• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I reckon he's the obvious choice, provided he's a regular starter, since he is articulate with the media and a good communicator on the field. He was the captain of Oz A and is good with young people in a team.

He's not a Queenslander, but I don't think that would be a huge negative for a caretaker captain. Come to think of it: Jason Little was captain of the Tahs.

T

TOCC

I dont think he is the obvious choice either, regardless of what state he is from i dont think he should be captain.

Come to think of it, when Mooney listed the candiates for the Captaincy last year he said it was a toss up between Horwill, Moore and Cooper.. Cant remember if Barnes was injured or not, but it would seem Mooney's next choice would be Cooper.

Its easy to sit here and say that Morgs is the obvious choice, but we dont know how he operates within the enviroment, Cooper might actually have some genuine leadership skills, and if helps him pull his head in like it did to Horwill then i would say Cooper would be the better choice.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I find it hard to believe that Cooper would be the captain of Queensland.

On the other hand I would have said the same about Horwill this time last year.

F

formeropenside

Lee Grant said:
I reckon he's the obvious choice, provided he's a regular starter, since he is articulate with the media and a good communicator on the field. He was the captain of Oz A and is good with young people in a team.

He's not a Queenslander, but I don't think that would be a huge negative for a caretaker captain. Come to think of it: Jason Little was captain of the Tahs.

all the best Tahs are Queenslanders LG. Latham captained Queensland despite his birthplace, but adopted Qld heart and soul within about 5 minutes of setting foot in the place.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Latham captained Queensland despite his birthplace, but adopted Qld heart and soul within about 5 minutes of setting foot in the place.

I spent six years in Brisbane and remained a Tah for every minute of them, including the 42-4 and 48-10 thrashings at Ballymore. It took every fibre of my being to prevent myself from going troppo; others obviously failed. 8) 8) 8)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
TOCC said:
I dont think he is the obvious choice either, regardless of what state he is from i dont think he should be captain.

Come to think of it, when Mooney listed the candiates for the Captaincy last year he said it was a toss up between Horwill, Moore and Cooper.. Cant remember if Barnes was injured or not, but it would seem Mooney's next choice would be Cooper.

Its easy to sit here and say that Morgs is the obvious choice, but we dont know how he operates within the enviroment, Cooper might actually have some genuine leadership skills, and if helps him pull his head in like it did to Horwill then i would say Cooper would be the better choice.
Charlie Fetoia may be another to come under consideration if he can nail down a starting spot (possible longer term replacement for Morgs?). He captained the Qld side against Auckland a few months back.

T

TOCC

The more i think about it the less i like the idea of Morgs as captain, for starters his going to be struggling to hold down his own spot with some young players like Charlie Fetoia coming through and secondly his not really a player who leads by example..whos ever heard of a captain being the biggest defensive liability in the team?

I think it has to be either Holmes, Berrick or possibly even MMM(if he can stay fit), also if Daniel Braid does sign with the Reds then he might be a credible option as well.

T

TOCC

for those QLD or Farce fans who want some team merchandise, www.merchandiseshop.com.au is having a sale on 2008's jerseys and uniforms, nothing over $50, including jerseys

im tempted to wait for the 2009 jersey but il be screwed if im going to spend $140 on it

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cheers TOCC. My kids are asking for Tahs jerseys for Chrissie so I need to find some cheap ones of them. Anyone of you southerners know if they are sold through Best & Less of something?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Cheers TOCC. My kids are asking for Tahs jerseys for Chrissie so I need to find some cheap ones of them. Anyone of you southerners know if they are sold through Best & Less of something?
Teaching them how to burn effigy's I hope

T

TOCC

wow, i missed that part, i personally dont have kids but i have to admit, but when i do regardless of how many parenting rules i break in the process my kids will never support any team but qld.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TOCC said:
The more i think about it the less i like the idea of Morgs as captain, for starters his going to be struggling to hold down his own spot with some young players like Charlie Fetoia coming through and secondly his not really a player who leads by example..whos ever heard of a captain being the biggest defensive liability in the team?

I think it has to be either Holmes, Berrick or possibly even MMM(if he can stay fit), also if Daniel Braid does sign with the Reds then he might be a credible option as well.

You mean like the wallabies and mortlock?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sully, nice line re effigies.

My eldest (5) has gotten into his footy this year (his first year at school) its not funny. He loves it. Just always wants to watch it and when he's not watching it he's outside playing it.

he has gone through most of my rugby DVDs - the 92 Bledisloe series, the Gregan tackle match of 94, those 2 great 2000 Oz v NZ tests and all of this years games.

So anyway he developed a love of the tahs. And his little brother (3) just copies him. Why the tahs? I think 3 reasons:

- cause of Lachie Turner. My youngest son (1) is called Lachie so that drew his attention. The fact he's blonde and fast also did, because so is my son.
- I went to most Reds home games so didn't watch as many on tv. But would watch the Tahs. I would record them and he would watch them with me.
- he doesn't like losing. Thus he didn't like the reds. I took him to one reds game v the Stormers. And we got thrashed so I think that put him off.

So now he wants to grow up and play for the tahs. And his favorite player is Lachie Turner (and he likes Rob Horne too). And his little brother loves Phil Waugh. They got to meet them both at the Wallaby fan day up here and loved it.

Ironically I think that's their future positions. The oldest one is fast and has great hands and an excellent boot (can do drop kicks) so I see him as a fullback ala Lachie, Latho, Cullen. The next one is a little scrapper who loves to wrestle and get amongst it ala Phil Waugh or Crofty.

And so endeth my over the top parental boast.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy, I don't know whether to laugh or cry after that post: a staunch banana-bender whose anklebiters run around in Tahs' jumpers. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well sure tolerate there re-"Tah"-dedness but don't support it tell them the Tahs can be there second team but as a true Qld you have to put the Reds first! If that doesn't work lock them under the stairs and tell the neighbours they at Nanas

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Nod's post rings true.

I took my son to a league test at the SFS last year or the year before and he was going for the Kiwis with some passion. He's no a little kid like Nod's and the crowd around us was bagging him good naturedly whenever Oz scored. He does have a bit of Kiwi blood in his veins but it surprised me.

A couple of years ago I saw some kid of a near neighbours playing footie on his lawn wearing a little All Black jersey. I was close by so in neighbourly fashion wandered over and asked his dad what part of NZ he was from. He said he wasn't, nor was his wife.

When I asked dad about the jersey and the subversion of our children by the evil Kiwis, he said that the boy saw them doing the haka on TV and wanted the jersey for his birthday or something.

Bloody hell.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I doubt it will last Noddy, and I think you are probably telling yourself the same thing. If they keep playing rugby they will naturally get in the Qld way of things, start going to Reds games, and by then we will be beating the Tahs consitently again, so I think they'll turn back to the good side.

Personally I think Holmes will be the choice for captain.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am sure he will come around but I'm loving the fact that's he's loving his rugby. He does like Hynes and Barnes and Lucas though, so that's a start

Status
Not open for further replies.