• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Queensland reds lock Adam Byrne cited to make judiciary appearance

From staff reporters
January 27, 2009

QUEENSLAND second-rower Adam Byrnes has been cited to appear before a SANZAR judicial officer following an incident in a trial match between the Reds and New South Wales Waratahs in Toowoomba on Saturday night.
Byrnes will face a charge of striking an opponent after citing commissioner Scott Nowland viewed video footage of a first-half incident that left NSW lock Chris Thomson concussed.

Judicial officer Paul Tully will conduct the hearing at Queensland Rugby Union offices on Thursday evening.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I read a post on here from one of the Sydney scarfies saying that Byrne was a real hot head.

Didn't take long to prove it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think he whacked his mate from the Juniour Waratahs, Chris Thomson.

Perhaps injured Reds captain, James Horwill, could counsel him on the evils of excess vigor.

You think?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Here's an 'exclusive' interview we got with Mooney today. I lot of it what you would expect (hey, we're amateurs!) but I thought the Deans comment was interesting. Hopefully more to come throughout the year.

[size=10pt]Mooney ups the ante[/size]

By Juan Cote @ www.greenandgoldRugby.com

Reds? coach Phil Mooney gave his clearest indication yet as to how the Reds? will line-up this season by naming a near full strength squad to play Auckland this weekend.

With the exceptions of the injured Berrick Barnes, James Horwill and Ezra Taylor, it looks as close to the real thing as we?ll get. In the absence of both Barnes and Horwill, Greg Holmes will lead the side which is a fine reward for the young prop after a few winters of discontent.

At the naming of new Reds? sponsor Comscentre, Mooney was upbeat about the Reds trial loss to the ?Tahs last week and the prospect of seeing how the extended 24-man squad performed against a Blues outfit that has yet to record a win from its two pre-season outings

Speaking exclusively to Green and Gold Rugby, Mooney said he was happy with how the squad was progressing and that he himself had learnt a few lessons from last year.

?Last year was about setting a platform and changing the way we played, 12 months down the track we can be more specific about the way we play and channel our energy.?

?There were times last year when we played some pretty good rugby and we threatened sides, but we weren?t good enough to finish them off. We needed to be more clinical with our attack, we needed to be fitter and we needed to be better with our defence,? Mooney said.

Hardly a ground breaking statement, as I?m sure all coaches would have written to Santa hoping for improvements in these areas as their Christmas wish.

Mooney backed his statement by adding, ?Six times last year we scored three tries in a game so being able to come away from games with the four try bonus point is something that teams who make the finals do consistently, so that is something we are certainly focused on. The flipside to that is teams were able to score 5 or 6 four try bonus points against us so our defence has to be better?

Mooney who said he believes a points tally in the high-30?s will be needed to make this year?s finals, predicted that the returning Wallabies would add the necessary toughness and experience needed to win the close games and turn wins into bonus point opportunities.

?Robbie Deans has put a lot more polish on these guys, they came back to us more confident and more composed and have had the affect of lifting the standard amongst the other guys, with the additional composure I would expect that games we just lost last year, we should win?

New sponsors, new players, new attitude ? there is something special brewing at Ballymore.

Reds? team to play Auckland Blues at Waitakere Stadium, Auckland 30/01/09

1. Holmes (capt) 9. Genia 17. Weeks
2. S. Fainga'a 10. Cooper 18. Daley
3. Edwards 11. Hynes 19. Higginbotham
4. Simmons 12. A. Fainga'a 20. Luafutu
5. Humphries 13. Turinui 21. Lucas
6. McMeniman 14. Ioane 22. Va?aula
7. Braid 15. McLinden 23. Connor
8. Houston 16. Hardman 24. Davies

T

TOCC

Ok, so his looking a fair bit fitter in 2009
IMG_1371.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah - that's looking better.

Come home son and whatever you do don't let them get you to play the banjo. If they do we'll have lost you forever, I tells ya.

F

formeropenside

Lee Grant said:
Yeah - that's looking better.

Come home son and whatever you do don't let them get you to play the banjo. If they do we'll have lost you forever, I tells ya.

I'd swap him to Mowen back in a heartbeat!

T

TOCC

have you seen Mowen sisters, both beach volleyball players, and wow! great to watch

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The QR Reds have bolstered their front row stocks during the off-season, with interstate recruits Laurie Weeks, Jack Kennedy and Saia Fainga'a, plus QAS Reds Academy graduate James Hanson joining Wallabies Greg Holmes and Sean Hardman, 2008 discovery Dayna Edwards and 2008 Super 14 debut prop Ben Daley in the squad.

Coach Phil Mooney rates Holmes the squad?s number one prop and he will lead the side in tomorrow?s trial match against the Blues in Auckland.

Hooker Hardman comes off the bench in the Blues trial but, as the most capped player in the squad (124 caps), will again be the Reds? ?Mr Reliable? when the big games start.

