• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Quade is taking the loss pretty hard.

At the airport waiting for our chartered flight to Florence, Italy .. Can't wait to get there I hear it's amazing!

Me and ant chilling.. So looking fwd to a sleep on this flight! Anyone know a good place fir dinner i'n Florence??

And why does he write i'n?!? Aaargh. :angryfire:

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Quade is taking the loss pretty hard.

Scarf. Astutely, and IMO, rightly noted, negatively so. Something is quite wrong with this team's internal management and guidance to its players. Not strongly suggesting to them that these sort of global tweets are just bad judgement and poor PR for the Wallabies after a shocking loss today that contained nor displayed any skill, reflects badly on our Wallaby brand, let alone the players concerned. Just STFU for 48 hrs for God's sake. Or perhaps a 'sorry' to the fans if something must be tweeted.

I consider the same applies to all the tweeting from them today re: photos of super-cold Wallabies players post the game in the sheds today, it reeked of soft-bellied-sympathy-hunting and subtle setting-up-of-excuses-making.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I keep saying...

He's being paid $600K-odd for what? 1 year worth of work?? What does he care?

Whether he learns how to tackle or not, if his offensive game keeps getting talked up like it's the most amazing thing rugby has ever seen, he'll pick up a pretty decent contract somewhere in the world after the RWC.

I'd drop him now, put KB (Kurtley Beale) in (yes, I know I'm repeating myself) and show him that he's not the be-all and end-all of the Wallaby attack.

But that's just me.....

No-one is bigger than the game or bigger than the team.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That still leaves the issue of who to play at fullback. I see no stand up candidates who have the same toolset as KB (Kurtley Beale) in the current touring squad.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I keep saying...

He's being paid $600K-odd for what? 1 year worth of work?? What does he care?

Whether he learns how to tackle or not, if his offensive game keeps getting talked up like it's the most amazing thing rugby has ever seen, he'll pick up a pretty decent contract somewhere in the world after the RWC.

I'd drop him now, put KB (Kurtley Beale) in (yes, I know I'm repeating myself) and show him that he's not the be-all and end-all of the Wallaby attack.

But that's just me.....

No-one is bigger than the game or bigger than the team.

In what sense is Quade being touted as (or acting like) bigger or better than the team?

This place seems have gone into hyperdrive, erm, I mean hyperbole, lately. People doesn't like a selection and the very fabric of spacetime is at risk.

Sorry Cap'n, QC (Quade Cooper) misssed a tackle, and NOW we're stuck in the Galaxian quadrant FOREVER!!!!

It's the end-times, I tell ya.::)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
That still leaves the issue of who to play at fullback. I see no stand up candidates who have the same toolset as KB (Kurtley Beale) in the current touring squad.

You don't have to have the same skill-set as KB (Kurtley Beale). I'd put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back there....he was pretty good.

If I had to pick between Cullen in his prime vs Muliaina in his...Cullen wins every time hands down. But Mils didn't have to bring the same skill-set that Cullen did to be a fantastic FB.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In what sense is Quade being touted as (or acting like) bigger or better than the team?

This place seems have gone into hyperdrive, erm, I mean hyperbole, lately. People doesn't like a selection and the very fabric of spacetime is at risk.

Sorry Cap'n, QC (Quade Cooper) misssed a tackle, and NOW we're stuck in the Galaxian quadrant FOREVER!!!!

It's the end-times, I tell ya.::)

If he just missed one tackle then yes - overreaction. But even his own coaches and team-mates seem to be getting tired of his seemingly lack of desire to complete his tackles. Just look at the stats.

Honestly, can you think of any other international player in the world who is targeted as much and misses as many tackles as QC (Quade Cooper)? He consistently sits about 50% maybe?

I'd have to make an effort to NOT tackle guys to even come close to that.

B

BRIX

Wish we had a spare Jaque Fourie or Conrad Smith in Australian Rugby. Hope Mitch Inman has a big season

Technique all wrong from QC (Quade Cooper). No-where near low enough, his legs are never wide apart neither making his center of gravity speed bump material

[video=youtube;KI9IcCnm9ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI9IcCnm9ds[/video]

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You don't have to have the same skill-set as KB (Kurtley Beale). I'd put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back there....he was pretty good.

Then who do we play at OC? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a solid fullback, but doesn't offer the attacking threat that KB (Kurtley Beale) does. Outside centre is a position where we are a little threadbare at present, with the other two candidates being injured.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Then who do we play at OC? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a solid fullback, but doesn't offer the attacking threat that KB (Kurtley Beale) does. Outside centre is a position where we are a little threadbare at present, with the other two candidates being injured.

Yeah...it's a bit desperate but I'd play Faiangaa there....he's pretty good defensively at with Beale, Gits, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and either Mitchell or Turner, you've got enough attack so to speak.... I'd be missing Mortlock A LOT right now if I was a Wallaby supporter.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ant springs to mind as well, but I'd want to have seen him in that position in a couple of tour matches before throwing him out there against France. Morts would be handy to stiffen up the defence and straighten the attack, no doubt about it. I just don't know if the old fella's got it in him any more, unfortunately.

