• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Citriani?
Mate we live in Melbourne, you could still ask 10 people here and 9 of them wouldn't have a clue who Danny Cipriani is.

Beale and O'Connor are on all the advertising (The little amount there is)

Mortlock was the key figure for the Rebels in 2011, Cipriani was more the get some x-pats who know who he is.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Mate we live in Melbourne, you could still ask 10 people here and 9 of them wouldn't have a clue who Danny Cipriani is.

Mortlock was the key figure for the Rebels in 2011, Cipriani was more the get some x-pats who know who he is.

I agree, but that is the direct comparison. I feel he would need some form of counselling and done properly should be a couple of months unlike Barba (League and 17 days of rehab) then game fitness etc. My hope is that by the time he may be due back (round 11?) the group have moved on, we have knocked up a few more wins and he Must earn his way back in. This way if we don't see him it is a positive.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

Last Time i was in Melbourne 9 out of 10 people didn't know what rugby union was. :)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Strange small Article about Harold Mitchell

Melbourne Rebels chairman Harold Mitchell says he is happy in the the position at the moment, but remained non-committal about whether he would remain so at the end of the club's troubled season.

When pressed for a commitment to the end of the season, he said: ''I can't say anything about that. I just won't answer anything around any of those things.''
Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/mitchell-mum-on-future-plans-20130327-2guox.html#ixzz2OmPtgpds

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder what the split in funds for the super 15 v lions games are?
I would certainly hope that the clubs are getting a large portion of the revenue and little if any to the ARU. All the clubs need the extra dough and by the looks of the Tahs game they will have a full house and I understand the Rebels match is not far behind either. a nice boost to the coffers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Relocation to where lol. The Rebels aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see changes in governance at the Rebels, but location? Please. Let Growden grind his axe.

I don't know mate, the crowd in Hobart went alright.

In all seriousness though, where would we relocate too? BS. That being said, let's play some preseason games in either HK, Tokyo, or Adelaide and win the battle of the hearts/minds of rugby fans there. Hell, we could even throw them a regular season game against a Saffa side because our crowds have little interest.

Having trials in Geelong mades sense but there are bigger fish to fry than Tassie (no ill will to them, but they're a small market and we're an even smaller game there).

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Should play a trial in Ballarat, Bendigo or Albury/Wodonga.

Growden pretty justified in his grilling. I've said the same thing, with much more colourful terms.

Relocation? LOL.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Welcome to the life of a force fan. we have been hearing about relocation since 2007.

IF the ARU have any ball they would rip up Beales contract the same as they did Henjak but they wont.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I don't know mate, the crowd in Hobart went alright.

They got 9000, once.

Melbourne offers rugby the biggest potential of any market. That won't be thrown away for Tasmania or anywhere else after just three years. Let's be realistic.

Here's what may happen, according to the collection of rumours:

1. The club goes back to union ownership, like the existing four teams. The ARU 'bails out' the club like they did for the Reds.
2. The club remains in Melbourne, but is rebranded 'Victoria Rebels' in line with the VRU ownership.
3. A bigger focus is given to the Rebel Rising program and the use of the Rebels as a development tool for VRU players.
4. Trial matches are played in Adelaide, Hobart and Singapore to gain a wider fanbase.

But to suggest the team may move somewhere else is just idiotic. The ARU would sooner wind it up.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Chill Stu, no one except Grumbles thinks there is anything in them relocating and guys are having some fun. It seems to be a done deal that the VRU will take over the license and your other points are all likely to eventuate. Rugby needs a Victorian presence so they won't be moved, western Sydney is the Tahs problem.

I cannot fathom why you wound want to send a trial to Singapore though when there is so much to be done in there own state.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They got 9000, once.

Melbourne offers rugby the biggest potential of any market. That won't be thrown away for Tasmania or anywhere else after just three years. Let's be realistic.

Here's what may happen, according to the collection of rumours:

1. The club goes back to union ownership, like the existing four teams. The ARU 'bails out' the club like they did for the Reds.
2. The club remains in Melbourne, but is rebranded 'Victoria Rebels' in line with the VRU ownership.
3. A bigger focus is given to the Rebel Rising program and the use of the Rebels as a development tool for VRU players.
4. Trial matches are played in Adelaide, Hobart and Singapore to gain a wider fanbase.

But to suggest the team may move somewhere else is just idiotic. The ARU would sooner wind it up.

Sarcasm doesn't work on forums, does it.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There must be someone under an injury cloud.

It would be unfair to assume they've completely lost the plot.
I thought that might be the case, when I first saw it I thought they had just skipped a number. I'd rather see Saffy than Fulglistaller and that looks like it will be where the decision is made. (I don't recall seeing the Rebels with a 5:2)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought that might be the case, when I first saw it I thought they had just skipped a number. I'd rather see Saffy than Fulglistaller and that looks like it will be where the decision is made. (I don't recall seeing the Rebels with a 5:2)

Maybe they're allowing for a potential fight on the bus on the way to the game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.