• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Seven months after signing with the Reds, Genia finalises his contract with ARU.

As long as the ARU can insist that players must play S15 and be available to play for the Wallabies, they can hard ball all they want. For someone like QC (Quade Cooper) it means choosing between an ARU contract of $700K or the Japanese/Europe plus boxing option for $2 million.

We all know that this is a massive restraint of trade and that eventually it will be challenged in a courtroom. My feeling is that the only reason that the ARU is coming down so hard on QC (Quade Cooper) is that he could be the protagonist for this change. Eventually rugby will be like soccer, basketball, baseball, water polo, hockey and track and field where Oz athletes compete in the world market and regroup for international competition.

The problem for the ARU is that they would have to compete on equal terms with other world leagues, and the success or failure of the local competitions would depend on their management skills.

No wonder they are so worried when it takes seven months to sign the world's best half back.
It's a selection policy and a requirement for the job - it doesnt restrict the player's ability to work where he wants. if he wants t go play in europe he can, but he will then fail to meet the selection requirements for the wallabies. it is not a restraint of trade at all. hence why it is so widely used in rugby - england, ireland, south africa, wales, nz and aus.

it's similar to companies requiring that all applicants be australian residents or have a valid driver's license.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who cares?

A lot of people did........or do, but if Quade uses Mondays unnecessary press conference to big note himself, tear strips off rugby in Australia and/or to promote his own immediate agenda by plugging his upcoming bout then it will only backfire and do more damage to his already tarnished reputation.

All he had to do was say 'nay' or 'yay' to the ARU a week or so ago.
I am over him and the whole situation, as many others are at this point.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I have supported Quade throughout this thread, but if he does announce he is going to box that's the end for me. If he genuinely wants to play for the Reds, I am behind him all the way and will forgive his performance thus far. I have taken his comments in good faith that he is committed to Rugby, but if he wants to go and be a mug..........fuck right off.

Come Monday, all will be revealed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
This quick money from boxing is incredibly short sighted. He could hang around and build his brand and exposure and end up with gigs after life as a pro rugby player with his clothing line, commentary and coaching will prob an option. If he does go and have a crack at boxing that is all out the window.

T

TOCC

i highly doubt boxing would be a fulltime commitment, he will do it in a similar fashion to SBW with fights spread across the season.. Japanese or European rugby will be the main commitment i imagine.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
This quick money from boxing is incredibly short sighted. He could hang around and build his brand and exposure and end up with gigs after life as a pro rugby player with his clothing line, commentary and coaching will prob an option. If he does go and have a crack at boxing that is all out the window.

Isn't every Reds member getting a QC (Quade Cooper) shirt for the 2013 season? If he leaves, might have to use mine as a cleaning rag.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
FROM THE POINT OF VIEW FROM THIS DIE HARD REDS FAN.

I want Quade to stay in rugby but I am sick and tired of all the bullshit. The amount of crap surrounding his contracts over the last few years is a little to much. Every time a deal has been done and the fans can relax with a bit of certainty the next round of bullshit over his next contract begins and the anxiety begins again for Reds fans. Don't even bother announcing a signing until the whole process has been completed including the ARU component.

I say this to all parties involved. DO NOT TAKE THE PASSION AND LOYALTY OF THE FANS FOR GRANTED.

As a payed up Reds member for the 2013 season I ask the Reds post my Quade shirt to the local Salvos shop where somebody in need of a shirt can get good use out of it. If it does not have the QLD Reds logo on it which I dearly love and support, I will not wear it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Saw someone say this on twitter thought it was apt; Quade never congratulates or wishes good luck to the Wallabies/his teammates when he's not playing on twitter. I know it sounds like a none issue but surely someone so conversed in the twitter-sphere would be all over various tweets about the Wallabies when a game is on? He probably doesn't even watch the game and just plays FIFA or something, I think it tells a lot about his passion for the Wallabies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's akin to saying I heard from a mate who heard second hand that someone saw Cooper roll through a stop sign. The man has no respect for society at all.

You're better than that Qwerty.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's akin to saying I heard from a mate who heard second hand that someone saw Cooper roll through a stop sign. The man has no respect for society at all.

You're better than that Qwerty.

Hey it was just an observation, I think it holds merits you regularly see the other non-23 Wallaby members tweet some stuff yet the national side never pops up a mention on his twitter, has plenty to say about other things but not his teammates?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Hey it was just an observation, I think it holds merits you regularly see the other non-23 Wallaby members tweet some stuff yet the national side never pops up a mention on his twitter, has plenty to say about other things but not his teammates?

Horwill, Pocock and the majority of players don't do that publicly either, do you think they don't have passion too? After his $60k fine and the media storm that's followed over the last week I would be saying as little as possible about rugby over twitter as well. Before this and when he was playing, Quade regularly sought out his opposition over twitter and congratulated them or thanked them for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.