• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

disco said:
McMenimen was apparently injured in the trial match against the blues and is in doubt for the opening S14 game against the Bulls.

The report on MMM last week was he was going to be doing some heavy weight sessions to bulk up as he was feeling light & a bit understrength.

Just a freshen up before the season kicks off.

yes i read that report, but then a report on Sunday? i think it was, said he didnt play because he is carrying a injury.

F

formeropenside

McMeniman returning from South Africa on compassionate grounds

McMeniman - forced to cut short tour
Tuesday, 10 February 2009

QR Reds and Wallaby flanker Hugh McMeniman will miss the Reds? opening match of the Investec Super 14 season in South Africa because of an illness in his family.

Head Coach Phil Mooney said the 25-year old learned the news when the Reds landed in South Africa to prepare for this weekend?s game against the Bulls in Pretoria and was given immediate leave to return home on compassionate grounds.

McMeniman?s place in the 26-man tour squad will not be filled straight away, in case he is able to return to South Africa in time for the second round match against the Stormers in Cape Town on February 20.

The Reds? team to play the Bulls will be announced on Wednesday morning.

Curioser and curioser.

So that means...

QR Reds locks to step up in skipper's absence

Humphries adopts senior player role
Tuesday, 10 February 2009

With QR Reds captain and lock James Horwill sidelined for the opening weeks of the Investec Super 14 season, fellow lock Van Humphries has shown the leadership qualities the Reds coaches hoped to see when they signed the 203cm giant last year.

They?re looking to the 33 year old Humphries to draw on all of the experience of his 10 year representative career to show the way for the likes of uncapped locks Rob Simmons and Adam Byrnes.

In this his third stint with the Reds after tours of duty with the Waratahs and in Italy and Japan, Humphries is a member of the six-man leadership group elected by team mates during the Reds? three-day pre-season camp.

?I probably haven?t thought about it (leadership) too much, but I?m definitely looking for a big year this year for myself, so I guess (leadership) goes hand-in-hand,? said Humphries.

?I?ll step into that role a little more this year. Probably more so this year than any other year with the squad being quite young and a lot of the older guys leaving at the end of last year.?

Horwill?s loss will test the depth of locks at the club, but Humphries says the squad can overcome their captain?s absence.

?Simmo?s coming along really well. He?ll just keep getting better and better as he?s still quite young and has got so much improving. The exposure he?ll probably get in the first three or four weeks of this competition is going to really help him along.

?(No 8 and lock) Ezra Taylor is also looking to come in and help out in that area (when he returns from a foot operation).?

Simmons, still only 19, will get an opportunity to win his first cap during 2009 after joining the squad last year, while 27-year old Byrnes is a more experienced campaigner with two seasons for Leinster in Ireland but yet to play Super 14.

Byrnes played in the Magners League and Heineken Cup, as well as the Australian Rugby Championship in 2007 before signing on with the Waratahs Academy in 2008. Last year he decided a move north offered better opportunities to play Super Rugby.

?That?s the reason I came home, to give Super 14 a crack,? Byrnes said.

?Europe was enjoyable but I wanted to play back home in Australia,? Byrnes said.

QR Reds coach Phil Mooney is delighted at the way his stable of locks has prepared for this season and is looking forward to watching them compete for a spot.

?Robert (Simmons) has now been around the squad for a couple of years and his strength has improved really pleasingly and he is an exciting young prospect,? Mooney said.

?Adam Byrnes is a guy who has been on the periphery of the Waratahs so he has come up here for an opportunity and has been going well.

?There is some real competition there,? Mooney said.

The Reds are now in South Africa with Mooney due to name his team for Saturday?s opening match of the 2009 Investec Super 14 against the Bulls in Pretoria on Wednesday.

I guess both Simmons and Byrnes are likely to make their S14 debuts, one starting and the other off the bench. I cant see Higginbotham being used at 5 and Luafutu at 6, and thats about the only other option. Against Matfield that lineout would run into trouble - and even with Simmons or Byrnes it still might.

T

TOCC

I imagine they will probably go to Byrnes due to his experience, but later in the season i expect Simmons will be used more

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Simmons.

1) more exuberance of youth and this has more often then not paid off for Mooney.
2) Less illdisciplined than Byrnes, which will be key v the Bulls.
3) Not a bad time to make your debut. When you're kind of thrown into it and away from the local media. Just an unknown over there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TOCC, looks like you're right. And Lucas will get the spot ahead of Genia it seems. Va'aulu apparently on the wing too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Simmons.

1) more exuberance of youth and this has more often then not paid off for Mooney.
2) Less illdisciplined than Byrnes, which will be key v the Bulls.
3) Not a bad time to make your debut. When you're kind of thrown into it and away from the local media. Just an unknown over there.

