• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Surely a nice contract bump for the kid could be in line and enough to show your valued. Over the next couple years guys like Campbell, vunivalu will move on naturally and give you even more opportunity to have a spot locked down and value go up again.

Hope it's a bit of negotiating fun but I'm sure the Knights are happy to throw a below average salary contract at a kid for 200-250k/yr and see what happens. Those sides from 6-12 on the NRL table are going to experiment more to find value. Same with CG and the Titans.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
$11.4m for 30 players (average $375k) v a $5.5m for 35 players (average $155k) is where it gets tricky for rugby negotiators when you are a non-international player (yet?) up against the NRL

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Geez we should be throwing the kitchen sink at keeping Ryan. He seems the best outside back prospect we have at the moment?

no we shouldn’t.

and I say that with all due respect to Tim Ryan’s talent… but outside backs is a position where if someone leaves the next man up is of comparable talent.

IMO the positions we should throw the kitchen sink at is - front rowers and locks. Set piece is super important at test rugby.

just my 2 cents

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think this is wrong and you can see it being played out at Wallaby level right now. We have a serviceable if not spectacular tight five but absolutely no talent in the backline and its quite clearly holding us back.

I get that its a popular truism of rugby that 'forwards win you games' but you really need high quality players in every position. Not much good holding your own at scrum when your outside backs are losing every contest against their opposites (see Arendse and Kolbe absolutely shredding us to pieces, everytime).

We also do not have the depth to just replace a talent like Ryan.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
There is a point with the Reds squad though that without some players leaving very soon there will be players forced to look for other opportunities.

Reading something like this should get people over at the Force and Brumbies making calls.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
One of the issues Derpus I have with our outside backs is they are all built in the same mould. They are small and live wire talents that play above their weight.

the boks and pumas don’t have a backline of featherweight prize fighters - there’s some actual size and physicality in their Matchday 23.

it’s up to Joe Schmidt seeing this issue and making sure there’s a bit of ying to yang in these squads

if Petaia is not on the plane for the spring tour than dare I say this “Suli Vunivalu” should tag along (I know there’s better performing super rugby players) but it’s test rugby and we need make sure we match our opponents with the best possible matchup option.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Think Schmidt places a bit more focus on footballers over athletes which is something we haven't in recent times. Build off strong Centres which is a flaw at the moment but then have skills outside them.

If he could stay fit I really think a guy like Isaac Henry would be someone he'd love to stick in the midfield.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of the issues Derpus I have with our outside backs is they are all built in the same mould. They are small and live wire talents that play above their weight.

the boks and pumas don’t have a backline of featherweight prize fighters - there’s some actual size and physicality in their Matchday 23.

it’s up to Joe Schmidt seeing this issue and making sure there’s a bit of ying to yang in these squads

if Petaia is not on the plane for the spring tour than dare I say this “Suli Vunivalu” should tag along (I know there’s better performing super rugby players) but it’s test rugby and we need make sure we match our opponents with the best possible matchup option.
I agree we lack size but there is still space for smaller, nimble players as well. I contend that we currently have neither size nor pace and only a little guile (in the mould of Tom Wright).

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
The rumour is that they've made a young Rugby winger an offer (thought to be Ryan by others), not so much that he's accepted it:

19 year old is not quite right for Ryan, but that could just be inaccuracy too.

With Grealy apparently leaving and given what I heard about his contract negotiations (they had more money to offer him, but he wanted more game time then he thought he would get at the reds) I'd expect the Reds to be willing and able to counter any offer the Knights made Ryan. Could be a bit of negotiation in it for an RA component too.
Could also be Darby Lancaster. Also not 19 but off contract at the tahs in 2025. Or anyone from New Zealand?

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
It isn’t hard for people to google the age of players so hopefully it’s a young squaddie that hasn’t had too many resources poured into them just yet.

Ryan would be pretty crushing for a Reds fan; that sort of hype just doesn’t come around that often. Reminds me of Radike and early Tupou - the younguns just love him. Heaps of people wearing shirts with his face on them literally the next home game after his debut.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
It isn’t hard for people to google the age of players so hopefully it’s a young squaddie that hasn’t had too many resources poured into them just yet.

