• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/uni...side-of-beales-brilliance-20130328-2gxni.html

News today that the Rebels employ a renowned sports psychologist.

Also from that article:
Much is at stake in Melbourne. Fairfax Media understands two potential sponsors have pulled out of negotiations with the club, citing the weekend's incident plus the infamous jacuzzi photograph.....​
I suppose they're plausible, but we're unlikely to get details about these pullouts. The jacuzzi appears again. Wouldn't have thought it was such a big deal, but maybe it was for some.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Also from that article:
Much is at stake in Melbourne. Fairfax Media understands two potential sponsors have pulled out of negotiations with the club, citing the weekend's incident plus the infamous jacuzzi photograph...​
I suppose they're plausible, but we're unlikely to get details about these pullouts. The jacuzzi appears again. Wouldn't have thought it was such a big deal, but maybe it was for some.

The reaction on G&GR would suggest that there is a bit of a generational divide on that question. I doubt many 20- or 30-somethings are calling the shots for potential sponsors.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The reaction on G&GR would suggest that there is a bit of a generational divide on that question. I doubt many 20- or 30-somethings are calling the shots for potential sponsors.
i just barely qualify to be considered in my 30's :p but seem to think the pic and the fracas are chalk and cheese. One shows a light hearted side of what goes on off the field, while the punch up is anything but.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How good was Adam Freier last night! I wish more clubs had someone like him around.

Really impressed with the level of discussion on a sensitive issue. Well done guys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I have been impressed with the Rebels Club releasing the contents of the presser to their Members before going to the Media.

It is a simple measure that costs little and shows a respect for the Club Members even though many will not read their emails before it hits the newspapers.

Well done Rebels Club.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
jacuzzi 'incident' - ridiculous. that was a picture of a bunch of friends partying. they all made themselves look a little knobby but to suggest sponsors are pulling out cause a few friends had beers in a jacuzzi is absurd.
sponsors don't pull out of clubs when players get smashed on mad monday and make massive fools of themselves and their clubs.
don't lump the two occurrences together.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Also from that article:
Much is at stake in Melbourne. Fairfax Media understands two potential sponsors have pulled out of negotiations with the club, citing the weekend's incident plus the infamous jacuzzi photograph...​
Same. I simply think they're a bunch of wankers for doing it and unfollow them from any social media.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I know of about 20 Irish guys in Melbourne who are all rugby fans yet none of them really follow Super Rugby. There is such a huge potential to attract more rugby fans in Melbourne that the Rebels don't even attempt. It seems all they want is Friday night rugby for the Corporate's before they return to Sydney and Brisbane for the weekend.

Our fixture for this season is really the biggest joke, all Friday night games except for the Kings(Lucky to get 10k) which is the one Saturday night game. The Crusader was a Saturday last year and got 18k to the ground. Where you compare to the Blues which was 15k on the Thursday before Easter.

A mixture of Friday and Saturday games is needed, how can we encourage supporters from areas like Geelong etc to come to games when they can't make it on time? Does not suit fans from even the suburbs let alone regional Victoria areas.
This. I'm sick of f**king Friday games. It kills any supporter culture, camaraderie in the pubs before the game etc.

I know it doesn't stop us, but for the greater base, perhaps.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
agree. i personally don't mind them as i am sub 30, no kids and generally can get off work with ample time to spare on friday.
but - you're right. it's a major deterrent to those that don't work in the cbd and or have kids.
i'd imagine a game with even a 5pm kick off on a saturday would be a good draw. those in the outer burbs can commute in, those in ballarat or geelong can pop in for a game. ditto fans they may have won in gippsland from their practice matches down there.
if you have kids who go to school near your home, you're not going to head home, eat there, and come back into the city for the game.
i'd wager they are missing out on a couple thousand people a game by the scheduling.
the number of sydney commuters who stick around for the game on a friday night, i would wager is verrry low.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
as in for when the tahs play in melbourne on a friday night? fair enough, but that is one game - all but 1 is on a friday night. a lot of the NZ teams and the reds attract familes and they would pull in more if on a saturday.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone familiar with the NRL will know (and probably hate) Todd Carney. Similar problem that Beale has in some ways, although Beale's is not as extreme as Carney's.

Carney also spent years denying he had an alcohol problem, despite binging and running into trouble with the law many times. Carney was also a protected species at Canberra until he screwed up so much he left them with no choice but to be sacked. His behaviour was so extreme that the NRL deregistered Carney for a year and no pro team touched him during that time.