Sydney recruit Weeks and 12 cap prop Edwards previously played alongside each other during the 2007 Australian Rugby Championships, anchoring a dominant Sydney Fleet scrum.

?I was good mates with him then so it?s good to come up here and play with him,? said Weeks, who will come off the bench against the Blues.

Despite the summer heat and humidity, Weeks, a known scrummager and former member of the Junior Waratahs, is enjoying his time in Queensland.

?It has been awesome. Temperature wise it?s a lot hotter, but I?m loving it up here.

?Training?s been tough, but we?re getting stuck into it and we start playing soon, so that?s a big plus.?

Weeks trialled against the Waratahs in Toowoomba last week but was rested from the Blues trial because of a shoulder knock.

Like Weeks, Kennedy has had to adjust to the weather after spending the previous two years playing for the Canberra Vikings and ACT Brumby Runners in often cold and wet conditions.

?It?s definitely a change from where I used to live, but it has been good. All the boys are good blokes so it makes it easy,? Kennedy said.

?It?s all healthy competition up here as there?s only a few spots up for grabs and I think it makes everyone push that little bit harder to impress.?

Kennedy, a member of the Australian Under 19 and Under 21 squads, possesses a broader skill set than most front rowers, with the 110kg prop known for his ball skills and quick feet.

?It?s probably unheard of for a prop, but I don?t mind chucking the ball around a bit,? he said.

Saia Fainga'a is the most experienced of the front row recruits after joining the Reds from the ACT Brumbies, where he earned 27 caps since his debut in 2006.

Fainga'a and twin brother Anthony opted to move North to reunite with their former Australian Under 19 and current Reds coaches Mooney and Mark Bell.

?We?ve been coached by Phil and Mark (QR Reds Forwards? Coach) before coming into the Reds squad so we knew what we were in for and we knew what kind of coaching methods they would bring in,? Fainga'a said.

?Being a forward I knew what Mark Bell was all about and that was probably one of the main reasons I came up here.?

Hanson joined the senior squad from the QAS Reds Academy after an impressive display during the end of season Development Tour of Ireland and France.

The mobile hooker was also a key member of University?s Premier Grade squad in 2008 after being honoured with the most improved player award at the Melbourne Rebels in the 2007 ARC.

Daley made his Super 14 debut off the bench against the Crusaders last year, and held his own in a tight game. Prior to that he won his first state cap in an end of season tour match against Japan in November, 2006.

Daley has trained hard during the off season and is primed to step up in 2009 as a Super 14 regular.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The rapid rise of Wallabies winger Peter Hynes has boom Reds scrumhalf Ben Lucas daring to dream of international honours as he prepares for his maiden outing in 2009.

Lucas will get his first taste of rugby for the year tomorrow night when he comes off the bench for the Reds in their challlenging trial against the Blues in Auckland.

Will Genia will start the game for Queensland at the base of the scrum but Lucas will be the preferred option in the number nine when the season starts after starring in his 10 Super 14 outings last year.

So far has Lucas come that he is expected to heap the pressure on first-choice Wallaby halfback, Luke Burgess from the Waratahs, when the Super rugby season gets underway next month.

Lucas was already being hailed as an option for the Wallabies at the end of last season, where he rose from relative obscurity to sew up a starting spot for the Reds, overtaking Genia and French-based veteran Sam Cordingley along the way.

Now he is desperate to take the next step and only has to look at Hynes for inspiration. Hynes has gone from being a solid utility back for the Reds to a darling of Robbie Deans, playing every Test for the Kiwi supercoach last year.

"It does give you confidence," Lucas said of the rise of Hynes, as well as teammates Berrick Barnes and James Horwill.

"When those boys come back to training they offer a lot. Everyone here aims to get that next level up. We have to focus on having a good season as a team and everything else will take care of itself."

Burgess was another who came from the clouds last season but his Wallabies spot is far from a done deal, with the 24-year-old admitting he is expecting challengers from all corners this season.

"There's no certainties with the Wallabies spots, so I'll be looking to challenge myself and I'll have to work my best," Burgess said.

"It was really rewarding, but 2008 has got nothing to do with 2009."

Cordingley was a welcome mentor for Lucas last year but with the Reds veteran now playing in Grenoble to see out his career, the Sunnybank star will have to fend for himself.

"I've got a bit of experience under the belt this year. I'll still be nervous but I have a bit of a base at least. I've still got a lot to learn," Lucas said.

"I learned a lot off Sammy last year and he helped me right to the end. I'll be grateful for that forever."

Lucas was a schoolboy champion but really etched his name as a future Super 14 player with a personal haul of 35 points in Sunnybank's 85-19 Premier Rugby grand final win over the Gold Coast in 2007.

Since then he has gone from strength to strength, ending last season's Super 14 as the form halfback of the competition in the eyes of Reds high performance manager Ben Whitaker.

