• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might chuck this on the schoolboy page as well, but this is cool:

QR Reds Curtain Raisers at Suncorp Stadium for 2009:

Sunday 1 March v Cheetahs ? Reds 2nd XV v Junior Waratahs

Saturday 14 March v Sharks ? Iona 1st VX v Padua 1st XV

Saturday 28 March v Chiefs ? Downlands 1st XV v St Laurence 1st XV

Saturday 18 April v Lions ? Churchie 1st XV v Terrace 1st XV

Saturday 2 May v Brumbies ? Marist Ashgrove 1st XV v Terrace 1st XV

Saturday 16 May v Hurricanes ? St Pauls 1st XV v Ormiston College 1st XV

Back

F

formeropenside

Ripped from the dodgy online-only Brisbane Times:

No more Byrnes victims: Horwill

Chris Barrett and Phil Lutton | February 20, 2009 - 12:56PM

Sidelined Queensland Reds captain James Horwill has implored rookie lock Adam Byrnes to walk the fine line between aggression and anger more carefully against the Stormers in Cape Town.

The sin-binning of debutant Byrnes for recklessly charging into a ruck cost the Reds crucial momentum in last weekend's opening Super 14 contest against the Bulls and Horwill says they cannot afford to be reduced to 14 men again in the second leg of their South African mission, played at 3.10am tomorrow Queensland time.

"The big thing is we can't have guys off the field for an extended period of time," said the captain, who is continuing his rehabilitation from a foot injury in Brisbane.

"It hurts the team. We're happy for people to be very aggressive but we just need all 15 on the field for 80 minutes."

The Wallaby lock said he would monitor the performance of Byrnes - a 2.01m, 116kg mobile monster who previously played in Ireland with Leinster - against the Stormers, with the 27-year-old to again start in the second row alongside veteran Van Humphries at Newlands.

"I'll watch him pretty closely this weekend and if something happens again I'll have a chat to him when he gets back," said Horwill.

"There is being angry and there is being aggressive. That is a fine line and hopefully he can manage it this weekend and we can have him on the park for 80 minutes."

If anyone's in the position to offer some wise counsel, it's Horwill.

When he burst onto the Super 14 scene in 2006, Horwill impressed everyone with his talent and raw power but a lack of discipline and fiery temper often proved costly for his side.

He saw the light in 2008 when Queensland coach Phil Mooney bravely thrust him into the role of skipper - a position where any unwanted infraction would be looked on in an even harsher light.

The move worked, with Horwill blossoming and becoming a regular fixture in Robbie Deans' Wallaby tight five.

The Reds missed their skipper last week. Queensland sustained an early barrage of possession from the Bulls to lead 6-3 until just before half-time when a pass from scrum-half Ben Lucas that would have been out of place in Sunnybank fifths gifted the Africans a try.

The Bulls entered the break with a spring in their step and went on to win 33-20.

"I don't think we were far away at all," said Horwill, who will again plant himself on the couch, bleary-eyed, in the early hours of tomorrow morning to watch the Reds play the Stormers.

"I think the pleasing thing was any sort of problems we had were our mistakes. We weren't shown up by a better team.

"If we can fix them up and fix a couple of things up around the breakdown we can go a long way towards putting in a good performance."

The Stormers blew a 10-0 lead to lose 20-15 to the Sharks in their season opener in Durban, falling in a heap after their captain Jean de Villiers was stretchered off with a neck injury.

But the influential inside-centre is expected to play against the Reds, ensuring a fearsome task ahead for Mooney's team.

"The Stormers have probably got a bit more of an expansive game than the Bulls," said Horwill.

"They've got a big but yet mobile bunch of forwards, guys like Schalk Burger and Schalk Brits, they like to run it wide a bit."

Mooney himself is making little of the Stormers' collapse last weekend.

The Reds coach said taking De Villiers - the 2008 Springboks player of the year - out of a provincial side was like the Brumbies losing Stirling Mortlock or the Waratahs being denied the services of Phil Waugh.

"He's a world-class player. Anyone that plays Super 14 is obviously a good player, that goes without saying," said Mooney.

"But guys like Jean de Villiers are the elite. He not only adds to their playing performance but their overall dynamics because he's such a strong leader."

Mooney has hand-picked his starting XV to cope with what he expects will be a very different challenge to the one faced against the Bulls.

After dynamic displays as replacements last week, Will Genia (scrum-half) and Mark McLinden (fullback) have earned starting positions, with Lucas dropping back to the bench and Peter Hynes reverting to his previous existence as winger.

"The Stormers pose a far different threat to what the Bulls do," said Mooney.

"Hence that's why we picked Peter at fullback last week and why we picked Mark McLinden this week.

"Benny will certainly still play a part in the game but Will has basically been rewarded for his effort on the training park and on the playing park."

