• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very well said Dan and you are correct on all accounts of what you have mentioned, we are just another step to help the club move forward on the wonderful work of what previous committees have achieved. 2014 is upon us all and I wish all on our forums successes for your respective clubs for the upcoming season.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Posted this is the Reds thread but suggestions that it might be better here.

Will be interesting to see how this kid goes this year. Doesn't have the out & out pace of others but seems to be able to get himself into gaps & attract defenders. Hopefully his health will be better & this will see some significant improvement.

T

Tigers Tale

Good luck to the Saints and I hope they transition into a competitive Premier Grade club sooner rather than later.

Surely history would say that they should be transitioned in like Sunnybank were in the 1980s, and pushing them back to play 2nd grade would (as SX says) appear to be contrary to that.

I am glad they appear to be doing things right at board level because without a stable board it won't work and they will need to deal with all the politics when they do get the chance to set up into Prems.

And before we stick the boot in too far on the Stingrays, don't forget that in Round 18 last year:

Norths 73 def SC Stingrays 17;
Souths 110 def Gold Coast Breakers 5

And that there is a huge divide between the bottom clubs and the top clubs in QPR. The bottom three teams recorded the following number of wins in 2013:
Norths 3;
Gold Coast 3
Sun Coast 1 (def GCB in round 1)

So whilst we may all say what a rabble poor old Sunshine Coast was, Norths and Gold Coast were not much better in terms of wins in 2013. Let's hope that Tony D'arcy can do his tricks at Hugh Courtney and that the Breakers start to see the benefits of the move to Bond Uni.

I can't believe Norths only won 3 games because they certainly gave the tigers two competitive encounters last year. Beware the Eagles because under D'arcy they will improve and they will get one or two big scalps in 2014.

Good luck to the Saints, Eagles and Breakers. Sport is cyclical so lets hope that things can go the way of these clubs in 2014.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think Norths showed a lot more promise then the Coast teams.

Their position and number of wins really didn't show their competitiveness. They scored a shitload of tries, but their defence was quite poor at times.

They will move up to the competitive level Souths and Wests were last season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually thought Norths went backwards last season when compared to the strong finish they had to their 2012 season, actual statistics W/L may prove this untrue but I can't be bothered digging them up, just how I felt watching them. Rumour has it that for 2014 there is a large number of lower grade players heading there from GPS and Brothers so hopefully that will give them some depth throughout the club which should reflect in the higher teams.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
FYI- Tony D'arcy has not been seen at Shaw Rd since round 18 2013.

He is not a part of the coaching set up for the Eagles this season.

Not long to go now!!

Any word on the NRC?? Any clubs put in for a spot??

Sent from my mind......

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Norths best finish in recent years was 2011 where I think they came 5th?
From what I have heard they have no real stars for the 2014 season. I think they still have the core from last year but don't have any real injection of fresh blood from the reports I have gotten. I imagine Varesa Matailini and Evan La Motta is still about so they will have some competitiveness about them. It will be scary to see what Varesa is capable of with an off-season with the reds under his belt. However depth is the real issue with norths who really struggled with lower grades last year. Hopefully they can improve with the rest of the comp.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last I heard La Motta had stepped away from rugby and was actually competing in bodybuilding competitions, dropped his weight by about 20kgs or something. Not sure if that was just an off season thing but wouldn't be surprised if he has hung up the boots by the sounds of it.

Youre right TD, lack of depth hurts them a lot. From memory they might be the only Premier club not to have a 4th grade side. Not saying those players would impact prems but just goes to show the current lack of depth.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hate the Norths fixture, for some reason they always beat us when we least expect it.

oh and has Sef Faagase gone to University, SX?

T

Tigers Tale

I hate the Breakers away fixture because they're always changing the location. haha

SX with all our former Breakers at the Tigers the Breakers game isn't really an away game for the Tigers!!

And I won't insult you by saying I hate the trip to Sylvan Rd, as I said the other day I am looking forward to round 3 at the Kennel.

TT

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hate the Norths away fixture because I can never find the damn place! Haha

I always found this amusing when guys said they couldn't find the place. It's pretty easy to get to.

I used to always get lost driving to Suunnybank which is pretty funny as I'm there almost every day now.

GPS was always a struggle as you'd have to park a long way away but the upside was that there was a big crowd.

T

Tigers Tale

Links to articles on the NRC and the U20 Tournament.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-iii-national-rugby-championship/2/

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

The disappointing news for Tigers supporters is that the national U20 tournament will be run 21-26 March 2014 in Canberra.

I would say a least 5 Tigers will be in the Qld U20 squad - Placid(#15), Gunn (#7), Fattal (#4/#6), Deck (#9) and Wilkin (#7).

Of these I'd say that the first 3 would have got a start against Sydney Uni on 22/3/14.

But having said that I am sure Sydney Uni will also have a host of guys required for the U20 tournament.

TT

T

Tigers Tale

Apparently Michael Stolberg has moved to Canberra hoping to secure a Brumbies contract.

He will play club rugby in Canberra this year.

He will be a big loss for the Tigers as his form towards the end of last season was outstanding.

Let's hope that the Tigers have some new talent in the lock position as they may be without Blake Enever for much of the season as well if he gets a Reds bench spot.

To further complicate the issue is that long term back up in Lachlan Walker was expected to retire as a two time premiership player after last year's GF - Laughy we need you back for one more year.

We might need his 2 time premiership buddy Luke Bertini (#6) to shelve retirement plans as well.

Sam Fattal may be some of the answer but he too will be tied up with U20s commitments.

The lineout was a critical weapon for the tigers last year, so this will be a blow to the Tigers' Hospital Cup aspirations.

Just goes to show that being premiers doesn't give you a leg up for the following season - as all 9 clubs start in the same spot and with the same ultimate goal on 22 March.

Would you really want to be Pat Richards having to sort this out? He has some rebuilding to do to his pack but he is a master of bring youth into the mix and performing beyond expectation - eg 2013 Gunn & Placid, 2008 - Ritchie & Brabam. So 2014 who knows but it will be interesting to see what he does with Wilkin, He managed Gunn & Placid well last year by slowly introducing them to Premier grade as the year progressed.

Tigers fans don't lose faith - they will find a way and they will unveil tomorrow's heroes in due course.

Less than 60 days to kick off of QPR'14.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If I was Wilkin, I'd go to Souths. He really won't be getting much of a run, and Easts' colts are below par, Souths are strong across the board.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth - you asked the other day why Easts had such a wonderful supporter base => well here's another example.

Brad Wilkin is an Easts Junior and he wants to play Premier Grade for Easts. He won't be heading to Souths.

You'll never see too many true Easts boys switch club allegiances and head to Chipsy Wood or Crosby and that is why.

He'll get his chances at Tigerland don't you worry about that.

You probably need to counsel your gun colts from last year after they went out in straight sets after being the biggest favourite in any grade going into the finals.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I do hope the Breakers have a decent 1st grade team this year, seem to recall Logan and everyone else walking them comfortably last year, and could cause a bit of confusion if opposing clubs 2nd grade teams are palying a stronger team than their firsts!!

T

Tigers Tale

Dan

I know one 2nd Grade coach who isn't happy to be lining up against the Saints #1 side.

You would have to think that Logan should win the 2nd Grade premiership, because they were a handy First Grade side in 2013 winning 12 games and finishing the minor premiership in 3rd spot.

TT

Status
Not open for further replies.