• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Yeah, we'll just bench one of our bright young stars, who manages to get through a heap load of work, make fair few tackles (lead the comp almost) and our more than likely new captain, who is pretty much the heart and soul of the team. It's not NSW.

Who? Jones? Really?

I would not dream of speaking on behalf of the Rebels members or fans, but I reckon any poll in the country would probably have Delve as the choice of both 2013 captain and current "heart and soul" of the team.

Just my 2c.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Who? Jones? Really?

I would not dream of speaking on behalf of the Rebels members or fans, but I reckon any poll in the country would probably have Delve as the choice of both 2013 captain and current "heart and soul" of the team.

Just my 2c.
Sorry to confuse you there Daz. Was referring to Jones and Delve. The 'heart & soul' etc. was Delve.

T

TOCC

Hmmmm...... Coincidence???

If the cap fits
Our story about an Australian province rorting the salary cap by illegally paying a player via his club through a ''ground fee'' invoice system has caused major dramas. While the ARU has begun investigations, one of the clubs alleged to be involved in the system had an emergency meeting just a few days ago after the scam was revealed in The Sun-Herald. The meeting was attended by a benefactor who is anxious to dissociate himself from any blame. For the province involved, if the ARU get solid evidence, there will be repercussions. Heads will roll.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/fading-force-cheika-snub-hits-hard-in-perth-20120719-22d4q.html#ixzz2161x6LJN

MELBOURNE Rebels chairman and chief financial backer Harold Mitchell intends to step down before the end of the year. But he won't take his cash with him.
Media buyer Mitchell helped bring the Rebels to Melbourne in 2009.
Increasing business commitments have seen him spend less time involved with the Rebels.
Mitchell will remain the Rebels' major financial backer and have a representative sit on the club board.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/rebels-2013.10646/page-16

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Since we've discussed the back-line, what should the all important back-row be?

6. Jones, 7. Higgers 8. Delve

I can't see Higgers fitting in anywhere else. I hope we don't push out Jones, we'd be stupid to.

That back row could maybe work at a Super Rugby level... maybe. I know there's no cut and dry formula to a backrow but the reality is you need to pressure the breakdown. Whether that breakdown pressure comes from a cut-and-dry opensider or as a combined effort of 3 backrow players it doesn't matter, but you NEED it.

In the backrow listed above you not only have no threatening breakdown players, but I would debate no players that really even stand out in the area. I think the Rebels have recruited for talent and will have no idea where to put them. Jones will have to play bench and who knows where Saffy will play if he is on the roster next year.

Jones is young and our next best option at 6 and lock so with injuries I wouldn't worry about him getting a run, but I doubt he'd be in my best XV.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Excluding Saffy, the only other option we have at this point in time is Davidson.

Give us your back 3?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Excluding Saffy, the only other option we have at this point in time is Davidson.

Give us your back 3?

At this point in time, yes. But by the start of the season, who knows.

Chamberlain (an open-sider) did not have his contract renewed, there must have been some reasoning behind that. Who knows what'll happen with Saffy. And the Brumbies showed in 2012 how a bold EPS signing can set the league alight.

We have at least one (but possible more) loose forward coming to the Rebels next year and I'd suggest they'd be opensiders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Colby Fainga'a re-signed with the Brumbies? If Pocock ends up signing there maybe he'll look for opportunities elsewhere.

As others have mentioned, Jono Jenkins is an obvious guy to sign who is adequate at Super Rugby level straight away.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Has Colby Fainga'a re-signed with the Brumbies? If Pocock ends up signing there maybe he'll look for opportunities elsewhere.

Yep. If Pocock comes it will be a race between Colby and Ita for the backup role after 2013, so you'd assume one of the two would be available.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I have said it a few times but Jono Jenkins would be a fantastic acquisition. He is one of the most underrated 7's out there and I doubt he will see anytime now that Hoops is heading back to Paddington.

I doubt he would cost much either...

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Some other dilemmas that crossed my mind last night:
- Place kicks, who will take them? This year it was JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale/Huxley, in that order, with Gerrard making a cameo appearance. If the latter 2 go down next season, who steps up to the tee? Kingi?
- Speaking of Gerrard, we are going to miss his boot when kicking for territory

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, we'll just bench one of our bright young stars, who manages to get through a heap load of work, make fair few tackles (lead the comp almost) and our more than likely new captain, who is pretty much the heart and soul of the team. It's not NSW.

That's a bit of a stretch....... but he's in the top 20.......

Most Tackles Made
1. Marcell Coetzee (Sharks)
2. Michael Hooper (Brumbies)
3. Matt Todd (Crusaders)
4. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs)
5. Brodie Retallick (Chiefs)
6. Liam Messam (Chiefs)
7. Siyamthanda Kolisi (Stormers)
8. David Pocock (Force)
9. Gareth Delve (Rebels)
10. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
11. Adam Thomson (Highlanders)
11. Sam Cane (Chiefs)
13. George Whitelock (Crusaders)
14. Jeremy Thrush (Hurricanes)
15. Liam Gill (Reds)
16. Derick Minnie (Lions)
16. Faifili Levave (Hurricanes)
18. Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
18. Luke Jones (Rebels)
20. Sam Carter (Brumbies)

kronic

John Solomon (38)
He was in the top 5 IIRC (along with Pyle), before his 2 week holiday in April and subsequent foot injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.