• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and I didn't see this posted anywhere, from earlier in the week.

ONE-time Canberra dynamo Mark McLinden has booked himself into pre-season training a month early, so eager is he to grab the vacant Reds full-back spot next year.

While squadmates are heading into a two-week vacation, McLinden will continue gym and sprint work to build on his first fortnight in rugby since his Canberra schooldays.

McLinden is far from a fading, jaded figure after more than a decade in professional football teams.

"I'm 29, with a few good years left, and this shot at rugby is something I've been keen on all through my league time," McLinden said at Ballymore.

"I've come into pre-season early because there are a lot of subtleties to learn in a new game and I want to put my hand up for the opening at full-back."

It's a good early sign that the Reds have gambled shrewdly on McLinden because pre-season doesn't officially begin until October 27.

In squad sprint testing over 40m, McLinden registered in the top bracket, so the asset that earned regular tries for the Raiders and, most recently, London's Harlequins, is still sharp.

He spoke at length to former Reds full-back Clinton Schifcofske before taking the plunge into rugby and has kept in touch since his former Raiders teammate took up with Irish club Ulster.

"When to kick and when to run is the single biggest issue, Clinton told me. It's not like league where you can always run and have the safety of a play-the-ball if you're isolated and tackled," he said.

"It's subtleties like that which are the challenge.

"Most league players don't find rugby as easy as they might expect because the best to make the switch have still taken time to peak. It's all exciting for me."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QR Reds recruit Daniel Braid is keen to lead the youthful Queensland squad by example - which is one of the reasons Coach Phil Mooney wanted to sign the All Black flanker for 2009.

Mooney said the character of his players is as important to the squad as their football ability and Braid earned high marks on both counts from his former Auckland Blues coach David Nucifora, now Australian Rugby's High Performance General Manager.

"Football skill is important but the quality of the person and what they can offer to our program is vital as well. David spoke very highly of Daniel in terms of his leadership qualities and with a young group it was important that we sign a player with those qualities."

Braid said he "definitely" wanted to help with the leadership of the team, which he said is on the way up, with an exciting batch of talented young players.

"I've just finished a season with a very young Auckland side and I've got experience of how to motivate and relate to young guys and how to impart the knowledge that I've got onto them," Braid told a Ballymore news conference today.

Braid is the first ?marquee? player to be recruited by an Australian Super 14 team since the ARU relaxed its rules on foreign player eligibility and Mooney said it was a policy change well worth making.

"The benefit that we derive from it is the fact that we've got a guy who's played internationally for another country (and) played very successfully in provincial programs. So what Daniel offers us with approaches to the game, his different experiences on and off the field, I think will be beneficial not just to the Reds but to the younger guys in the Academy who play in that position," Mooney said.

Braid was recruited to the Reds following veteran flanker David Croft's surprise decision to retire from the professional game and Braid acknowledges they will be big shoes to fill.

"When you're playing against the Reds, he's (Croft) always the guy that you target first, you've got to take out. He put his body on the line every single game. I saw him after the game when the Blues played the Reds and he threw everything into that. His arm was in a sling, there was all ice there, his face was bashed up, had stitches. That's just the sort of guy he is," Braid said.

Braid has signed a one year deal with the QR Reds with an option for a second season.

He has played with the Auckland-based Blues since 2001 and earned 59 Super Rugby caps for the Blues in a total of 78 appearances for his province.

He is a member of the rare father and son All Black club and earned his fourth Test cap for New Zealand playing against Australia in Sydney this year.

Braid has captained New Zealand Secondary Schools and played for New Zealand under-19s, Colts and under-21s, making his Test debut in 2002 against Wales before playing his first Super Rugby match (v Waratahs 2003).

081016_Mooney_and_Braid.jpg

T

TOCC

also for the Reds fans out there, the QRU is selling memberships online, which is the first time they have done it, so if your a Reds fan get in there and buy a membership, they start off as cheap as $15 for the supporters package which is for people like me who want to support the Reds but cant make the games.

T

TOCC

well apparently he has still got that speed, they said he scored in the top bracket at the Reds for speed

S

Spook

I played against him years ago (touch footy) and we couldn't lay a hand on the bugger.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Queensland need to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

Mediocre mungoes.
Awful All Blacks.

