• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Apparently Michael Stolberg has moved to Canberra hoping to secure a Brumbies contract.

He will play club rugby in Canberra this year.

He will be a big loss for the Tigers as his form towards the end of last season was outstanding.

Let's hope that the Tigers have some new talent in the lock position as they may be without Blake Enever for much of the season as well if he gets a Reds bench spot.

To further complicate the issue is that long term back up in Lachlan Walker was expected to retire as a two time premiership player after last year's GF - Laughy we need you back for one more year.

We might need his 2 time premiership buddy Luke Bertini (#6) to shelve retirement plans as well.

Sam Fattal may be some of the answer but he too will be tied up with U20s commitments.

The lineout was a critical weapon for the tigers last year, so this will be a blow to the Tigers' Hospital Cup aspirations.

Just goes to show that being premiers doesn't give you a leg up for the following season - as all 9 clubs start in the same spot and with the same ultimate goal on 22 March.

Would you really want to be Pat Richards having to sort this out? He has some rebuilding to do to his pack but he is a master of bring youth into the mix and performing beyond expectation - eg 2013 Gunn & Placid, 2008 - Ritchie & Brabam. So 2014 who knows but it will be interesting to see what he does with Wilkin, He managed Gunn & Placid well last year by slowly introducing them to Premier grade as the year progressed.

Tigers fans don't lose faith - they will find a way and they will unveil tomorrow's heroes in due course.

Less than 60 days to kick off of QPR'14.

Thats a big loss. Butler and Stolberg, although I did hear a Canberra club approached Stolberg.
I also thought Bertini was going another year again.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I always found this amusing when guys said they couldn't find the place. It's pretty easy to get to.

I used to always get lost driving to Suunnybank which is pretty funny as I'm there almost every day now.

GPS was always a struggle as you'd have to park a long way away but the upside was that there was a big crowd.
Don't get me started on the Souths parking!

I always love going to Wests and Uni for some reason. Brothers is a pain of parking and general location. Souths and Sunnybank are very easy to get to from where I live, so I even head down to watch them if the Tigers are at the coast.......but fuck that damn Souths parking! Haha

T

Tigers Tale

Reg & Jets have raised the old "Easts Dressing Sheds" chestnut over on the 3rd Tier forum.

I know the following comments will have everyone jumping up & down about criticism of their own club's facilities but I think the sheds at Tigerland have been given an undeserved stigma when they aren't exactly the worst in the comp when looked at in light of the sheds at Brothers, Wests, GPS, Bond Uni, Norths, Souths, or even Qld Uni (where the visitor's shed doubles as the male & female public toilets for much of the day). And Jets the Sunnybank sheds aren't exactly like Twickenham either, well the visitor's shed isn't.

The best sheds in the comp (apart from Ballymore) were in fact up at the Sunshine Coast. I will miss the trip up to Kawana!!

People like Mr Filth, SX/TD, or the Big Dog cannot possible jump up and defend the visitors facilities at Crosby, Sylvan Rd or Yoku Rd, and paint them as superior to Easts.

I am not saying the sheds at Tigerland are fantastic I am just saying that they are not inferior to some of the others in the comp.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As I stated in the other thread they aren't the worst. Also we don't expect Twickenham from local club grounds. It would be nice if all the sheds were big enough to fit the entire team in and where the plumbing works.

The thing is though we live in Queensland and you don't need to spend too much time in them as it's much nicer outside.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I find lack of toilet paper a serious epidemic across Brisbane club rugby and as a gentlemen who habitually enjoys a strong curry and dark ale on a Friday night I am perpetually in strife on come Saturday rugby....

But all semi serious jokes aside...if your looking for top notch amenities hanging out at rugby clubs is probably not your thing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, no offense tiggers. I'm very fond of Easts. Just getting the uni boys ready! I plan to be down there for the game too.

T

Tigers Tale

Rugby Reg - after Sydney Uni's trip to Crosby back in 2010 I'd say their expectations of a Brisbane Suburban ground won't be too high.

(Just joking Mr Filth!!!!)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, you're correct, TT. The difference that day was that University didn't have their usual plethora of Super Rugby players, and the better, more deserving and less cashed up club won. I hope Easts belt them, but knowing Easts they'll lose when you don't want them to.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if we can expect more rained out rounds to kick start the season with the year starting earlier then scheduled?

Usually pretty wet in March with the dryer period starting to kick in around Easter.

Also the Heat will play a factor in the 1st rounds.. really feel for the Premier Colts/2nd grades who play at midday.

Anyone ever heard of Rugby games being cancelled due to a heatwave?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Would have to agree with Dan54 there!!! Without a doubt the best behind Stockland Stadium.

Sent from my mind......

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ahem!!!! Ahem chaps, you wanna see good dressing sheds ,just mosey on down Logan way!:p

Another reason why Logan shouldn't be blackballed from Premier Grade.

They have the facilities to cater for a handy Premier rugby team.

3 ovals. 4x dressing rooms. WTF is the rest of these mythical KPI's?

