• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Not so different Slim, see Sonny Bill and Mundine... Mundine boxed before leaving league. I'm sure there would be others.

Anywho, outta this thread for good.
I'll leave it for the haters to bitch and moan.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If he wants to see how good a fighter he is, perhaps a visit any Saturday Night to the Mean Fiddler in Rouse Hill should be in order.

Seriously though, it seems that this is just a one off "exhibition" deal isn't it, rather than a genuine career change like Mundine did.

The way Team QC (Quade Cooper) has gone around organising this one off exhibition fight seems to be rather silly in terms of the bridges burned, goodwill lost and colateral reputational damage. In some respects has he "done a Folau" and become an expendible marketing tool that will simply be used to promote the SBW fight.

Within reason, he should be free to do what he wants provided his moonlighting activities don't impact on his ability to do his day job of playing and preparing for Footy matches.

He just looks like a scared little kid that has just kicked over a massive bull ants nest, "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

As much as I hope he is back in red soon, and HTFU to win his gig back as a GOLD #10, I just can't see it happening in a hurry.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok.

I sat on the sidelines here for quite some time, quietly hoping that this was a non issue and was indeed a bit of bluff from both sides. Not anymore.

I like Quade as a player, I think he brings a hell of a lot to any team he plays for. But I believe what he is pulling here is nothing but childish. A sabbatical written into your contract must be earned. Looking at the precedent set across the ditch, look at the players that have been afforded a sabbatical.. 2 of the best to ever pull on an AB jersey.

This whole boxing gig is total bullshit. Khoder is manipulating a very impressionable young man. If Quade is going to come out and say his major love is rugby, then why the hell is he pulling this boxing bullshit? He never even hinted at boxing until recently. And for all of his expressed love for the Reds, he is most certainly putting them in a bad position: Either cut Quade loose, or have a major run in with the ARU through defending him. No player should be able to dictate terms like that.

I still feel the ARU have handled this situation very badly, but in this situation they are the lesser of two evils. What shits me the most is that the Reds have been taken for a ride here. I am REDS fan, not a fan of a guy that happens to play for my team. Above all else I support my team. I do not take kindly to people that fuck the team over. For all of his professed love of the Reds, Quade has shown them the utmost of contempt.

/rant over

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He can't do anything no problems at all.
Why would QC (Quade Cooper) be happy to earn zero from the ARU?
He could have done that today, but has refused point blank to do anything with the ARU to date.
I think the sticking point with the ARU, and this is mere speculation, is that to date his Reds contract relies on an ARU top up. The ARU won't budge on boxing and/or overseas rugby sabaticals and Quade won't sign without these conditions, hence the stalemate. If he agrees to terms with the QRU that allow his boxing or whatever then they can sign a new contract that does not involve an ARU top up and it's all rosey!

What he has refused point blank to do is sign with the ARU without the ability to box etc. Just as the ARU have refused point blank to offer a contract that allows this.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Anyone think he is serious about boxing, or is he just being used as a marketing tool to drag the punters in to the $BW fight?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I still feel the ARU have handled this situation very badly,
I actually think the Reds have also handled this very badly. They've been too trusting of Quade (and so have I).

If I were the Reds, I'd start looking for a marque No. 10 flyhalf. Who is on the market they could approach?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Michalek - Bit old but did OK in Paris recently.

Has played Super 15 previously.

Hated by The Darkness for RWC 2007.

The Reds should also be getting young Lane back from Tahland. Could be a nice career move for him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Look up their RUPA agreement, the reason for it is to get the downtime
I'm not really interested in looking up RUPA agreements but I'm sure there is a section on downtime so I'll believe you on that one. I think my point was pretty obvious though. It would be rough for the ARU to say no to requests like that on the basis that the players might be worked too hard.

You think the players are overworked,and your solution is to allow them a part time job in their holiday?
Or is the suggestion the ARU should reduce the workload(and their revenues) to allow these well paid players more time to pursue other money making ventures?

I never said that they were overworked, that was fatprop 's post. As stated just above I was pointing out the folly of arguing that the ARU might object to these types of activities on the basis that the players needed their rest. The dig about ARU revenue's suffering if they didn't play as many tests (Spring Tour 2011 presumably) is an argument for a different thread probably.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyone think he is serious about boxing, or is he just being used as a marketing tool to drag the punters in to the $BW fight?

SBW is fighting the White Buffalo, Frans Botha. Botha has fought Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield. I thought wow, SBW is finally taking on a serious challenger. Here is Botha:

Botha.Francois.jpg

sorry that was Botha 12 years ago.

This is how he looks now.

FrancescoPianeta-FrancoisBotha-EP300NF2.jpg

SBW said the one thing he (SBW) has over Botha is that he is younger. Really? He's a sharp one that Sonny.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok.

