• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Word is that the ground capacity at Toowoomba for the trial is a magnificent 2,500 or thereabouts. Definitely car boot stuff of old.
Don't know why they didn't book the main ground at Toowoomba.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Blues squad for the 2009 Super 14.

Tony Woodcock (North Harbour)
John Afoa (Auckland)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland)*
Tevita Mailau (Auckland)*
Keven Mealamu (Auckland)
Tom McCartney (Auckland)
Ali Williams (Auckland)
Anthony Boric (North Harbour)
Jay Williams (Auckland)*
Kurtis Haiu (Auckland)
Justin Collins (Northland)
Josh Blackie (Auckland)
Onosai Auva?a (Auckland)
Jerome Kaino (Auckland)
Chris Lowery (Auckland)*
Taniela Moa (Auckland)
Chris Smylie (North Harbour)
Tasesa Lavea (Auckland)
Jimmy Gopperth (North Harbour)
Michael Hobbs (Wellington) (D)*
Benson Stanley (Auckland)
Jamie Helleur (Auckland)
Anthony Tuitavake (North Harbour)
Joe Rokocoko (Auckland)
Rudi Wulf (North Harbour)
Rene Ranger (Northland)*
Paul Williams (Auckland)
Isaia Toeava (Auckland)

Not sure if this was reported on here, but Michael Hobbs has headed back home. Played for Melbourne in the ARC and some Jnr Development teams over here, but as the son of Jock Hobbs it was always a matter of time until he returned.

T

TOCC

ive being on holidays for like 4 weeks now so ive being bored..

anyway ive being thinking about the possible Reds lineup and switching it around a but, currently the Reds strenght is there 5/8 position, with 2 players who have represented the wallabies in that position. Then thrown in Ben Lucas, who kept Quade Cooper on the bench in the East Coast ARC side, the fullback position is a glaring weakness with no capable replacement yet to prove himself.

so im thinking a backline like this would be awsome

9. Genia
10. Lucas
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Turinui
14. Hynes
15. Cooper

I rate Genia highly at halfback and it would be a crime to keep either him or lucas on the bench, I think Quade has the attributes to play from fullback with natural skill and a kicking game which has show significant improval.

I suppose the biggest issue is starting a new halves combination after the Lucas-Cooper one was just starting to blossom, but it could be worth the risk.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Interesting idea, but let's see the trials first.

With Cooper at 15 you eliminate one of his strengths: the wide flat pass just behind the tackle line.

Lucas is a fine 10 and should get some game time there during the season even if Cooper and Barnes are healthy. You have to prepare for contingencies.

But I think his long term future at the Reds is as a 9. For the Wallabies his short term future is as a bench player who can cover both halves positions.

Genia? Yep, I rate him too.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Have to agree with Lee on this one. I'd much prefer to see Cooper develop as a 10, both for the Reds and Wallabies sakes.

T

TOCC

Lee Grant said:
Interesting idea, but let's see the trials first.

With Cooper at 15 you eliminate one of his strengths: the wide flat pass just behind the tackle line.

Lucas is a fine 10 and should get some game time there during the season even if Cooper and Barnes are healthy. You have to prepare for contingencies.

But I think his long term future at the Reds is as a 9. For the Wallabies his short term future is as a bench player who can cover both halves positions.

Genia? Yep, I rate him too.

yeah good points, i have always being interested to see what lucas could contribute at 10 thoug

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
Think the idea of Quade at 10 has merit, especially with the ELVs as he could have the potential to be a real spark for the Reds counter attack and can always step into first receiver on the Reds own ball.

T

TOCC

do you mean the idea of Quade at 15?

I suppose potential wise though, he is probably the best player the Reds have, his passes are just so flat and crisp, also from what i witnessed of the limited time he had on the Autumn tour his kicking game has improved dramatically as well, some of the kicks he was doing were pretty dam long and seemingly accurate.

In that sense he is probably better off at 5/8

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
but its a great option to bring Genia off the bench and run with that to mix things up.

