• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the most important thing for the Rebels to realise is no Aussie Super Rugby side has seen success off the back of buying up expensive players.

The Reds and Brumbies both had rosters of up-and-comers and other teams' also rans when they turned their fortunes around. They were both cheap as and sure, as they performed the players costs went up (which is why Higgers plays in Melbourne now) but it didn't start that way.

We had the chance to build a team on the cheap with no pressure, like the Kings and Auckland are doing, and we didn't take it. Now we spent probably the most out of the Aussie teams for the least results.

It's sad.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
for the record, i wasn't agreeing with greg. relocation will not happen. the pains for the rebels are through the massive start up costs that they have not been able to recover (partly due to bad attendances). they have a big annual check from rabo direct. the force had ARU support, the rebels did not. all this says to me is that JON's strategy of private ownership is a failure. it barely works in South Africa, unlikely to work too well in NZ (save for maybe two franchises) and won't work here in any sport. all sports need the lifeline from the national body. the afl, without a national body has probably a third of their clubs losing significant money annually and another 3rd barely breaking even.

Rebels need to do practice matches each year in:
Geelong
Hobart
Adelaide
a 4th in ballarat every now and then.
singapore wouldnt make them a dime and is pointless. i'd suggest throwing one regular season game against a the smallest drawing Saffa side adelaide if a profit can be underwritten by adelaide/SA.
rather than heading off to europe on a tour, they should try and get Leinster or Munster etc to come down here on a development tour. that's probably a waste of money in my opnion to head over there.
if they want to do a pre-season tour, head to NZ or the pacific islands.
but they should really grow the connection to adelaide. it's a 1m person market with a lot of rugby fans on the back of the 7s.
1st year of membership i sat beside a bloke who flew in from adelaide for every home game....he should be rewarded.

either way, GWS, Gold Coast all lose money, it's a long term investment. membership numbers have grown every year and as soon as they can string some good games together the crowds will increase. sprinkle good efforts with a win and it will be happy days.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the most important thing for the Rebels to realise is no Aussie Super Rugby side has seen success off the back of buying up expensive players.

The Reds and Brumbies both had rosters of up-and-comers and other teams' also rans when they turned their fortunes around. They were both cheap as and sure, as they performed the players costs went up (which is why Higgers plays in Melbourne now) but it didn't start that way.

We had the chance to build a team on the cheap with no pressure, like the Kings and Auckland are doing, and we didn't take it. Now we spent probably the most out of the Aussie teams for the least results.

It's sad.

i agree.
i always said we should've chased one of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. both were unnecessary. the cost of Higgers, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale is too much and isn't going to reward us as we have a lower average salary to disburse amongst the rest of the team. leaves us with 3-5 sweet players and then a step down. i'd rather everyone be a bit more equal and thus consistent.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I cannot fathom why you wound want to send a trial to Singapore though when there is so much to be done in there own state.

There was big money on offer for a regular Rebs v Saders trial, but I think if the VRU take over, they'll knock it back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good comments from Freier as per usual.

He hasn't tried to downplay the situation, he hasn't tried to hang Kurtley Beale out to try but he has fully acknowledged that the problem was alcohol related and KB (Kurtley Beale) was intoxicated which was completely inappropriate and his violent actions from that point were a disgrace.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I used to think that Adam Freier was a bit of a lad. But his maturity has really come through the last couple of years. Good on him. And here is hoping that Beale does get any help needed. But there has to be consequences, since last time there weren't any.

D

daz

Delve is a tough bastard; he probably didn't even know Kurtley had hit him until he read about it in the paper.

Look, I struggle with what Freier said. Maybe the Rebels have been secretly working with KB (Kurtley Beale) on his alcohol issues from day dot for all I know, but really, it takes this incident (and the publicity) for the Rebels to say the kid needs help?

Suddenly they come over all caring and concerned for his welfare?

Maybe I am being a bit too cynical, but I do have to wonder if all this new-found care and love would have been forth coming had it not made international news.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I used to think that Adam Freier was a bit of a lad. But his maturity has really come through the last couple of years. Good on him. And here is hoping that Beale does get any help needed. But there has to be consequences, since last time there weren't any.

He went to Waverley College so you were probably right.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
singapore wouldnt make them a dime and is pointless. i'd suggest throwing one regular season game against a the smallest drawing Saffa side adelaide if a profit can be underwritten by adelaide/SA.

Standard practise is the city would pay a flat sum and wear any profits/losses from the event as well as promote it.

