• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

He's back! Tiger tale, this page was running smoothly, but I suppose all good things come to an end.

Nice to hear from you Mr Filth - what's it going to be like linking up with 4 of your mortal enemies in order of your distaste - Uni, GPS, Wests, Norths.

How will Sam Green go as your #10?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT so good to have you back. I had to double check that I hadn't missed Christmas.

Here's who I'd pick in the South Brisbane Brothel Goers

1. Anae
2. Ready
3. Holmes
4. Bennett
5. Enever
6. Quirk
7. Robinson/Gunn
8. Schatz
9. Evans
10. B Lucas
11. Lepierre
12. Tapuai
13. CFS/White
14. Placid
15. Toua

I'd be pretty happy with this team. Lock is the only major area of concern but Enever should step up, think it may be a big year for him in 2014 with the Reds.

As for a coach I don't think Woody should be involved but could see Stiles and Meehan taking the 2 Brisbane teams. I'd want Meehan for the South side team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stilesy will be south side for sure. Reclaiming his Chipsy Wood roots.

Meehan will stick to the Yoku side of town.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets I have been moon lighting over on the 3rd tier forum - sticking it up those cocky Sydneyites.

I like your side but I would have Anae at hooker and start Petowa Parraka (he is a freak). For a guy with such great strength he has amazing hands. I think of all the Easts GF side I think he is the most likely to represent the Wallabies one day.

I also wouldn't be afraid to give Stolberg a start I think he would rise to the challenge of playing at a higher level.

Is Evans at #9 tokenism? Is he really a better half back than Ben Meehan?

I like Lucas at #10, and if you put Mullins at #9 they would combine for a second time in their playing careers given Mullins (yr. 11) played at #12 outside Lucas#10 in the 2005 Gregory Terrace 1st XV.

In 2006 Mullins played at #10 and his direct opponents that year were Cooper(ACGS), To'omua (BSHS) & O'Connor(Nudgee). Mullins may not have risen to Wallaby status like the other 3 but he has played in a Brisbane premiership side something that the other three have not.

In fact did To'omua every play club rugby in Brisbane or did he go straight to the Brumbies after school. I know JOC (James O'Connor) has never played club rugby in Bne. Quade of course is a Magpie and was an Aces player back in ARC2007.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's not making me happy Reg. Makes sense though. Just with the back line I named I want a backs coach who could make the most of it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To'omua played juniors for Beenleigh. Closest I saw JOC (James O'Connor) come to club rugby was when he played for the Hunt family team in a 7's tournament at Sunnybank in his last year of school, would have played somewhere on the coast when younger.

I'm not a Mullins fan, but haven't seen him play in a while. Guess it's hard for the others to play in a Brisbane premiership when they are playing Super Rugby and not linked to a Brisbane Club.

Happy to add Parraka to the front row but see more value in Anae at LHP. Daley has to come into the picture too.

Also could throw in Maile Ngauamo into the hooker mix. He's been training with the Reds too.

Never rated Stolberg, but like Mullins, haven't seen him play this year and he is a massive unit. I guess that's what the NRC is all about.

Is there some issue with White? He seems to cut teams apart, from some highlights I've seen, yet no pro team is looking at him. Might be looking OS in coming years.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets - happy with your assessment. I would also rather have Meehan coach the "Sth Bne Sharks"

I can assure you that there is no issue with White - the only thing that S15 sides might mark him down on is that he just needs another yard of pace for the next level. He was the better performed #13 in both the major and grand finals v GPS.

I understand your comment with regard to MT & JOC (James O'Connor) not playing in Bne club land but it was just a throw away line. Having said that I was really happy for Mullins to captain a premiership side - true clubman.

I will go back in my box until after Christmas as I have Ashes cricket to follow.

So Merry Christmas and Happy NY.

What a great 2013 for the Tigers lets hope for an even bigger one for the Tigers and Sharks in 2014.

Regards

Tigers Tale

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have a soft spot for the Brisbane Banditos, with jersey sublimation as it is these days then the jersey could look like club leathers and they could all grow dirty mo's and ride onto the found on Hogs. Too much SAMCRO?

Barely enough :cool:

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just using reds players from the north side (who probably won't be wallabies without injury)

1 Sef faaganse
2 Chibba/ Fiangaa
3 Jonno Owen
4 o'donoghue
5 McDuling
6 browning
9 frisby
10 Harris
11 shipperly/kuridrani
12 ant fiangaa
13 samu kerevi
14 rocket
15 Jj Tualugi/turner (assuming he goes GPS)

Not a lot of room for amateur premier players without top end injuries

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
To'omua played juniors for Beenleigh. Closest I saw JOC (James O'Connor) come to club rugby was when he played for the Hunt family team in a 7's tournament at Sunnybank in his last year of school, would have played somewhere on the coast when younger.

