• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Circus appears to have extended their stay in town.

If the Circus is not going to leave town, especially when everyone has seen the show more than once, they are in danger of overstaying their welcome.

There will probably be lots of people "interested" in seeing how QC (Quade Cooper) goes in the ring for Novelty purposes only.

Like the macarena, Chicken dance, Billy Ray Cyrus, Flares, Body Shirts, Mullets, "Choose Life" T Shirts, the novelty value will wear off rather soon.

T

TOCC

I don't have much issue with sabbaticals per se, but boxing is a sport where the other guy is doing his best to injure you. It is hard to square that with a stint in boxing not adversely affecting a player. They may be lucky and come through unscathed but the odds are against it.

Plus, NZ offered sabbaticals for top players like Carter and McCaw. Is Quade nearly as valuable? If his form over the last year were better and he had not stupidly said he would knock back a Wallaby jersey the myabe, but certainly not now.

If allowing a player to supplement his income through other means can comparatively lower what the governing union has to pay then it makes a lot of sense especially given the ARU's falling revenue. Yes there is always a chance a player may get injured, but these are some of the things they need to weigh up, it could also be argued that allowing players to partake in such ventures will only rise their marketing power and subsequent value to the team.

I will never begrudge a player who chases money, i've done it in the past and my career is likely to last a lot longer then that of a professional sportsmen.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have heard that Danny Green isnt happy about QC (Quade Cooper) having a go at Boxing as it makes boxing look like a joke. maybe he could offer to be his sparing partner for a few rounds then see if he still wants to keep boxing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have heard that Danny Green isnt happy about QC (Quade Cooper) having a go at Boxing as it makes boxing look like a joke. maybe he could offer to be his sparing partner for a few rounds then see if he still wants to keep boxing.

Danny Green should just call it for what it is and say that a couple of celebrity sportsmen getting in the ring isn't boxing and is just a show put on to make money.

For all intents and purposes, they could be spruiking a performance of Guys and Dolls starring Cooper and Steffensen (I just don't think that would attract the intended crowd).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So as it stands, the ARU will not ratify a contract between the reds and Cooper that allows for Cooper to box and play for the reds.

Quade will train with the reds for another month, then train with them on an invitational basis until the week before his fight. He will then fight some mug, add a few numerals to his bank account and sign a reds contract the day after the fight.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

I don't have an issue with the boxing. It's a "charity" fight. Bit like when celebs play in charity cricket games etc

Watching that interview, Cooper just doesn't seem a happy chap anymore. He's lost his confidence and happy go lucky attitude we used to see. Sad story really.

T

TOCC

How does the revenue stream work with boxing...

Boxers earn a percentage of the broadcast/pay-tv sales and do they also earn a percent of the bets/takings?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
thought he already had signed a Reds contract.If you don't sign a ARU contract,you are not eligible to play super rugby--is that correct?

T

TOCC

the ARU needs to sign off on every super rugby player contract, regardless of whether they are earning a ARU Top-up or not..

i.e. Quade cant play with the Reds without the ARU approving his contract.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I wish we had more Wallabies wanting to take sabbaticals to study at Cambridge rather than to become professional boxers.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there really that much money left in Boxing any more? Especially a boxing match within Australian, between two nobodies?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
His current reds contract runs out on Dec 31st so he will train with them untill then, after that he will start training for the fight on the 8th Feb once this is finished he will re-sign with the Reds and the ARU for the start of the season. its all about money the ARU would not let him box so he found away for it to happen. My thoughts anyway.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
the ARU needs to sign off on every super rugby player contract, regardless of whether they are earning a ARU Top-up or not..

i.e. Quade cant play with the Reds without the ARU approving his contract.
Or more to the point Quade doesn't have to play for the Reds unless he agrees to an ARU contract.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
This Saga has more twists and turns than the Bells Line of Road.

There is a much quicker and safer route across the Blue Mountains out of Sydney, but Team QC (Quade Cooper) seem hell bent on travelling the alternate route.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How does the revenue stream work with boxing.

Boxers earn a percentage of the broadcast/pay-tv sales and do they also earn a percent of the bets/takings?
On a case by case.
Fighters in a strong bargaining position can demand a share of the gate and pay TV.
If they are fighting for opportunity, then they will settle for a set amount.
The big issue here, is that Nasser is limited to 6 -10% of Football earnings.However, he is the promoter of these fights and absorbs most of the risk and is rewarded with most of the profits.
I would be surprised if he does not earn more than his fighters, given he negotiates with himself on behalf of his fighters if you know what I mean.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Or more to the point Quade doesn't have to play for the Reds unless he agrees to an ARU contract.

His fight is before the season starts anyway.

I can't see quade not playing for the reds next year. It is too late for an NRL deal, the japanese season will pretty much be over by the time he has had his fight and even if he went to france it would only be half a season at best.

I reckon he'll play super rugby and if he gets picked for the wallabies he gets picked, if not I reckon he will turn out for the barbarians, depending on the timing SBW might be playing outside him that game, which is something I would pay to watch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Excuse my ignorance, but is there really that much money left in Boxing any more? Especially a boxing match within Australian, between two nobodies?

I think there is money to be made when there is a celebrity involved which is the entire purpose of this sort of fight.

Even at World Champion level (bare in mind there are three different world titles) there isn't a lot of money unless there are strong boxers in the weight class and they have big names. There was a world title fight as the undercard of the recent Danny Green fight. Neither boxer were overly famous and I doubt they would be making millions.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
His fight is before the season starts anyway.

I can't see quade not playing for the reds next year. It is too late for an NRL deal, the japanese season will pretty much be over by the time he has had his fight and even if he went to france it would only be half a season at best.

I reckon he'll play super rugby and if he gets picked for the wallabies he gets picked, if not I reckon he will turn out for the barbarians, depending on the timing SBW might be playing outside him that game, which is something I would pay to watch.
I would like to put money on QC (Quade Cooper) going to Europe.I'm calling no chance of Quade playing with the Reds in 2013

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
So where does this leave the Reds in all of this?
do they continue as if Cooper will play,or do they look for another 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.