• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't know what's going on down at Brothers, but I imagine their training hard. Why are Easts getting special treatment with all this training with the Reds? I get why Quirk, Toua, Gunn, Enever and Placid are there! But the other three you mentioned TT probably shouldn't be there, considering there are better players from other clubs.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I also think that 2014 could feature another Jeeps v Easts final. The only two clubs who seem to have their shit in order!

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Breakdown, don't let anyone from the Filth bluff you. Any club that boasts Anthony Mathison, Carl Marshall and Matt Kaye in their Premier coaching ranks will most definitely have their shit in order. I predict a big year for Brothers in 2014.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't know what's going on down at Brothers, but I imagine their training hard. Why are Easts getting special treatment with all this training with the Reds? I get why Quirk, Toua, Gunn, Enever and Placid are there! But the other three you mentioned TT probably shouldn't be there, considering there are better players from other clubs.
Who? Parraka, Ready and UJ. I can't think of any who aren't already in the squad who are better and are the right age demographic (18-22) for the academy/WTS.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i dont like ready…his blonde locks look to well kept for hooker.

Get a haircut you Hippy!!

No but seriously all deserve their spots, except maybe UJ. Kid hasnt done anything wrong but i don't feel he has done anything that amazing either

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)

No but seriously all deserve their spots, except maybe UJ. Kid hasnt done anything wrong but i don't feel he has done anything that amazing either

TD - which 10/12/15 (utility) in clubland do you think has been overlooked for UJ?

PLEASE - can you confirm if Greene has left Wests? Sick of hearing the constant speculation flying around.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In regards to my comments about 'shit in order' I mean depth in positions. I think Easts and GPS have depth across the board which makes them dangerous! Yes, Brothers have three great coaches, but I feel that through injuries and lack of depth they might struggle in the later part of the season. However, I'm definitely not losing faith.

I think there is too much focus on Easts, Sunnybank and University for ETS positions. For Ready to play part of the season in 1st grade then get to train with the Reds, whilst other full-time Premier Grade players don't is a bit strange. With that being said, in a few years to come he will go far, with a bit more Premier Grade experience.

Finally, Breakdown, in regards to the Sam Greene topic, I honestly like most Brothers people wouldn't have the faintest idea, but I agree with you about the speculation, it's tiresome.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't know if Greene is leaving but however the club he is has been rumoured to be defecting to is not the filth.

In the age bracket of 18 - 22 I do not know who is better than UJ, who i consider a 12 not a utility.
He may fill in at 10 and 15 on occasion but so did Peter Hynes, doesn't mean that was his choice position. It must be said though that I think UJ is a good player he really has not imposed himself upon the competition in the way some one with his training probably should. Instead he just looks like someone who is a solid premier 12.

Happy to be proven wrong however.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth - you let yourself down again with your Blue and White eyes.

Brothers are no longer the centre of the universe when it comes to Qld Rugby, despite the fact that most of the QRU board have links to Crosby.

I think you will find that the reason that both GPS & Easts have higher than usual representation in the Reds & WTS - is that they have both been justly rewarded on performances in the QPR competition.

As for Ready, Paraka & UJ - they were all recognised as Aust U20 representative in 2013 and in the case of Paraka & UJ they were also Aust U20 reps first year out of school in 2012.

I sense your comments relating to Ready are motivated by a sense of loyalty to Andrew Coady who although a fine player in his own right and stalwart for the Filth simply doesn't have the potential that Ready has. If I recall a young Jeremy Paul was signed at the same age as Ready in 1998 by the Brumbies and played for the Wallabies within 12 months of playing in the Easts 1997 premiership.

Ready's time spent in 1st Grade was the result of his decision to take a vacation in Europe after the JRWC whilst Matt Randell performed well in his absence - Ready as Vice -Captain of the team took the "team first" decision in his stride and continued to contribute to the team both on and off the field - which said a lot about his character.

Stranger things have happened but an injury to Fainga or Hanson could well see Ready on the bench for the Reds. I appreciate that Albert Anae is also a hooking option but I would think that Ready's lineout throwing would be superior to Albert's. I think the Reds see Albert more as a front rower option rather than as a hooker now in any event.

Of the three Pettowa Paraka is probably the closest to a S15 call up at present. He is seriously a superior footballer to Phil Kite.

As for UJ I think he simply hasn't played enough football in the last 3 years:
- 2011 in his last year of school he was injured for most of the year;
- 2012 Reds used him as 23rd man & together with JRWC commitments this limited his exposure to Premier Grade Rugby;
- 2013 he played little rugby before going to the JRWC but then had a fine end to the season for Easts, where he really stood up in the finals - his defence and kicking were outstanding and who can forget that ball for Toby White in the 2013 grand final's opening try.

