• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

And how are things looking down at Tigerland, TT?

Happy NY Mr Filth - Tigers 2014 well as you would appreciate a lot of things have to go right for your club to win the Hospital Cup. Easts had that last year when they went into the finals with everyone fit except Toua & Quirk. Having said that we'll miss Butler & Bertini but that presents opportunities for other back row aspirants including School Boy gun Brad Wilkins it will be interesting to see if he can rise to the levels of 2013 Michael Gunn. Other interesting part for Easts will be to see how UJ, Gunn, Placid, Paraka, Enever, White backup their fine final series last year. Speedster Chris Mansell returns and we might even get a few games from Shannon Walker.

Brothers will do well under Matho - quality human being.

What additions do u have apart from Milne? Will Greene join u? He should for his own rugby development. We could use him when Brando retires someday! Although UJ was gr8 at #12 last year he really stood up in the finals.

T

Tigers Tale

The more I think about the NRC - I ask this question why is the responsibility for creating this semi-professional comp is being put in the hands (with respect) of the well intentioned "ametuers"at club land?

Why aren't the 5 professional franchises driving it as they are the ones who will benefit most from this tournament. The franchises also have the structures established to run these teams professionally and most of the players participating are contracted to these franchises. The additional players required would be those that the franchises have identified as the next breed that they could trial in a competitive environment (games & training).

An eight team comp with one team in Melb & Perth and two in Bne, Syd & Canb. Could be run over 9 weeks - play everyone once, then 1v4 and 2v3 play first week of finals and then the winners play the GF the following week.

The two Qld teams could be the Red Healers and the Koalas. The local derby between the Healers and the Koalas would be a promoters dream!

T

Tigers Tale

Here's another thought - that the two Brisbane sides not be selected along the lines of North and South but by an IPL type auction. In fact maybe that's how all of the sides should be selected let's put the best 300 non-Wallaby players in the country in a pile and let 8 teams spread across the nation select in an auction like process to fill a squad of 30 payers each. If injury impacts on a side then they can call on the 60 left overs.

It seems to work in the Big Bash League where players from outside the state play for the respective capital city teams.

If fact it makes it interesting to see Qld Bulls play for teams other than the Brisbane Heat.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don't worry about finding a flyhalf when Matt Brandon retires, TT. Just head on down to Gold Coast Rugby.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From my point of view the Queensland teams need to be run by the QRU or an independent board.

In effect the NRC may diminish the role that Clubs play in the lives of players. It will be a bit like the QRL when the Bronco's entered NSWRL. They will become feeder clubs and will never have the top players playing for them again.

UQ is the only club that I can see who could justify entering the NRC and that would only be if the Uni was fully behind it, as they will gain a lot of exposure as a result.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Have clubs added any interstate/ OS/ league players to thier rosters that may make a splash in the comp?

Generally there's always a few returning home to QLD or to their preferred code after missing out on an NRL contract.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does the grades and colts draw coincides with the Prems draw?

Traditionally yes, I would say it will follow the same format but just be adjusted for however many teams are available for that grade. For example traditionally only 4-5 clubs are able to field Colts 2 sides, so in that case there will most likely be more bye weeks so all teams have the same end date.

T

Tigers Tale

Only 74 days to 2014 QPR kick off - 22 March 2014.

Easts have round 1 bye but take on Sydney Uni at Bottomley - kick off 6pm on that day.

Be interesting to see who turns up at training venues across Brisbane & Gold Coast over the next week or so.

How many Uni or GPS boys will link with Matho at Crosby?

What new faces will D'arcy introduce to Hugh Courtney Oval?

Are Grasso/Nigel Genia on the move? Who will be Sunnybank's regular #9 given Meehan's now @ the Rebels and Kingi is playing in France.

Mr Filth no Breakers recruits due at Bottomley this year, but lets hope that the Breakers get a few new faces to improve their depth of talent - would be nice to see the "Cromwell" Breakers move up the ladder. (I laughed at you little dig yesterday.)

Is anyone prepared to call their 2014 top 4 projections - I think the four will be Easts (of course), Souths, GPS & Uni.

Note that the final of the S15 coincides with the first week of the QPR finals, so Uni and Sunnybank will see very little of their Reds players, apart from possibly the 3 week Test window in June, and the QPR finals.

Easts would happily bring Toua & Quirk into their finals squad (pending the Reds S15 outcome), and those guys would love to play in a Tigers grand final - just look at how these two talented water boys went off at fulltime of the 2013 GF.

I am predicting big S15 form for Toua & Quirk in 2014, and possibly a bit of exposure for Blake Enever. I hear that Blake is in line to replace Ed O'Donaghue as the reserve lock for the Reds. Blake's performances for Easts in the later part of the 2013 were outstanding he really took a step up during the final series - what about the try he laid on for Gunn in the major semi?

