• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What does that mean?

I think he is (like many of my AFL loving friends) referencing that it isn't a fan-owned club (though what club really is) but rather a corporate entity.

Ownership models don't really bother me though and I think the Rebels have done a great job in seeming like a club/province rather than a business when compared to the circumstantially similar Storm.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I should clarify, it's renewals, but it's all the same.

Funny you mention that en_forcer_er, because from what I recall, the Waratahs & Brumbies now are setup in such a way that their structure is independent from their union. Essentially you could make it private with a switch.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was actually referring to what the Reds count as members, seems like they include those $30 two-game ticket-ship as members don't they?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I should clarify, it's renewals, but it's all the same.

Funny you mention that en_forcer_er, because from what I recall, the Waratahs & Brumbies now are setup in such a way that their structure is independent from their union. Essentially you could make it private with a switch.

It's interesting isn't it, wonder how it'll work out in the long term.

I was actually referring to what the Reds count as members, seems like they include those $30 two-game ticket-ship as members don't they?

Fair enough, both are interesting conversations in themselves haha.

T

TOCC

You are confusing yourself with the Waratahs...
http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/Membership/Packages.aspx

Reds do offer a 3 game membership which is only offered later in the season unlike the Tahs who offer it from the start.. For the record the Reds had already signed 30'000 members in 2012 by the time this membership was offered.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
It's interesting isn't it, wonder how it'll work out in the long term.

For the Tahs, not so good so far. There is an article posted, from The Australian, on the Waratahs 2013 thread (post #883) which outlines the views of the NSWRU chairman, Nick Farr-Jones.

Here's a direct link to the article:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...rity-about-foley/story-e6frg7o6-1226437149814

By the sounds of things, if NFJ is still chairman at the end of the five year term, there will be changes to the terms of the licence at the very least.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Edwin-Maka-with-finau_2796410.jpg

Monster Maka turning heads in Toulouse

Edwin Maka, nephew of former Toulouse and international number eights Finau and Isitolo Maka, has joined the French champions.

There's a new Maka in Toulouse...and he weighs 130kg!

Standing at 2m02, 19-year-old Edwin Maka arrived in Toulouse from Australia this July hoping to follow in the footsteps of his uncles.

Former Tongan captain Finau, and former All Black and current Tonga coach Isitolo Maka, became household names during their playing days in the Toulouse back row, but their nephew could become an even bigger star.

The latest member of the family to sign with Toulouse has inked a deal until 2014 and has started training with the team.

"I like the group, the guys are friendly and easy to approach," said the Auckland-born Edwin Maka, who started training under the watchful eye of uncle Finau, who spent nine years in rouge et noir.

"The method of training here is very different. It's very physical. The infrastructure is much better than where I was before.

"I'd like to improve my fitness because my power alone will not be good enough [to make the first team]."

Don't expect him to gain a lot of game time in his first season since French international Louis Picamoles is the incumbent, but given his pedigree and size, it surely won't take long for Maka to make an impact at Stade Ernest-Wallon.

Although he has signed an 'espoirs' (youth) contract, he is currently taking French lessons, hoping to pass the DELF 2 level, the prerequisite for a professional contract for a foreign player at Toulouse.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7904548,00.html

Not sure how to feel about this. While initially feeling nothing but disappointment at the loss of a promising youngster, maybe a few years in Toulouse will speed his development and have him return a player ready to make his mark.

However, if he is in any way successful then it is unlikely we would be unable to compete with the money Toulouse can offer. We would then be left to hope that family, lifestyle or homesickness can overcome the pay differential.

Unfortunately, his playing in France means he is ineligible for Wallabies selection. I'm not in any way suggesting that he would be anywhere near selection, but without this carrot for the future he is far more likely to pledge his allegiance to Tonga.

The loss of a player such as Edwin Maka is also a timely reminder that Australian rugby must develop players that fail to make Australian schoolboys. Maka was part of the 2011 Victorian U18 Division 1 team that made history with their first win over a NSW team (NSW II). Standout players for Victoria that day were Edwin Maka, Nigel Tunavassa and Nuia Puaka.

In an article at the time newly appointed Head Coach of the Rebels, Damien Hill said:
"As a Club, we are working hard to ensure that in the near future, we have a home grown player pulling on the Rebels jersey, who has come through the VRU state teams and the Rebel Rugby programs. These young men who made history in the Divison I Champs are certainly known to us – it is great to think that they are fast becoming known to the rest of Australia."
(http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/3695/Default.aspx)

If the Rebels were indeed monitoring Maka does anyone know whether an alternative to Toulouse was offered? Or even have an opinion on whether an offer should have been made by the Rebels?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm a Toulouse supporter, however disappointed he's not playing here. Would obviously prefer him in the navy blue than the red and black.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd be surprised if he came back, he has everything he needs. He'll get plenty of international honours for Tonga (in time) and make plenty of money. Plus, Toulouse took a big punt on him and you'd surely feel loyalty to repay that (in a similar way to Lealiifano).

Disappointing to see the article mention his Auckland routes but not his Melbourne upbringing.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Just a heads up to any supporters in the Army and/or interested in a supporter bay for the Lions tour game.

The ARU have informed me that a group booking is possible. I'm currently in discussion with them, as the Rebels have no involvement with the fixture, it's an ARU event.

I'm not going to let the so-called "Sea of Red" walk all over us. We are going to give our boys a leg up.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The memberships website went live by mistake yesterday (it's gone again).

Prices have come down a fair bit. Campaign is a bit lame though.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Just a heads up to any supporters in the Army and/or interested in a supporter bay for the Lions tour game.

The ARU have informed me that a group booking is possible. I'm currently in discussion with them, as the Rebels have no involvement with the fixture, it's an ARU event.

I'm not going to let the so-called "Sea of Red" walk all over us. We are going to give our boys a leg up.

Kronic, looks like I am moving to Melbourne in a month or so. Pencil me in for the Lions game and as a new Rebels supporter

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If that's the worst problem you guys have got then you're not in too much trouble. Me? I'm a Tah supporter.

Still no word on Saffy? And by my count there are seven spots still vacant in the squad including the EPS.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Toulouse has a long history with the Maka familly, both Finau and Isitolo have been playing for a while there.
I believe he came recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.