• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
However I will happily watch him box. thats one beat up on Quade I'll could get to enjoy. plenty of corners in boxing for him to back himself into.

Might be 4 corners to back into but you can't hide In ring. Trust me I've tried. Bit like his life at the Moment, (cooper) fighting someone who fights back harder. (ARU) he will score a unknown boxer just like his boyfriends do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
from Jim Tucker's piece

Those eyes include those at the Australian Rugby Union, who want him to take a pay cut. Cooper would still be sailing towards $500,000-plus in 2013 if he'd signed for two years in May last year.
He rolled the dice and lost, but he's good enough to bounce back if he accepts a bit of adversity.

The five-month saga of his contract talks is a joke. The Australian Rugby Union is notorious for letting talks linger, but Cooper's ambit contract variations were hardly normal.

He wanted a "sabbatical" to play rugby in Japan like his mate Sonny Bill. He wanted to have a clause inserted in his contract to box, like SBW.

Both were fanciful requests, even if the guy was playing at his mercurial peak.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/glory-days-fade-for-quade-so-does-bargaining-power/story-e6frf4pu-1226520056220#ixzz2ClOK4uNv

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Despite all the energy on both sides of the argument I think that most people will honestly feel deprived that they won't get the chance to see if he could have come back from his injuries and RWC disappointment to become a great player.
The guy could do some amazing things (on the field) and as rugby battles to be entertaining the intrigue around his comeback will be missed.
Something that seems to have been overlooked is just how popular Cooper is with kids.
Kids are simple in their approach, they watch rugby, like a particular player and become more interested in that individual than the team.
Funnily enough kids don't read the papers either.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Why is he not worth as much now as he was when the ARU made their first offer?

What do you think he's worth?

$13K for every Test you play isn't enough?? On top of apparently $400K from the Reds?

He's not worth as much because he's proven to be a risky investment. The man went on TV and talked shit about his employer before he'd even secured any deal with them. Yes, he's been punished but that doesn't automatically mean he's still worth the same money as he was prior to the crap he pulled.

If my son takes my car out one morning and trashes it on purpose, he'll get home and get punished probably with a kick up the arse and no allowance or something. But I don't just throw him the keys again that night and tell him to have a good time do I? No...he has to earn that trust back again.

QCs value or liability to the ARU is more than just what happens on the field.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
When was the last time he had a good game at Test level?

Trying to think when there was a good game at test level for wallbies in past few years,before I answer when coopers had is best game.
i will get back to answer your post. Might be awhile. At This stage I'm going back to a Italy game years back.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I don't recall Barnes or Beale throwing one intercept this year. I barely even remember forward passes or one charge down. They don't miss tackles either.

Selective memory? Must have forgotten how Beale got stood up by Dagg in the first Bledisloe. Too long ago? Well there's the time he didn't even touch Michalak in a game in Paris. You must have also forgotten how Beale kicked the ball dead from a kick off on the weekend to.

All players make mistakes, all players miss tackles. To say otherwise is stupid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The pass mark for many in Gaggerland for our Coach seems to be his performance/resilts against The Darkness.

Surely then, the performance/ability/contractual worth of our stars should also be measured in terms of their performances against the Darkness?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Selective memory? Must have forgotten how Beale got stood up by Dagg in the first Bledisloe. Too long ago? Well there's the time he didn't even touch Michalak in a game in Paris. You must have also forgotten how Beale kicked the ball dead from a kick off on the weekend to.

All players make mistakes, all players miss tackles. To say otherwise is stupid.

At 15, those mistakes weren't under pressure either. Also a one off game. There's a pattern to Quade's mistakes, his mentality isn't up to Test level - he thinks he can do it all and doesn't reign it in.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

If only Kurtley could tackle like Quade!
If we are going to list career tackling low points, poor old Quade would be shamed.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Pfft. Quade's form has been down but you can't argue that he's no good at Test level. He's had good games an bad games. The bad games have been more recent = form slump.
Pardon Recent.. the guy hasn't had a good test match in well over a year... Quade is the most talked up player in Australian Rugby history please give it a rest... he is ROCKS or DIAMONDS at best... mostly fields of rocks... Genia made the guy look better than he was... And I mean was...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
When was the last time he had a good game at Test level?

When was the last time that Lealiifano had a good game at test level at 10?
When was the last time that J'OC had a good game at test level at 10?
When has Beale strung more than one good game at test level at 10 in a row?
Then there's Barnes, who has shown he is less of an option at 10 than Cooper.

Yet people are saying these guys are our future at 10 at test level and Cooper is not.

Yes, we know you hate Cooper. I politely suggest you look past your bias for once. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that won't say that Cooper hasn't been a complete goose and screwed up.

On the flip side, I, for one, can't see how anyone can't see it's the ARU basically saying "screw you" to Quade after fining him $40k, plus $20k and 3 games suspended. The biggest cheer leaders for the reduced contract are the guys here who hate Cooper, which should tell you something. Meanwhile, it seems the Reds management agree the ARU punishing or forcing out Quade with the rookie contract offer.

Regarding Cooper saying it's not about the money: I have heard many people in my industry in Australia say that (I'm in an industry that is paid a lot less here than in the States, for example), but if their employer cut their pay, you can bet they'd piss off to a rival company, or join the finance industry, or go overseas.

You see, people can accept less than what others get in a different industry or overseas. But pay them less than the other people in their business, or gyp them on a bonus because they say it's not about the money, and the feel undervalues and insulted. Then just watch them leave.

Now, Cooper could have been exaggerating about it not being about the money, and likely he was. But it's not a strong argument at all.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Beale has not had a good game at 10 for the wallabies yet.

To be fair to him though he has been poorly serviced by his number 9. ABP

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
Last good game at test level? I do recall him putting guys in holes for tries/near tries in his 3 tests this year which is what he is there for, Kurtley has done this once(off a set move).I agree with the comment that Kurtley looks much better in space, get him back to FB.

Quades test form 'slump' coincided with super coaches decision to stick 2 non ball playing-stepping-kicking centres next to him in 2011. Fairly easy for the defence to target him and shut down any semblance of attack,no threat at all next to him. He copped all the blame , no wonder he got the shits!

Shame we won't get to see him play for Australia next to Taps.

I totally agree his behaviour has brought this all on but nonetheless it is a great loss to Rugby, he put bums on seats,sparked conversation and kids loved him.

He will brain it in League.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale has not had a good game at 10 for the wallabies yet.

To be fair to him though he has been poorly serviced by his number 9. ABP

I thought his game on the weekend was his best at 5/8. The week before he tried to do too much himself and was easy for the Frogs to pick off. He also missed a lot of tackles.
Against the soap dodgers he had Taps and a lot of front foot ball. His defence was monumental. I watched the game again last night and he was taking down everything that moved in the light puce jersey and created all sorts of problems for the defence. His kicking game was also much better. Cannot wait to see him play outside Genia.
It would be best for the Wallabies if they could have QC (Quade Cooper) and Beale available.

Status
Not open for further replies.