Ryan would be pretty crushing for a Reds fan; that sort of hype just doesn’t come around that often. Reminds me of Radike and early Tupou - the younguns just love him. Heaps of people wearing shirts with his face on them literally the next home game after his debut.
On the contrary, I spent a while trying and couldn't easily find anyone who might fit the bill...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

What other Australian backs have left Mark Taela in their dust, or better still, what other backs in Australia have been able to finish scoring opportunities?

While the Wallabies may not miss a departure of Ryan immediately, we have very little outside backs coming through the ranks. Losing Ryan is another example of "death by 1,000 cuts", it all starts to add up.

I'm surprised the Knights aren't picking the Broncos carcass as supposedly Reece Walsh hasn't signed his contract....

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
What other Australian backs have left Mark Taela in their dust, or better still, what other backs in Australia have been able to finish scoring opportunities?

While the Wallabies may not miss a departure of Ryan immediately, we have very little outside backs coming through the ranks. Losing Ryan is another example of "death by 1,000 cuts", it all starts to add up.

I'm surprised the Knights aren't picking the Broncos carcass as supposedly Reece Walsh hasn't signed his contract....

I agree it’s a shitty landscape seeing league suddenly pinch our young up and comers….

JYD has an awesome rate turning reds caps into tries. I just think it’s a position the NRL would target and the wallabies shouldn’t prioritize (esp all the redundant outside backs at the wallaby top ups floating around at the Tahs as of late, JS, Jorgensen & Kellaway)

I also don’t think it’s a priority position for the reds - we just bought 2 outside backs in from the defunct rebels in lachie Anderson and Filipo dagunu

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hard to see who it could be if the age is right?

Maybe it's one of the U19 players who played in the Super Rugby U19 tournament and the journo doesn't know the difference?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree it’s a shitty landscape seeing league suddenly pinch our young up and comers….

JYD has an awesome rate turning reds caps into tries. I just think it’s a position the NRL would target and the wallabies shouldn’t prioritize (esp all the redundant outside backs at the wallaby top ups floating around at the Tahs as of late, JS, Jorgensen & Kellaway)

I also don’t think it’s a priority position for the reds - we just bought 2 outside backs in from the defunct rebels in lachie Anderson and Filipo dagunu
I think the difference is that he has actually captured some attention in the media. There are far better players going around at the moment but very few, if any, that got the wider media attention/social media attention he did this year. Not even guys like Tupou, McDermott, Filipo, Wright etc. Maybe Corey Toole but even then I don’t think so.

Yes - he needs to continue to improve on the field (his star will fade very quickly if he doesn’t hold his spot in the starting team) but for the time being he is bringing guys through the gates and we should be rewarding him accordingly.

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
The rumour is that they've made a young Rugby winger an offer (thought to be Ryan by others), not so much that he's accepted it:

19 year old is not quite right for Ryan, but that could just be inaccuracy too.

With Grealy apparently leaving and given what I heard about his contract negotiations (they had more money to offer him, but he wanted more game time then he thought he would get at the reds) I'd expect the Reds to be willing and able to counter any offer the Knights made Ryan. Could be a bit of negotiation in it for an RA component too.
Only other player I can think of is Ronan Leahy? Also, Tyrone Thompson never played for the All Blacks, he was a third stringer at the Chiefs. Tim Ryan would be a devastating loss in my opinion.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
no we shouldn’t.

and I say that with all due respect to Tim Ryan’s talent… but outside backs is a position where if someone leaves the next man up is of comparable talent.

IMO the positions we should throw the kitchen sink at is - front rowers and locks. Set piece is super important at test rugby.

just my 2 cents

I agree we shouldn’t overpay anyone but historically the wingers we produce in rugby here actually exactly the best. Ryan seems like he might be a proper gun.

If you look at the best Wallaby wingers over the last 20 years, most of the ones you’d consider world class have actually come from league, not Super Rugby.

Sailor
Tuquiri
Walker
Folau
Koribete