Its funny, on the original page there is a caption "James Horwill on the charge in 2008" or some such, and in the picture its pretty clearly Van the Man.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QR Reds players Berrick Barnes, Peter Hynes and Sean Hardman face intensive treatment on injuries sustained in the overnight Investec Super 14 match against the Stormers in Cape Town, if they're to be fit for Sunday week's home game against the Cheetahs.

Head Coach Phil Mooney said the medical advice was that the injuries to centre and captain Barnes (corked thigh), wing Hynes (knee) and hooker Hardman (Achilles tendon) were ?not irredeemable", but much would depend on how they pulled up after the long flight home.

"There's a lot of rehab work in front of them but they're not out of the picture completely," Mooney said.

"We'll know more next week after we've seen how they handle the travel and how their injuries respond to treatment."

The Reds scored four tries to three against the Stormers but fell short in their goal-kicking, losing the game 27-24.

The result earned them two bonus points, but need the full five points against the Cheetahs to put their 2009 campaign back on course.

Mooney will be keen to check on the readiness of two of his more abrasive forwards, new signing Ezra Taylor (foot) and Wallaby Hugh McMeniman (compassionate leave) when the team returns on Sunday afternoon to prepare for the March 1 match against the Cheetahs.

"The Cheetahs are a very physical side. We'll need to be strong in the forwards to meet that challenge," Mooney said.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
3M has apparently made himself available for the game this weekend. Guessing he will slot in at lock, shunting Byrnes to the bench and Simmons to the warm up.

A previous article implied that he was doubtful to return yet due to the family illness, and implied it was rather severe. I'm guessing it was, Noddy?

Ezra Taylor is also back and 3M implied in his interview that they view him as another lock option too. He will play the warm up game for the Reds A.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, it doesn't surprise me that MMM is back. Situation is still critical, but at least he's home I guess.

Fantastic for the Reds, assuming he can focus on the job at hand. We still need the grunt work done. Scotty H, MMM and Houston on the park at the same time can lead to a fair few runners. In saying that, MMMs work at clearing out will be crucial.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well I hadn't watched my recording of the Stormers game yet until today (due to an excessive amount of gardening this weekend to pay for my so called "excessive" amount of time spent on things related to rugby).

Thoroughly impressed by the Reds. Grant it, the Stormers went to sleep for a bit around the 60th minute but past Reds teams would already have given up. The stepped up and took advantage of their opportunities. As playmaker, Cooper is ahead of the pack at the moment. Barnes was generally anonymous, allthough I don't think he would have slipped the tackle which Fainga'a did which lead to the Nacqelavuki (sp) try).

The Reds T5 competed well in the set pieces (against one of the weaker S T5's it has to be said).

Also thought Braid lead from the front in those last 20 mins.

Someone mentioned that hey thought Lucas' service was slow? I thought he read the game well and cleared pretty well too.

I suddenly look forward to the Reds Tahs game at the SFS. It cannot be worse than the same game played two years ago which was a shocker (the highlight was watching Dunning doing his "touch, pause, engage the goal posts" routine before the match).

Anyone traveling to Brisbane thinking they have points in the bank could be in for a surprise.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Blue said:
Thoroughly impressed by the Reds. Grant it, the Stormers went to sleep for a bit around the 60th minute but past Reds teams would already have given up.

Yeah it's very heartening that the players reacted like that. It's infectious; so that as soon as a few players start having a dig in adversity, the rest muck in as well.

Agree on Cooper. He didn't have his greatest game against the Bulls but he showed how he can really play against the Stormers.

The Reds are still a bit soft in the contests IMO, but there are bloody good signs from a team that have lost a lot of players even going back to before the Force nobbled them.

Maybe they can start winning on a regular basis and stop the player drain.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PS - And they will have to improve their set pieces as well.

I think that the resolutions of all these ifs and buts will be manifest against the Cheetahs. The season of the 2009 Reds team will be defined come Sunday.

T

TOCC

agree, whilst they have showed signs, they still have plenty to work on

It should greatly improve for the Reds when McMenimen and Horwill return, our set pieces should be a lot better then.

P

PhucNgo

Blue said:
Well I hadn't watched my recording of the Stormers game yet until today (due to an excessive amount of gardening this weekend to pay for my so called "excessive" amount of time spent on things related to rugby).

Thoroughly impressed by the Reds. Grant it, the Stormers went to sleep for a bit around the 60th minute but past Reds teams would already have given up. The stepped up and took advantage of their opportunities. As playmaker, Cooper is ahead of the pack at the moment. Barnes was generally anonymous, allthough I don't think he would have slipped the tackle which Fainga'a did which lead to the Nacqelavuki (sp) try).

