• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Reds have publicly spoken on Petaia now in the Brisbane Times - not likely in the 2025 plans

Meanwhile, the Reds were resigned to losing star back Jordan Petaia, who was recovering from a shoulder injury suffered during the Super Rugby campaign.

Petaia had reportedly been fielding offers from rival clubs and codes, such as the NFL’s International Player Pathways program and the NRL.
“Jordie’s on a pathway to some other opportunities,” Kiss said. “We’ll keep our finger on the pulse as that evolves.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Would help if either party came out and told us what the plan is. Pretty normal for journos to keep asking questions if they haven't gotten clear answers yet.
It’s pretty clear that there’s nothing to announce yet, but that he’s on the way out. Les’ most recent statement obviously implies as much - not sure what more of an answer you could expect.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It is interesting because Jordy was still rocking up to Reds media events until well after the season ended and seemed happy to be there. I know he was/is still under contract recently but he still seemed very engaged.

My unqualified and uninformed opinion is he's really just holding out for the NFL opportunity and may be coming back if that doesn't happen. I reckon a number of the NRL teams who may have had interest could be a bit colder now - for example the Dragons have picked up Valentine Holmes who seems to be a like for like signing for what they would have been offering Jordy.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d assume Kiss also doesn’t want to say anything that implies to Jordie the door isn’t still open.

If an NFL deal doesn’t come through there wouldn’t there be a very limited number of teams World Wide who have back amounts of spare cash to spend on a player right now? Petaia may need to take a bit of a hit for a season at least.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
This sucks. Jordie is so young and so talented, already done two world cups. He's got so much development to go, he could be anything. Wish we could've convinced him to stay.

Really grim when our most talented youth leave even after starting in union for bit. I.e. Petaia, C. Gordon, Nawaqanitawase.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
This sucks. Jordie is so young and so talented, already done two world cups. He's got so much development to go, he could be anything. Wish we could've convinced him to stay.

Really grim when our most talented youth leave even after starting in union for bit. I.e. Petaia, C. Gordon, Nawaqanitawase.
Cash aside, it makes you think whether the young guys you mentioned feel like they've achieved all they reasonably expect to in Union, and recognise that the Wallabies are not on a trajectory for greater success (e.g., winning a World Cup, Bledisloe, etc.). As you say, pretty grim.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Honestly this might be the best result for all concerned - Petaia gets the time out to get his body right and a chance to chase his dream, while still leaving on good terms with an opportunity to return to the Reds of it doesn't work out. The Reds get a bit more room to move under the cap and aren't in the tricky position of having to plan around Petaia's potential injuries.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in, but this definitely opens the door for a few of those ex rebels, particularly Mason Gordon, Lebron Naea and Lukas Ripley. Good that there still 4 or so tour matches before next season to bring whoever comes in up to speed too.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Honestly this might be the best result for all concerned - Petaia gets the time out to get his body right and a chance to chase his dream, while still leaving on good terms with an opportunity to return to the Reds of it doesn't work out.
This has struck me as something very notable about the recent departures - it's not to say we haven't (mostly) had amicable separations in the past, but I've felt most of the messaging recently has been supportive of players wanting to explore other opportunities. It's nice to see some sense and sensibility when it comes to sporting contracts.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
The medical staff of any NFL program will be very interested in his injury history, no doubt.

Not as much as you think. A mate of mine works for an NFL franchise in media and logistics, he moved over to the US after spending time doing the same thing with a couple of NRL and AFL teams here.

Was talking to him this week about Jordy and specifically his injuries and he was saying the NFL rosters are so big and this international player squad position being an additional roster spot (which also isn’t worth much $$$ initially) means teams will be happy to give him a crack if they reckon he can add decent value when fit.

The NFL commish is also pushing these players down the franchise throats to try and expose and grow the game in other markets. A former top level rugby player who’s played at world cups is high on the list of players they want to succeed. Which essentially means unless he rocks up to training camp missing a leg, he is a decent shot of at least getting onto a roster.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Absolutely free bet when they sign the internationals. If 1/100 ended up making a difference in an actual game for them then it would be a positive outcome. If you stay on a practice squad for the year you make around 225-250k I'd guess the International Player Pathway would be similar it's absolutely nothing for them.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Absolutely free bet when they sign the internationals. If 1/100 ended up making a difference in an actual game for them then it would be a positive outcome. If you stay on a practice squad for the year you make around 225-250k I'd guess the International Player Pathway would be similar it's absolutely nothing for them.
They also always come from other professional sports and bring their own fan base with them to whatever team gets them.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not as much as you think. A mate of mine works for an NFL franchise in media and logistics, he moved over to the US after spending time doing the same thing with a couple of NRL and AFL teams here.

Was talking to him this week about Jordy and specifically his injuries and he was saying the NFL rosters are so big and this international player squad position being an additional roster spot (which also isn’t worth much $$$ initially) means teams will be happy to give him a crack if they reckon he can add decent value when fit.

The NFL commish is also pushing these players down the franchise throats to try and expose and grow the game in other markets. A former top level rugby player who’s played at world cups is high on the list of players they want to succeed. Which essentially means unless he rocks up to training camp missing a leg, he is a decent shot of at least getting onto a roster.
Just another competition looking to poach our talent :rolleyes:

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Mason Gordon still training with Reds for Japan trip it seems

IMG_3426.jpeg