Anyway, coulda, woulda, shoulda -- we just have to go with the guys available and make the best of it.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I attended an open training session before the Sydney Bled last year, and in the "free practice" bit where some did extra kicking etc, Quade and KB (Kurtley Beale) were made to practice defensive drills on one another.
It's clear to me that this issue has been recognised and addressed by the coaching staff a while back; KBs progressed, QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't.
Contrary to his usual Dingo lingo, I don't think Dingo could have been clearer with this statement - he's fucking fed up.
This is a clear example of - contrary to the mantra going on around here - how coaching can only go so far. These are adults, not an U13s, and they need to take responsibility at some stage.
The notion that Link and Deans have just ignored this for the past years is clearly wrong.

I agree - so it should be a case of "we've helped you, now help yourself...or you are benched"

Bringing Beale into 10 when the Wallabies are defending has many flaws:

- he isn't that amazing a defender
- he would not be at fullback to launch his amazing counter attacks
- the cause of the problem would not be addressed, although some of the symptoms would be moved

Great to see Robbie Deans talking straight on this issue

G

Goldenone

Here is a bit of left - field stuff !! When Matt taylor was in charge of things at TSS,his defence coach was a good fella called " Hurls" .Might i suggest that they get hold of "Hurls" and see if he can get QC (Quade Cooper) to tackle!!! As for who goes to fullback if KB (Kurtley Beale) goes to 5/8? What about Luke Morahan? Tons of pace and can tackle!!!
It is now obviuos that while David Pocock could protect QC (Quade Cooper) at Churchie ( and Daniel Braid doing the same thing for Qld),the boys are a bit bigger now and the poor bugger is too busy doing lots of other stuff.Could be time to go.Perhaps Parra League could have saved the ARU a big headache had they signed him.I don't think any other NRL clubs will be thumping on his door to get his signature.Could be a big loss to the game if he is lost to Rugby as he is quite a sublime player to watch in attck.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Given the improvement in defence by other players (specifically Beale, but I think that JOC (James O'Connor) has improved as well) I don't believe that there is an issue with the current defence coaches available to Cooper.
I think that given the variables, the constant is Cooper.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If he just missed one tackle then yes - overreaction. But even his own coaches and team-mates seem to be getting tired of his seemingly lack of desire to complete his tackles. Just look at the stats.

Honestly, can you think of any other international player in the world who is targeted as much and misses as many tackles as QC (Quade Cooper)? He consistently sits about 50% maybe?

I'd have to make an effort to NOT tackle guys to even come close to that.

All these things are true, but if continually missing tackles makes you "bigger than the game", then we have no purple prose left for the things that actually are.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Given the improvement in defence by other players (specifically Beale, but I think that JOC (James O'Connor) has improved as well) I don't believe that there is an issue with the current defence coaches available to Cooper.
I think that given the variables, the constant is Cooper.

Especially since there are some good tackling backs in the Wallabies (Barnes, Turner, Ant Finger, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia, Burgo etc.). Even if the coaches aren't addressing it in the right way, he could seek some help from other players who might speak his language a little more.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scarf. Astutely, and IMO, rightly noted, negatively so. Something is quite wrong with this team's internal management and guidance to its players. Not strongly suggesting to them that these sort of global tweets are just bad judgement and poor PR for the Wallabies after a shocking loss today that contained nor displayed any skill, reflects badly on our Wallaby brand, let alone the players concerned. Just STFU for 48 hrs for God's sake. Or perhaps a 'sorry' to the fans if something must be tweeted.

I consider the same applies to all the tweeting from them today re: photos of super-cold Wallabies players post the game in the sheds today, it reeked of soft-bellied-sympathy-hunting and subtle setting-up-of-excuses-making.

If Scarfy is talking about the loss that Quade was involved in, then it has well and truly been 48 hours.

Should we expect them to be in a state of depression for the whole week after a loss? When are they allowed to start enjoying themselves again and start looking towards the next game?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
All these things are true, but if continually missing tackles makes you "bigger than the game", then we have no purple prose left for the things that actually are.

Sorry Grouch...I don't even know what that last sentence means :)

Look, maybe it's a bit tough to say 'bigger than the game' and I have no 'proof' as such to back that up apart from what I perceive to be a poor attitude or maybe a 'taking for granted' would be a better term for the things that some would give a left testy for.

The way he kinda held the ARU to ransom after they backed him during the burgulary thing, his perceived lack of effort towards a fundemental of the game and then the tweets after the Munster game....nothing solid but just a feeling that he's young fella who mite need a quick attitude re-adjustment. I'm sure we've all had a couple in our time and as lomg as you learn and grow from them then it's no drama.

Just my perception from afar ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.