• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Greene is a big blow however I am quietly confident that the wests renaissance will continue. Wests were prepared to play without Greene for the majority of the season in any case due to rep commitments so I am sure the club has contingencies.
Although replacing someone of his calibre is near impossible, I am confident that the improvement and chemistry continuing to develop in other areas will bode well. Couple this with the fact that the current wests coaching staff will actually have a full preseason to instill their own brand of rugby on the club. Unlike last year where they had to come take charge a week before the first game and use a game plan different to their own.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth Rugby claims that "the 2009 Brothers backline was the 'most dominate backline in 10 years'" - lets look at the facts.

Filth if the Brothers backline in 2009 was the best backline in 10 years why didn't they get the better of the Easts backline in 2008 (that contained Andrew Walker, Matt Brandon, David Lucas)?

That Easts side also went onto win the Aust Club Champs in 2009 so they couldn't have been to shabby in comparison to "the most dominate backline in 10 years" who for all their greatness only managed one premiership in the extended run ("Premiership window") where they maintained this "star studded" backline.

I would also say that the Sunnybank backline from their 2007 12 try Grand Final win over the Gold Coast which contained Ben Lucas & Digby Ioane would have to be a contender for the title of best backline in the last ten years, as would the Sunnybank 2005 backline (incl. Tim Sampson) and the Uni side that won two premierships in 3 years (2010 & 2012).

You mustn't know your history of QLD rugby that well if you think Brothers have fallen foul of QLD selectors - it wasn't that long ago (1970s & 1980s) that unless you played for Brother or Uni you weren't much of a chance of making the Qld side. Fair enough too because they were the two clubs who dominated Brisbane Rugby, just as the Souths teams of 1990s dominated the make up of the QLD/Wallabies sides. The fact is that Brothers for all their historical dominance of the Brisbane Rugby landscape have won one premiership in the last 26 years.

I more than most people on this forum suffer from tunnel vision for my own club but to say that the 2009 Brother backline was "the most dominate backline in 10 years" is taking it a bit far.

If you said that the Brothers backline from the early 80s (Lavin, McLean, Moon, Mills, Hanley, Potts, etc) was the best club backline in Brisbane Rugby history then their 5 premierships in a row (1980-84) would support such a statement but the fact is that whilst the McKibbin/Murphy backline was a good one it was not a great one.

T

Tigers Tale

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, some decent points there. However, if I recall Brothers played against Easts with 14 men for 70 minutes due to a moronic decision by the referee. So each time Easts had an attacking set-piece in the backline it would be 7v6, which any well-minded rugby follower would know is hard to defend against.

Secondly, if you look at the 2011 GF, Brothers had the stronger backline whilst the forwards struggled against a Reds forward pack.

Thirdly, if I can recall, and hopefully you can corroborate for me, TT, but in 2009 when it was Bro v Eas in a decent, even contest in the Preliminary Final, who won that?

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth

Brothers no but GPS maybe a very good backline in 2014

It wasn't Easts fault in 2008 that Liam Shaw broke the laws of the game and was sent off, and if the "great" Brendan McKibbin had kicked the penalty with only minutes on the clock from in front - it might have been 2 premierships.

In 2009 Brothers did defeat Easts in the preliminary final when Andrew Walker didn't have one of his finer days, but Brothers deserved their win on that day. (In fact that was the only QPR finals game that Pat Richards has lost as a coach - his record stands at 5/6 ('08, '09 & '13) - that begs the question as to why contributors to this forum were ready to write him off at this time last year!!)

But you seem to miss my point which is to be considered "great" you must first meet the criteria of winning consistently and in my opinion that means winning multiple premierships - I don't think that Brothers record of 1 premiership in 26 years meets my first criteria for greatness.

The Brothers side of 1980-84 winning 5 premierships in a row was a great side, the Brothers teams through 2006-11 were good sides but seriously non of those sides or backlines qualify for "greatness".

