• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland captaincy contender Berrick Barnes has put up his hand for even more Super 14 responsibility by eying the Reds goalkicking job.

Qantas Wallabies centre Barnes, returning from torn knee ligaments, is engaged in a goalkicking shootout with fellow inside backs Ben Lucas and Quade Cooper for the role.

The loss of league convert Clinton Schifcofske to Irish club Ulster has created the intra-squad competition which will ultimately be decided in the Reds trials.

"The old kicking shootout, they're three good goalkickers so trial form will be important there, as well as the amount of work they do between now and then," said coach Phil Mooney.

Of the three, skilful halfback Lucas looms as the slight favourite thanks to his success at Brisbane club level.

Barnes was involved in a similar three-way shootout when he started his rugby career with the Reds in 2006.

Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley took the responsibilities in their final seasons at Ballymore before Schifcofske arrived in 2007.

"I've played second fiddle before (with goalkicking), especially here with Flats and then Hux, and then Clinton the last two years," Barnes said.

"It's something I want to do."

But the 13-Test back admitted his first priority is ensuring he's 100 per cent fit to play Queensland's last pre-season match against the Western Force on February 5.

Barnes was initially desperate to play two trials but is resigned to probably missing the January 30 match against the Blues in Auckland.

"Given my history of coming back too early before with my shoulder it's probably best to have an extra week," he said.

"I've learned now that you take the medicos advice and run with it."

With captain James Horwill (foot) sidelined for at least for the first month of the Super 14, Barnes is favoured to take the caretaker's role ahead of prop Greg Holmes.

Mooney, set to settle upon his stand-in skipper next week, denied he'd be reluctant to bestow Barnes with both the captaincy and goalkicking responsibilities if he was the best man for both.

"At the end of the day he's now an international footballer and he's a lot more mature than he was 12 months ago in a rugby context," he said.

"Guys like Berrick and Matt Giteau thrive on that responsibility."

yeah, I guess so. My immediate concern was that it was too much for him!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just drove past Suncorp Stadium to get to work. As I was driving up Castlemaine Street, I saw some new graphic images they have put on the side of the building. Broncos and State of Origin pictures. "Not again" I said to myself. Its such a rugby league stadium. They have a QLD State of Origin walk of fame, which was out of date about a month after they put it in (tiles in the ground of "every QLD SOO player and the # of games they have played"). Like I said, it's way out of date. Then there's the "Broncos captains" mural of Wally, Geno, Gordie, Alf, Kevvie and Darren. The first version was abysmal. It looked like I did it. Then the govt had to get someone in to fix it because the above 6 were apparently furious. So anyway, the stadium is very league focussed.

But then I drove a little further and there it is, massive images of Tunie and Latho (and some Roar soccer players). Good to see.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The quick and the Red for Queensland captain Berrick Barnes

By Jim Tucker
January 20, 2009

BERRICK Barnes has taken the incredible jump from rugby novice to Queensland captain in just three years for a Reds team that is unrecognisable from the one to which he was recruited.

Only three teammates - Hugh McMeniman, Sean Hardman and Greg Holmes - remain from the starting Super 14 side that the anxious new boy stepped out for in February, 2006.

It highlights both the progress made by the Australia back and the huge job to jell a revamped group - with a bold spirit but with scant history - together because of high player turnover.

"It's a great honour to be named captain. The most important thing is still to be myself and do what I can to get the boys to band together," Barnes said at yesterday's Reds season launch.

"I had a look at a team photo from my first Reds tour to Argentina (late 2005) and only Peter Hynes and I are still around (from 27 players).

"That's an amazing turnover of players and something you don't see at many organisations.

"What we do have in our players this season is one group with no divisions and plenty of ambition."

Barnes, 22, quipped that his last captaincy success was with the Kingaroy Red Ants under-11s when they toppled Cherbourg United in a grand final from his junior rugby league days.

Toppling the Bulls, the 2007 Super 14 champions, at their Pretoria stronghold on February 14 will be just a little more challenging for last year's 12th-placed strugglers.

"We need to really make something of our start next month with two games in South Africa. There's nothing to be afraid of and that's something we've talked about," said inside centre Barnes.

Barnes will be stand-in captain for at least five games with first-choice skipper James Horwill aiming at a possible March 28 return from his foot ligament surgery.

"Like James, Berrick leads by his actions and keeps on going with his energy," Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

"His full 2008 with the Wallabies has given Berrick a far deeper aptitude for rugby. He's confident, composed and will make a very good captain." Best of all, Barnes made a trouble-free return from his knee ligament injury in a full-on attack session at Ballymore on Monday, where he handled constant direction changes.