Now he wants to add some more strings to his bow. Already equipped with quick hands at the ruck, Lucas wants to provide an extra attacking option at the breakdown for the new-look Reds.

"I'm looking to have a bit more of a go and have a bit more understanding of what I'm going to do. My main job is to provide that link from the forwards to the backs and make sure that ball is quick so that will be my first priority. But if there is a chance there I'll take it and have a little run," Lucas said.

"I think if we stay confident and trust each other and back each other up, we can have a good season."

The trial match will be played at Auckland's Waitakere Stadium, kicking off at 6pm local time. The Reds' final trial will be against the Western Force at Ballymore on Thursday, February 5. Tickets for that match are available through Ticketmaster.

Queensland Reds Mark McLinden, Digby Ioane, Morgan Turinui, Anthony Fainga'a, Peter Hynes, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Leroy Houston, Daniel Braid, Hugh McMeniman, Van Humphries, Robert Simmons, Dayna Edwards, Saia Fainga'a, Greg Holmes (c). Reserves: Sean Hardman, Laurie Weeks, Ben Daley, Scott Higginbotham, Poutasi Luafutu, Ben Lucas, Brando Va'aulu, Blair Connor, Rod Davies.

F

formeropenside

Blues bounce back to spoil Braid's return

By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - RugbyHeaven | Friday, 30 January 2009

Benson Stanley put in a good performance for the Blues in their preseason win over the Reds.

The Blues ruined their old mate Daniel Braid's return to Auckland with a dogged 26-24 win over the Queensland Reds in their preseason match on Friday night.

After losses to the Chiefs and Hurricanes the Blues got a much-needed victory while Braid's Reds were left contemplating a consecutive loss after being outplayed by the Waratahs last week.

Braid played 59 games for the Blues from 2003 before signing late last year under Australia's new ruling that allows each franchise to include a marquee player from overseas.

He's clearly going to be good value to his new side in the Super 14. But whether the team can match his high standards remains to be seen.

Both sides were guilty of errors in a match that had many ragged moments.

Braid put in a commanding first half effort in the loose that helped the Reds to a 14-7 lead at the break in front of a crowd of about 3500 at the Waitakere Trusts Stadium .

But he was subbed at halftime and the Blues also made some changes at the interval, most notably bringing on Grand Slam All Blacks Isaia Toeava, Jerome Kaino and Tony Woodcock to grab control of the second spell.

And with young first five-eighths Michael Hobbs taking over from the erratic Jimmy Gopperth the Blues played a better percentage game that gave them a massive territorial advantage which they slowly managed to turn into points.

Only some late defensive slip-ups saw their victory under threat.

The Blues looked dangerous when their first attack led to a Paul Williams try.

But they then got sloppy conceding two tries to the visitors - another Kiwi Quade Cooper scored one and had a hand in the other - to trail 7-14 at the break.

With Reds skipper Greg Holmes sin-binned soon after, Jerome Kaino used his power to muscle his way over and Michel Hobbs' conversion evened the ledger.

Left wing Rene Ranger slid over in the corner with 15 minutes left and halfback Taniela Moa crossed from a slick move off a scrum soon after.

Disappointingly the Blues allowed the Reds to hit back through big No 8 Leroy Houston.

And when Hobbs muffed the kickoff it was another reminder to coach Pat Lam that there is still plenty of tidying up to do over the next fortnight.

That became even clearer when they allowed Blair Connor to speed in for a try in the corner on fulltime.

The Blues wrap up their preseason campaign with a match against the Highlanders at Albany on Thursday afternoon. The Reds host the Western Force at Ballymore on Thursday night.

Blues 26: Paul Williams, Jerome Kaino, Rene Rainger, Taniela Moa tries; Jimmy Gopperth con, Michael Hobbs 2 con.

Reds 24: Quade Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Leroy Houston, Blair Connor tries; Cooper 2 con.

HT: 7-14

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
Queensland reds lock Adam Byrne cited to make judiciary appearance

From staff reporters
January 27, 2009

QUEENSLAND second-rower Adam Byrnes has been cited to appear before a SANZAR judicial officer following an incident in a trial match between the Reds and New South Wales Waratahs in Toowoomba on Saturday night.
Byrnes will face a charge of striking an opponent after citing commissioner Scott Nowland viewed video footage of a first-half incident that left NSW lock Chris Thomson concussed.

Judicial officer Paul Tully will conduct the hearing at Queensland Rugby Union offices on Thursday evening.

Cleared with no case to answer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like Blair Connor did some good things. Set up Houston for a try with a jinking run and scored one himself with speed.

T

TOCC

tahs should get fined for making unfounded claims...

what a bunch of pansies....

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm heartened by that result. Means that at least they have the ability to score tries. Looking forward to watching the Reds go around against the Force this coming Thursday.

T

TOCC

yeah its a pretty good result, i mean it was a away match in Auckland against Auckland, who were having there final trial match of the year and were probably close to the end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.