Agreed with TOCC. You don't get picked at S14 level in Oz if you don't have test potential. Why are these wooden spooners bothering with a 29 year old rookie who has been bald for 10 years ?

T

TOCC

naza said:
Queensland need to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

Mediocre mungoes.
Awful All Blacks.

Agreed with TOCC. You don't get picked at S14 level in Oz if you don't have test potential. Why are these wooden spooners bothering with a 29 year old rookie who has been bald for 10 years ?

well thats not who i was reffering to, i actually think that McLinden contributes something to the Reds in terms of maturity and experience.

If anyone is at fault over the Reds poor performances the last two seasons it is the ARU, the Reds were obviously hurt the most when the Force was created due to the number of players off contract. If it wasnt the Reds it would have being the Tahs or Brumbies. The ARU fucked up by not creating other avenues in player recruitment, why are they only now introducing a foreign player rule when we should have had it 2 years ago!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds should really be our #1 team when you look at how many of the current Wallaby 22 are from Qld.

1.Benn Robinson
2.Stephen Moore (Q)
3.Al Baxter
4.James Horwill (Q)
5.Nathan Sharpe (Q)
6.Rocky Elsom (Q)
7.George Smith
8.Cliffy palu
9.Cordingley (Q)
10.Mat Giteau
11.Lote Tuqiri (Q)
12.Stirling Mortlock
13.Ryan Cross
14.Peter Hynes (Q)
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
16.Frier
17.Dunning
18.MMM (Q)
19.Waugh
20.Brown (Q)
21.Sheehan
22.Mitchell (Q)

10 out of 22 are Qlders that I know of.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Then if you add in a few fringe wallabies they'd nearly be half the whole squad. I'll claim Vickerman & Pocock to that list as other Qld squad members as they both started here.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
disco said:
Then if you add in a few fringe wallabies they'd nearly be half the whole squad. I'll claim Vickerman & Pocock to that list as other Qld squad members as they both started here.

Pocock I can accept but how can you claim Vickerman? He was a SA'can who, after representing SA U21 emigrated to NSW and started playing for Sydney Uni. The only games he has played in Qld are for the Brumbies, NSW or Australia.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
disco said:
The Reds should really be our #1 team when you look at how many of the current Wallaby 22 are from Qld.

1.Benn Robinson
2.Stephen Moore (Q)
3.Al Baxter
4.James Horwill (Q)
5.Nathan Sharpe (Q)
6.Rocky Elsom (Q)
7.George Smith
8.Cliffy palu
9.Cordingley (Q)
10.Mat Giteau
11.Lote Tuqiri (Q)
12.Stirling Mortlock
13.Ryan Cross
14.Peter Hynes (Q)
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
16.Frier
17.Dunning
18.MMM (Q)
19.Waugh
20.Brown (Q)
21.Sheehan
22.Mitchell (Q)

10 out of 22 are Qlders that I know of.

Christ you Queenslanders are loose with the truth. Sharpe was born in the sporting capital of the western world, Wagga Wagga, and plies his trade in Perth. Elsom was born in Melbourne and has played all his senior football in Sydney and Dublin. Cordingley was born and bred in Sydney, went to St Patrick's Marist College, Dundas and started his senior career at the Rats before finishing up at Grenoble. Tuqiri was born in Fiji and plays for West Harbour and the Tahs.

Queensland can't claim these four. ??? ??? ???

W

whocares

Plus all the rest are from NSW
so that makes it 12 out of 22 from NSW if you count the four above as QLDers

F

formeropenside

Tom said:

I think you will find Giteau is from the ACT.

Also you left Barnes out of the team at 12. I dont think NSW can claim him.

W

whocares

formeropenside said:
Tom said:

I think you will find Giteau is from the ACT.

Also you left Barnes out of the team at 12. I dont think NSW can claim him.

Your right we cant claim Barnes but Giteau was born in sydney so thats good enough

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:
Christ you Queenslanders are loose with the truth. Sharpe was born in the sporting capital of the western world, Wagga Wagga, and plies his trade in Perth. Elsom was born in Melbourne and has played all his senior football in Sydney and Dublin. Cordingley was born and bred in Sydney, went to St Patrick's Marist College, Dundas and started his senior career at the Rats before finishing up at Grenoble. Tuqiri was born in Fiji and plays for West Harbour and the Tahs.

