• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Based on his past performances I don't see why he'd wait until the end of the season to go back.
I just don't see how Cooper is a boxer - a boxing 5/8 would not have shirked his defensive responsibilities or avoided heavy contact.
Also 31.12.2012 to 8.2.2013 is not nearly enough time to seriously train for a pro boxing bout - is it?

Watching cooper box will certainly be interesting. He's a good athlete but there is more to being a good boxer than just the physical state.

Maybe an outing or two in the ring will do his confidence in defence a world of good.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Does anyone think that the ARU should put its cards on the table?
I suppose they cant tell us what the contract was that they offered him but maybe they could outline the major features and give us a ballpark - i.e. what players are on similar money, without saying how much: I dont see why they cant indicate whether the boxing was stumbling block to agreement. It reeks of only having been thought of very recently - QC (Quade Cooper)'s description of how it came to him that boxing was the way, the truth and the light was unconvincing, I thought.
The ARU does need to get on the font foot if they are without fault or are less at fault than QC (Quade Cooper) because they risk alienating some Reds fans and a lot of Qld if they continue to allow him to hog the limelight.

That's about the last way the ARU should go about getting on the front foot. If its about boxing they could say so but airing the contract size and that of comparable players is asking for trouble.

The Reds are bigger than Cooper and I think the state based stuff is overplayed in this. He has done them very few favours and I doubt the guys in charge are so blind as to blame the ARU for this mess.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
How is he going to play for the Reds?
His press conference was all about what pricks the ARU have been,and how they have made it impossible for Quade to honour his Reds contract.
After his fight he still needs to come to terms with the ARU before he can play for the Reds.
And today was not about building bridges.
He is gone to Aust Rugby for the foreseeable future IMO.

He can sign a Reds only contract no problems at all. Yes, the ARU need to sign off on it but if there is no ARU component then they would be bloody brave to refuse Quade the ability to play for QLD.

T

TOCC

He was still being offered $400k per year to play for the Reds.

The idea of sabbaticals should only be for key players after long periods of service.

When the ARU is guaranteeing a large salary they shouldn't offer someone an opportunity to do something else that has a strong chance of them getting injured.

I agree sabbaticals should be retained for players who have represented the Wallabies for a set number of years..

But on the second point, the ARU isn't guaranteeing a large salary, according to the reports they are offering an incentive based contract which is dependant on the number of test matches he plays. So in this scenario, even if Quade was injured in the fight he still receives a large sum of money whilst the ARU dont have to pay him because he is not going to meet the required incentive levels.

Boxing isn't a significant injury risk when compared to rugby, it is fatiguing yes, and fighters will receive a significant number of superficial wounds, but the likely injuries are either going to be a wrist/hand injury or a facial fracture which aren't really that common.

If the ARU aren't going to guarantee an income, then they should allow the players to box if they wish.. if the player is called into the Wallaby squad then test matches take precedent. All fights should be scheduled for the off-season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree sabbaticals should be retained for players who have represented the Wallabies for a set number of years..

But on the second point, the ARU isn't guaranteeing a large salary, according to the reports they are offering an incentive based contract which is dependant on the number of test matches he plays. So in this scenario, even if Quade was injured in the fight he still receives a large sum of money whilst the ARU dont have to pay him because he is not going to meet the required incentive levels.

Boxing isn't a significant injury risk when compared to rugby, it is fatiguing yes, and fighters will receive a significant number of superficial wounds, but the likely injuries are either going to be a wrist/hand injury or a facial fracture which aren't really that common.

If the ARU aren't going to guarantee an income, then they should allow the players to box if they wish.. if the player is called into the Wallaby squad then test matches take precedent. All fights should be scheduled for the off-season.

The Reds contract is still money coming from the ARU. The previous offer was reported at $400k per year.

Why would the ARU want a player on a very high value Super Rugby contract if they caused problems for Australian Rugby and had no interest in playing for the Wallabies.

It would make more sense at this stage for the Reds to say that QC (Quade Cooper) is their marquee player if they still want him to play.

The bulk of what every player earns comes from their Super Rugby contract. This is all coming out of the same finite pool of money the ARU has to spend each year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

FFS this is the problem.
Special deals/allowances for Quade. It's a team game everyone gets the same treatment otherwise..
If Quade can box, then let Hooper off all summer so he can compete at Surf Lifesaving.
Let Genia off for January so he can compete at the World Sudoko champs.
I reckon Mitchell would love a couple of weeks to go to Vegas for the Texas Hold 'em tournament.
Pocock would love a few months to go back to Zim and do some charity work.
Kurtley has always wanted to spend a few weeks in June for Royal Ascot.etc etc etc.

T

TOCC

The Reds contract is still money coming from the ARU. The previous offer was reported at $400k per year.

Why would the ARU want a player on a very high value Super Rugby contract if they caused problems for Australian Rugby and had no interest in playing for the Wallabies.