"It's the first day I've touched the ball since the knee problem 10 weeks ago. I've pulled up fine," Barnes said.

Barnes will make his comeback in the February 5 trial against Western Force at Ballymore, which means a fill-in captain for the interim captain.

Mooney has asked burly No. 8 Leroy Houston to lead the Reds against the NSW Waratahs in Saturday's 7pm trial game at Gold Park, Toowoomba.

Former Canberra Raider Mark McLinden will be given plenty of game time at full-back to help his progress in his new code.

Interesting. I wonder if Holmes will play? I would have thought so. Perhaps he's going to rotate the props a fair bit in the first game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even amid the smoke machines, thudding rock music and optimistic fanfare of the Queensland Reds' season launch, the unmistakable scent of reality was lingering in the air.

Supersized images of brash and buff Reds were being beamed onto the walls, each of them casually tossing a ball around before flicking it onto the next projection.

Relaxed players mingled with corporate types and media underneath their monumental illuminations, basking in the glow of an esprit de corps that suggests something encouraging is afoot at Ballymore.

Spirits are sky-high at this time of year, as is the confidence that an improved season lies ahead. If the Super 14 title could be won on the strength of good vibrations, the Reds would be popping the corks already.

Those who have followed Queensland rugby in recent years have seen - and heard - it all before. And you better believe coach Phil Mooney knows what you're thinking. The frustrations of a patient yet loyal rugby community resonate loudly at Ballymore and Mooney tunes into every whisper.

The second-year coach enjoys the hype but has made it clear that talk is cheap. Steps were taken last season after Eddie Jones left him a house in ruins, even if three wins and a draw didn't do justice to the substantial improvement the franchise made on and off the field.

With total command over his pre-season drills and a playing list constructed to his liking, Mooney says there will be no excuses to offer the public this season.

"We're the first to admit that the Reds have underperformed for too long now," Mooney says. "We're certainly aware of the great support we have. That's always stood out to me since I've been in the job.

"People genuinely want to see the Reds do well. There's a need now for us to do well. We don't have a lot of excuses. We've got the players. We've got the off-field set up right. It's over to us."

And so the million-dollar question remains: is this the year the corner is turned after dismal returns since 2001, the last time a Queensland side contested a Super rugby final?

"It's certainly got to be," says Mooney candidly. "But I'm sure there are 13 other coaches saying how fit they are and how strong they are.

"It's really obvious to me that we're better prepared in our game knowledge, we're better prepared physically, we're a very tight-knit team by virtue of the fact we've got a group of guys that are hungry.

"We've got far more depth. It doesn't guarantee success but it's a good start."

Mooney was unflappable in his first season as a Super 14 coach, making poised and difficult decisions that silenced any doubters he may have had.

He sacked the gracious John Roe from the captaincy, while David Croft was shattered to be demoted to the bench for the first time since securing a starting role in Queensland colours.

Mooney has an air of Queensland calmness but is genuinely excited about what he sees in this year's crop, which is short on experience but stacked with physical ability and added depth.

In Berrick Barnes he has a 22-year-old number 12 that has not only become a key for Queensland but a crucial cornerstone of Robbie Deans' Wallabies. Barnes will captain the side in the absence of James Horwill, the vastly improved Wallaby backrower who will miss a number of early games with a foot injury.

All Blacks flanker and former Auckland Blue Daniel Braid, the team's marquee foreign player under the new ARU rules, has raised the bar to new heights at training and added some vital punch and pace to the Reds at the breakdown.

Scrumhalf Ben Lucas is knocking on the door of the Wallabies. The man hovering on his hip, Quade Cooper, insists his days of being a backline flake are over. The shoes of Wallaby hooker Stephen Moore, now at the Brumbies, have been filled by the highly rated youngster Saia Fainga'a, who has moved from the ACT with his twin, utility back Anthony.

The experienced Mark McLinden, a former NRL star with Canberra, will patrol the rear in lieu of Chris Latham, while Peter Hynes will try and replicate his brilliant form for the Wallabies in the Cardinal Red jumper.

Hugh McMeniman is currently not injured, although Mooney could be forgiven for not letting "Madness" out of his sight between games.

Even with players of the calibre of Sam Cordingley (France), Latham (England), Roe (retired) and Croft (retired) now pages in the yearbook, Mooney believes there is reason to be enthused at what lies ahead.