Quensland can't claim these four. ??? ??? ???

Meh. Sure can! Born. Has nothing to do with it. Senior education and first high level footballing, such as high school and colts and then 1st grade, does. In that case, Elsom (Nudgee College, poached by the Bulldogs), Tuqiri and Sharpe (The Southport School) are all Queenslanders. I like to judge by league SOO rules - all three would be playing for Queensland in SOO, despite playing for DRP Tahs, Force, and Tahs respectively.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Elsom was born in Melbourne and has played all his senior football in Sydney and Dublin. Cordingley was born and bred in Sydney, went to St Patrick's Marist College, Dundas and started his senior career at the Rats before finishing up at Grenoble. Tuqiri was born in Fiji and plays for West Harbour and the Tahs.

Queensland can't claim these four.

Elsom & Tuqiri were schooled in Qld so that's good enough. Being schooled in Qld is good enough for Mat Rogers & league SOS.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Back to the Reds squad and 2009 and beyond.

Most people have discussed the need for depth and looking through the squad I believe that is starting to appear.

My take on the forwards:

Front Row

Holmes and Edwards will more than likely be starting and from what I hear, Sliiper and Anae are making good progress and Kennedy impressed on tour. Unfortunately know nothing about Weekes. The forwards coach is highly rated and I am sure will rotate these guys so that there is the right combination between experience and youth on the paddock at any one time. That comment applies to the hookers as well. One more experienced prop probably wouldn't go astray and Edwards needs to work on his fitness.

Hookers

Hardman is an ideal first choice given his experience and Fainga'a has had some S14 time. Hanson is a good unit and measured exposure for him will be a good thing. I understand that Anae can also fill this position if necessary.

Locks

Horwill (once back from injury) and Van to be first choice, with 3M or Taylor as first up options. I will be interested to see how Byrnes goes and I wonder whether Simmons is going to be ready for some game time? He certainly looked to have promise a couple of years back and is big enough.

Backrow

Braid - what a godsend!, 3M and Houston ( a fitter version) to start with Taylor as a back up and Luafutu and Higginbottom to build on their S14 exposure last year. Jake Schatz to be a bolter towards the end of the season.

Not sure who I missed, and I'm far from being a forwards expert, but it doesn't look like too bad a forward squad to me.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
spectator said:
Back to the Reds squad and 2009 and beyond.

Most people have discussed the need for depth and looking through the squad I believe that is starting to appear.

My take on the forwards:

Front Row

Holmes and Edwards will more than likely be starting and from what I hear, Sliiper and Anae are making good progress and Kennedy impressed on tour. Unfortunately know nothing about Weekes. The forwards coach is highly rated and I am sure will rotate these guys so that there is the right combination between experience and youth on the paddock at any one time. That comment applies to the hookers as well. One more experienced prop probably wouldn't go astray and Edwards needs to work on his fitness.

Problem is, apart from Holmes and maybe Edwards, they are all unproven at any real level. Weeks was fantastic in a dominant Sydney Uni scrum, and Edwards did well in the set peices last year for the Reds. But Edwards really struggled with the pace of the S14, and Weeks will probably do the same. Edwards needs to do lots of running. Slipper and Kenney have potential, but are still young and may never make the step up to the S14.

I think that the Reds are no better off in the front row then in previous years, and in fact, may look worse at this stage when they had Holmes, Blake and Coutts (who was rated by some coming from the NH), or even Tom Court.

Hookers

Hardman is an ideal first choice given his experience and Fainga'a has had some S14 time. Hanson is a good unit and measured exposure for him will be a good thing. I understand that Anae can also fill this position if necessary.

Hardman's a journeyman - a very solid and respectable one, who's specialty is the set peices. You know what you get from him, but he's not a star. He's also around 31 or so now?

Fainga'a has had some S14 game time and is bulking up, but has hardly covered himself in glory at the club level recently. He's still not proven at all, and has to show he can take the step up - just like Hanson.

