• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I doubt it will last Noddy, and I think you are probably telling yourself the same thing. If they keep playing rugby they will naturally get in the Qld way of things, start going to Reds games, and by then we will be beating the Tahs consistently again, so I think they'll turn back to the good side.

In your dreams, Scotty. The administration of rugby in the Premier State by the NSWRU leaves a lot to be desired but we're still streets ahead of those troglodytes at the QRU. Rather than getting all het up about beating the Tahs some time in the future rugby officials and supporters in the Sunshine State would be much better off setting and expecting standards of excellence in our beloved game. How about making things so attractive for talented young blokes they don't want to leave?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, let's finalise this squad:

Fullbacks: Rodney Davies, Aiden Toua, Mark McLindon
Wings: Peter Hynes, Digby Ione, Brando Vaa'ulu
Centres: Morgan Turinui, Charlie Fetoai, Anthony Fainga'a, Blair Connor
Flyhalves: Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper
Scrumhalves: Ben Lucas, Will Genia
Backrow: Leroy Houston, Daniel Braid, Hugh McMeniman, Poutasi Luafutu, Scott Higginbottham, Ezra Taylor
Locks: James Horwill, Van Humphries, Rob Simmons, Adam Byrnes
Props: Greg Holmes, Danya Edwards, Ben Daley, Laurie Weekes, Jack Kennedy
Hookers: Sean Hardman, James Hanson, Saia Fainga'a

That's 32 if I am not missing anyone. Still one more spots to fill and we have the minimum 3 rookie spots, with change. In fact we have three rookie spots in the first position, but realistically Davies, Toua, Connor, Byrnes, Hanson and Kennedy?

What's the thinking? We can still pick an overseas player, who isn't qualified for their country (thus no more Gollings option). I probably still wouldn't say no to a hunk of prop from somewhere hard. Likewise one of those SAffa backrowers to cover the likes of MMM and Taylor who are somewhat halflings (is that the term?).

We covered in the backs?

T

TOCC

yeah that looks about right noddy, we still have one position left to sign a foreign player who can qualify for aus in the future, alternatively the Reds can just sign another local player if they want.

I think we are pretty well covered in the backline, McLindon offers some versatility and professionalism for the back three positions and Fetoia is a pretty handy centre reserve.

Im pretty happy in light of the recent two kiwi signings, they solve some issues and both come with experience which is what is needed.

My Reds team(if Horwill is still injured):

15. Vaalu
14. Hynes
13. Turinui
12. Barnes
11. Ioane
10. Cooper
9. Lucas
8. Houston
7. Taylor
6. Braid
5. McMenimen
4. Humphries
3. Edwards
2. Hardman
1. Holmes

16. Fainga'a
17. Laurie Weekes/Ben Daley
18. Adam Byrnes
19. Putasi Luafutu
20. Will Genia
21. Charlie Fetoia
22. Mark McLindon

F

formeropenside

Noddy - MMM is 2m tall, hardly a halfling (you might be thinking of Mumm; he and Ezra Taylor are 195-196cm).

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
When I was a little tacker I was a big Manly fan. My brother and I would tell each other "dont cry, Noel Cleal wouldnt cry". Then when I was 3 I went to the 87 G.F and saw them win while waving my flag and wearing the scarf.

However come the first game of the next season the Broncos beat them 40-10 in Brisbane's first game in the comp. I went and threw my flag in the bin and changed teams and became a Broncos tragic. Subsequently I have gone for QLD in the State of Origin.

But in every other sport I remain a Blues fan through and through. I justify it by saying League isnt a proper sport and you can go for whoever you want.

T

TOCC

when i was a young one i grew up supporting the Broncos, i played rugby union at school but i followed NRL went to all there home matches and proudly paraded around there jerseys.

Then came the superleage war and the advent of the S12, my juniors rugby side(sunnybank) were given the opportunity to march around the field before one of the Reds matches. Since that day ive being a Reds supporter, whilst i still support the Broncos/lions to a degree, its more of a patriotical Brisbane/Queensland thing, i just dont like other teams beating my home team.

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
when i was a young one i grew up supporting the Broncos, i played rugby union at school but i followed NRL went to all there home matches and proudly paraded around there jerseys.

Then came the superleage war and the advent of the S12, my juniors rugby side(sunnybank) were given the opportunity to march around the field before one of the Reds matches. Since that day ive being a Reds supporter, whilst i still support the Broncos/lions to a degree, its more of a patriotical Brisbane/Queensland thing, i just dont like other teams beating my home team.

I'm always hoping the Lions lose, to the extent I think about AFL at all. Cleanse that filthy Victorian game from Queensland!

And a bit in the C-M today saying Braid's deal is for one year with an option for a second year.

Also a item in the sports gossip saying a former Reds star wants to come home: that could be Drew "Silky Pony" Mitchell, Mitchell Chapman, Tom McVerry, LoJo, Blake, Jnr Pelesasa, Rudi Vedelago, Nic Berry, and probably a bunch of others I have missed.

The Reds still have one slot open in their squad though.

F

formeropenside

Losses: Rodney Blake (France), Josh Afu (Tonga), Ben Coutts (France), Ed O'D (Ulster), Clinton Schif (Ulster), AJ Gilbert (axed), Geoff Abram (axed), Herman Hunt (axed), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Andrew Walker (retired), Henari Veratau (axed), LoJo (Italy), Caleb Brown (Force) Ole Avei (Waikato), John Roe (retired), David Croft (retired), Sam Cordingley (Grenoble), Chris Latham (Leicester)

Gains: Daniel Braid (Blues), Rodney Davies (Broncos), Aiden Toua (Academy), Mark McLinden (UK Super League), Anthony Fainga'a (Brumbies) Blair Connor (Bris Norths, Aust-U20), Ezra Taylor (Highlanders), Jack Kennedy (Brumbies Academy), Laurie Weeks (Syd Uni), Saia Fainga'a (Brumbies), James Hanson (Academy)

I probably missed some as the 2008 Reds roster is now down, with only a low-res group photo in its place.

