• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Easts do well on supports front because it is a truly community club. The seniors, engage the Juniors and hence the parents who bring the family along to watch. That's why there was such a great crowd at the grand final because I think GPS do likewise. Brothers have really worked hard on their juniors in last 15 years as well. That way you have kids growing up who want to play premier grade for their junior club. Example Jack Mullins who captained Easts Prems last year started at Easts as a 6 year old.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Word down at the first 'official' week of training at GPS is:

1) Sam Greene has been offered an EPS spot
2) Richard Graham is heavily pushing him towards playing for Easts in 2014

Interesting as its the first time i've heard Easts name thrown around as a destination for his services.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth the Easts coach is Pat Richards - as I posted the other day his finals record stands @ 5/6 (2008, 2009 & 2013) plus 1/1 in the Australian Club Championship (2009).

Lets hope he keeps that ACC record in tact on 22 March when Easts take on Shute Shield champions Sydney Uni at 5:30 at Bottomley. I look forward to seeing you down there supporting the tigers Mr Filth.

Pat's assistant coaches (backs) for the 2008 & 2013 premierships were two of Brisbane's most underrated footballers in the last 20 years in Andrew Scotney and Tim Sampson.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Interesting as its the first time i've heard Easts name thrown around as a destination for his services.

That was RG preferred destination for Greene however this morning I was informed over coffee that he will be in fact definitely staying at the kennel.
I have not heard anything about him being an EPS candidate however, but if true that can only bode well for Sam and the dogs.
The other news I got was that wests are looking sharp in preseason with a lot of depth.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

I get RG's link to Easts, but that makes no sense.

Brandon is the best Fly Half in the Premier comp. His back up is UJ, another Reds WTS member. As good as Greene is, he wouldn't start ahead of Brando, and if he did I guarantee the Tigers faithful would not be happy with it.

GPS, Wests or Brothers (wherever he is), means he will be starting 10 no matter what, and that's what the kid needs.

T

Tigers Tale

TD - I have said all along that I hope Greene stays at the Kennel.

So despite my usual blue and gold eyes I hope for all at Wests sake (particularly TD, SX & Pat Byron) that he stays at Sylvan road and I am personally looking forward to seeing the Greene family at Sylvan Rd in round 3. I presume that Sedgman Oval will still have plenty of grass on it and not be too hard in round 3.

I have not heard anything from the Easts end that he was heading to Bottomley.

As for Wests looking sharp - TD just wait 63 days before making any bold projections about Wests jumping up the ladder. Depth of talent and injury toll can play a huge part at the end of the day. I think that that was the biggest thing Easts had in their favour last year as all the other sides lost players to OS & injury particularly Brothers & GPS, Easts apart from Toua & Quirk had everyone fit for the GF. Mind you Stolberg came straight from hospital to play and returned after the game and Kirwan Sanday played 60 strong minutes straight back from a serious knee injury.

That's all in the past now as in 63 days time everyone starts on the same points in the race for Hospital Cup 2014.

Tigers Tale

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funnily enough I a. a Logan club man, but I a Easts man in prems, not passionately, but think I could find it pretty easy to follow them every week if I wasn't at Logan. Maybe because a couple of mates sons have gone there to prems over last few years, or maybe I just get the feeling it a club that has the 'feeling' I like. I couldn't follow S'bank, just because they are S'bank, Souths seem not to bad, though don't have a very good ground, and everyon else on wrong side of river!!

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Dan54, let's get Logan into Prems and your dilemma is solved. Surely it's got to happen soon - 2015 perhaps?

Dan, there was a rumour doing the rounds this week that Logan have dropped back to 2nd Grade and will play under the Gold Coast which will mean there is a full club bye in the comp. Can you confirm or deny?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dan, there was a rumour doing the rounds this week that Logan have dropped back to 2nd Grade and will play under the Gold Coast which will mean there is a full club bye in the comp. Can you confirm or deny?

Im not Dan, but I can confirm that. Was brought up during the recent GPS commitee meeting when discussing the draw, from all accounts Logan's top side will be playing as 2nd grade

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wow what a shame to hear that.