Regards

Tigers Tale

T

Tigers Tale

This is the aftermath of the Gunn try in the 2013 major semi - Enever has the head gear on in the middle of this pack of Tigers in post try celebrations.

oh-yeh-gunny-jpg.4163

T

Tigers Tale

Have Easts started training yet, TT? I don't think Brothers have, except Prem Grade I imagine!

Not 100% sure Mr Filth but it is in the next week or two - they all should have been doing the clubs strength and condition program since October which they run out of the gym at Churchie with a few S&C guys including dual Easts premiership flyer Ricky Nalatu.

Easts have had more than usual numbers working with the Reds apart from Quirk, Toua & Enever I think Ready, Gunn, Placid, Seuteni, & Parakka have been in the ETS. These younger guys will have gained a heap of experience from that involvement.

Easts biggest challenges this year will be filling the void of Butler(Brumbies) and Bertini(Retirement), and Enever if he gets time with the Reds. Brad Wilkins (Aust School Boy '13) will possibly fill some of the void but these 3 provide toughness & experience.

Will Brothers get back any of those guys that took off overseas last year? How many of your gun colts from 2013 will feature in Premier Grade this year? Michael Gunn and Jonah Placid showed last year that if you are good enough you are old enough.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Little bit concerned with our back row and locks for next season.

Not much to choose from with Enever likely to be with the Reds more, although seasoned guys like Riley and Walker do the job. That young Fattal might be a look in?

Back row looks a bit thin without JB and Bertini. Gunny and this Wilkins could be the 6/7 duo, but number 8 is a concern. Mowen is nowhere near up to it and there aren't many to choose from. Lots of capable 7's, but not many 6/8's.

T

Tigers Tale

Little bit concerned with our back row and locks for next season.

Not much to choose from with Enever likely to be with the Reds more, although seasoned guys like Riley and Walker do the job. That young Fattal might be a look in?

Back row looks a bit thin without JB and Bertini. Gunny and this Wilkins could be the 6/7 duo, but number 8 is a concern. Mowen is nowhere near up to it and there aren't many to choose from. Lots of capable 7's, but not many 6/8's.

We'll be right Tigerland.

I think there is some UK backrow talent joining the club and I saw that Sam Fatal was training at lock with the Reds the other day. (Footage on Reds website with James Horwell interview)

I am sure that Pat Richards will have it covered.

The loss of two hard men (JB & Bertini) will be compensated somewhat by the return of Ready to a starting position - that bloke is tough.

Pettowa, Ready & Sanday would have to be close to the best front row combination in the comp. Back that up with Enever, Stolberg, Fatal and then Gunn & Wilkins it looks pretty good. Fatal may even be an option to start at #6. This will be Fatal's 3rd year at the Tigers, unfortunately injury and opportunity have not seen him perform to his potential but this year will hopefully be a break out year for him.

Add a fit Sean Cox & Adam Deck, and the speed of Chris Mansell & Shannon Walker (& possibly Toua) to the Grand Final backline and you have some real depth in the backs as well.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@Tigerland12 i noticed on that premier squad list you put up a few months ago that there was a number of 2013 QLD schoolboy locks/blindsides....do you know much about them?

TT you keep mentioning Shannon Walker's name in your calculations, has he not only played 2 games over 2 years of being at the club.

Unless he has been dropped by the sevens team, I can't see him featuring in any more games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also the fact that all 7's contracted players have to move to Sydney and I can't see Walker playing at Tigerland any time soon.

T

Tigers Tale

@Tigerland12 i noticed on that premier squad list you put up a few months ago that there was a number of 2013 QLD schoolboy locks/blindsides..do you know much about them?

TT you keep mentioning Shannon Walker's name in your calculations, has he not only played 2 games over 2 years of being at the club.

Unless he has been dropped by the sevens team, I can't see him featuring in any more games.

Shannon has only ever played one game of 15s (2012 Welsby Cup East v Brothers at Crosby - try on debut just speed). The reason he hasn't played more is due to injury but you are correct my inclusion of him in calculations maybe more wishful thinking than reality but if he does play 15s it will be for Easts.

You tend to get a few games out of the 7s guys e.g. Jordan Toupou (former Tiger), Peter Lee, etc.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS Prems have been training for a while now but the club announced yesterday that training for all grades and colts begins on Tuesday 14th Jan. I think a lot of players will be wondering why such an early start and may not bother coming down for a while as there hasn't been much said about the earlier competition kick off, hopefully they get on top of this or surely a few sides will be underdone.

Status
Not open for further replies.