• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about HMP?

He seemed pretty good when he got a chance.

I found it odd that he fell out of favour, I always wondered if something off the field happened because his on field performances were quite good, especially given his age and lack of experience at Super Level.
Could be as simple as they actually did like where Creighton was at in the moment and then the u20s happened. They were using both of them as 10/15 cover but I’d be persuadable to having just HMP, Lynagh and JOC (James O'Connor) as 10s. Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) as 12 cover as well.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
The Reds did state that they wanted to keep him, but Creighton felt he'd get more game time elsewhere which is fair enough. It definitely means there is more room for Gordon to come in, but I also don't know that we desperately need more than 3 flyhalves on the books, so it might depend on how cheaply they can get him.
We desperately need a utility back with Creighton gone and JOC (James O'Connor) perhaps on the outer.

Lynagh and HMP are not playing positions other than 10. Mason gives you an option of someone who can play fullback.

Who are our current utility’s?’JOC (James O'Connor) and Jock, louis Werchon, isaac Henry & Petaia is an outside back utility.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Daugunu now he's back and arguable both Tate and Kailani who have slotted in at wing as required
Yeah forgot about those guys.

think it’s important as a back if you want to play next level have a bit of agility with the positions you can play.

reason Creighton has played a ton of rugby is his positional flexibility means he is a strong candidate on any bench splits when it’s 6-2 or 5-3 forward/backs make up

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
We desperately need a utility back with Creighton gone and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) perhaps on the outer.
I think Mason can fill Creightons role pretty well. Mason had a good QPR final but didn't execute some simple things (slotting that conversion and that ordinary cross-field kick to Sunivalu's wing), so he has some development to go.

But in the outisde backs, nothing official has been made about Grealy, so is he still around next season? Otherwise we have Taj who can play across multiple positions (outside of those names who have also been mentioned).

The biggest problem will be, we want afford to lose both JOC (James O'Connor) and Henry for long periods next season. It places tremendous pressure on our centre depth which then causes Flook/Taj/Flipio to be dragged in.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah forgot about those guys.

think it’s important as a back if you want to play next level have a bit of agility with the positions you can play.

reason Creighton has played a ton of rugby is his positional flexibility means he is a strong candidate on any bench splits when it’s 6-2 or 5-3 forward/backs make up
Yeah, as mentioned there's O'Connor, Daugunu is back offering centre/wing cover alongside Flook and Ryan, Taj Annan has experience across the backline, Jock and Kalani have been building out utility and there's a solid chance Cartwright comes in for that too. I have a sneaking suspicion they might try and get McLaughlin-Phillips some time at 15 or wing as well, he did spend some time there in trials a couple of years back. Les Kiss has been pretty open about upskilling guys to slot in anywhere in the backline, which should broadly help our coverage.

Creighton is still a loss, but an understandable one and none of this is to say I'm against Mason coming in, just that I don't think there is a lot to offer him first year. I have very reliably heard that Grealy has signed with the Force from a few places now and if Petaia is gone as it looks then his 15 coverage will probably get him over the line, unless they're really hot on one of the under 19/20s guys coming through. Mason is in the box seat getting the call up for Wales though. I guess there could also be an experienced outsider they're looking at, but it seems unlikely the way reporting has been about money left to offer players.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Yep also forgot about Taj Annan whom actually has some great traits for utility role (young, big and athletic)

I feel like Mason is less of a priority signing but if he wants to be here for reds I would sign him to a deal

Cole

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep also forgot about Taj Annan whom actually has some great traits for utility role (young, big and athletic)

I feel like Mason is less of a priority signing but if he wants to be here for reds I would sign him to a deal
I've heard that its Taj who has signed with the Knights

Cole

Bob McCowan (2)
Not 100% but think he comes from the Newcastle area too. 3rd hand story so who knows but came from fairly reliable person

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Makes a lot more sense than Ryan. Their physical differences and also pecking order.

Always a shame for a kid to leave but better to be a wider squad guy than a starter and franchise character. Inevitable there would be movement at the Reds with the continued signing of players into an already reasonably strong squad.

I see online Petaia training at an EXOS facility. He is with Jock Campbell but they are very much an NFL player conditioning and development powerhouse. Do most Pro sports and players take themselves there for expert coaching but just an interesting thing to see.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I see online Petaia training at an EXOS facility. He is with Jock Campbell but they are very much an NFL player conditioning and development powerhouse. Do most Pro sports and players take themselves there for expert coaching but just an interesting thing to see.
There's a decent group of Reds players over there enjoying a bit of time away, I know guys like Campbell are big into recovery and training processes so it's not too surprising they'd look into something like that.

That said, I have also heard that Petaia has received interest from that international pathways program, though I don't think it's the official invitation he needs yet.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
If he then pops up at IMG Academy you know its a done deal. They all seem to set themselves up there for the build up. As much as I don't want him to go if he did it now he's giving himself the best shot. A full season to train is better than the LRZ couple of months.

Reds Rick

Allen Oxlade (6)
So talking purely about the backline and assuming the rumours and hearsay are all correct plus the confirmed departures:

Out
Petaia
Grealy
Creighton
Annan
Any I have missed?

In
Daugunu
Anderson
Pakeho

Do you guys think we have much capacity/cap space for any more back line signings? Would love them to pick up mason gordon and lebron (from wests) if they could.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
So talking purely about the backline and assuming the rumours and hearsay are all correct plus the confirmed departures:

Out
Petaia
Grealy
Creighton
Annan
Any I have missed?

In
Daugunu
Anderson
Pakeho

Do you guys think we have much capacity/cap space for any more back line signings? Would love them to pick up mason gordon and lebron (from wests) if they could.
what about the ex Highlanders OB running around for Wests?

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Out
Petaia
Grealy
Creighton
Annan
Any I have missed?

In
Daugunu
Anderson
Pakeho

We probably have room for at least one other relatively cheap/young guy, if Annan is going then maybe 2 with a bit more experience. Mason Gordon, Lebron Naea, Mosese Dawai and Lukas Ripley look like the obvious candidates at the moment, maybe Will Cartwright squeezes in there too, but probably only if we're looking to lose/move on one of our halfbacks in the next year or 2.

From those guys it'd almost certainly be Mason and one other, given the positions they cover. Dawai might be less likely, given he won't be wallabies eligible until he's 31. Naea looks the goods as a power centre, but I have always liked Ripley (even if he hasn't had much opportunity recently) and is as close in style to Petaia as we could get. It might come down to how he goes in the NPC. There could be other from further a field (with the same wallabies eligibility caveat as Dawai), particularly if we have more money to play with, but I don't really know who.

The other factor will be any other forwards we want to bring in and how we spend money there, though I'm not sure if there's too much room left for that. Feleti Kaitu'u, Michael Wood and Kohan Herbert are the guys that I'd be looking at, though a back row player might only happen if we lose Wright, and we're not desperately in need of hookers (unless Asiata hasn't been re-signed?). Maybe a prop or two, but that's more likely just to be club goes touring Japan with the squad so they're somewhat ready for a call up, Hodgman/Gibbon/Blake, Toomaga-Allen/Nonggorr/De Lutiis with Fa'agase covering both sides is a full set.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Damn, sad to see him go but he probably only had the one year left here if he stayed. With Creighton having gone as well this massively increases Mason Gordon's chances of picking up a contract, though I wouldn't mind us picking up another experienced player somewhere in the backline.

Maybe it's time for Isaac Lucas to come back in the fold? (I know it's unlikely but I'd love to see it)