• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Don't know that it has been less of a requirement in that period. Sailor's inability at kicking was well known. He made Wallabies teams not because of that inability, but despite it. If Ioane doesn't improve his kicking from hand he may also get picked despite it.

I always felt that up until the late 90's the ability of a winger to kick off one foot well, and adequately off the other was a prerequisite for an international winger, but maybe that had more the prominence of Campo (and his ability in this area) around the time I began my interest in rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Scotty

Fair enough.

naza

Yeah - the grubber is not used enough by any of the backs if you ask me in this day and age of strong defences. Do you remember the Durban test and Giteau causing all kinds of problems with grubbered kicks that bounced around a lot?

Mind you: there is nothing worse than a bad grubber - well, except a bad chip kick that is fielded on the full. Jack Gibson had it right as he did on many other matters: "Kick it to the seagulls".

I hate chip kicks that don't bounce unless the other mob are doing them.

T

TOCC

well i guess we can finally accept that Van Humphries has re-signed, there was a article on the QRU website about testing and conditioning training for 2009 and Van was in one of the photos.

http://www.qru.com.au/qru/qru.rugby/page/66831
DSC09523.jpg

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Mind you: there is nothing worse than a bad grubber - well, except a bad chip kick that is fielded on the full. Jack Gibson had it right as he did on many other matters: "Kick it to the seagulls".

I wonder why the Boks don't use the old Henry Honiball kick it to the corners tactic. They ground us into the dust with that tactic - I hated it, you knew what was coming but still couldn't do much about it. Our back 3 in recent years are often slow to turn (being 100kgs +) & lazy - I think it'd be effective against us.

I am enjoying hijacking the Queensland thread..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
naza you are a complete dickhead for doing that.

[PS folks - I just wanted naza to reply to get his 1,000 posts up.[

T

TOCC

2009 will be a fantastic year for the Reds, i bet my dignity on it!

At the end of the 2009 S14 season, every S14 player will be talking about Quade "monster step" Cooper, Berrick "perfect" Barnes, James " hardman" Horwill and Peter "try-scoring" Hynes.

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
well i guess we can finally accept that Van Humphries has re-signed, there was a article on the QRU website about testing and conditioning training for 2009 and Van was in one of the photos.

DSC09523.jpg

I think Van was always signed for two years; there was just (for some reason which escapes me) thought that he was seeking a release to move to the Tahs due to their second row shortage. So I dont know if re-signed is quite the right word, and I understand why the QRU dont do a press release saying "Another Red decides not to leave!".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he had a option after one year and was tossing up a OS move, rather than a southern one. I actually think fatprop was wholly and solely responsible for the Tah rumour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
TOCC said:
2009 will be a fantastic year for the Reds, i bet my dignity on it!

Sorry, but all of us Reds supporters no longer have any dignity left.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:

Lee, I'm sure the seagulls would just love a few chip kicks.

T

TOCC

formeropenside said:
TOCC said:

DSC09523.jpg

I think Van was always signed for two years; there was just (for some reason which escapes me) thought that he was seeking a release to move to the Tahs due to their second row shortage. So I dont know if re-signed is quite the right word, and I understand why the QRU dont do a press release saying "Another Red decides not to leave!".

fair enough, it would still be nice if they did mass re-signing articles, for the likes of Van, Cooper, Genia and whoever else ive forgotten.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So if (although probably not) Horwill doesn't make it back in time for the opening games of the season, who assumes the captaincy? I guess it is between Holmes, Barnes, Turinui and Hynes.

Status
Not open for further replies.