T

TOCC

imagine if it was Stephen Moore who wanted to come home

Theres so many people it could be

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What's the thinking? We can still pick an overseas player, who isn't qualified for their country (thus no more Gollings option). I probably still wouldn't say no to a hunk of prop from somewhere hard. Likewise one of those SAffa backrowers to cover the likes of MMM and Taylor who are somewhat halflings (is that the term?).

We covered in the backs?

I don't like having only 2 scrum halves, but I'm not sure if the ARU would want to back an import of a young 9. If any likely young OS players want to move over hear, we shouldn't say no though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Losses: Rodney Blake (France), Josh Afu (Tonga), Ben Coutts (France), Ed O'D (Ulster), Clinton Schif (Ulster), AJ Gilbert (axed), Geoff Abram (axed), Herman Hunt (axed), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Andrew Walker (retired), Henari Veratau (axed), LoJo (Italy), Caleb Brown (Force) Ole Avei (Waikato), John Roe (retired), David Croft (retired), Sam Cordingley (Grenoble), Chris Latham (Leicester)

Gee, no wonder we can't get consistently improving performances. That is a 50% turnover on the roster and includes the 4 most experienced players!

F

formeropenside

naza said:
Herman Hunt axed ? I love the Hermanator !! Has no other S14 snapped him up ?

Naza, he missed a lot of Brisbane club rugby, but when he did play he was awesome apparently. I suspect that he was injured - probably the shoulder that caused him trouble last season as well.

I must admit, I was hoping he would end up the reserve prop for the Reds as he was better than Coutts I thought.

Hopefully he will have a big 09 and reappear in S14.

T

TOCC

Scotty said:

Gee, no wonder we can't get consistently improving performances. That is a 50% turnover on the roster and includes the 4 most experienced players!

it is a massive turnover, but Mooney inherited a playing roster of players picked by previous coaches. Whilst i would have loved to keep players like Chris Latham and Stephen Moore, its the unfortunate aspect of professional rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
TOCC said:

I'm always hoping the Lions lose, to the extent I think about AFL at all. Cleanse that filthy Victorian game from Queensland!

And a bit in the C-M today saying Braid's deal is for one year with an option for a second year.

Also a item in the sports gossip saying a former Reds star wants to come home: that could be Drew "Silky Pony" Mitchell, Mitchell Chapman, Tom McVerry, LoJo, Blake, Jnr Pelesasa, Rudi Vedelago, Nic Berry, and probably a bunch of others I have missed.

The Reds still have one slot open in their squad though.

F

formeropenside

Doesn't one of our Scarfer crowd know the Mitch personally, or close to it?

T

TOCC

it would be good if he returned before 2009, it would solve the problems at secondrow and blindside flanker

4. Horwill
5. Chapman
6. McMenimen
7. Braid
8. Houston

I like the look of that a lot, i think Moore would be pretty dissapointed, it seemed like Chapman was the person encouraging him to sign with the Brumbies anyway. I think Chapman has suffered a bit down at the ACT, to me it seemed like he was playing a lot better rugby when he was up with the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Courier Mail's views on the captaincy question:

WALLABY playmaker Berrick Barnes is a frontline contender to become Queensland captain in 2009 after foot surgery knocked out James Horwill.

Top Wallaby lock Horwill has been ordered to stay off his left foot for three months before a realistic idea will emerge on what part he can play in next year's Super 14 for the Reds.
Our rugby union page

Horwill had three screws inserted in the mid-foot on Monday night to hasten the strengthening process after a worsening ligament separation forced him under the knife.

The success story of 2008's Test pack is a major loss for the Wallabies just weeks before their tour but he leaves an even bigger hole in the Reds pack. His authority in all 13 games for the Reds this year was integral to the three wins the lowly team claimed and the respect it rebuilt in others.

Few top-tier coaches could ever have lost four former captains in one off-season while also dealing with the current captain (Horwill) being sidelined for up to seven rounds.

With former skippers Sam Cordingley, Chris Latham, David Croft and John Roe all gone, the elevation of Barnes to captain at 22 may be fast-tracked by Reds boss Phil Mooney.

The only other contenders in the revamped Reds squad are former Wallabies Greg Holmes and Morgan Turinui, who shared the captaincy duties on the recent Reds development tour of Ireland and France. Veteran hooker Sean Hardman would be an outsider.

The Reds deliberately tried not to overburden Barnes when he returned to rugby from league in 2006 because learning the complexities of flyhalf was enough.

"That's no longer a factor," Mooney said.

"Berrick has a year of Test footy behind him now and he's far more accomplished and mature.

"He's very much capable of being a Queensland captain but there will be other good contenders in the picture when we put some serious thought into it."

Horwill said three weeks on crutches and three more in a padded boot was his fate before even contemplating light running in what could be a six-month recovery plan.

"It'll be hard watching on TV when the Wallabies play in Europe but the good news is the surgeon is happy and didn't find anything unexpected," Horwill said.

"I've got to stay off the foot and allow it to mend before I get any time frame on a comeback but I want to be back for the Reds as soon as possible."

T

TOCC

Greg Holmes as Captain and Berrick Barnes as VC would be a good combo, you dont want to put to much pressure on Barnes.

In reality though i dont know the leadership qualities that these players have, Greg Holmes might be as inspiring as a doormat or he could be a natural born leader, who knows. I just hope that big kev is back for 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.