Anyhow, I am more interested in seeing what the 2014 Brothers backline does starting in 71 days time, if it makes you feel any better I don't think it will rise to the level of the McKibbin/Murphy era backline!!!

With Greene set to pull on the Gallopers jersey in 2014 does that make GPS the Premiership favourites?

GPS do have the makings of a very good backline - Frisby, Greene, Kerevi, Kirandrani, Fainga, etc (issue for GPS will be if most of these guys all get tied up with S15 and Greene goes to the JRWC).

Tigers Tale, is always willing to give credit where credit is due!!

Good luck to Brothers in 2014, Easts always look forward to our clashes with Brothers.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well I'm only hoping Easts win one game this year and that's against Sydney University.

In regards to Greene, I will believe it when I see it, but I still think he'll come to Brothers.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
T
Mr Filth

Brothers no but GPS maybe a very good backline in 2014

It wasn't Easts fault in 2008 that Liam Shaw broke the laws of the game and was sent off, and if the "great" Brendan McKibbin had kicked the penalty with only minutes on the clock from in front - it might have been 2 premierships.

In 2009 Brothers did defeat Easts in the preliminary final when Andrew Walker didn't have one of his finer days, but Brothers deserved their win on that day. (In fact that was the only QPR finals game that Pat Richards has lost as a coach - his record stands at 5/6 ('08, '09 & '13) - that begs the question as to why contributors to this forum were ready to write him off at this time last year!!)

But you seem to miss my point which is to be considered "great" you must first meet the criteria of winning consistently and in my opinion that means winning multiple premierships - I don't think that Brothers record of 1 premiership in 26 years meets my first criteria for greatness.

The Brothers side of 1980-84 winning 5 premierships in a row was a great side, the Brothers teams through 2006-11 were good sides but seriously non of those sides or backlines qualify for "greatness".

Anyhow, I am more interested in seeing what the 2014 Brothers backline does starting in 71 days time, if it makes you feel any better I don't think it will rise to the level of the McKibbin/Murphy era backline!!!

With Greene set to pull on the Gallopers jersey in 2014 does that make GPS the Premiership favourites?

GPS do have the makings of a very good backline - Frisby, Greene, Kerevi, Kirandrani, Fainga, etc (issue for GPS will be if most of these guys all get tied up with S15 and Greene goes to the JRWC).

Tigers Tale, is always willing to give credit where credit is due!!

Good luck to Brothers in 2014, Easts always look forward to our clashes with Brothers.

TT - All strong points which I can't disagree with except I don't believe it was Liam Shaw that was sent off...

Also, Sam Greene is set to be away for 90% of the QPR comp so his contributions will be limited until the finals. In saying that, GPS will again need a strong halves pairing to qualify to this point. Something they are very capable of I might add.

T

Tigers Tale

T

TT - All strong points which I can't disagree with except I don't believe it was Liam Shaw that was sent off.

Definitely Liam Shaw just ask FilthRugby to confirm, it still burns the hearts at Crosby. Both Liam and Andrew played in the 2008 GF. Other Shaw connection to that game was that I think this was the first time the Tony Shaw medal was awarded - Herman Porter (Easts) won it.

Who was the Ref that day?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Definitely Liam Shaw just ask FilthRugby to confirm, it still burns the hearts at Crosby. Both Liam and Andrew played in the 2008 GF. Other Shaw connection to that game was that I think this was the first time the Tony Shaw medal was awarded - Herman Porter (Easts) won it.

Who was the Ref that day?

My error - was thinking of Charlie Freney when he was sent off in a semi a couple years back.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/tigers-win-club-rugby-final/story-e6frepm6-1111117219080

T

Tigers Tale

Am I right in saying that today is the closing date for expression of interest for the NRC?

My understanding was as follows:

Expressions of interest are being sought from existing clubs or amalgamations of teams wanting to compete in the NRC, with a closing date of January 13, followed by a tendering process. The successful teams will be announced by the end of February.

Does anyone know for certain who has/hasn't submitted an EOI, from a Qld perspective?