But I look forward to Quade's long passes finding Digby coming in off the blind or a flying Toua/Davies/McLindon injecting into the backline.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Injured Wallabies back Berrick Barnes will rush back into action before the Super 14 kick-off, increasing his chances of being appointed Queensland skipper.

In a major boost to the Reds, their backline linchpin is recovering strongly from a serious knee injury sustained in the Wallabies spring tour.

The playmaking Barnes' unlucky tour lasted just two weeks after he tore his posterior cruciate ligament 13 minutes into his 13th Test, the tense 30-20 victory over Italy in Padova.

But fears he'd be sidelined with regular Reds captain James Horwill (foot) for the first month of the Super 14 have disappeared with a speedy recovery.

Barnes is back running and taking a limited involvement in Queensland's three-day pre-season camp at Casuarina Beach on the Tweed Coast, starting Wednesday.

The 22-year-old is even confident of playing at least one of the Reds' two final trials against the Blues in Auckland and the Western Force at Ballymore in early February.

"The second trial is a maybe while the third is virtually certain," Barnes said.

"I wouldn't mind having two (games) just to get into the swing of things."

With Wallabies lock Horwill expected to miss the first half of the tournament, a fit Barnes measures up as the favourite to captain a youthful outfit.

Queensland have lost old heads John Roe (retired), Sam Cordingley (Grenoble), Chris Latham (Worcester) and David Croft (retired), who all captained the side at some point in their long careers, from the outfit that finished 12th in 2008.

Barnes is the only remaining member of the five-man 2008 leadership group and is highly regarded by Mooney, his coaching staff, his teammates and the QRU's front office.

The former Brisbane Bronco was originally overlooked for leadership duties last year as coach Phil Mooney didn't want to over-burden his young decision-maker.

But after a full season in Wallabies colours, impressing in attack as a second ball-player beside Matt Giteau and more particularly in defence, the coach believes Barnes can handle the extra responsibility.

Mooney is set to choose his new leadership group during the Casuarina camp which is likely to include his other captaincy contenders Greg Holmes and Sean Hardman.

As hooker Hardman is not guaranteed a starting spot as the Reds coaches think highly of young Brumbies recruit Saia Fainga'a, it appears a choice between Barnes and prop Holmes.

"It's not an easy job," Barnes told AAP on Wednesday. "You've got a lot of responsibility but whoever gets the nod to captain Queensland it's going to be a great honour.

"So I'd be pretty happy if it came my way."

The Reds' Super 14 season starts with an imposing two-match trip to South Africa to play the 2007 championship-winning Bulls in Pretoria (February 14) and the Stormers in Cape Town (February 20).

Blues recruit Daniel Braid looms as another to join the leadership group in his first season at Ballymore, as is Wallabies forward Hugh McMeniman.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=710262

Posted not so much for the Barnes captaincy angle but more the Hardman/Fainga'a battle. Perhaps Fainga'a has seriously beefed up in the off season?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I don't know that it would be a weight thing for SF to have appeal. He was 103 kgs last year and whilst we like to see our hookers closer to 110kgs, 103kgs is decent enough for the S14.

Some hookers are in the grinding John Smit and Steve Thompson mould and they have to have a bit of beef to do what they do, but others are more like 4th backrowers, like Adam Freier and the great Irishman Steve Wood.

SF is more of the backrow type and is a lot busier around the park than Hardman is and maybe that is what Mooney finds appealing, if indeed he does find him so.

T

TOCC

hardman isnt exactly a big hooker either, only 105kg, i dont think size is going to effect who is picked..

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
TOCC said:
do you mean the idea of Quade at 15?

I suppose potential wise though, he is probably the best player the Reds have, his passes are just so flat and crisp, also from what i witnessed of the limited time he had on the Autumn tour his kicking game has improved dramatically as well, some of the kicks he was doing were pretty dam long and seemingly accurate.

In that sense he is probably better off at 5/8

Sorry, I did mean 15....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what school did Stephen Moore go to? Brisbane Grammar right?

