• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Seven months after signing with the Reds, Genia finalises his contract with ARU.

As long as the ARU can insist that players must play S15 and be available to play for the Wallabies, they can hard ball all they want. For someone like QC (Quade Cooper) it means choosing between an ARU contract of $700K or the Japanese/Europe plus boxing option for $2 million.

We all know that this is a massive restraint of trade and that eventually it will be challenged in a courtroom. My feeling is that the only reason that the ARU is coming down so hard on QC (Quade Cooper) is that he could be the protagonist for this change. Eventually rugby will be like soccer, basketball, baseball, water polo, hockey and track and field where Oz athletes compete in the world market and regroup for international competition.

The problem for the ARU is that they would have to compete on equal terms with other world leagues, and the success or failure of the local competitions would depend on their management skills.

No wonder they are so worried when it takes seven months to sign the world's best half back.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The issue of poor, bordering on completely incompetent, management and governance unfortunately reoccurs on almost every thread. It's why the game is in such a dangerous and fragile position at the moment.

I am in complete agreement with Gnostic's first 5 points, although I have a different view on QC (Quade Cooper).

The fact is though with competent, procative administration, it would probably never have come to this.

I hate to keep coming back to the AFL, but compare the way they handled Israel Folau leaving (proactive, decisive, professional and win/win) to the way the ARU have handled this matter and before it Lote (reactive, indecisive, amateur and lose/lose). The contrast could not be more apparent.

Would a more "competent, proactive administration" have just torn up Cooper's offer?

While I strongly believe that the ARU needs an overhaul, this whole farce is Quade's doing.........

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Seven months after signing with the Reds, Genia finalises his contract with ARU.

As long as the ARU can insist that players must play S15 and be available to play for the Wallabies, they can hard ball all they want. For someone like QC (Quade Cooper) it means choosing between an ARU contract of $700K or the Japanese/Europe plus boxing option for $2 million.

We all know that this is a massive restraint of trade and that eventually it will be challenged in a courtroom. My feeling is that the only reason that the ARU is coming down so hard on QC (Quade Cooper) is that he could be the protagonist for this change. Eventually rugby will be like soccer, basketball, baseball, water polo, hockey and track and field where Oz athletes compete in the world market and regroup for international competition.

The problem for the ARU is that they would have to compete on equal terms with other world leagues, and the success or failure of the local competitions would depend on their management skills.

No wonder they are so worried when it takes seven months to sign the world's best half back.

How can it be a restraint of trade (let alone a massive one) when it governs the period when the person is employed?

T

TOCC

The NRL and AFL regularly re-sign players/authorize the contract of players who have brought the game into disrepute.... Yet they seem to be doing pretty well at attracting fans and broadcast offers....

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
How does that disown Quade? He's from Tokoroa originally, and his love of twitter makes for some nice alliteration. Not sure how that is 'divisive', and think you may be reading a bit too much into it.

Don't worry baabaa according to Stephen Jones (the journalist) Tokoroa is an island nation that the All Blacks pillaged Keven Mealamu, so he's not "ours" :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

It's not even in the same postcode as restraint of trade. All it is, is a selection policy - an incentive based program.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The NRL and AFL regularly re-sign players/authorize the contract of players who have brought the game into disrepute.. Yet they seem to be doing pretty well at attracting fans and broadcast offers..

I don't think any of their players have been this openly petulant during a negotiation process.......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So you continue to do business whilst on holiday? I don't, I go on a holiday to have a break from it all. Come back refreshed with a clear mind. I think it's a fair call for QC (Quade Cooper) to not deal with it till he's finished his annual leave... if, indeed that is the case.

Do you organise photo ops with the media while on vacation?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think any of their players have been this openly petulant during a negotiation process...

I can see both sides. Carney has been in more than his share of trouble but has been supported and won a Dally M.

On the other hand if he had come out and said the Blues camp was toxic and wouldn't play if selected or with a certain coach, i think he would have been told very quickly what they thought of it.

Contracting is completely different though so these comparisons aren't exactly like for like.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Carney was also booted out of the NRL for a couple of years.........

Off-field misbehaviour continued to plague Carney's playing career and, on 20 July 2008, it was alleged he urinated on a man at a Canberra nightclub. The man had to undertake counseling to overcome the trauma of the incident.[9] Carney was suspended from participating in league matches and training while the allegations were investigated. The complaint was withdrawn two days later but Carney remained suspended for the round 21 match against the Gold Coast Titans.[10] The nightclub allegations sparked renewed interest in Carney's 2007 negligent driving charges when Steve Irwin claimed that Carney was intoxicated whilst driving at the time of the 2007 incident but he had been pressured by the club to remain quiet in an attempt to avoid a jail sentence for Carney.[11] The incident led to the club imposing an ultimatum on Carney which included a five point plan, whereby Carney would have to stand down from training and matches for the rest of the season; go on an alcohol ban until the end of 2012; undergo counselling; complete a community service program; and pay a $20,000 fine. The NRL threatened to de-register his contract for two years if Carney did not accept this plan in order to protect the Raiders from losing him to another club.[12] Carney asked for a variation of the plan where he could avoid points one and two. This was unacceptable to the club board.