I sat on the sidelines here for quite some time, quietly hoping that this was a non issue and was indeed a bit of bluff from both sides. Not anymore.

I like Quade as a player, I think he brings a hell of a lot to any team he plays for. But I believe what he is pulling here is nothing but childish. A sabbatical written into your contract must be earned. Looking at the precedent set across the ditch, look at the players that have been afforded a sabbatical.. 2 of the best to ever pull on an AB jersey.

This whole boxing gig is total bullshit. Khoder is manipulating a very impressionable young man. If Quade is going to come out and say his major love is rugby, then why the hell is he pulling this boxing bullshit? He never even hinted at boxing until recently. And for all of his expressed love for the Reds, he is most certainly putting them in a bad position: Either cut Quade loose, or have a major run in with the ARU through defending him. No player should be able to dictate terms like that.

I still feel the ARU have handled this situation very badly, but in this situation they are the lesser of two evils. What shits me the most is that the Reds have been taken for a ride here. I am REDS fan, not a fan of a guy that happens to play for my team. Above all else I support my team. I do not take kindly to people that fuck the team over. For all of his professed love of the Reds, Quade has shown them the utmost of contempt.

/rant over

Well said.

You can't run a rugby team/club around one player, no matter how good that player might (or might not) be. Surely after not having QC (Quade Cooper) for half of 2012, the Reds aren't in a position where they have no other viable option/s at 5/8 in 2013.

Any Reds supporters out there who know what the strength is a 5/8 in Qld? There's a lot of good rugby played in Brisbane and in regional areas, surely there are some young blokes with talent who could step up.

Australia needs Qld to be strong.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
SBW is fighting the White Buffalo, Frans Botha. Botha has fought Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield. I thought wow, SBW is finally taking on a serious challenger. Here is Botha:

Botha.Francois.jpg

sorry that was Botha 12 years ago.

This is how he looks now.

FrancescoPianeta-FrancoisBotha-EP300NF2.jpg

SBW said the one thing he (SBW) has over Botha is that he is younger. Really? He's a sharp one that Sonny.
It's been 12 very tough years, by the look of things.
Edit: Maybe SBW should take on Hopoate next. My recollection is that Hoppa was disqualified last time out for refusing to punch.That should be safe enough,with those gloves Hoppa can't do what he does best either.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's been 12 very tough years, by the look of things.
Edit: Maybe SBW should take on Hopoate next. My recollection is that Hoppa was disqualified last time out for refusing to punch.That should be safe enough,with those gloves Hoppa can't do what he does best either.

Please please please let the buffalo just land one lucky punch.

Please please please.

:D

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just watched the clip from Fox Sports.

These guys are f**kn jokes. I'm a SBW fan but seeing him there backing this bullshit pissed me off. They talk about how the ARU values Quade.....I wish a jour no asked how much does QC (Quade Cooper) value rugby? The Reds?

He needs to dump Khoder and somehow get the late Bernie Mac as a manager.......these kids gots to learns!!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It looks like QC (Quade Cooper)'s relationship with the ARU is not working its way out :(

To me, it looks like he will probably box, then play for the reds and then try for a contract in Europe for the big money.

That would effectively make his reds season a showcase for "the big contract" over there. That's some serious motivation right there.

I think he is going to have a stellar season.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It looks like QC (Quade Cooper)'s relationship with the ARU is not working its way out :(

To me, it looks like he will probably box, then play for the reds and then try for a contract in Europe for the big money.

That would effectively make his reds season a showcase for "the big contract" over there. That's some serious motivation right there.

I think he is going to have a stellar season.
Quade refers to how he has the contract with the Reds and is training with them until December, but unless Carmichael and McCall somehow pressure the ARU into letting him play for the Reds only, Quade won't play.

But my view on this is that Quade looks to be biding his time until Deans is ousted; I only speculate because he said he still loved rugby, when he could've said he wanted nothing more to do with the sport and was happy to go box or play league.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Quade refers to how he has the contract with the Reds and is training with them until December, but unless Carmichael and McCall somehow pressure the ARU into letting him play for the Reds only, Quade won't play.

But my view on this is that Quade looks to be biding his time until Deans is ousted; I only speculate because he said he still loved rugby, when he could've said he wanted nothing more to do with the sport and was happy to go box or play league.

He still has the 3 match and $20,000 suspended parts of his sentence in play. Give him some credit, the ARU would have been watching very closely and 20k is a lot of $$$ bro. If the contract lapses and he comes back what comes of these suspended punishments? What if he only signs a QRU contract? Might be interesting to watch his twitter account on Jan 1st to see if the slurs start flying.

IF he wants a contract with the Reds after all this i doubt the ARU will say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.