I just read in Inside Rugby that he is a practising Roman Catholic and was an Ambassador for World Youth Day. :nta:

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
what school did Stephen Moore go to? Brisbane Grammar right?

I just read in Inside Rugby that he is a practising Roman Catholic and was an Ambassador for World Youth Day. :nta:

Nodster, there were plenty of Catholics at Grammar when I was there in the 80's. I remember we even got a day off to go see the Pope (the former Polish Prop one) when he came to town.

We were a Christian school - hymms every assemby, with Onward Christian Soldiers being a crowd favourite, together with the tramping in time on old wooden boards of 2400 feet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmm, makes those "Trod a Prod" declarations we (at Terrace) used to make to each other in the lead up to the games a bit of a waste.

T

TOCC

i went to St Laurences and there were plenty of anglicans and atheists there as well

article in the paper today said Daniel Braid is training 100% now after overcoming the ankle injury he arrived with

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
hmm, makes those "Trod a Prod" declarations we (at Terrace) used to make to each other in the lead up to the games a bit of a waste.

well, you had to ruck first to make that worthwhile anyway

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Noddy said:

well, you had to ruck first to make that worthwhile anyway

which would require me actually getting to the ruck in the first place.

Meanwhile...

QR Reds captain James Horwill has passed a vital stage of his recovery from a broken foot with the removal of orthopaedic screws that have helped mend the Lisfranc injury.

However Horwill still faces time on the sidelines to allow the foot to mend sufficiently to support his 117kg frame around the field and jumping in lineouts.

?That (his size) is one of the reasons they left the screws in a bit longer than usual (to help the bones knit),? said the Wallaby lock, who hopes to be back playing by the halfway point of the Investec Super 14 competition, which begins in mid-February.

Horwill has joined the squad at its pre-season camp at Casuarina Beach in northern NSW but is sitting out the on-field activity.

Former Reds scrumhalf Sam Cordingley was sidelined for a full season by a similar injury after a premature attempt at a comeback so Horwill is aware of the need for patience.

"I?m still aiming for (a return to rugby) sometime in March but we definitely want to make sure the foot is right because they (Lisfranc injuries) can take a while to heal properly. It feels really good at the moment but we'll have to wait and see."

With Horwill's recovery on track the Reds are hoping the rugby gods will also continue smiling on inside back Berrick Barnes, who is recovering from a posterior cruciate ligament injury that forced him out of the Wallaby tour of Europe.

Having spent time in a knee brace Barnes is now back running under the supervision of the Reds' athletic performance staff and joined the rest of the squad for a post training swim at Casuarina Beach.

While Barnes looks optimistically at playing against the Blues in a pre-season trial in Auckland on January 30, Head Coach Phil Mooney thinks the February 5 trial against the Western Force at Ballymore is probably more realistic, ahead of the Reds? opening match of the Super 14 against the Bulls in Pretoria on February 14.

?The medical opinion at the moment is that his rehab is on track,? Mooney said.

?He?s run fairly well here (Casuarina Beach) at training, so the indications are that he will probably be right for the last trial (Feb 5).?

Barnes says some of the new faces in the 2009 Reds' squad have brought real speed to match the likes of Wallaby wings Peter Hynes and Digby Ioane and he?s itching for the opportunity to help unleash them.

?We?ve got a couple of young speedsters out wide that?s going to be exciting,? Barnes said.

?The fullback spot is obviously going to be hotly contested. You've got (former Canberra Raiders fullback) Mark McLinden, Rodney Davies, who?s just come from league and he has got some jet shoes, and Aidan Toua (from the QAS Reds Academy).

?We definitely have some speed out wide, but it?s up to us in the key positions to get the ball out to them.?

While the Reds squad of 2009 is relatively young, Barnes said they're not raw rookies.

?Guys in key positions have played a couple of years now, so it?s key for us to take those leadership roles and really do something with it.?

Status
Not open for further replies.