• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I only discovered the forum last week.

Here is what I found out re: 2013 Rebels during the week:
- Eddie Aholelei, Cadeyrn Neville and Nic Stirzaker all have been promoted from 2012 EPS to 2013 main squad;
- Despite having 4 hookers in our squad in the first two years we are only planning on having 3 in our 2013 squad. Robinson, Tyrell and possibly Holmes or possibly someone younger;
- The Rebels are still considering whether to sign Ryan Hodson and/or Hugh Perret for 2013. We may sign none, one or both of them;
- The four new recruits (Higgers, Tyrell, Thomson and Rokobaro) are the only recruits the Rebels have signed up until this stage;
- Isaiah Mosese has apparently been playing well in grade competition but the Rebels have not decided whether to re-sign him;
- An up and coming Victorian is not too far away from being included in the EPS and could even happen in 2013; and
- The Rebels are in no rush to finalise their squad for next season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting stuff Scooter, mind if I ask you questions about early point individually?

- Eddie Aholelei, Cadeyrn Neville and Nic Stirzaker all have been promoted from 2012 EPS to 2013 main squad;

Eddie Aholelei has been promoted and not Alo-Emile? I know Aholelei held his body together for more of the year but A-E is very promising. Does this mean we are losing A-E?

- Despite having 4 hookers in our squad in the first two years we are only planning on having 3 in our 2013 squad. Robinson, Tyrell and possibly Holmes or possibly someone younger;

A sensible decision, but if you're going to name 2 older hookers in Tyrell and Robinson you'd hope the 3rd would be a developing player that could add value to the team in the future. No uncontracted name comes to me right now... perhaps that's the problem.

- The Rebels are still considering whether to sign Ryan Hodson and/or Hugh Perret for 2013. We may sign none, one or both of them;

Well with 2 looseys leaving (Chamberlain and Lipman) and one signed (Higgers), you'd imagine one loosey spot would be open plus POSSIBLY another couple if either Saffy doesn't mend or that 4th hooker spot is allotted to a loosey.

You'd say the bloke picked would have to be an opensider (so the two above are obvious candidates). Other options (and I'm making up named here) could be Lei Tomiki or AJ Gilbert. Gilbert would come cheap but since he's already training with the Rebels and didn't get picked over Perret you'd say they either don't consider him a 7 or don't rate him.

Perhaps if you'd not looking for a 7 specifically you could look Leroy Houston's way? But we do really really need a 7.

- The four new recruits (Higgers, Tyrell, Thomson and Rokobaro) are the only recruits the Rebels have signed up until this stage;

Is Rokobaro a winger or a 5/8? If he's not a 5/8 Daruda is keen for a contract, he's still 26 and quite promising.

- Isaiah Mosese has apparently been playing well in grade competition but the Rebels have not decided whether to re-sign him;

Can he be EPS again? I don't think his performances for Norths show he is a Super rugby player yet but he is promising.

- An up and coming Victorian is not too far away from being included in the EPS and could even happen in 2013; and

Out of curiosity is it Alan F (the Oz U20 winger) or the Norths Half-back?

- The Rebels are in no rush to finalise their squad for next season.

Keep the speculation rolling!

Another question for a clearly knowledgeable person, what's King's situation? Will he be resigned? Despite a shitty 2012 I put money on him to be a really great player.

C

Cando

A sensible decision, but if you're going to name 2 older hookers in Tyrell and Robinson you'd hope the 3rd would be a developing player that could add value to the team in the future. No uncontracted name comes to me right now. perhaps that's the problem.

look no further than Aus U20 hooker Hugh Roach.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Interesting stuff Scooter, mind if I ask you questions about early point individually?

Another question for a clearly knowledgeable person, what's King's situation? Will he be resigned? Despite a shitty 2012 I put money on him to be a really great player.

Here are my responses:

Paul Alo-Emile was in our main squad this year and will be in our squad again in 2013.

I agree if you are going to have two older hookers that the third one should be a younger player.

I thought we may have already signed one or both of Perrett and Hodson for next year but that is not the case.

As far as I know Rokobaro is a winger or fullback. Daruda wouldn't be a bad back up for our number 10.

Not sure re: EPS rules but assume given Mosese has not played and his age we should be able to sign him in the EPS.

Not sure about who the Vic player is in contention for EPS. From what I have heard re: Alan F we should sign him, it would be terrible if such a promising Vic slipped through our fingers.

James King signed a two year contract so he will be here next year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
should look to Brisbane premier grade comp people liek scott daruda, brett gillespie, dan linde, shannon walker would be good signigns and all have pro experience

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My money would be on Daruda, still young, experience, and he has shown a lot of poise in the 2 games to date with Manly.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My money would be on Daruda, still young, experience, and he has shown a lot of poise in the 2 games to date with Manly.

Daruda... get around him Rebels. However, this would leave us with 3 sort of 10s (Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), and Daruda) and no actual 10s.

Unless Daruda has quit the 10/12 thing.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Most fans I know, aren't keen on journeymen. Unfortunately, that's the part and parcel of Aussie Rugby.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Rumour in the HUN today that we are looking at Afghan born NZ Warriors back Omar Slaimankhel.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rumour in the HUN today that we are looking at Afghan born NZ Warriors back Omar Slaimankhel.

Everything on his wikipedia article makes this sound like a pretty good get. Union background, great athlete, young/unproven enough to be affordable but promising. Still, yet another Kiwi coming across when there are so many promising players floating around is disappointing. Why poach an up-and-coming Kiwi with a union background from league when their are literal dozens of Aussies in a similar situation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Slaimankhel

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I Stand by my Brett Gillespie comment. Was Australia U21 Captain. Was Reds Academy and has been playing last few years in Japan and is now setting QLD Premier Rugby alight probably close to the best centre in the comp with the two lads from easts.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Everything on his wikipedia article makes this sound like a pretty good get. Union background, great athlete, young/unproven enough to be affordable but promising. Still, yet another Kiwi coming across when there are so many promising players floating around is disappointing. Why poach an up-and-coming Kiwi with a union background from league when their are literal dozens of Aussies in a similar situation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Slaimankhel
Replacement for Izzy? I agree with your comments though.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The Rebels back office is pretty much on the ball if they are ready to release 2013 membership packages in August 2012.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Good for the Reds as well. I see on the Reds website the goal is for 40,000 members. That's massive!

I recall the Tahs release theirs a bit later. Last year was around Sept/Oct.

Status
Not open for further replies.