If anything UJ was found out a bit adapting to Premier Grade Rugby in 2012 but looked more comfortable in 2013. I think the level of expectation particularly from the Reds put a lot of pressure on UJ and only after the JRWC in 2013 has the real UJ stood up. He changed a lot of people's opinions at Easts with the way he finished 2013. Lets hope he takes another step up for Easts in 2014 and then in the NRC.

In my opinion if there is to be any criticism of Reds selections for 2014 it would be why the Reds did not grant Jarrad Butler a contract given that he was awarded the Reds Community Spirit award in 2013, surely this said a lot about the character of the bloke which we at Easts appreciated in his two seasons with us after joining us from the Breakers. Being a man of great character can often be a very important element in becoming a fine rugby player - we wish Jarrad all the very best at the Brumbies but he is going to have some tough competition for a position in the back row in Canberra.

T

Tigers Tale

I don't know if Greene is leaving but however the club he is has been rumoured to be defecting to is not the filth.

In the age bracket of 18 - 22 I do not know who is better than UJ, who i consider a 12 not a utility.
He may fill in at 10 and 15 on occasion but so did Peter Hynes, doesn't mean that was his choice position. It must be said though that I think UJ is a good player he really has not imposed himself upon the competition in the way some one with his training probably should. Instead he just looks like someone who is a solid premier 12.

TD - I can't disagree too much with this assessment apart from fact that on performance in the QPR 2013 Jonah Placid would probably be ahead of UJ and Sam Greene as an 18 year old did well to be the leading points scorer in the comp given Wests position on the ladder. Hence I suppose why Placid & Greene were awarded to two colts of the year awards by the QRU - see link below

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/10696/Default.aspx

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I actually thought UJ was quite impressive towards the back-end of the season.

His Semi-Final performance against GPS was one of the best I've seen by a 12 in the Premier Comp. All-round solid game. I think we forget how young he is, and given, as TD said, there aren't many young inside centre's running around, I think he deserves to be in the WTS currently.

With Ready, I've never really seen him as a stand out, but top level hookers aren't exactly booming in the comp right now. Ngaumo fell off this year (injury?) and there aren't many putting their hands up.

With the focus on Easts, GPS, Uni, Sunnybank in the Reds set up, I have to disagree with that sentiment. I'd struggle to name many players outside of those clubs who would be pushing for Reds selection in the future.

Greene (Wests), Bond (Brothers), Maitini (Norths) are the only three who I'd consider at the same level.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of very good Premier Rugby players from those clubs (Ged O'Hare, Evan la Motta, Brett Gillespie to name a few), but none of them will ever push for Reds spots.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If I can think of any club that has been ignored by the Reds its Brothers. If you look at the 2009 Brothers winning team, they were the most dominant backline in the past 10 years. With
9.McKibbin.10. Murphy. 11 Pyers. 12. Gendle. 13 Harvey 14. Donnelly. 15. Murphy.

Apart from McKibbin and Murphy, not one was considered for the Reds, even though Gendle and Harvey played up against Cooper and Fainga'a in the final and Brothers won.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)

Sam Greene > GPS.

Wants to be coached by the current Aust 20's Assist Coach in Shane Arnold who also happened to be a very handy #10 not too long ago.

GPS 's strong ties with BGS boys also added some weight to the decision from what I've been told.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Greene to GPS is true then its great news for the club. I made a few comments after the 2013 GF about the difference in quality of the flyhalves was evident. Brandon being a standout Premier player, whilst McWhirter being the solid club toiler and how much better Brandon controlled the game. Greene definitely adds a lot of skill to the backline.

T

Tigers Tale

Greene to GPS - what do you think about that SX?

I hope for Wests sake he stays at Sylvan rd.

T

Tigers Tale

If I can think of any club that has been ignored by the Reds its Brothers. If you look at the 2009 Brothers winning team, they were the most dominant backline in the past 10 years. With
9.McKibbin.10. Murphy. 11 Pyers. 12. Gendle. 13 Harvey 14. Donnelly. 15. Murphy.

Apart from McKibbin and Murphy, not one was considered for the Reds, even though Gendle and Harvey played up against Cooper and Fainga'a in the final and Brothers won.

I noted from S15 2013 that McKibbin still struggles to kick match winning goals.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If Greene to GPS is true then its great news for the club. I made a few comments after the 2013 GF about the difference in quality of the flyhalves was evident. Brandon being a standout Premier player, whilst McWhirter being the solid club toiler and how much better Brandon controlled the game. Greene definitely adds a lot of skill to the backline.

Agreed, I think this was the key difference between the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.