• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The appointment of Anthony Herbert as CEO of GPS, from what I understand is merely a bi-product of the merger of junior and senior clubs and fits into their model of running the club with more business orientated goals like they did in 2013 which was the first year the club turned a sizeable profit in quite a few years.

Too early for me to comment on where players will be for the club, apparently quite a few new faces so will add more input closer to the first trial.

I agree with Souths becoming even more of a force in 2014. The club will be thriving on their recent success across most grades in 2013 which will surely attract a couple more players as well.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I have never really got the Ged O'hare love, I think he is good player but people always seem to rate him as the forgotten child of that talented QLD schoolboy year of 09 but personally I have always felt Beauchamp has better all round game, yet both are where they should. Living life as premier grade toilers.

T

Tigers Tale

I might be missing something but I thought Matt Bennett the lock was the Magpies skipper.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets has Hayden Hirsimaki fronted at Sunnybank?

He'll suffer a culture shock going from the Stingrays to the Dragons!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT, He was truing with the squad before Xmas. I'm not sure whats going on now. I'm out of the place by 5 so don't see what happens with the rugby. That will all change when games start though.

Culture shock? Don't know what you're talking about. :)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The more I think about it, Souths won't go that far, neither will Easts. I think it will be between Sunnybank and Jeeps at this stage.

oldmate

Frank Row (1)
The more I think about it, Souths won't go that far, neither will Easts. I think it will be between Sunnybank and Jeeps at this stage.
Mr Filth,
The creator of controversy.
Do you have theory to support this or are you waiting for everyone to rev up their engines about this one?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hmmm I'd seen Ged captain them a few times, so that's why I automatically thought he was.

TD, I honestly have never rated Beauchamp. Apart from his ability in the line out, I think he is severely overrated. Very soft ball runner, doesn't make much impact in the tackle, and whilst his pilfering is OK, it is nothing to write home about.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brothers to fall completely off the Top 4 radar.

Older back line, Soft Forward pack, Premier Colt talent moving to Yoku Rd.

#BOLDPREDICTION : I expect Wests & Souths both to finish above the most successful Premier grade team of the last decade (Butchers Gripe).

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Okay, well what makes you think Souths will make the top 4?

As I said in about 2 years time they will be very strong.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Hmmm I'd seen Ged captain them a few times, so that's why I automatically thought he was.

TD, I honestly have never rated Beauchamp. Apart from his ability in the line out, I think he is severely overrated. Very soft ball runner, doesn't make much impact in the tackle, and whilst his pilfering is OK, it is nothing to write home about.

Hasn't been the same since he go injured that year.

The thing that has me excited for this season is what I expect will be an even better standard of rugby being played. The way the comp has improved over the last 5 years is just insane

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Anyone know when the Reds A squad is announced to play the upcoming 3x games? Be interesting to see how many Premier lads get time.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With a larger u20s and Queensland A program this year, I would be looking very closely at last years reserve grade results to identify positional changes. I think Brothers and Sunnybank will struggle to make the top 4. Souths should sneak in in 4th place. GPS and Uni will make it and Easts will win the minor premiership and go back to back as champions.

(Norths, Wests and GC will be also rans fighting to avoid the wooden spoon, but all should be alot more competitive this year then last year)

Can we bring back just regular tipping this year?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We'll need someone else to do the tipping in 2014. I'll have a few time restraints on me that will make it hard.

I recommend the regular tipping option. It allows people to tip even if you forget to do the form.

The handicap was fun but you need to be on top of it every week.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With a larger u20s and Queensland A program this year, I would be looking very closely at last years reserve grade results to identify positional changes. I think Brothers and Sunnybank will struggle to make the top 4. Souths should sneak in in 4th place. GPS and Uni will make it and Easts will win the minor premiership and go back to back as champions.

(Norths, Wests and GC will be also rans fighting to avoid the wooden spoon, but all should be alot more competitive this year then last year)

Can we bring back just regular tipping this year?

I think Premier Colts will probably be gutted at some Clubs if they are missing to many guys.

T

Tigers Tale

Attention SX - where do you get your stats - you say that the Filth are the most successful Premier Grade side of the past decade but the stats (i.e. Premierships) don't support it!!!

Premierships in last ten years:
SNBK - 3 (2005,'07 & '11);
UNI - 2 (2010 & '12);
EASTS - 2 (2008 & '13);
WESTS - 1 (2006);
Gold Coast - 1 (2004);
Brothers - 1 (2009)

On this basis SX the way I see it the Dogs have been just as successful as the Filth. The Filth may have more Pileki/Shaw trohy wins but you have the same number of Hospital Cup wins.

You can't even mount a Filth case on GF appearances and success rates:
SNBK 3 wins from 4 GF appearances (75%);
UNI 2/3 (66%);
Easts 2/2 (100%);
Gold Coast 1/3 (33%);
Brothers 1/4 (25%).

On these percentages you might even have to give Brothers a chokers tag!!!

(Mr Filth I did see your comments the other day about the Tigers & the Magpies. It is going to be hard to hate the Filth this year with Matho as coach and Campbell as captain but we'll all find a way!! But aren't they just Students & Dogs parading in the Butchers stripes in any event.)

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth - is Josh Parry's old mate James Carter fronting again for the Filth this year?

Do you want to put some money on whether Mr Carter can get another two red cards this year?

He needs to have a session with Tony Shaw and learn the best approach to getting away with things on the field. Mind you Liam (circa. 2008) obviously didn't listen to his father who had a great capacity to remain on the pitch despite his rugged capabilities on it.

T

Tigers Tale

Does anyone know who the coach/coaches are of the Qld A team & the Qld U20 teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.