• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd love to see Lucas back.

10s now are Lynagh, HMP and most likely Mason Gordon at least given a shot through pre season. What else is out there and available right now? Jack Stachan playing for Southland in the ITM Cup but not really a 10?

Pasitoa at the Force? Donaldson being the starter and Cron seeming to like Burey as well.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What happened to Pasitoa? Looked to be a somewhat promising prospect but havent seen him in ages.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd love to see Lucas back.

10s now are Lynagh, HMP and most likely Mason Gordon at least given a shot through pre season. What else is out there and available right now? Jack Stachan playing for Southland in the ITM Cup but not really a 10?

Pasitoa at the Force? Donaldson being the starter and Cron seeming to like Burey as well.
Campbell has been getting a bit of time there, but that's probably only as coverage. Maybe the same for Werchon. Taj Annan would be an option but the rumour is he's heading the Newcastle Knights, this may have changed that though.

If we bring someone else in I think it's either Mason Gordon at that base level (with off season time with the squad), or we go for experience - Isaac Lucas would be ideal as mix of experience, potential and coverage, but Sam Greene might be more achievable as an older head to cover 10. Charlie Savala could be an interesting left field candidate - 24 years old with ~40 or so pro games under his belt in the UK and a bit of a bigger body, but I think he probably has years to run on his contract and is both England and Scotland qualified so may not be keen to return.

Pasitoa has another year on his Force contract, as does Burey so I doubt they'd be options. Campell Parata might be though, he'd probably be the main competition to Mason Gordon as a younger option.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Damn, sad to see him go but he probably only had the one year left here if he stayed. With Creighton having gone as well this massively increases Mason Gordon's chances of picking up a contract, though I wouldn't mind us picking up another experienced player somewhere in the backline.

Maybe it's time for Isaac Lucas to come back in the fold? (I know it's unlikely but I'd love to see it)
Please don't - my heart can't take it

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
What happened to Pasitoa? Looked to be a somewhat promising prospect but havent seen him in ages.
Perennially injured over west. Same deal with his schoolboy rival Campbell Parata but he's just made a comeback with Tasman

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I think they'll end up signing Mason Gordon and potentially someone like Paddy James who can provide a 4th string meat and potatoes pass and kick option if everyone went down injured.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wouldn't Lucas be to expensive, basically?
Yeah - he's currently listed as a category B player, so the team have some restrictions on playing him, or others, but he's about to become Japan qualified, so his value over there is going to increase if anything

• Category A: Players who are either Japanese in origin, have met World Rugby residency requirements, or hold a Japanese passport. Each team must have 40 of these players or they should make up 80% of the playing roster.
  • Category B: Players who are not Japanese and do not hold Japanese passports but are uncapped by their nation of birth. These players will become Category A players once they have lived in Japan long enough to meet World Rugby residency requirements that would make them eligible to represent Japan.
  • Category C: Players capped by foreign nations, and therefore ineligible for Japan. Each team is allowed a maximum of nine Category B and C players, but their combined total cannot exceed 20% of the playing roster.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wouldn't Lucas be to expensive, basically?
Yeah, but with O'Connor, Creighton and potentially Petaia, Grealy and Annan all moving on there would be some money to play with. Would probably still take an RA top up to lure him back. As I said it's not likely but I'd like to see it.

You'd be paying him to come back and be the starter with what he'd demand. Personally not a bad thing for Lynagh to continue to sit and develop when opportunity is there.
Paying as a starter yes, but that could just as easily be at 15 as 10.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pushing Jock to the bench isn't ideal though either. Looked to be a key point in the Reds attack was when he pushes into the line and acts as a midfield play maker.

I think they'll run it back with the youth and adding Mason Gordon in. Strong pack in front of them to give them a platform as well as an established 12 if fit so the risk is mitigated to a degree.

I bet they are watching how Carter Gordon tracks with the Titans by mid year next season. Keep some money in the pocket for a potential return... Rabbit hole stuff but the Reds may benefit from NRL movement if Ben Hunt at the Dragons wants back to QLD bad enough. The Titans will want a guy like that which isn't cheap and an established rep half.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Just saw on LinkedIn the Reds have announced that JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will be heading overseas
Huge shame - they need him. Wallabies need him. Need an experienced playmaker to support the developing - now we just have 2 x developing.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Reds seemingly trying to make it clear in the messaging that it was O’Connor who didn’t want to hang around, as opposed to them not offering anything.

Probably the right call from him at this stage of his career, but a shame nonetheless. Despite a few ups and downs of form, I still have him starting 10/12 (when fit…)

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reds seemingly trying to make it clear in the messaging that it was O’Connor who didn’t want to hang around, as opposed to them not offering anything.

Probably the right call from him at this stage of his career, but a shame nonetheless. Despite a few ups and downs of form, I still have him starting 10/12 (when fit…)
Sounds like it was probably feedback from Schmidt that helped JOC (James O'Connor) make a decision, not Kiss

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Also posturing from QRU with Carter Gordon and RA.