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sx four basic KPIs that help all clubs identify viability.
1. Facilities . Yes check .
2. Support from local governments , communities. Yes Check.
3. Participation . Work in progress
4. Club structures and viability. Work in progress

Because we have great facilities doesn't mean we should be playing premier grade. For what we are working to achieve with the QRU it's not too much to ask for on there behalf. Local government support we know we will get if licence is approved. Club structures and viability is like most club always are work in progress. Looking at what is working with other premier clubs and local clubs we have moved to a one committee club structure. We have business plans in place, we have budgets in place, worked hard on sponsorships not to just get financial gain but to work to get long term relationships for years to come. Participation probably a key element for all clubs. We can definitely improve in that department, we are working hard on junior recruitment to increase club numbers , working on as suggested earlier from jets, colts program which is underway this season and finally senior numbers as the obvious stated. So we've looked at numerous aspects coaching programs for both seniors and juniors because we can now as a one club model. Correcting pathways so we can keep our juniors we have at the club. While it is said give us the status they will come, but will they really ??. Like probably all believe it when you see them pull up in the driveway. And finally RESULTS while we may have dropped down one grade and yes hopefully temporarily we still need to get the results on the field. Agreed we have a strong top grade but don't think for 1 minute we think the results will be a given but we have goals in place and expectations within our own playing group what needs to sit in the cabinets at the end of the season, not just for one grade but to challenge in all grades competing. Players at Logan have their goals and realise they too as with the committee have to work hard to earn our license. Again Sx there's no black balling from the QRU and yes there are KPIs that you will find your respective club will have an idea about where I think in the professional manner of it all will assist all clubs achieve there own personal goals. Our is 2015 and knowing we have built the best foundation possible to not just be a number in the premier competition but to be competitive and develop at our local highest level.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Heavens game... Is participation really a issue on account that Logan fields a 5th grade team & also fields a team on Friday night. I'd imagine he Aaints have better participation rates then norths & with a premier grade team it would help bolster the colts program.

Honestly I reckon Logan is getting the rough end of the stick.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
SX. Logan don't have a Colts program and from 2013 results they were relatively strong in 1st grade (but still only won 4 away games I think) and weak below that. They need to improve the program and that takes time.

The the other issue is the availability of players. With the demographics of southern Brisbane there are a large number of unskilled workers who will struggle to play games on Saturdays as they will have work demands due to the high number who undertake shift work. That is the attraction to playing on Friday night, it doesn't clash with work.

I actually think that the Club and QRU have taken the correct path to enter a team in Premier. By the sounds of what Heavens Game is saying the Club is behind what they are trying to do and that is key too.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth I thought you were agreeing with me but then it came...

No, you're correct, TT. The difference that day was that University didn't have their usual plethora of Super Rugby players, and the better, more deserving and less cashed up club won. I hope Easts belt them, but knowing Easts they'll lose when you don't want them to.

In reality I think the Tigers could be in for a long day on 22 March as their depth -

without the following from their 2013 GF side:
Butler (Brumbies);
Bertini (retired);
Stolberg (Canb);
Enever (poss Reds);
Gunn (Qld U20);
Placid(Qld U20);
Lachlan Walker(retired);
Josh Parry (retired);
AND
also Fattal, Deck & Wilkin (All Qld U20);

- is really going to be tested and they are coming up against the club with arguably the best depth in Australian club rugby.

I hope that the Tigers can bring back the ACC to Qld but honestly it is going to take a mighty effort by the guys who are left. They will need some of that Mighty Tiger spirit.

Having supported Easts for many years I have identified that "optimism" is something every tiger supporter needs so I don't say they are without hope just endeavouring to secure the underdog status for the game.

Yes Mr Filth the Easts sides of yester years were in fact a bit like the Irish rugby team - you don't want to have money on them if they were favourites - but this new breed of Tigers are different they have that fearless youthfulness thanks to the introduction of the Gunn's & Placid's.

Ready, Paraka & UJ will all be keen to impress having spent the off season with the Reds.

Having said that the front row and backline will be fine it's just who will run out in jerseys 4-8 on 22 March which is concerning me, hopefully Super Coach Richards has a few young guns to pull out of his hat for the day and season.

T

Tigers Tale

Some things to consider.

What are the player losses and additions for other clubs for 2014?

Is Anthony Herbert's move from President to CEO(as such) at GPS the most curious move in Qld Rugby since Jeff Miller went from CEO to coach of the Reds?? Yes/No/comment??

What are GPS doing about their mid field - McQuirter/Zangary/Herbert? If Greene stays at Wests and with Milne's move to the Filth what other options do they have??

Will Souths pull some new faces to add to their impressive 2013 line up?

Norths - semi-final contenders or pretenders? Will Nigel Genia make the move to Norths? or even Sunnybank?

Brothers #10?

GPS #4 & #5?

Sunnybank #9 & #10?

Uni #9 & #10?

Who is the favourite to win the Hospital Cup 2014 - GPS, Uni, Sunnybank or another?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My dark horse for this year has to be Souths.

I think they are at the point to get into that competitive top 4.

It's not so much their talent, but more or less how they execute their game plans. Everytime I watch them they are very physical and direct at the breakdown and contact. It's simple but they do it so well.

Not hard to see why Ged O'Hare is skipper, if you want someone to lead by example, you don't need to look much further then him. He is a nutcase in terms of his physicality and disregard for his own body.

Status
Not open for further replies.