The Reds T5 competed well in the set pieces (against one of the weaker S T5's it has to be said).

Also thought Braid lead from the front in those last 20 mins.

Someone mentioned that hey thought Lucas' service was slow? I thought he read the game well and cleared pretty well too.

I suddenly look forward to the Reds Tahs game at the SFS. It cannot be worse than the same game played two years ago which was a shocker (the highlight was watching Dunning doing his "touch, pause, engage the goal posts" routine before the match).

Anyone traveling to Brisbane thinking they have points in the bank could be in for a surprise.

Quite agree Blue. Like you I didn't watch the Reds/Stormers match until last night. Watched it with the impression that the Stormers ran up a lead and then went to sleep. That's not what I saw tho. The Reds were dominant in the first half and unlucky to conceded some soft tries, due, basically to their lack of attention to defence, which let them down. Once they've got this nailed tho they're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Horwill and MMM coming back into their forwards should provide a good platform going forward. Speaking of which, does Higinbotham play no. 8? If he does, and he should because he looks like the second coming of Mark Loane, a back 5 of Braid, Van, Horwill, MMM and Higinbotham at the back would be HUGE.

Speaking of lookalikes, has anyone notice the uncanny resemblence of Ben Lucas to Andrew Merhtens?

F

formeropenside

Queensland Reds happy to see Daniel Braid try Japan

February 26, 2009 Queensland Reds will do almost anything to keep marquee import Daniel Braid at Ballymore for the 2009 Super 14 - even allowing him to spend his off-season playing in Japan.

While the NRL has gone on a war-footing to prevent league stars heading to Japanese rugby, the Reds are virtually encouraging Braid to play back-to-back competitions.

Queensland officials have raised the "Benji Marshall" suggestion with the former All Blacks flanker as he weighs up whether to take up an option midway through his two-year deal.

Braid, who has fielded interest from big-spending European and Japanese clubs, has to decide by the end of March whether he'll stay with the Reds for a second Super 14 season.

The inspirational 27 year old has quickly become a precious commodity for Queensland, captaining them in the second half of last weekend's stirring fightback in their gallant 27-24 loss to the Stormers and also an off-field general and part-time skills coach.

Coach Phil Mooney admitted the Reds were desperate to keep Braid, who they always knew was keen to see the world with fiancee Astrid when he signed on as Australian rugby's first international import.

"He's made it clear to us that he's loving his time here but also he's pursuing that option," Mooney told AAP.

"We know he's got ambitions to do other things, and if he could do Japan and here next season concurrently that would be great if that fits his plans.

"We'd be prepared to work around him because he's been so good for us."

Unlike the NRL's knockback of off-contract Wests Tigers playmaker Marshall's desire to play a single season in Japan, Mooney had few worries about Braid immediately backing up from the low-intensity competition.

"Worst-case scenario, if he went to Japan and his team made the finals we'd miss him for three games," he said.

"Having Daniel Braid for a second season for 10 games is better than not having him at all."

Braid's looming decision makes the next month of rugby doubly important for the Reds, who are sitting on the bottom of the table after two opening losses in South Africa.

But the five-Test openside flanker indicated the decision would be made as much for lifestyle reasons as rugby.

"I'm having a great time here and I'm enjoying the team, they have a lot of potential," Braid said.

"It's a long-term lifestyle thing about what's best for us and what we want to do but we are enjoying our time in Brisbane.

"We're still totally undecided what I'm doing. My first focus is playing well for the Reds and making sure we start winning some games."

Braid (ankle) is one of four players - with skipper Berrick Barnes (quad), winger Peter Hynes (knee) and hooker Sean Hardman (ankle) - to have shrugged off nagging injuries to be selected for Sunday's home match against the Cheetahs.

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
Any news on Turinuri? Is he out for the season then?

Yes.

Queensland Reds centre Morgan Turinui ruled out for 2009 Super 14

February 27, 2009

Queensland Reds have suffered a major setback with former Wallabies centre Morgan Turinui ruled out for the remainder of the Super 14 season due to a shoulder injury.

Turinui will undergo a shoulder reconstruction in the following days after failing to overcome a lingering problem in his shoulder joint.

The 20-Test centre had scans earlier this week after being unable play either of Reds two Super 14 matches in South Africa.

The loss of Reds most experienced back will increase the importance of Australia winger Digby Ioane?s transition to outside centre.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
still have a spot on the squad list right? Anyone worth going after to cover the spot? Someone who played in Japan or something?

Or just cross out fingers with Digby?

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
still have a spot on the squad list right? Anyone worth going after to cover the spot? Someone who played in Japan or something?

Or just cross out fingers with Digby?

Lloyd Johansson?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well if Disco's happy, I'm happy.

LoJo! :lmao: nice.

One of the Browns? Caleb or Andrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.