There's plenty of coin to be made mate, city's love this kind of investment. I know a few influential fat cats at St.Kilda AFL club that are laughing about how much Wellington is paying them.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
Delve is a tough bastard; he probably didn't even know Kurtley had hit him until he read about it in the paper.

Look, I struggle with what Freier said. Maybe the Rebels have been secretly working with KB (Kurtley Beale) on his alcohol issues from day dot for all I know, but really, it takes this incident (and the publicity) for the Rebels to say the kid needs help?

Suddenly they come over all caring and concerned for his welfare?

Maybe I am being a bit too cynical, but I do have to wonder if all this new-found care and love would have been forth coming had it not made international news.
Until this incident happened why would they have been working with Beale over his drinking. There has been no suggestion that he has been turning up to training drunk all the time or other on duty indescretions. Yes there have been incidents out of season but they are not the rebels problems to work through. It is only once it impacts your work should your employer become involved.

If my employer came up to me and said "Even though it does not impact your work we think you drink too much outside of work" I would tell them to get stuffed and that it was none of their business. It is pretty much the same scenario here.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Until this incident happened why would they have been working with Beale over his drinking. There has been no suggestion that he has been turning up to training drunk all the time or other on duty indescretions. Yes there have been incidents out of season but they are not the rebels problems to work through. It is only once it impacts your work should your employer become involved.

If my employer came up to me and said "Even though it does not impact your work we think you drink too much outside of work" I would tell them to get stuffed and that it was none of their business. It is pretty much the same scenario here.
Are you 'taking the piss' or been on it?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
. they should try and get Leinster or Munster etc to come down here on a development tour. that's probably a waste of money in my opnion to head over there.

If you got either of these teams over for a game and advertised it right in not only Melbourne but Sydney you would end up with a sell out for the games. Maybe actually do a deal with the Tahs and get them playing in both city's. Enough Irish in both cities would go, if Munster was playing in Sydney I would fly up and go to that as well.

Timing would be the key here though, they already play a long season and have a couple of practice games, I know Munster play London Irish every year just before the season starts in Cork.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Kurtley Beale is standing down indefinitely to deal with off field issues.

He also copped a 'substantial' fine instead of going through a disciplinary hearing.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
We can only hope that there are requirements that he has to meet before he gets back on the field. For either the Rebels or the Wallabies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Troubled Wallabies five-eighth Kurtley Beale has been stood down from rugby indefinitely and will undergo counselling after being sent home from the Rebels tour of South Africa last weekend.
Beale has also been fined an undisclosed amount, believed to be somewhere between $20,000 and $50,000, after an incident in which he assaulted Rebels captain Gareth Delve and team mate Cooper Vuna.
A statement from the ARU said the 2011 John Eales Medal winner had acknowledged he needed to deal with off field issues before returning to playing rugby. No time line for his return was given. The ARU said the matter would be assessed on a progressive basis.
The decision is the outcome of 24 hours of meetings between Beale, his management, the Rebels, the ARU and the Rugby Union Players' Association. The ARU said Beale admitted his guilt over the incident in Durban and had forgone the option of a disciplinary hearing in front of an ARU tribunal.
Advertisement
Vuna is serving a one-week ban for his involvement in the fight.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...ndefinitely-20130328-2gx97.html#ixzz2OovBjH6l

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Troubled Wallabies five-eighth Kurtley Beale has been stood down from rugby indefinitely and will undergo counselling after being sent home from the Rebels tour of South Africa last weekend.
Beale has also been fined an undisclosed amount, believed to be somewhere between $20,000 and $50,000, after an incident in which he assaulted Rebels captain Gareth Delve and team mate Cooper Vuna.
A statement from the ARU said the 2011 John Eales Medal winner had acknowledged he needed to deal with off field issues before returning to playing rugby. No time line for his return was given. The ARU said the matter would be assessed on a progressive basis.
The decision is the outcome of 24 hours of meetings between Beale, his management, the Rebels, the ARU and the Rugby Union Players' Association. The ARU said Beale admitted his guilt over the incident in Durban and had forgone the option of a disciplinary hearing in front of an ARU tribunal.
Advertisement
Vuna is serving a one-week ban for his involvement in the fight.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...ndefinitely-20130328-2gx97.html#ixzz2OovBjH6l

This ia a good thing. Hope you deal with the inner demons and come back stronger Kurtley. Show us all what kind of a man you can be.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.