T

Tigers Tale

Despite all of the excitement, anxiety & uncertainty surrounding the NRC I hope all the clubs can just get on with the job of putting on a high standard Premier Grade Rugby competition, the last thing any club wants if for their players to get hung up about whether they will get a run in the NRC when chances are that not many of them will.

If we see continued improvement from Souths, Norths, Wests & Breakers then maybe we will see them all achieve a victory or two over one of the favoured five clubs, particularly Souths. The concern for Souths would have to be depth in crucial positions (same for all clubs really) but they are the reigning reserve (first) grade premiers. Souths certainly put the cleaners through Easts when they met at Chipsy Wood in the second round last year.

Easts biggest concerns would have to be filling the big hole left by Bertini (retirement) & Butler(Brumbies), and any injury to Brandon, although that would present an opportunity for UJ. There seems to be depth across most other positions except for #13. It will be interesting to see if such depth transforms into better results for Easts reserve grade who have struggled for a number of years now.

Biggest questions for me are whether Sunnybank, Brothers & Uni can fight back after what would have been disappointing results in 2013 by their high standards. I am sure they all will which will make making the 4 difficult.

Having said that all clubs start on the same points on 22 March 2014 and any long or short term history is thrown out the door.

Does anyone know what the availability of the Aust U20s players is going to be? As that will impact Easts (Placid, Gunn, Deck, Fatal, Wilkin) and also whatever club Sam Greene turns out for. I presume that Uni, Sunnybank, GPS and possibly Brothers would also be impacted significantly by availability of their U20 players. THE JRWC itself runs in June which coincides with the S15 break for Test Rugby, but the issue is what Premier Rugby the ARU will let these guys play in the lead up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From what I hear there is a national U20 comp being played in the lead up to the JRWC and some games against Pacific Island teams, these may be part of the national comp.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Am I right in saying that today is the closing date for expression of interest for the NRC?

My understanding was as follows:

Expressions of interest are being sought from existing clubs or amalgamations of teams wanting to compete in the NRC, with a closing date of January 13, followed by a tendering process. The successful teams will be announced by the end of February.

Does anyone know for certain who has/hasn't submitted an EOI, from a Qld perspective?

Have Easts submitted an EOI?

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Anybody know how the Queenland u20 squad is looking this year? Any new faces to watch out for?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm trying to recall where I read an article about the Easts coach, whose names escapes me, mentioning how Easts should have a go at getting into the NRC, due to having plenty of talent (which I agree with) and Easts having the most supporters in Brisbane. I will agree with him on that, which baffles me because apart from late 90s, Easts highest achievement would have been a 4th grade semi-final appearance probably back in the late 70s. I'm struggling to know where all the supporters would have come from.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm trying to recall where I read an article about the Easts coach, whose names escapes me, mentioning how Easts should have a go at getting into the NRC, due to having plenty of talent (which I agree with) and Easts having the most supporters in Brisbane. I will agree with him on that, which baffles me because apart from late 90s, Easts highest achievement would have been a 4th grade semi-final appearance probably back in the late 70s. I'm struggling to know where all the supporters would have come from.
The culture :p

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Easts had a few grand final losses in the 80s and early 90s. Part of the reason why when they finally won it was such a big deal.

The demographics of South-East Brisbane has changed alot over the last 2 decades. A number of suburbs have gone from "working-class" to yuppy and upper middle class. EG The Bulimba area, Camp Hill, Wynnum Manly etc.

It also really helps having a proper grandstand right beside the field. Something no other brisbane club has. This is great for supporters.

I agree Easts should go into this comp if the QRU aren't going to organise a Bris-North and Bris-South. ut they might have to use the Easts Rugby League grounds as they are already set up for Live broadcasting.

If only one game a week is being telecasted by Fox Sports they might only have to do that once a season. Which I think is acceptable. I hope they have picked up the telephone and spoken with Souths and Sunnybank about this comp to find out their intentions and desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.