• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
looks like Cooper is going ahead with the boxing farce. Where's the emoticon for shaking my head with disappointment.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/cooper-sbw-expected-to-reveal-all-20121125-2a1lw.html

This bit is interesting from a RL journo

Cooper also feels the decision to impose a record $60,000 fine ($20,000 of which was suspended) and a suspended three-match ban for criticising the mood in the Wallabies camp and the state of the game was an attempt by the ARU hierarchy to put the outsider with a rugby league background back in his place.

What had RL got to do with it?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael held in-depth discussions with Cooper over lunch in Brisbane yesterday. After the lunch, Carmichael said discussions were "moving forward", despite reports Cooper had quit rugby.

The ARU and the Reds will not formally allow Cooper to box, so he will let his current contract run out on December 31 and likely re-sign once his boxing commitments are finished.

He will 'likely' re-sign? That must be assuring for Reds fans. So was this about the ARU contract or did he just want to box all along or did the insulting contract force him to go and find more money?
Oh well we'll just have wait until 31st December to find out. You'd presume there would be more contract discussions. How exciting, 6 more weeks of negotiation leaks in the media and at the end he may sign. Can Christmas get any better?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...lliams-undercard/story-fn8ouw0e-1226523818537

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The entire article is a piece of pro-Quade propaganda...

Yet the Daily Telegraph article posted the other day was a balanced view according to many. Equally vague and scant on quoted sources. It was a piece of anti-Quade propaganda. There are next to no facts available to us at the moment so it's all bloody propaganda or just empty rubbish.

This thread has degenerated to the point where people are shooting anything that moves and, if you're lucky, asking questions later.
KB (Kurtley Beale) was a 5/8 all through school and for the first few years of his s 15 career: in fact he and QC (Quade Cooper) shared the 5/8 position in the Australian Schools team.
So he, being the incumbent 10, is actually a converted 5/8 when he plays 15.

Yeah I'm aware KB (Kurtley Beale) played 10 through school etc and calling him a converted fullback is not quite accurate. In saying that though, I do think he is a fullback and not a 5/8 now regardless of where he played though his formative years. I think my point is still valid though. We have very limited options at 5/8 and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Extending on from p.Tah's post above, Fox Sports are covering the press conference with live video on their website at 1pm apparently.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Been thinking about the whole boxing thing, at first it sounds insane and just a Nasser driven money grab, but really is it that far fetched?

What's a good boxer need?

1) Speed
2) fast reflexes
3) stamina

Quade has them in spades.

4) Power? not so sure.
5) Killer instinct? :oops:... Will be interesting.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Been thinking about the whole boxing thing, at first it sounds insane and just a Nasser driven money grab, but really is it that far fetched?

What's a good boxer need?

1) Speed
2) fast reflexes
3) stamina

Quade has them in spades.

4) Power? not so sure.
5) Killer instinct? :oops:. Will be interesting.

You forgot the most important thing.

Dealing with getting hit.

Most people just don't like it.

You can look like a pro sparring and hopping around. Get hit in the face and ribs a couple of times and for most people that will remind them that they are not a fighter.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Point taken IITW, if I am going to criticise others for their posts I should at least maintain my own standards. I apologise for the sweeping generalisation.

I will try to list my grievences in a more coherent manner.

RDs reappoint before the RWC with no due process, ratified by the board with no explanation.

The "review" of our RWC performance (still secret) performed by a non indepentdent panel.

Our contracting system for senior (sorry all S15) players which results in some of best players (eg Will Genia, David Pocock, Quade Cooper) having serious misgivings and not signing contracts for up to seven months.

The lack of KPIs applied to people in senior positions - Nucifora, Deans. JON.

The expectation that the administration of our game should be run as a business, but they do so without any form of objective critique (see above).

The allegations of payment rorts still not addressed (how long has it been now?).

The feeling of the grassroots that the focus on the top tier is to the detriment of the game.

The overwhelming opinion on this forum is that the Wobs are underperforming and have been for a considerable amount of time.