Beale's claim of not having an alcohol problem is just insulting to fans, both his supporters and detractors alike, just like Carney's was. Carney's behaviour only improved after admitting he had a problem, something that took years and years. Even after Carney was sacked, and forced into a year off playing park league, there were still lots of stories of him getting on the drink and misbehaving in shocking ways. Only after strict control and being forced to admit he had a problem did the scandals stop frequently occurring.

Until Beale can publicly admit he has a problem we can sadly wait for the next bit of unacceptable behaviour to occur.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The other Carney issue was that he was easily led by team mates. In his return to the Roosters, he was led back to drinking by a few team mates and then got sacked by a second team as a result. The Sharks seem to have done a better job at keeping the bad influences at bay.

I think that the same needs to be done with Beale (and Cooper too). Isolate him from bad influences, which would probably be the other amigos and team mates who like to muck up and frequently get out for a drink.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
My take on Beale's statement was that he acknowledged that he had an issue with "unregulated" alcohol.

When there are "adults" present and implicitly forcing him to behave, he is OK. Behaviour and anger management are not an issue on those occasions.

When he is out with the bro's, then it is game on and look out. Behaviour deteriorates and he ends up in trouble.

Habits will take a while to be broken.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kurtley was raised by his grandparents, IIRC, and went to boarding school at the age of 12 or so. His first year out of school he was straight into professional rugby.

Without intending any disprespect to his grandparents, or other relatives, it might be that he has never had a proper father/son relationship, nor has he had the time, space, and peer support that most of us got during our teenage years. When I farked up, which was often, it was on a small scale, and certainly did not appear in the papers. And I wanted to make my way in the world, so my reputation was important, which acted as an incentive to behave well, most of the time, anyway.

A professional footballer's playing reputation is the only thing that matters, unless and until he well and truly steps over the bounds, and keeps stepping.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Unregulated alcohol is a crock. If you have an issue with it you need to do away with it, regulated or not.

He also needs a catalyst to address his issues properly and not some band aid solution to sweeten up the present. Sadly in this case getting the sack is probably the bitter pill he needs to swallow.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
So someone claiming to have a personal insight into the Vuna/Beale incident made a post on the Rugby Union subreddit this morning to explain (they've been verified by the mods there):

"Just thought I'd share with you what happened last Sunday morning. After the match, the Rebels hit the town and Kurtley got smashed (drunk). Beale was already in shit by the club because the day after the infamous jacuzzi trip, he failed to turn up to an event where he would meet 100 odd school children.
Upon arriving at the teams hotel, Gareth Delve told Beale to put his shirt back on and quietly go back to his room. Beale sucker punched Delve, who held his composure and didn't retaliate. This is where Vuna steps in and tells him it isn't on. Seeing the errors of his ways Beale returned to his room and did his homework on how the team can improve their performance...
Oh wait, different sport. Beale then proceeded to punch Vuna. This is where it gets interesting. What isn't reported is that Vuna then proceeded to knock Beale out and that's the reason for his 1 week suspension.
Beale's "suspension" isn't about punishment, but rather giving him the time to be treated for alcohol abuse."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So someone claiming to have a personal insight into the Vuna/Beale incident made a post on the Rugby Union subreddit this morning to explain (they've been verified by the mods there):

"Just thought I'd share with you what happened last Sunday morning. After the match, the Rebels hit the town and Kurtley got smashed (drunk). Beale was already in shit by the club because the day after the infamous jacuzzi trip, he failed to turn up to an event where he would meet 100 odd school children.
Upon arriving at the teams hotel, Gareth Delve told Beale to put his shirt back on and quietly go back to his room. Beale sucker punched Delve, who held his composure and didn't retaliate. This is where Vuna steps in and tells him it isn't on. Seeing the errors of his ways Beale returned to his room and did his homework on how the team can improve their performance.
Oh wait, different sport. Beale then proceeded to punch Vuna. This is where it gets interesting. What isn't reported is that Vuna then proceeded to knock Beale out and that's the reason for his 1 week suspension.
Beale's "suspension" isn't about punishment, but rather giving him the time to be treated for alcohol abuse."

That is the same story I heard, which ultimately came from inside the tent, with one additional fact: The Delve sucker punch happened in a lift. When Vuna punched Beale he fell like a plank backwards out of the lift doors - ending up half in half out of the lift.
Some slapstick never goes astray.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That is the same story I heard, which ultimately came from inside the tent, with one additional fact: The Delve sucker punch happened in a lift. When Vuna punched Beale he fell like a plank backwards out of the lift doors - ending up half in half out of the lift.
Some slapstick never goes astray.

I just knew there was absolutely no way that after an entire night of drinking Vuna just stood there and did nothing after the sucker punch, it made no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.