• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I don't think he lacks motivation to keep up whatever training he can do while injured, unlike certain other players seem to.

F

formeropenside

A little note in the C-M today that Brendan McKibbin is back from a short NH stint with Saracens, and has joined the Reds training camp. I'm guessing that he's the unofficial 3rd halfback in the squad. He's a goalkicker too, which might help with game time (although I imagine Lucas, Barnes and Cooper can all kick goals to some degree).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
A little note in the C-M today that Brendan McKibbin is back from a short NH stint with Saracens, and has joined the Reds training camp. I'm guessing that he's the unofficial 3rd halfback in the squad. He's a goalkicker too, which might help with game time (although I imagine Lucas, Barnes and Cooper can all kick goals to some degree).

Interestingly he isn't in the academy, which seems the domain of pure young bloods rather than 2nd stringers. The scrummie in the academy is Mark Swanepoel, but obviously McKibbin will spend some time with the Reds training, but not sure what the hierarchy is.

Another snippet above that one was about some high profile, wealthy, Reds rugby supporters getting together for lunch and the suggestion it may have something to do with Matt Giteau coming off contract. Now that is either one major leap of judgement made by Mark Oberhardt (the journo) or perhaps he is in the know???

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
formeropenside said:

Interestingly he isn't in the academy, which seems the domain of pure young bloods rather than 2nd stringers. The scrummie in the academy is Mark Swanepoel, but obviously McKibbin will spend some time with the Reds training, but not sure what the hierarchy is.

Another snippet above that one was about some high profile, wealthy, Reds rugby supporters getting together for lunch and the suggestion it may have something to do with Matt Giteau coming off contract. Now that is either one major leap of judgement made by Mark Oberhardt (the journo) or perhaps he is in the know???

Could be that 33rd slot in the squad for McKibbin?

I'd rather see Gits go back to the Brumbies and the money be spent on retaining players, but I guess that wont happen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
possibly although I think 3 contracted scrummies in a squad of 33 is a bit of overkill. These guys might just as well have been discussing Karmichael Hunt.

Its interesting though, as far as I can tell none of the teams have their full 33 yet and its literally weeks until the tournament starts.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Some times you have to have 3 scrummies or even hookers in a 33 because one professional player may become available at the wrong time, but may be worth having a long term punt on.

Thus when Valentine was available the Tahs snapped him up. It looked like overkill and ended up being so, but wouldn't have been if one of the other two scrummies were crocked.

Likewise McKenzie grabbed Kepu as soon as he knew that the NZ Super teams were shy of his injury history and overlooked him. But he didn't really need a LHP at the time.

Every team has Academy players and some of them are paid full timers. Most of the 3rd string 2s and 9s in Oz S14 teams come from that Academy professional group.

T

TOCC

i am certain Brendan McKibbin is in the academy, i remember when he signed to go over there it made mention that he was in the academy..

maybe they havent included on the academy website because he has been away

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from the Briso Times:

It could hardly be a more intimidating return to the game Mark McLinden played as a schoolboy.

Firstly, a trip to Pretoria's Loftus Versfeld, the 50,000-plus capacity home of the 2007 Super 14 champions, the Bulls, then six days days later a date with the Stormers at thunderous Newlands in Cape Town.

Bigger and uglier men than McLinden have been left crippled with self-doubt at the mere thought of it.

The former Canberra Raiders jack of all trades, signed by the Queensland Reds in the wake of the departures overseas of Chris Latham and Clinton Schifcofske, admits the team's opening two fixtures of the provincial competition loom as a huge challenge.

"It's a bit daunting but also an exciting opportunity," he said at Ballymore today.

"I'd probably rather the games in South Africa to be a couple of months into the season, but if I get the opportunity I'll be ready."

With Latham now playing at Worcester in England's Guinness Premiership and Irish club Ulster having snapped up the services of McLinden's former Raiders teammate Schifcofske, the Reds' latest rugby league convert is the obvious solution to fill the fullback vacancy.

But while he's been training with the squad at Ballymore since late October, McLinden is yet to play a professional game of rugby and concedes the switch of codes has been no seamless process to date.

"I'm a long way off where I want to be at the moment," the 29-year-old said.

"I'd like to be playing No15 but I have no expectations at all at this stage. All I know is I'm willing to learn the game as well as I can and go from there.

"Things like the breakdown are not the sort of thing you can learn in the pre-season. It's not until you play the game, in the heat of the battle, that you can adjust properly."

Reds head coach Phil Mooney has also run uncapped teenagers Rod Davies, a former Brisbane Broncos lower grader, and Aidan Toua, who came through the ranks at Churchie, at fullback in the pre-season but McLinden's experience ensures he will be given first crack at the No15 shirt.

"He'll certainly start in that position in the trials," Mooney said.

"He's worked extremely hard in the off-season. He's far more comfortable now with rugby than when he first started with us. Now he really just needs to play."

McLinden's return to Australia comes after four years spent at Harlequins, formerly the London Broncos, in the English Super League, an experience he relished as much for the opportunities it presented off the field as on it.

