• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

randalf8

Safe to say Berrick Barnes was picked last during forcings back at school. I reckon if you set out to place the ball in the breadbasket of the back 3 of the opposition, you'd struggle to match Barnes' proficiency.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there has been a clear gameplan which Scott has pointed out in one of his posts and The Rugby Club have also been talking about it a fair bit.

It is getting the forwards to 'come around the corner' and work the ball from one side of the field to another. When the forwards get there timing right it gets the opposition defence shifting quickly to try and cover it. The key to making it work is getting the timing right on having the forwards coming around the corner and also having the backline and others re-align to give you options in either direction.

You are essentially doing it until you can exploit a mismatch in players or numbers.

The All Blacks aren't that different in their game plan. Their execution is just much better. They particularly excell in working out when the opportunity is there and exploiting it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
My feelings at this point are that the Wallabies as a team are on auto pilot. The forwards having been stung by strong criticism and have identified their failings. They have turned it around, largely being helped by an infusion of young, keen talent who are giving it their all, which has allowed them to string together some decent performances. Not dominant, but very respectful for our oft maligned pack.

But this just won't work with the backs. Guts and hard graft are attitude based, which will work for the forwards. But the backs need basic skill execution and communication/combinations. Under RD's the only time our backline looked any good was 2010/2011 backline where he basically put the Reds backline on the park. Injuries have been cruel, but so has the volume of players we have played out of position and the lack of a clearly identifiable/implementable winning game plan.

And the key word to the statement is "winning game plan".

R

randalf8

Their execution is just much better. They particularly excell in working out when the opportunity is there and exploiting it.

Once again it seems to come down to player judgement. When to kick/pass/run and where to kick/pass/run etc.

The plan needs to acknowledge the players we've got, not the players the coach probably wishes we had, or the players he coached 10 years ago. Very few of our players in the last 5 years have shown a decent degree of tactical nous. It has been five long years of "you thought the biggest butterfingers in the side was an appropriate receiver of the ball 10 metres from our own line with 5 minutes to go and us up by a point?"

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Okay so who out of the backline is not doing the hard yards? You'd need to name at least four to call a backline lazy I think. McCabe? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Ioane? Genia? Barnes? Starting to look a bit shakey I'd say.

Sent using Tapatalk

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry Cyclopath your right they definitely have a game plan or aim (I think every team to play the game does). But there is no structure or attacking pattern ( I am more alluding to this). One only need look at how the forwards bunch to most breaks downs to realise this or view the fact that we don't have many moves or line runners.
T
he All Blacks have used a similar structure for 6/7 years. I wont right an essay to break it down but refer to Scott Allen's video on structures to get a look. I understand theya rent psychics and can't predict exactly what each player to do but there patterns are aimed at forcing the hand of their opponents and they know what type of opportunity each play is going to present itself.

Quick example they knew that after a few times of aiming SBW at Quade so he can get an offload to a Carter looping around or Nonu charging through was going to cause the centres to jam in on SBW and open up space between the 12/13 channel. So after 30 minutes of Quade being hammered they bum ball SBW to Nonu who now has an overlap with Dagg and his wingers. It wasn't Carter being a magician, he just new that Barnes had no choice but to make a move or risk SBW bumping Quade off 20m out.

J

Jiggles

Well, I wouldn't quite go that far!! :D

Just for arguments sake I will say yes I can see a clear plan in the wallabies game.

However what does this say about Deans? He has had 5 years in the job (Five! Who was the last coach to have five years?? Dwyer?) yet it still looks as if he rolled out the grand plan the Thursday before every test. For what ever reason his plan is not working with the players he has. A good coach will adapt a plan to his players. It should never be the other way round.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just for arguments sake I will say yes I can see a clear plan in the wallabies game.

However what does this say about Deans? He has had 5 years in the job (Five! Who was the last coach to have five years?? Dwyer?) yet it still looks as if he rolled out the grand plan the Thursday before every test. For what ever reason his plan is not working with the players he has. A good coach will adapt a plan to his players. It should never be the other way round.
It reflects poorly, I totally agree. I wasn't making a statement to defend Deans, or support him per se. It was more that I felt the argument about game plans was a bit flawed.

T

TOCC

Surely i dont need to point out that a coaches responsibility isnt purely to implement a game plan but to also ensure team cohesion and a positive attitude... For all we know Robbie Deans could have the greatest game plan ever to grace rugby, but its his ability to have the team follow and play to this plan coupled with the players understanding and ability to implement the plan which is failing.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry Cyclopath your right they definitely have a game plan or aim (I think every team to play the game does). But there is no structure or attacking pattern ( I am more alluding to this). One only need look at how the forwards bunch to most breaks downs to realise this or view the fact that we don't have many moves or line runners.
T
he All Blacks have used a similar structure for 6/7 years. I wont right an essay to break it down but refer to Scott Allen's video on structures to get a look. I understand theya rent psychics and can't predict exactly what each player to do but there patterns are aimed at forcing the hand of their opponents and they know what type of opportunity each play is going to present itself.

Quick example they knew that after a few times of aiming SBW at Quade so he can get an offload to a Carter looping around or Nonu charging through was going to cause the centres to jam in on SBW and open up space between the 12/13 channel. So after 30 minutes of Quade being hammered they bum ball SBW to Nonu who now has an overlap with Dagg and his wingers. It wasn't Carter being a magician, he just new that Barnes had no choice but to make a move or risk SBW bumping Quade off 20m out.

Lets look at how SBW is able to "target" Quade. He was able to because the ABs were going forwards at a rate of knots for most of the game. It's a lot easier to dictate the play when doing so. Look at the times when the ABs were caught trying to play behind the gain line and SBW trying to attack was cut down easily by A. Finger.

The point is that IMO the Wallabies are not getting enough go forward, compound that with poor execution, mistakes and aimless kicking an it would look as if there is nobody on the same page or no plan.

The clip they showed last night with Kafer showed a clear "gameplan" but it's executed going forward and with bodies in motion going forward.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
..snip....

While Dingo has been around for 5 years, he has not had the same players with him in the same positions for the same 5 year period. Often injuries in the last week before a match has forced a shuffle such that they can appear rabbits in the headlight come game day.

Not absolving Dingo, cause he has a hand in selecting the squad and preparing the extended squad and ensuring that they understand the grand plan, but injuries to key players can "upset" preparations.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the Wayne Bennett coaching also, can someone explain what happened with Newcastle this season? Were they not in the similar position of Pre-Wayne Dragons? Was it his coaching that wasn't up to it or was it the players?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I didn't see Bennett drop a ball,take the wrong option or miss a tackle all year.
I am confident he did not ask his players to do any of these things either.
So if you saw them get beat this year without the players doing any of these things, then it's Bennetts fault.
If you saw their players dropping the ball missing tackles etc, then blame the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.