Just a little info tidbit - JOC (James O'Connor) did actually play a season or two for Brothers in juniors. I know he played a few games there in under 16s, possible another season as well I believe.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Just using reds players from the north side (who probably won't be wallabies without injury)

1 Sef faaganse
2 Chibba/ Fiangaa
3 Jonno Owen
4 o'donoghue
5 McDuling
6 browning
9 frisby
10 Harris
11 shipperly/kuridrani
12 ant fiangaa
13 samu kerevi
14 rocket
15 Jj Tualugi/turner (assuming he goes GPS)

Not a lot of room for amateur premier players without top end injuries

Connor Mitchell for 7, been really impressed the 2 times I've watched him play. Cornelsen for 8? Never seen him play but heard some good things.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I
Connor Mitchell for 7, been really impressed the 2 times I've watched him play. Cornelsen for 8? Never seen him play but heard some good things.
I would probably go with Luke beachump from brothers and just move Curtis to 8. Cornelsen was impressive at colts level but still has to grow into his body for the step up.
Who was the backrow from GPS? Fergy was the 7 wasnt he? And do norths still have the premier player of the year from a few years back?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Red Heavy, I agree, I think Beauchamp, Schultz, Gendle, Bond, Creighton and Murphy should all be considered from Brothers, but no doubt University and Jeeps will dominant the North team and they deserve it in a way due to Brothers, Norths and Wests having a few off years and still rebuilding.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Red Heavy, I agree, I think Beauchamp, Schultz, Gendle, Bond, Creighton and Murphy should all be considered from Brothers, but no doubt University and Jeeps will dominant the North team and they deserve it in a way due to Brothers, Norths and Wests having a few off years and still rebuilding.

Lol brothers ain't rebuilding.

Have they missed the semi finals since 2005? I can't recall. They're stacked.. they just don't have the firepower to compete come finals time.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd argue Brothers are trying to rebuild on a club level rather than in Prems. As you say SX they have plenty of talent but the reason they can't compete at finals time is lack of depth. Prems and Prem Colts have been strong recently but some of the lower grades have been whipping boys for a while now.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I predict that quite a few non contracted players mentioned in this forum will get pinched to play in Melbourne , WA and ACT. They will go with the promise of some cash, accom and possible franchise contract at the end of the season (mostly lies but it will work). Not sure how 2 teams controlled by the QRU will allocate players evenly and fairly. They will want at least one team to do well. Very hard to think of a sporting organisation in the world that successfully fields 2 teams in the same comp. (just ask Mark Webber how that works out in car racing) my guess is after 1 season the QRU will hand back one team to NSW.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I predict that quite a few non contracted players mentioned in this forum will get pinched to play in Melbourne , WA and ACT. They will go with the promise of some cash, accom and possible franchise contract at the end of the season (mostly lies but it will work). Not sure how 2 teams controlled by the QRU will allocate players evenly and fairly. They will want at least one team to do well. Very hard to think of a sporting organisation in the world that successfully fields 2 teams in the same comp. (just ask Mark Webber how that works out in car racing) my guess is after 1 season the QRU will hand back one team to NSW.
Can you blame non-contracted players for going?
I believe that there are a few who may fair well to try outside of QLD.
Looking forward to watching more rugby!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Considering the amount of Reds and QRU boys involved in the Wallabies (not too many really), there will be plenty of talent running around in Brisbane to fill at least two teams surely?

Along with the likes of the very talented club players who are on the fringe or involved in Aus 7s programs, and the other fringe players from Brisbane at other Super XV franchises, and even overseas based players looking at returning..... shouldn't be too hard to field 2/3 competitive teams??

BUT if this is the way it is going to be.... why would a club want to put in a lot of time, effort and money to field a team when its going to be dictated to them who is playing for them?? Where is the benefit for the club/s? A % of the gate takings only?

If they are going to be controlled by the ARU or even the QRU to a lesser extent, then shouldn't they be putting together the required funding, ($350k or whatever it was) as they are protecting/improving their assets etc.

What sort of returns would the club/s actually get from their investment into this format?

Loose and radical example: Norths (I said radical) put in for a licence(?) and get it. GPS dont. Brothers dont.
Frisby, Bond, Shipperly, Kite, Kuridrani etc are disbursed to the Norths team to play. Are they then Norths club players? Should they be playing club for Norths?? They will be advertised on the TV as Norths players?? Essentially Norths could have a rubbish club team but outstanding franchise team?? Where is the benefit??

I think, and have thought this from the start - Seperate entities & franchises.
Lets call them Northside and Southside.
Initially (1-2 years) controlled and funded by the QRU. (they put the right people in the right places to control these Franchises during the set up period of a couple of seasons then they are on their own from there. Seperate boards, directors, staff, coaches etc) There are plenty of good rugby people not involved in club rugby at the moment for various reasons. Wouldnt be too hard to fill the positions.
Each club is alligned with a Franchise. You can only play for that franchise if you play for the alligned club. Super Rugby players included. Maybe a small allocation for draft players? 2-3 per squad.
That is then your club players target, goal, ambition etc. So the pathway is: Prems - Franchise - Reds - Wallabies.
E.g. If there are 3 outstanding fullbacks on the Southside, and 3 average ones on the Northside, one may decide to head to a Northside club team, to try and get into the Northside franchise. This will obviously boost the Northside team he decides to go to and of course even out the comp a bit in the process.

Just thinking out loud... quietly....

Status
Not open for further replies.