"I enjoyed it - it is the best thing I've ever done," he said.

"My only regret is that I didn't go over there earlier. Growing up in Canberra, and then going straight to the Raiders, it took me a while to realise there was more to the world than living in the one spot.

"If we played on a Friday night a few of us might take off for the weekend to Munich or Dusseldorf or wherever ... but not too often because you've got to remain pretty focused on the footy."

Now he's back in Australia the focus has been on learning the finer points of his new trade.

"Playing fullback in rugby is all about knowing when to kick and when to run every time you touch the ball whereas in league the first four sets are always about running up and taking the tackle," he said.

The game is not entirely new to McLinden - he played rugby throughout school before making the switch in league at 16 - and he said he had always envisioned returning to the code at some stage of his career.

"When I started at the Raiders there were no Brumbies so it was just a natural progression for me to go into league there," he said.

"But at some point I wanted to go back to union."

He said he had also considered a return to the NRL after his time in England and he had been for a time tipped to replace sacked Raiders halfback Todd Carney at his former club.

"Whilst you're over in England you're always watching the NRL - it's the best competition in the world," he said.

"You do get a bit homesick so I did give that a thought. I had spoken to some clubs about coming back. There is a bit of a shortage in halves [in the NRL] right now, so I think there would have been room for someone like me."

McLinden was personally recommended by Schifcofske to Reds staff and the Queensland now hope he can replicate his predecessor's smooth transition from the 13-man game.

"Clinton certainly did adjust fairly seamlessly, there's no doubt about that," Mooney said.

"But Mark brings some great qualities to the team, we're just all excited to see how he'll go.

The Reds play their first trial game against the Waratahs at Toowoomba on January 24. The opening Super 14 fixture of the season against the Bulls is on February 14.

For me the battle of the fullback spot at the Reds, could be one of the most exciting of the season, well at least the pre-season. McLinden v Toua v Davies. All counter attackers (first inclination to run rather kick wouldn't you say?) with a heap of speed.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Noddy said:
For me the battle of the fullback spot at the Reds, could be one of the most exciting of the season, well at least the pre-season. McLinden v Toua v Davies. All counter attackers (first inclination to run rather kick wouldn't you say?) with a heap of speed.

Probably the only exciting thing we will see from the Reds this year! 8) But don't worry I can say the same thing about the Lions, the most exciting factor that happened so far was the signing of Todd Clever, the American captain...... O0

F

formeropenside

gman said:
Noddy said:

Probably the only exciting thing we will see from the Reds this year! 8) But don't worry I can say the same thing about the Lions, the most exciting factor that happened so far was the signing of Todd Clever, the American captain...... O0

I actually am really looking forward to seeing how Clever goes in the S14: I would have poached him to replace Croft as Qld's import, but as it turns out Braid should fill that gap nicely.

T

TOCC

ezra taylor is out injured until rd3, did his ankle prior to christmas and it wont be ready in time for the South African trip

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmmm, we are now relying on MMM to stay injured for about 3-5 weeks. What are our chances?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
hmmm, we are now relying on MMM to stay injured for about 3-5 weeks. What are our chances?

Easy. MMM could stay injured all season without trying. All he's got to do is think about it before he gets out of bed in the morning. Whammo! Injured! 8) 8) 8)

F

formeropenside

We are also relying on Leroy Houston to start the season at somewhere near his listed playing weight.

T

TOCC

I thought Leroy went pretty well in 2008 when you consider that it was his first proper pre-season back playing rugby..

now with a full season behind him and a proper pre-season behind him he should be a lot better then where he was in 2008, likewise with Dayna Edwards.

Im not to concerned about Ezra's injury, i mean backrow is the one spot the Reds have reasonable depth, i rate Luafutu pretty highly and Higginbotham seems to go alright as well. Rob Simmons may be blooded earlier in the lock position then they would like but im sure he is up to it.

T

TOCC

Reds also confirm that Barnes has been appointed Captain in the absense of Horwill

0,,6446498,00.jpg

Berrick Barnes appointed captain of Queensland

BERRICK Barnes has been named Queensland Reds captain on an interim basis while Wallaby team-mate James Horwill is sidelined with injury.

The shrewd call was announced today at the Reds launch for the 2008 Super 14 rugby union season.
It is major recognition of Barnes and his qualities as a leader and example for a young squad because he is still only 22.

Barnes ran at Ballymore training this morning for the first time since a knee ligament injury prematurely ended his tour of Hong Kong and Europe with the Wallabies late last year.

Super 14 drawHe is on target to resume playing in February 5's final pre-season trial against the Western Force at Ballymore.

"Berrick epitomises all that is good about our team. He leads by actions and he keeps going with his energy," Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

"Like James, he leads from the front.

"After 12 strong montths with the Wallabies, his aptitude for rugby is far deeper. He's a confident and composed player who'll make a good captain."

The Reds open their Super 14 season on February 14 against the Bulls in Pretoria.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24931064-10389,00.html

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
excellent. Good appointment.

But I wonder who will be the back up interim skipper when Barnes is injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.