On 7 August 2008, the Canberra club sacked Carney and terminated his $400,000 a season contract. Carney was de-registered by the NRL and would not be eligible to compete in the competition until 2010.[13][14]

Carney attempted to follow ex-Dragon's coach Nathan Brown to Huddersfield on a one-year deal, but was unable to obtain a visa in late 2008 due to the drink driving offences.[15][16]

Carney applied to the NRL in an effort to play for an Australian club in the 2009 season but in January the NRL stated that they would not accept registration of a contract for Todd Carney for that season.[16] In February 2009, Carney went on a vandalism spree in Goulburn, jumping on a car bonnet and damaging the entrance to a Fone Zone store. He received a 12-month suspended jail sentence, and was ordered to undertake alcohol counselling.[17]

In March 2009, the Canberra Raiders agreed to release Carney to play for the Atherton Roosters in the Cairns competition, in Far North Queensland.[18]

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cooper should have Genia's Manger. Good to hear today Genia is happy with the Reds and Wallabies and had signed until next World Cup..
Im over cooper at the moment,

Have my old boys Rugby Lunch next week and we get some good speakers that have been in the game for both Super Rugby and the Wallabies. Im sure there will be a few Questions raised about this bloke.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Would a more "competent, proactive administration" have just torn up Cooper's offer?

While I strongly believe that the ARU needs an overhaul, this whole farce is Quade's doing...

As I said, I disagree with Gnostic on QC (Quade Cooper) and believe that with his manager, he is responsible for his own position.

A competent and proactive administration would not have let the whole contract negotiation process go on for months. You make an offer, there is room for negotiation, but at some point there is a take it or leave it conversation. At least that way, even if the player rejects the offer and goes somewhere else, the ARU looks like it has a coherent player contracting process and looks like a professional sporting organisation. At the moment it appears to be neither (see also the Genia process).

M

Muttonbird

Im over cooper at the moment,

Have my old boys Rugby Lunch next week and we get some good speakers that have been in the game for both Super Rugby and the Wallabies. Im sure there will be a few Questions raised about this bloke.
Good for you. It is so hardcore when Queensland men and rugby men question QC (Quade Cooper)'s behavior. What should be his biggest supporter base feels betrayed. His agent is poisonous.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^ Most of that article is pretty sensational. They would have you believe that we now have excellent depth at 10 where in reality we have a converted fullback, two utility backs and a guy who's not yet played a test. That whole argument is rubbish.
This thread has degenerated to the point where people are shooting anything that moves and, if you're lucky, asking questions later.
KB (Kurtley Beale) was a 5/8 all through school and for the first few years of his s 15 career: in fact he and QC (Quade Cooper) shared the 5/8 position in the Australian Schools team.
So he, being the incumbent 10, is actually a converted 5/8 when he plays 15.
ChargerWA "the minute ..."? It's been a year! Surely I don't need to list the indiscretions and poor form he's engaged in during that year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Beale is now the best 10 in Australia in the recent (post Bernie) era on the back of this and Cooper can be discarded by the ARU. Most reasonable analysts of the game know this for the bullshit it is, but we have a sycophantic media more interested in maintaining their contact/access and breaking news privileges than really looking at the causes of the behaviour.

As an aside I have often wondered if people are more prone to injury and illness when they are depressed and/or under stress. This could be an explanation of the inordinate injury tolls suffered by the Waratahs and Wallabies as both were under duress and unhappy as their fans criticise them, yet other sides which don't have these additional burdens don't suffer the same injury load.

Great post.
I don't think there can be a causal relationship between the ARUs indifference to re-signing Cooper and any thought that KB (Kurtley Beale) is our saviour at 10 because the "derisory offer" (which everyone seems to have forgotten Nucifora has denied it is) was made well before KB (Kurtley Beale) did anything to indicate he could be a solution.
I don't think there's any real doubt that injuries/illness occur more readily in the circumstances you mention.

T

TOCC

The NRL's position or stance on such issues is highlighted by the way they have welcomed back SBW.. This is the same guy who literally walked out on a NRL contract and went overseas to a more lucrative one.

Now he is going to be used in their 2013 advertising campaign... Probably going to attract higher ratings in that match then what the Aussie super rugby conference generates in one round... Oh well, at least rugby union has retained its elitist aura..

Status
Not open for further replies.