• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
i hope JOC (James O'Connor) lands overseas in the MLR.

I dont know how the money is over there but there’s heaps of token former wallabies plying their twilight years trade.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
i hope JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) lands overseas in the MLR.

I dont know how the money is over there but there’s heaps of token former wallabies plying their twilight years trade.
That feels most likely at this stage, particularly with him over there on holiday right now.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Honestly, makes sense to bow out now for James. Last season was a complete write-off for him, but that game for Wales let him show he was still there. Add in having the winning kick for Brothers in the QPR Final and it's a good time to move on.

Shame he's moving on as we have some bloody green Fly-Halves that need guidance still.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Pushing Jock to the bench isn't ideal though either. Looked to be a key point in the Reds attack was when he pushes into the line and acts as a midfield play maker.

I think they'll run it back with the youth and adding Mason Gordon in. Strong pack in front of them to give them a platform as well as an established 12 if fit so the risk is mitigated to a degree.

I bet they are watching how Carter Gordon tracks with the Titans by mid year next season. Keep some money in the pocket for a potential return... Rabbit hole stuff but the Reds may benefit from NRL movement if Ben Hunt at the Dragons wants back to QLD bad enough. The Titans will want a guy like that which isn't cheap and an established rep half.
Wasn't one of the reasons he went to the NRL, is that QLD weren't interested in him?

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
i hope JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) lands overseas in the MLR.

He'd be a good marquee for one of the Clubs with some cash.

I think it's a pretty flexible cap with what they spend but then can offer you in terms of housing or a couple private sponsors out of season. Gits and Nonu seem to have had a good time there at San Diego and LA before that for Gits.

Wasn't one of the reasons he went to the NRL, is that QLD weren't interested in him?
Maybe QLD werent in a position to offer what the Titans could. Even if hes been given an average salary it could be 300k+ even though that won't buy him much time to show his worth in Q Cup. If the Reds had more time to get it together and know the situation of Petaia and co it would shift.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
and despite our woes at #10, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is not one of those things.
Probably more for the wallabies thread - but we are being bashed off the park right now at test level and while 10 may be an issue for us, we could probably start Jesus Christ as our pivot and still lose.

All the hype of the new SA 10 is probably warranted by I'd hypothesize that if he was playing for the wallabies he'd look as inept as Lolo/Donno do right now

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Losing JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Taj, Grealy and Creighton are some pretty significant losses in the ball playing department, Daugunu is a nice addition but he doesn't cover there ball playing.
Didn't know Grealy and Taj were leaving. Where are they going?

Gak

Frank Row (1)
This fascination with signing Rebels is really stating to impact at the Reds with the best young talent moving by the looks of it? I real shame if Annan and Grealy go as especially Annan has size, strength and ball playing ability that was untapped!
knights have gained a real good one if it is true?

dru

David Wilson (68)
This fascination with signing Rebels is really stating to impact at the Reds with the best young talent moving by the looks of it? I real shame if Annan and Grealy go as especially Annan has size, strength and ball playing ability that was untapped!

Welcome Gak.

Mate I'm not going to be popular here with my thoughts but I think that the Rebels transfer to the Reds has been excessive. We had good talent developing which has been lost. I understand that non Australian internationals were not a priority with the Rebels looking for slots.

We are undoubtably stronger, but wait for how many of the incomers end up with a 12 month life span. And we have the unexpected lack of depth at 10.

Strange times.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think its the best young talent. I think its solid journeymen talent. Apart from JOC (James O'Connor) leaving, which hurts our squad depth and nous, its all been gains for the Reds. (Unless Petaia officially leaves)

Gak

Frank Row (1)
I don't think its the best young talent. I think its solid journeymen talent. Apart from JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) leaving, which hurts our squad depth and nous, its all been gains for the Reds. (Unless Petaia officially leaves)
With injury prone Lynagh and HVP still green it is massively concerning that Lawson and JOC (James O'Connor) are now gone! Annan can play anywhere in that backline with him playing plenty of 10 for prem rugby. 100kg - 6ft 4 young talent doesn’t grow on trees and with Henry a year to year proposition, where is the depth coming from with even Hunter and Fillipo currently injured it is really concerning the Reds didn’t lock him in?
He was gaining some good experience in his first two Super seasons which would of seen the best to come.
I hope the rumours aren’t true for the Reds sake??

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
He'd be a good marquee for one of the Clubs with some cash.

I think it's a pretty flexible cap with what they spend but then can offer you in terms of housing or a couple private sponsors out of season. Gits and Nonu seem to have had a good time there at San Diego and LA before that for Gits.

Maybe QLD werent in a position to offer what the Titans could. Even if hes been given an average salary it could be 300k+ even though that won't buy him much time to show his worth in Q Cup. If the Reds had more time to get it together and know the situation of Petaia and co it would shift.
Nope. The current salary cap is $700k with the max allowed for an individual player being $55k. Though there's a development bonus that allows the clubs to add an additional $250k to that if they meet the criteria which most of not all do.

There are of course things that can be offered external to the cap like housing, travel, car lease etc.

That said he would be a good marquee option for MLR and it would be a good experience for him.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Mate I'm not going to be popular here with my thoughts but I think that the Rebels transfer to the Reds has been excessive. We had good talent developing which has been lost. I understand that non Australian internationals were not a priority with the Rebels looking for slots.
I see your point and it is valid. I didn't think we needed both Canham and Lukhan, but, given Lukhan has a lot of ties in Queensland and now a young family I can understand his desire to come here.

It's an odd feeling as normally we’re on the otherside of it. I still remember the feeling of losing our then captain Nathan Sharpe to the Force along with a bucket load of talent and then the same thing happened with the Rebels starting up.

What the Reds will need to be careful of is, not losing the next generation of players in the positions we have an abundance of as it'll cause a massive vacuum when these players do move on.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Lock Is the most targeted position for poaching raids in this country (elsewhere for matter of fact).

You can never have too many locks IMO

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nope. The current salary cap is $700k with the max allowed for an individual player being $55k. Though there's a development bonus that allows the clubs to add an additional $250k to that if they meet the criteria which most of not all do.

There are of course things that can be offered external to the cap like housing, travel, car lease etc.

That said he would be a good marquee option for MLR and it would be a good experience for him.
That's the one. You want an all expenses paid year long holiday.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
O'Connor has also been exploring coaching a fair bit recently, MLR is exactly the sort of comp where he could sign on somewhere as a player coach and get his first step into pro coaching. Not sure if that sidesteps the salary cap in some way, but it is at least extra opportunity.