Logan reserve grade has usually been a very competitive team. They've had the benefit of being dominate at home (because 7 or so opponents from reserve grade would have to travel with premier grade up to the Sunny Coast)

We've got a Broncos academy down there, The Lions have a pokies hall at the old IKEA. What is the QRU trying to do to maximise the potential of the largest district of Polynesians in South East QLD (Can't confirm that just a general stereotype, Not trying to be offensive)

We all saw how much a success the Kings & Queens Pacific Rugby tournament was down at Queens Road (they had crowd numbers that the Gallopers would of been jealous of)

Disappointing news that the power brokers at Herston aren't doing enough for the Saints to make the next step up & rather have them take a step backwards & compete at 2nd grade.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wow what a shame to hear that.

Logan reserve grade has usually been a very competitive team. They've had the benefit of being dominate at home (because 7 or so opponents from reserve grade would have to travel with premier grade up to the Sunny Coast)

We've got a Broncos academy down there, The Lions have a pokies hall at the old IKEA. What is the QRU trying to do to maximise the potential of the largest district of Polynesians in South East QLD (Can't confirm that just a general stereotype, Not trying to be offensive)

We all saw how much a success the Kings & Queens Pacific Rugby tournament was down at Queens Road (they had crowd numbers that the Gallopers would of been jealous of)

Disappointing news that the power brokers at Herston aren't doing enough for the Saints to make the next step up & rather have them take a step backwards & compete at 2nd grade.

It can be assured that the QRU are heavily assisting Logan to reach Premier status. With make up of revised competition it's unfortunately how the chips have fallen. The QRU have been working with us to make sure everything is comfortable for all concerned. The goals have been set for 2015 status, the support is there from all concerned (QRU , Community, players etc...) . Logan catchment for talent is too valuable for the QRU to throw away and with positive changes at Logan we will hopefully have earnt our right to be in the premier competition for 2015.
Just got keep being positive

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I disagree with your assessment of heavily assisting.

Logans been getting blackballed by the QRU for years. They've shown for the past 3 years they have the facilities to move up & when an opportunity arised to take the step up and replace the Stingrays the QRU rather then "Heavily Assist" the Saints for Premier Grade has asked them to move down a grade to appease the aesthetics of the bye weekend for the other clubs.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Problem with Logan is that while they have a solid reserve grade team, their lower grade teams really struggle to not be whooped by 50+ week in week out.

Also I have no problem with not rushing their promotion into premier grade. I am pretty sure we can all remember what happened last time that happened...

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thank you for you support Mr X but we at Logan are definitely well underway with the QRU with what KPI need to be achieved and they have been offering so many resources and solutions to make us achieve these KPIs . As TD has rightly pointed out some of the shortfalls that need to be addressed. We at Logan don't want to be the 2 year band aid we want to be the 10 year + rugby business model for all concerned. But rather in the past where it has been here say we are actually trying to make this happen but based on proper foundations being laid.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I disagree with your assessment of heavily assisting.

Logans been getting blackballed by the QRU for years. They've shown for the past 3 years they have the facilities to move up & when an opportunity arised to take the step up and replace the Stingrays the QRU rather then "Heavily Assist" the Saints for Premier Grade has asked them to move down a grade to appease the aesthetics of the bye weekend for the other clubs.

Logan to Premier Grade this year would be a disaster. Yes they have a nice set up but they would be the wiping boys of the comp. The standard of Premier Rugby across the board went up in 2013 and Logan aren't up for it yet.

I actually think that playing them the same weekend as GC will be better as clubs will have a full club bye instead of messing around with teams when higher grades have the weekend off.

Let them have time to sort themselves out and then enter. Setting up a colts program is probably a good place to start.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
& how much worse would Logan City be then the Stingrays? I reckon the reserve grade Saints of 2013 would of beaten the 2013 premier grade Stingrays

They gotta start somewhere.

I'd be interested to hear these KPIs that the QRU has set out for the Saints.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If they came in and got beaten like the stingrays how would that be good for them? Heavens game seems to have inside knowledge and seems to be very happy with where things are and where they're going.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Heavens game is obviously in the know more than me, as I just a supporter at Logan these days, but I wouldn't be too upset if part of the plan means us playing 2nd grade for a year or so, with a plan in place as to how we progress from there. I been in the club about 17 years and at times I think different people at club have had unrealistic expectations of going into Prems. As heaven said we need to go in with a bloody good foundation and I have said in this forum earlier it can't be decided quickly, I really think a year or 2 warning is needed to give club chance to get set right. I also think we seem to be very fortunate to have a pretty good committee at this stage ' probably the type of committee to take us forward to the prems. We were very fortunate to have a committee with plenty of business experience etc that were able to deal with getting new grounds etc up and running, and now I suspect we have a pretty good one that will be around for a few years to take us to next stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.