• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Apparently Morgs will not return this week against the Stormers. It appears the likely changes are Genia for Lucas and McLinden for Va'aulu. And it would be nice if Cooper shows up to play this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Morgs's injury worries me. He did it on the UK/Euro tour last year and he's missing games now? And we've signed him for two years?

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Morgs's injury worries me. He did it on the UK/Euro tour last year and he's missing games now? And we've signed him for two years?

I thought he aggravated it against the Blues in the trial.

McLinden to 13 perhaps? Depends on his defence. Blair Connor? We have all these speedy backs, lets use the buggers.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
naza said:
Sounds like a decent poach. We're rich at 13 aren't we ? Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins, Cross, Horne, Tahu, & whatever schoolboy Lee has tipped for big things. Not bad.

Yeah, it does. Positive that the Reds are signing people - over the last few years their recruitment has struggled.

Your list is good - but Mortlock will be gone in 1 - 2 years, Cross is 29 now I think and not far from gone too, Cummins is unproven and mainly playing on the wing, and Tahu will be occupying 12 I think.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne though might be battling it out for years to come at 13 - and hopefully this kid Chambers will be added to the mix once Turinuri no doubt moves on from the Reds after next season or so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I expect to see more good rugby kids getting contracts with NRL U20s sides and then some coming back to rugby afterwards.

We only have so many academy places and few of them pay a living wage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Interesting that he isn't getting an ARU top up, its all Reds money

Fringe NRL players don't get paid much now, the Manly/test winger "Williams" (?) looked for a pay rise as he was only on $50,000 last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah and the Storm are in salary cap strife.

Couple of interesting snippets in the local paper today.

1) Morgan T might have to have surgery which would end his season.

2) Matfield presented Hardman a plaque after the game recognising his 100th Super game. How good is that? Well done Bulls.

T

TOCC

really? Turinui out injured for the season! thats disspointing, Fetoia and Vaalu really need to step up, if not just bring Blair Connor into the side, Horne is a similar age and going fantastic in NSW, no reason Blair couldnt do something similar.

That is great to see that Matfield presented Hardman with a plate, i used to love hating the Bulls, but then they do something like this

R

rugbywhisperer

TOCC said:
That is great to see that Matfield presented Hardman with a plate, i used to love hating the Bulls, but then they do something like this

Just when you have someone sussed they go and do something like that. Where will the world end?

F

formeropenside

rugbywhisperer said:
TOCC said:

Just when you have someone sussed they go and do something like that. Where will the world end?

That's after Hardman smashed Matfield and put him out for 3 weeks, too. Although that's probably when the Saffa decided to do up the plaque.

T

TOCC

well Mooney has a full touring squad to pick from for the next game, apart from those previously mentioned like Turinui and MMM.

But the rest of the players pulled through fine apparently

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Argh. Please no, the Reds need a certain type of player to balance to small ball players at 10 and 12, and Morgan T fitted that bill. As much as I'd like to see the small but pacey Connor get a run, I don't think he suits the backline at 13. Fetoai will probably get plenty more chances if Morgan T is out for the season, and I hope he proves me wrong about him not being good enough. But I suspect he won't.

What options do the Reds have at 13 if they lose Turinuri? Fetoai? Connor? A. Fainga'a? Hynes? Va'aulu? Ioane?

It's all rather worrying. Can we borrow Horne or Tahu? How about Mortlock or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Cross? Pretty please?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed, I think Morgan suits the backline better than anyone. Massive Connor fan, but think he needs to start on the wing.

Va'aulu and Fetoai I guess are the leading candidates. Then again, we still only have 32 contracted? Perhaps we can sneak in someone playing in Japan? Andrew Brown per chance?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
rugbywhisperer said:
TOCC said:

The stadium was also dead quiet for the moment of silence for the Vic bushfire victims, very impressed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmmm

TOM COURT'S debut in the Stadio Flaminio meant the Ulster prop becomes the latest in a long line of players raised in the southern hemisphere to help the Irish cause.

Not all earned full caps. Kiwi prop Gavin Walsh only progressed as far as Ireland's nightmare development tour to New Zealand in 1997 while Aussie second-rows Andrew Farley and Ed O'Donoghue have turned out for the Ireland 'A' side (O'Donoghue made his first appearance last Friday).

Pat Duignan, a star of Connacht's against-all-odds side of the late 1990s under Warren Gatland, was born in Canada but grew up in Australia and won two caps for Ireland against Georgia and Romania under Gatland in 1998. Keith Gleeson was born in Ireland, raised in Australia and returned to his country of birth to earn 27 caps, incorporating his time as first-choice openside flanker at the 2003 World Cup.

Kiwi Isaac Boss is Court's team-mate at Ulster and has enjoyed an upsurge in form this season after a difficult period post-World Cup while, on Saturday week, Ireland's backs will face a unit coached by former Ireland out-half Brian Smith, the man who played against Ireland for Australia in the 1987 World Cup before swapping allegiances.

IRELAND SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE XV -- S McCahill; M Mostyn, P Duignan, K McQuilkin, M Mullins; B Smith, I Boss; T Court, R Nesdale, G Walsh (Ireland Development Tour); A Farley (Ireland A), E O'Donoghue (Ireland A); A Ward, K Gleeson, D O'Cuinneagain.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Ash said:
Argh. Please no, the Reds need a certain type of player to balance to small ball players at 10 and 12, and Morgan T fitted that bill. As much as I'd like to see the small but pacey Connor get a run, I don't think he suits the backline at 13. Fetoai will probably get plenty more chances if Morgan T is out for the season, and I hope he proves me wrong about him not being good enough. But I suspect he won't.

What options do the Reds have at 13 if they lose Turinuri? Fetoai? Connor? A. Fainga'a? Hynes? Va'aulu? Ioane?

It's all rather worrying. Can we borrow Horne or Tahu? How about Mortlock or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Cross? Pretty please?

Ben Tapuai would have to be consideration I guess and James Harvey from Brothers is the type of 13 but whether he is up to the class...?

T

TOCC

i would be concerned if i was Irish, i mean neither Tom Court or Ed O'Donaghue set the world on fire, lets be honest they were average performers in one of the worst S14 teams. Possibly they had potential we didnt witness down here?

Anyway James O'Connor did a live blog Q&A on thewest website this afternoon, i had to ask the question of where he will be next year :)

Jimmy Recard Says:

February 18th, 2009 at 3:25 pm
G?day Jame,

So your contract is up for negotiation soon, have any thought on where you want to play next year? QLD perhaps? I think it would be great if you returned home to QLD and for the Reds. It must be hard been so far away from your family and friends all the time.

James: Hey mate, to be honest it?s the last thing on my mind at the moment. I?m focusing on playing good rugby for the Force and I?ll address my future at some stage. For the time being I?m happy being where I am, and I?ll leave that with my manager and Dad. Of course I miss being with family and friends, but I?m enjoying Perth and we have a good group of guys and set-up over here. I?m enjoying the odd Sunday session at the Cott too!
http://blogs.thewest.com.au/general/sport-blog-live-blog-with-western-forces-james-oconnor/

Status
Not open for further replies.