• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As T12 said, the player and club alignment should be modelled off the East Coast Acers and Ballymore Tornadoes. But fingers crossed it doesn't end up like the Australian Rugby Championship. I still hope Brothers go at it alone.

I'm cool with a team based at Ballymore, it makes sense. I just can't come at the East Coast Aces thing. South Brisbane Drop Bears would be good. I have a soft spot for the Brisbane Banditos, with jersey sublimation as it is these days then the jersey could look like club leathers and they could all grow dirty mo's and ride onto the found on Hogs. Too much SAMCRO?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jets, I'm definitely not supporting the re-introduction of the East-Coast Acers or Ballymore Tornadoes. I was just simply following on with the point T12 made in regards to club alignment.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I didn't think you were. The Aces idea has to be one of the worst in Aust sport.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't care what they are called

As long as the North Brisbane team isn't called the Heavies likewise for the Brisbane South been known as the dragons.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@tigerland12 on the topic of your now deleted post Jnr was just retweeting what kirisome auvaa who was a freakish junior league talent. I believe may have played some 12 for Australia a schoolboys in 2009.....if he is going there that is a whole lot of talent existing and new on the GPS backline...especially considering they have signed the Australia A 12 from the next year in Sam Johnson who is also training with the reds...whole lot if backline talent at GPS and they somehow have to keep them all happy. Just goes to show

#moneytalks #premiership2014purchased

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
On the hashtags TD - how much do you think is attributable to $$ and how much to Brett Picone coaching at GPS?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Made Australian schools 2010 or 11? I believe and I am not sure where he went from there, a quick google search indicates GC titans u20s this year but can't find much else.....if I remember correctly he was very much in the mould of Matt To'omua when plays 12. Runs hard and has some ball handling about him.

Kirisome auvaa on the other hand is very much like maa nonu,breaks the line and will look to dish but that's not to say he doesn't have any toe on him. Quite quick if I remember.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@Cat_A coaching credentials can only superstars happy for so long and when GPS has talent such as Zangari, kerevi, kuridrani already there something has to give. To many top flight aspirations at stake to be dwelling in reserve grade. Yet by the same token perhaps there are vacancies that I don't know about...yet I doubt it.

Also I am not a seriously suggesting that GPS hand out money hand over fist, but they must offer some seriously good incentives

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry- I was referring to the fact that Brett Picone is their manager. Not coaching credentials necessarily. I'd imagine your manager being a coach could be quite influential in club selection.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cat_A, yes Picone's influence through his managing agency has definitely been seen at the club since his inclusion in 2012. He brought in the likes of Junior Rasolea, Pama Fou, Joey Lala and Sean McMahon (I believe) who were all fairly established 7s players at the time and have since all moved on to bigger and better things.

In regards to new players coming in. I wouldn't exactly say all the backline positions in Prems are solid at this stage, especially in the 10,12 and 15 areas. Blokes like McWhirter, Zangari, Tela and Milne are solid players but have played their fair share of reggies footy in the last few years and aren't exactly superstars so there is definitely room for improvement in those areas.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm sure those club stalwarts who took you to your first GF in years would be very pleased to hear that they are seen as areas of improvement.....

Also word on the street is that a few GPS boys are heading to Albion....heard it here first.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
*DISCLAIMER* Has just been pointed out to me that the it is not Somi Auvaa joining GPS but Somi Tupou, apparently Auvaa still very much a league player.....which is disappointing as he was quite a midfield talent when I watch him at nationals 4 years ago.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm sure those club stalwarts who took you to your first GF in years would be very pleased to hear that they are seen as areas of improvement...

Also word on the street is that a few GPS boys are heading to Albion..heard it here first.

I never said they hadn't earned their positions did I? You were implying that any backline additions were coming through to any already superstar backline, Im simply stating the obvious that those areas in the backline were not as strong as others, as I mentioned frequently during the season.

First i've heard of players going to Albion, would be very surprised to be honest as beating the filth at yoku is one of the biggest gee up home games of the year, a good natured animosity towards them. I have heard, however, that a few guys (not prems but more reggie to lower grades) fellas are heading off to Norths.

S

secondfive

Big year for the qld comp- 3rd strongest club comp in the country

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Qld Comp= 2nd in regards to size, 1st in regards to quality.
But I'll cut you some slack secondfive as your a fellow Wicks supporter.

T

Tigers Tale

Sorry but you didn't think I could possibly not put my two bobs worth in with the NRC.

I just hope that no stand alone QLD club is admitted into the NRC because it would just ruin what will be left of Premier Rugby in QLD - so if we have the north and south divide of Brisbane I don't give a stuff about the North Brisbane Nobodies but the South Brisbane Sharks squad might look something like the list below.

(There is a high representation of Tiger in my squad but what would you expect as the reigning premiers. Clearly some will debate the inclusions/exclusions from my squad which is a little light on in the backrow.)

This is where things will get political - what justifiable representation will the Bond Uni Breakers have?

Another issue I see is that there maybe blokes listed who due to work/other commitments simply aren't prepared to give up another 10+ weeks for a semi professional stint where they get paid bugger all.

Do the NRC franchises have to pay the s15 players to participate?

Can players from the northern clubs not selected in the "Nobodies" be picked up by the "Sharks", like Tim Sampson(Sunnybank) who played for the Tornadoes in the ARC?

Will the QRU dictate to the Brisbane Franchises?

Will Richard Graham coach the "Sharks" and Nick Stiles the "Nobodies"?

The Sharks Squad

Easts Sunnybank Souths Gold Coast
1 KIRWAN SANDAY GREG HOLMES
2 ANDREW READY ALBERT ANAE
3 PETTOWA PARAKA SAM DENNY BEN DALEY
4 MICHAEL STOLBERG NIGEL Ah WONG
5 BLAKE ENEVER MATT BENNETT
6 ED QUIRK
7 MICHAEL GUNN BAEU ROBINSON
8 JAKE SCHATZ
9 JACK MULLINS BEN LUCAS (9/10) LUKE EVANS
10 MATT BRANDON JAKE McINTYRE