The Reds are definitely worse off here. The loss of Moore means they have the solid journeyman Hardman and two unproven players, with potential. This is pretty much the story for the Reds I think.

Locks

Horwill (once back from injury) and Van to be first choice, with 3M or Taylor as first up options. I will be interested to see how Byrnes goes and I wonder whether Simmons is going to be ready for some game time? He certainly looked to have promise a couple of years back and is big enough.

Not as strong as last year (again). Horwill, Humphries, 3M. Simmons with potential to be a S14 level player, but is an unknown for that level. 3M will be more of a loosie again. The loss is the solid Ed O'Donogue from one of the very few positions the Reds had depth. Byrnes I doubt will go past solid club player, and Taylor is not a lock.

Backrow

Braid - what a godsend!, 3M and Houston ( a fitter version) to start with Taylor as a back up and Luafutu and Higginbottom to build on their S14 exposure last year. Jake Schatz to be a bolter towards the end of the season.

Not sure who I missed, and I'm far from being a forwards expert, but it doesn't look like too bad a forward squad to me.

Indeed, RE Braid. The latest 3M injury has shown the writing on the wall, and we'll be lucky to see half a season or so from him I think, so expect to see his replacement (Taylor? Higganbothm? Luafutu?) get plenty of game time. The loss off Roe is also painful, made up somewhat by the signing of Taylor, but I'd prefer to have Roe around to guide, say, Schatz in for the next two years. If Braid gets crocked, then the Reds will suffer badly without even another fetcher on the books.

I don't see the forward depth myself. All I see is some players with potential to make the step up, and some solid club grafters filling up the Reds' ranks (the same problem exists in the outside backs as well) beyond the familar faces that remain. The problem with even the most talented players is that some don't step up to the S14 level, and I think we will see plenty of that as the Reds fill out their roster over the next 2 years, so I don't think they can be labelled as depth. The Reds have had to take a punt on players with inexperience but potential in a lot of key areas - even just to fill out their roster.

Sadly, I think it's going to be another bottom 4 finish for us long suffering Reds fans. But there will be plenty of excitement with the new players. If the Reds can pull just 2 - 4 good S14 players, I think it will look good for the future.

The problem will be holding on to them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sunshine Coast Stingrays are confident of improving further in 2009 after coming off their best-ever Premier Rugby season.

After three straight wooden spoons littered with blowout losses, the Stingrays earnt the respect of the rugby world with a some fine performances in 2008.

But coach Glenn Panoho, preparing for his second year at the helm, isn?t about to let his squad hang their hat on that.

?The playing roster is looking pretty good, and the theme for the year is ?time to move forward?,? he said. ?We had a good year last year in terms of results and the players are now used to the style of football I play.

?The great thing is we don?t need to go looking for a great deal of players. We?re looking for two or three that want to be a part of us, and Morgan (marquee player Morgan Turinui) has been helping us with that.

?Hopefully we?ll make the next step and be knocking on the door of the finals.?

The Stingrays will have plenty of opportunities to impress, with the upcoming season to be one of the longest in history.

?It?s going to be a long season; it starts mid-February and goes right through until September,? Panoho said. ?They?ve combined the Country competition into a State Cup competition now, where there?s five rounds before Premier Rugby starts, and games within Premier Rugby count toward that State Cup.

?With the (proposed) expansion of the premier competition, they?re looking at bringing teams in from Cairns, maybe Townsville and possibly Darling Downs.

?This is all mooted for the future, so they?re giving those regions exposure to premier rugby sides.?

Turinui, who re-signed with the Queensland Reds for a further two seasons recently, is hopeful of adding to the three matches he played for the Stingrays in 2008.

?Because of the extended season, there?ll probably be eight or nine games that I can play,? Turinui said.

The Wallabies centre also applauded the Queensland Reds? signing of All Black Daniel Braid for the coming Super 14 season.

?He?s probably the most important signing by an Australian rugby team in a decade
,? he praised. ?The huge hole we had with the retirement of David Croft, we?ve been able to fill with probably the second best number seven in New Zealand.

?He hasn?t chosen his club team yet, so I?ll have to have a chat to him when the pre-season starts.?

Status
Not open for further replies.