It would make more sense at this stage for the Reds to say that QC (Quade Cooper) is their marquee player if they still want him to play.

The bulk of what every player earns comes from their Super Rugby contract. This is all coming out of the same finite pool of money the ARU has to spend each year.

Seems like an issue for the QRU then and not the ARU..The QRU seems more then happy to burden that risk as indicated by the new articles..
They are the organisation who will lose players to other teams if they put too much value on QC (Quade Cooper) and his contract...

Given Quades marketing power, i also believe it would be a sure bet that his presence would contribute almost equal in sponsorship/memberships/bums on seats that his $400k is worth.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
FFS this is the problem.
Special deals/allowances for Quade. It's a team game everyone gets the same treatment otherwise..
If Quade can box, then let Hooper off all summer so he can compete at Surf Lifesaving.
I reckon Mitchell would love a couple of weeks to go to Vegas for the Texas Hold 'em tournament.
Kurtley has always wanted to spend a few weeks in June for Royal Ascot.etc etc etc.

I know you were speaking tongue in cheek, but what would be wrong with Hooper lifesaving? Mitchell playing in Card Tournaments? Pocock doing some charity work back in ZIM? etc?

The problem most have with Cooper boxing (apart from not liking Quade one bit) is the likelihood of him getting injured whilst being contracted to the ARU/QRU. Of all your examples I think the only realistic one is Hooper's and I wouldn't have the slightest problem in him training and competing in Lifesaving or Ironman tournaments in the off season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know you were speaking tongue in cheek, but what would be wrong with Hooper lifesaving? Mitchell playing in Card Tournaments? Pocock doing some charity work back in ZIM? etc?

The problem most have with Cooper boxing (apart from not liking Quade one bit) is the likelihood of him getting injured whilst being contracted to the ARU/QRU. Of all your examples I think the only realistic one is Hooper's and I wouldn't have the slightest problem in him training and competing in Lifesaving or Ironman tournaments in the off season.
Well, how about players not getting the rest/break time they need to compete as a professional rugby player

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
FFS this is the problem.

Check out this You tube clip for what a Wobs preseason training session could end up like for the S&C staff if player power like suggested above ruled.

Sorry I can't seem to embed the You tube clip. You will need to follow this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=nLJ8ILIE780

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, how about players not getting the rest/break time they need to compete as a professional rugby player

Remind me again when the ARU were interested in giving the players the rest/break time they need to compete as a professional rugby player? Last years spring tour immediately following the RWC would've been a good time to do that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Watching cooper box will certainly be interesting. He's a good athlete but there is more to being a good boxer than just the physical state.

Maybe an outing or two in the ring will do his confidence in defence a world of good.

Not just defense that is his weak point, it his confidence in contact overall that is the problem. If he starts to relish the contact, he will become a much better rugby player.

We can only hope.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He can sign a Reds only contract no problems at all. Yes, the ARU need to sign off on it but if there is no ARU component then they would be bloody brave to refuse Quade the ability to play for QLD.
He can't do anything no problems at all.
Why would QC (Quade Cooper) be happy to earn zero from the ARU?
He could have done that today, but has refused point blank to do anything with the ARU to date.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
could be a painfully slow last 50 to make it

Oh Yee of little faith. We are dealing with the walking headline here.

Quoting from the Blues Brothers:
"Anybody with that kind of record is gonna make a mistake. I want all party members in the tri state district to montor the city, county and state police on their CB. Mr Blues Cooper is gonna f*ck up. And when he does ......." another 50 pages for the thread.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Remind me again when the ARU were interested in giving the players the rest/break time they need to compete as a professional rugby player? Last years spring tour immediately following the RWC would've been a good time to do that.
Look up their RUPA agreement, the reason for it is to get the downtime

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You think the players are overworked,and your solution is to allow them a part time job in their holiday?
Or is the suggestion the ARU should reduce the workload(and their revenues) to allow these well paid players more time to pursue other money making ventures?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Danny Green should just call it for what it is and say that a couple of celebrity sportsmen getting in the ring isn't boxing and is just a show put on to make money.

For all intents and purposes, they could be spruiking a performance of Guys and Dolls starring Cooper and Steffensen (I just don't think that would attract the intended crowd).

I recall Kepler Wessles getting into the boxing ring when he was playing shield cricket for Queensland & opening the batting for Australia. Not one bad word was said about this & there was a lot of interest in how he would go. Ditto for Billy Johnson, a state of origin hooker & now mungo club fitness guru.
If this is something QC (Quade Cooper) wants to have a go at who are any of us to begrudge him? He is after all only young once. It's his career, his life.

I'm still tipping him to sign the ARU contract in February & turn out for the Reds next season. He'll carve it up, earn an ARU upgrade... and hopefully become more successful at international level.
Most people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

And the handful of tragic yet committed haters are still gonna hate.

Sad for them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And I remember when Chicka Ferguson was doing gardening or some kind of trade work at my local primary school........

Different times.........

Status
Not open for further replies.