• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speaking on Rugby HQ, Rebels communications manager Adam Freier questioned Beale’s statement to Rugby HQ, saying the Rebels' and the ARU's media releases clearly showed Beale's admission of a problem with alcohol.

Freier said that Beale's statement to Rugby HQ had not been endorsed by the club and that the former schoolboy prodigy was deeply remorseful for his actions in Durban.

"I have to admit that those words from Kurtley were certainly done to you and to Fox exclusively, they weren't endorsed by the club," Freier told Rugby HQ.

"The opening part of that paragraph there suggests that he does have a drinking problem in whatever environment he represents himself - so as I said it is about Kurtley getting better."

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Most people with drinking problems don't think they have a problem. That is the issue and that's the main focus of treatment.

And this "I had no intent to hit Cooper or Gareth. It was very stupid and disrespectful. I asked for time and space to calm down and wasn’t able to get it."

Acting like a dick then getting upset with his mates when they make him cut it out. He is still playing victim in this quote.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Prefer side on, really not a fan of watching rugby from behind the posts.
BD64FXNCIAAbMNp.jpg:large

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
And this "I had no intent to hit Cooper or Gareth. It was very stupid and disrespectful. I asked for time and space to calm down and wasn’t able to get it."

Acting like a dick then getting upset with his mates when they make him cut it out. He is still playing victim in this quote.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2
He was on a Bus with a rugby team, of course you can't get some space.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
He was on a Bus with a rugby team, of course you can't get some space.

I can almost see him, shirtless because he was feeling hot and yelling and carrying on because he is caught up in all the happiness around him after the game then Delve wonders into the path of his fist. Immediately he recognizes the folly of this moment he entreats all around him to back up and give him some space so he may find his calm.

I was not there but this makes logical sense.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You don't have to be an alcoholic to have an alcohol problem. I've got a few mates who are definitely not alcoholics but when they hit a certain amount of booze, they get aggressive, unreasonable and uncontrollable.

There is, of course, a large degree of personal responsibility that is needed here, but we also should appreciate the environment Kurtley has been in since he was a schoolboy. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that his history and personal situation are at least a bit more complex than media reports indicate.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You don't have to be an alcoholic to have an alcohol problem. I've got a few mates who are definitely not alcoholics but when they hit a certain amount of booze, they get aggressive, unreasonable and uncontrollable.

There is, of course, a large degree of personal responsibility that is needed here, but we also should appreciate the environment Kurtley has been in since he was a schoolboy. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that his history and personal situation are at least a bit more complex than media reports indicate.
People that act like that are aggressive, unreasonable and uncontrollable. Getting a skinful might help release it, but the latent behaviour is there. It's a behavioural problem as much as it is an alcohol problem.

D

daz

We'll be right. There's a lot of good things around the corner, I think.

I just scouted ahead to have a look for the good things around the corner.

All I found around the corner was a blood stained Rebels jumper and a note that says "No good things around this corner, you fucking rabble".

It was signed by "The Cheetahs".

Uh oh.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If the Rebels trot him back onto the field in three weeks and say he is good enough to play (like Barba) I will be filthy.

Not because I don't think he can gain some perspective in 3 weeks and not because getting back into rubgy would be bad for him. But because it is tacit approval of his behaviour. It says to him "you are too important to properly punish".

This indefinite timeline should have also had a minimum length component. I think 8 weeks would be fair for hitting your captain and a team mate as recidivist offender.

It's ok to treat the issue with kid gloves and get him the help he needs, but their has to be some stick with the carrot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Adam Freier spoke really well. Hard to believe he's a footballer only one year out of the game. Wouldn't find that in any other sport.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Beale already having other boozy encounters, I'm starting to think he has a grog problem. It's something rebels and ARU should look into.
With Beale already having other boozy encounters, I'm starting to think he has a grog problem. It's something rebels and ARU should look into.

Just Quoting myself As what I said raised a few eyebrows with me not knowing to much about beales grog problem.
Don't feel so bad now as Beale himself Denise he has a alcohol issue.
Denining The probelm is a great start for his counselling and rehabilitation.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
People that act like that are aggressive, unreasonable and uncontrollable. Getting a skinful might help release it, but the latent behaviour is there. It's a behavioural problem as much as it is an alcohol problem.

Absolutely agree.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/uni...side-of-beales-brilliance-20130328-2gxni.html

News today that the Rebels employ a renowned sports psychologist. I wonder if they thought to employ a counsellor who specializes in anger management? Would have seemed a no-brainer after the last incident.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
My sense BR is that this is possibly the complete truth and was a spontaneous comment, i.e Beale hadn't set out to hit anyone, gets into the argument and early on says he just wants to be left alone or similar but that's not going to happen as the bus is about to arrive (and potential cameras) , red mist descends, he does something stupid and disrespectful. The camp, via Adam, are arguing he had a lot of remorse.

My bigger concern is the denial re drink, but in fairness he was trying to clarify he can be good on occasions with it, isn't an excessive drinker/alcoholic etc. That could well be true to of course, if he has an anger management issue then the drink is a faciltator.

re Adam, we all knew he was good with media but from where I sit as someone who has qualifications in there area and works in sensitive environments, that was a bit of a masterclass in media management driven from a base of informed integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.