"Roey and Crofty and Latho and Sam Cordingley, they were wonderful players. But one of the exciting things about this team is all of our leaders are young guys. We can take this team where we want to take it," Mooney says.

"While they are young, they are fairly experienced now. Guys like Berrick have played 40 games, James (Horwill) has played 40 games, Quade (Cooper) has played 25 games. They are young veterans now.

"Leadership isn't about age or the number of caps, it's about the quality they possess. We've replaced a group of highly experienced leaders with young leaders. And that's exciting."

A growing confidence in his own ability, reflected in his appointment as coach of Australia A, has seen Mooney raise expectations of his own. Rookie season done and dusted, he now finds himself setting loftier standards for himself and his playing group.

"My expectations of the team now are certainly higher than they were when I came in 12 months ago. I think I've had a far greater say in the players, I've had a far greater say in our preparation," Mooney says.

"I think the players will benefit from having been under me for 12 months, what my expectations are and how I want them to play the game. There's no doubt for me we will be better prepared now than we were this time last season.

"We're more mobile than we were and we're a lot faster in the backs than we were. They're great characteristics to have in a side but we have to make those elements come to the fore."

The Reds play their first trial game against the Waratahs in Toowoomba on Saturday, before further trials against the Blues in Auckland (January 30) and the Western Force at Ballymore (February 5).

- good to hear that there's no more excuses. No more rebuilding year. Bring it on.

- interesting to see the assumption that Fainga'a will take Moore's spot ahead of Hardman.

F

formeropenside

Yeah not happy about the Fainga'a acquisition myself. I don't rate him. If we have to choose a hooker for his skills around the park over the set piece, give Hanson a run.

Also, the article was a bit fast and loose with the facts: Croft was dropped to the bench for a game or two pretty every season I can recall to give McVerry a run: certainly Eddie Jones did it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Yeah not happy about the Fainga'a acquisition myself. I don't rate him. If we have to choose a hooker for his skills around the park over the set piece, give Hanson a run.

Also, the article was a bit fast and loose with the facts: Croft was dropped to the bench for a game or two pretty every season I can recall to give McVerry a run: certainly Eddie Jones did it.

you must be pretty happy to see him as the face of the Reds on their front page "I am Red" promo! :lmao:

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
formeropenside said:

you must be pretty happy to see him as the face of the Reds on their front page "I am Red" promo! :lmao:

Yeah, weird, plenty of good real Queenslanders in the squad who should have got that job.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
formeropenside said:
Noddy said:

Yeah, weird, plenty of good real Queenslanders in the squad who should have got that job.

Like Latho? If Faingia is a success, it wont take long before you Queensland boys will be calling him one of your own.

T

TOCC

Latho lived in QLD for nearly 10years, im pretty sure you can call him a queenslander after 5years at least

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
An article in the paper this morning suggesting we aren't chasing KHunt anymore but we are after Will Chambers from the Storm.

Haven't heard of him. Anyone got any insight?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QUEENSLAND Reds have slammed the door on off-contract Brisbane Broncos star Karmichael Hunt, instead preparing a big-money pitch to lure Queensland Origin prospect Will Chambers from Melbourne Storm.

Hunt's management have indicated the Maroons custodian is be open to a code switch from rugby league to rugby union, but Reds coach Phil Mooney on Wednesday dismissed any prospect of a poaching raid.

Hunt has held initial contract talks with the Broncos, and the club hopes to have a new deal locked down by the end of March. Mooney also doused any ploy of playing one code off against the other to bump up his price.

"You look at players with a real interest in the game and fit for your team profile, but I'm just not convinced Karmichael Hunt has a genuine interest in rugby," Mooney said.

"There are league people pretty quick to throw up rugby as an option for every player, but, basically, we're not interested.

"We've got (former Canberra Raiders half-back) Mark McLinden playing his first trial for the Reds at full-back on Saturday. He rang us with a genuine desire to play."

Mooney, keen to bolster his outside centre stocks for 2009, meanwhile said that Chambers, 20, was on the radar because of the Melbourne centre's schoolboy rugby experience.

"We keep an interest in guys who have come through the rugby system," Mooney said.

"Will went to Nudgee and played juniors with (Australia international) Quade Cooper," Mooney said.

"He's got a big year ahead for the Storm since they've lost Israel Folau so we'll keep an eye on him for sure."

Chambers, already labelled by Queensland coach Mal Meninga as an Origin prospect, impressed in the first half of last season for the Storm before he underwent a knee reconstruction.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy conceded the club faced a challenge to hold on to Chambers as they were under salary cap pressure after three consecutive NRL grand final appearances.

