beale is the best chance we have of getting things moving. It's as good a 10-12 combo as you'll see in the world, Hill would be mad not to give it a whirl.

While it would provide some interesting attacking options, I still have some hesitation about its defensive strength, particularly given the propensity for bigger runners in the 10-12 channel. That aside, I am going to assume that the coaches probably understand the current state of rugby better than I do and I'm curious to see what configuration is used, 10-12 playmakers or 10-15.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
While it would provide some interesting attacking options, I still have some hesitation about its defensive strength, particularly given the propensity for bigger runners in the 10-12 channel. That aside, I am going to assume that the coaches probably understand the current state of rugby better than I do and I'm curious to see what configuration is used, 10-12 playmakers or 10-15.
I'm not particularly worried to be honest. Beale was completely fine on the EOYT, he's no peaheart like Cips or Cooper. JOC (James O'Connor) has shown he's up to it as well, even if he did miss a read on Carter last year and missed a tackle on McCabe. Who are the other options? Sidey? Mitchell? JOC (James O'Connor) over them every single time. It's a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.