Botha should have Byrnes chasing his own tail

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So no Turinui. My by Connor not there, with McLinden on the bench.

I am not overly hopeful for this game unfortunately.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
FYI:

1 Greg Holmes (Sunnybank)
2 Sean Hardman (Brothers)
3 Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank)
4 Van Humphries (Souths)
5 Adam Byrnes (University)
6 Scott Higginbotham (Wests)
7 Daniel Braid (Sunshine Coast Stingrays)
8 Leroy Houston (Norths)
9 Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
10 Quade Cooper (Souths)
11 Brando Va'aulu (Sunnybank)
12 Berrick Barnes (c) (Wests)
13 Charlie Fetoai (Sunnybank)
14 Digby Ioane (Sunnybank)
15 Peter Hynes (GPS)

Reserves:
16 Saia Fainga'a (Souths)
17 Laurie Weeks (University)
18 Robert Simmons (Sunybank)
19 Poutasi Luafutu (Wests)
20 Will Genia (Norths)
21 Anthony Fainga'a (Souths)
22 Mark McLinden (Sunnybank)

Well...Reds to lose, I think. Does not look a particularly strong team on paper.

I still don't think Fetoai is up to S14 level. Connor desperately unlucky to miss out. Bit surprised Fainga'a didn't get a shot at 13 too.

Byrnes over Simmons interesting call too. Wonder if we'll see much of Luafutu off the bench. I was interested in seeing Taylor get a run sometime too. Anyone know when he is back from injury?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes doesn't look good for the Reds hopefully the Bulls have one of their tradtional slow starts to the season.

To be honest I was only hoping for one win on this tour so if we snag either the Bulls or Sharks I would be very happy.

Hopefully MMM is back next week.

F

formeropenside

Ash, oh ye of little faith:

Holmes and Hardman are Wallabies, and Edwards was arguably the best scrummaging THP in Oz last season.

Van and Byrnes are the tallest second row in Aust (combined 4.04m).

The backrow has a Wallaby, an All Black and a keen youngster.

The inside half axis of 9, 10 and 12 is superb. Perfectly balanced.

Fetoia is a hard hitter and hard runner: thats generally all you need against SA sides. He stiffens the backline defensively too.

Then you have a fast back three. Kicking could be an issue, but I suspect we may see Cooper or Barnes at fullback on occasion.

I will admit the bench is not as strong as the Brumbies bench however.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
disco said:

Can't see it happening. I'm sure it will be in the press soon enough, so please excuse me for not saying anything here. But I doubt he will be flying back to SAF next week.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
disco said:

Can't see it happening. I'm sure it will be in the press soon enough, so please excuse me for not saying anything here. But I doubt he will be flying back to SAF next week.

Yeah. Unlike Noddy, I don't know any details - but stuff like that sounds serious, like parent or very close family near death or very, very sick. It's not something that would be solved within 1 week and so that he could return mid-tour. Hopefully though he might be able to play week 3.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Storm centre to head north
Monday, 16 February 2009

Queensland Rugby has agreed to terms with Melbourne Storm centre Will Chambers to play with the QR Reds in 2010-11.

Performance Rugby Manager Ben Whitaker said the 20 year old 100kg former Queensland Schoolboy will join the Reds when he completes his contract with the rugby league club later this year.

?Will spoke to us some time ago about playing rugby again and in subsequent discussions convinced us that he had a genuine desire to play for the Reds after enjoying the game as a representative schoolboy at Nudgee College in Brisbane,? Whitaker said.

?Will is a young man with the talent, skills, physique and character to be a success as an outside back at the QR Reds and we look forward to welcoming him into our squad at the end of this year.?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Sounds like a decent poach. We're rich at 13 aren't we ? Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins, Cross, Horne, Tahu, & whatever schoolboy Lee has tipped for big things. Not bad.

If Johan Ackermann was playing for the Springboks at age 37, I don't see why Van should be ruled out due to age.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's good to get some of the kids that played 50/50 rugby and league back from the dark side.

I remember him pretty well for the Storm last year but then he dropped out of sight; so he must have got crocked.

He's a big unit and hard to stop, so I'll watch him for the Storm this year with a great deal of interest.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Excellent. 2010 signings already. Let me assure you though we have by no means given up on season 2009.

Give us a week though.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Noddy said:
Let me assure you though we have by no means given up on season 2009.

Give us a week though.

Haha c'mon Noddy, as those forgetten friends at TSF often sprout - "Keep the faith"

While I didn't stay up to watch it live at Loftus (learnt my lesson in 2007) I did watch the replay and was impressed with Houston's fitness on the veldt and I think with MMM and Horwill back the Reds may win those games this year that they should have last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.