• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But reading the reports there are three things of concern:
- they still scored 4 tries against us. Our defence needs to be better than that.
- poor ball handling, although happy to put that down to trial form. Although in an ideal world, that shouldn't matter.
- more illdiscipline. Holmes binned for too many team infringements is not good and one of our big failings in previous years.

We can't expect to finish even mid-table if we can't rectify the above.

F

formeropenside

An article in the Sunday-Mail (I think) seemed to say that Mooney had pretty much settled on a team, save for Higginbotham or MMM at 6 (and I suppose if MMM plays lock, who loses out of Simmons or Byrnes), and Genia or Lucas at 9.

I assume that means:

Holmes, Hardman, Edwards, Van, MMM/Simmons, MMM/Higginbotham, Braid, Houston

Genia/Lucas, Cooper, Hynes, Barnes, Morgs, Digby, McLinden

is the starting XV, subject to the Force trial on Thursday night.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe Morgs might be out injured.

People are raving about Higginbottham's off season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I believe Morgs might be out injured.

People are raving about Higginbottham's off season.

Is it his first pro off season? He has the body shape.

T

TOCC

i read that they believe Mooney is leading towards MMM in at lock, i suppose that would leave room for Higginbotham as blindside.

Higginbotham in the Toowoomba trial played quite well, he seems to have taken his game to another level.

F

formeropenside

Is anyone going out to the Force trial? I have a work function on that night.

If anyone does go, a brief report would be nice, as well as the team list for the Academy sides that play a curtain-raiser.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So apparently Hynes will start at fullback v the Bulls. Maclinden not ready to start and will stay home to get game time (presumeably with QAS/Academy).

I suggested this when Mac was signed. I was concerned he wouldn't be ready for the first game so perhaps he would be used off the bench. But then that wouldn't help is rugby education.

Hopefully he's a quick learner.

Incidentally the indication is that Va'aulu will play wing.

But perhaps Connor is a roughie? I wonder where Davies sits?

F

formeropenside

I wonder how long Morgs will hold the 13 jersey with all the speedy players outside him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I get a feeling Genia may end up starting at 9 early on at least. Just to keep Lucas on his toes and prevent some possible 2nd year syndrome.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
formeropenside said:
Is anyone going out to the Force trial? I have a work function on that night.

If anyone does go, a brief report would be nice, as well as the team list for the Academy sides that play a curtain-raiser.
If I don't have too many beers I'll attempt one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mark McLinden selected for tour of South Africa

February 06, 2009

FORMER Canberra Raiders playmaker Mark McLinden has been included in a 26-man Queensland Reds squad for their Super 14 kick-off in South Africa.
McLinden is one of eight players in the squad yet to represent the Reds in the Super 14 and his selection comes after an up-and-down rugby conversion.

The 29-year-old was dropped from Queensland's top side for the side?s final trial win over the Western Force at Ballymore but impressed playing at fullback in the curtain-raiser for the Reds Academy.

Reds coach Phil Mooney is still expected to retain Wallabies winger Peter Hynes at fullback for the side's opening two matches against the Bulls in Pretoria on February 14 and the Stormers in Cape Town on February 20.

McLinden, who has come to the Reds after a stint with Harlequins in the English Super League, looms as a potential super-sub off the bench.

Queensland squad: Berrick Barnes (c), Blair Connor, Quade Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Charlie Fetoai, Will Genia, Peter Hynes, Digby Ioane, Ben Lucas, Mark McLinden, Morgan Turinui, Brando Va'aulu, Daniel Braid, Adam Byrnes, Ben Daley, Dayna Edwards, Saia Fainga'a, Sean Hardman, Scott Higginbotham, Greg Holmes, Leroy Houston, Van Humphries, Tasi Luafutu, Hugh McMeniman, Robert Simmons, Laurie Weeks.

F

formeropenside

Reds squad to tour SA for Rds 1 & 2:

Queensland squad: Berrick Barnes (c), Blair Connor, Quade Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Charlie Fetoai, Will Genia, Peter Hynes, Digby Ioane, Ben Lucas, Mark McLinden, Morgan Turinui, Brando Va'aulu, Daniel Braid, Adam Byrnes, Ben Daley, Dayna Edwards, Saia Fainga'a, Sean Hardman, Scott Higginbotham, Greg Holmes, Leroy Houston, Van Humphries, Tasi Luafutu, Hugh McMeniman, Robert Simmons, Laurie Weeks.

Story:

FATPROP BEAT ME TO IT.

Of those 26, you would expect Daley, Simmons/Byrnes, Fetoia and probably A. Fainga'a to miss the match day 22.

That leaves the non-touring dirty dirties as Rod Davies, James Hanson, Jack Kennedy, and Aiden Toua, with James Horwill and Ezra Taylor out injured.

Still only adds up to 32 though.

T

TOCC

McMenimen was apparently injured in the trial match against the blues and is in doubt for the opening S14 game against the Bulls.

T

TOCC

apparently!

you know he has just as many Wallaby caps as he does Reds S14 caps!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
consistency and intensity. That's what I am after from the Reds this year. And in fact consistent intensity.

Too often in the past we have started games slowly, played in bursts. Its unacceptable. To be semi-final contenders we need to start the match with intent and then maintain it for the game. A massive challenge for a young team.

What I am concerned about this weekend is that we are coming off a good 'win'. Last year we were never able to back up after a good win/performance. It was like we were reading our own press and started to believe it. I hope to all hell that won't happen this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so how did Brando play on the wing v the Force? Who will be the other wing with Hynes at fullback? I reckon Connor might be a roughie. But only if Morgan T plays. If he doesn't, and Feotia plays 13, then Va'aulu will probably be wing.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
McMenimen was apparently injured in the trial match against the blues and is in doubt for the opening S14 game against the Bulls.

The report on MMM last week was he was going to be doing some heavy weight sessions to bulk up as he was feeling light & a bit understrength.

Just a freshen up before the season kicks off.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
so how did Brando play on the wing v the Force? Who will be the other wing with Hynes at fullback? I reckon Connor might be a roughie. But only if Morgan T plays. If he doesn't, and Feotia plays 13, then Va'aulu will probably be wing.
I think Connor did well to get into the squad given his serious injury last year and the fact that he missed the Reds Euro tour, but reckon he is bench at best. Vaalu, with his prior experience should start at 14 regardless of who is at 13, however if Vaalu is selected at 13, then Connor is a chance to start.

He will get his chances eventually, and when he shines I won't forget where I heard it first... ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.