The fact the our national government (who a lot of posters hold up as a joke) is the one that is forcing change in the way our game is administered (at long last).

I will ask a simple question (pehaps this should be a poll of GAGR members), who is happy with the current stae of Australian Rugby?

My "petty men" statement was wrong. Let's just say that I do not believe that the board of the ARU as it now stands are doing what is necessary to develop our game the way it should be.
Lot of words, not much substance.
Can you point out the bits that supports your contention that ALL the board members are petty men,concerned only about their social standing?
BTW the bit about why Genia & Pocock have not re signed was particularly entertaining.
You have progressed from generalisations, to just making things up.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)

You can look like a pro sparring and hopping around. Get hit in the face and ribs a couple of times and for most people that will remind them that they are not a fighter.

I'd lump that in with killer instinct, which really should be #1 on the list. But yeah, you're right.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade certainly has a lot of "passion" and "love" for the Reds........ but nothing for the Wallabies?

Was funny to watch Nasser quickly shut him down before he could say he felt insulted by the ARU offer.

Anyways, it's just more bullshit that's going to see this matter continue for another few months.......

D

daz

Well said, Blue.

But it is not just any old hit. It's the difference between being swiped by your sparring partner (or even a few non-professional "punches" in a bar brawl) and being hit by someone who knows how, like, I dunno, say, Danny Green.

That latter type of punch would put 98% of the male population into the foetal position for a few days.

For someone who avoids tackle contact, it bodes not at all well for the young man.

Good luck with that, QC (Quade Cooper)! :D

T

TOCC

why? to officially drive him out of the game?

Let the players earn extra cash, the ARU needs to get realistic about its fiscal position and start allowing some players to take sabbaticals overseas and careers in Boxing, Golf, surfing or whatever other career they may want, as long as it comes with the proviso that the fights or careers dont adversely effect the Wallabies or relevant Super Rugby players..

The NZRU has done it with Carter and SBW, SARU have made allowances in the past for players who are in Europe.. The ARU cant keep it's head in the sand.. I would rather have a Wallaby take a sabbatical/boxing career then lose them to the game forever.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well said, Blue.

But it is not just any old hit. It's the difference between being swiped by your sparring partner (or even a few non-professional "punches" in a bar brawl) and being hit by someone who knows how, like, I dunno, say, Danny Green.

That latter type of punch would put 98% of the male population into the foetal position for a few days.

For someone who avoids tackle contact, it bodes not at all well for the young man.

Good luck with that, QC (Quade Cooper)! :D
YOU THINK HE IS EVER GOING TO GET IN THE RING WITH SOMEONE WHO MIGHT PUNCH HIM HARD?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
This whole fiasco has pissed me off no end. I'm at the point now where I don't care how brilliant Quade Cooper can be, he has irked me beyond redemption. I couldn't care less if he never plays for the wallabies again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The whole purpose of that press conference was to further drive a wedge between the Reds and the ARU.

I hope the Reds don't fall for it, and the ARU respond firmly.

He's just not worth it.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Let the players earn extra cash, the ARU needs to get realistic about its fiscal position and start allowing some players to take sabbaticals overseas and careers in Boxing, Golf, surfing or whatever other career they may want, as long as it comes with the proviso that the fights or careers dont adversely effect the Wallabies or relevant Super Rugby players.

I don't have much issue with sabbaticals per se, but boxing is a sport where the other guy is doing his best to injure you. It is hard to square that with a stint in boxing not adversely affecting a player. They may be lucky and come through unscathed but the odds are against it.

Plus, NZ offered sabbaticals for top players like Carter and McCaw. Is Quade nearly as valuable? If his form over the last year were better and he had not stupidly said he would knock back a Wallaby jersey the myabe, but certainly not now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Oh man this has gone beyond the ridiculous.

Wanna be a hero? Then suck it up, take the offer, and prove to everyone that you have some substance. That will make you an absolute hero

Lots of people in this world have been hard done by and they didn't go boxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.