"I think there has been a fair bit of interest shown there (by the Reds)," Bellamy said. "But he's ours for another year and we'd be pretty keen to keep him.

"He is one of those guys who could play union. He is very competitive, very aggressive and has a lot of talent."

T

TOCC

my memories a bit vague, but wasnt Will Chambers the Melbourne Storm player who signed with the Storm and then realised he had made a mistake and tried to get released from his contract because the Reds had a offer for him, yet the Storm wouldnt let him?

I remember this guy from schoolboys and watching the Storm, he plays a game somewhat halfway between Inglis and Folau. Very talented and i would be happy to sign him.

F

formeropenside

Its looking a bit late in the pre-season now for the Reds 33rd contract slot (assuming that Braid counts as a squad member) to be anyone other than McKibbin, although Slipper is a possibility.

I suppose we could bring SBW back from France if he gets cut, like we did to Andrew Walker when Ryan Nicholas got cold feet in 2007 and decided he'd rather play for Japan.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TOCC said:
my memories a bit vague, but wasnt Will Chambers the Melbourne Storm player who signed with the Storm and then realised he had made a mistake and tried to get released from his contract because the Reds had a offer for him, yet the Storm wouldnt let him?

I remember this guy from schoolboys and watching the Storm, he plays a game somewhat halfway between Inglis and Folau. Very talented and i would be happy to sign him.

that sounds like that Joseph Tomane. He was the one that apparently wanted the Reds to look at his contract, before he went down, to see if he could stay. Apparently.

R

rugbywhisperer

formeropenside said:
Its looking a bit late in the pre-season now for the Reds 33rd contract slot (assuming that Braid counts as a squad member) to be anyone other than McKibbin, although Slipper is a possibility.
It would be a great reward for effort if slips made the squad - he will one day - he has class and dedication written all over him

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
formeropenside said:
It would be a great reward for effort if slips made the squad - he will one day - he has class and dedication written all over him

agree, but we have 5 props don't we? I'd love McKibbon to get it because he did it solely on club footy form. That would be a great example for all other club players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice to see the guy come good, maybe the year of playing park RL and delivering water did him some good.

Leroy Houston will skipper the Reds in their trial against NSW

By Bret Harris
January 23, 2009

CAPTAINCY of Queensland came as a shock to Leroy Houston, but it is a reflection of the one-time problem child's growing maturity as a player.

Houston will not captain the Reds in the Super 14 series. Berrick Barnes will do that job until James Horwill returns from injury in March. The 22-year-old is not even in the Reds' six-man leadership group.

But Houston will lead the Reds against NSW in a trial in Toowoomba - a remarkable achievement for a young player whose career may well have ended before it really got started.

"Big changes, mate. Lifestyle. I've matured heaps. Hopefully, that will take me further," Houston said of his personal transformation.

As a 19-year-old Houston toured Europe with the Wallabies in 2005 before he had even played a Super 14 match.

Houston returned uncapped, but with big expectations as he headed into the 2006 season with the Waratahs. But it proved too much for the New Zealand-born Houston, who quit rugby because of personal reasons.

Houston was playing rugby league with Asquith Magpies in a Sydney suburban competition when former Wallabies and Reds coach Eddie Jones threw him a lifeline in 2007. Arriving in Brisbane in time to play for the Ballymore Tornadoes in the defunct Australian Rugby Championship in late 2007, Houston resurrected his Super rugby career with the Reds last year, playing in all 13 games and earning Australia A selection.

Queensland coach Phil Mooney has shown faith in Houston by giving him captaincy experience in an attempt to broaden leadership skills across the Reds team.

"It was a big shock. I didn't expect to be captain," Houston said.

"I was in two thoughts. Should I have it or not? I'm used to being a player who listens to other players. This was brand new to me.

"I hadn't captained a team since the under-12s or 13s. It's a few years since then.

"They knew I wasn't a big talker. They said you can lead by example and I accepted it."

A talented ball runner, Houston is leaner after shedding four kilograms in the off-season.

"I've got my weight down from 121 to 117 kilos," Houston said. "I'm a bit lighter, mate. We'll see how we go this weekend. See how I get around the field."

Houston has only modest ambitions for the year.

"I just want to play footy," he said. "From a team point of view I hope we can make the top four. It's a gradual thing. Step by step."

Having travelled with the Wallabies once, Houston still would like to wear the gold jersey again.

"I'd love to. Everyone's ambition is to play at the international level," he said. "Hopefully, I'll get a chance one day."

Status
Not open for further replies.