• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
My comment of success is based on top 4 appearances.

Name me the last time they didn't make the top 4 (I certainly can't remember) was it 2007?

Name me a team that has appeared in the top 4 more then Brothers in the last decade.

If u want to get technical and crunch numbers then cool. But I bet my bottom dollar that if you added all the competition ladder points up of the last 10 years then brothers would be on top.

T

Tigers Tale

SX - I'd say you are probably correct on the competition points front and also the number of top 4 finishes (which go hand in hand I suppose) but doesn't this prove my point that maybe they are the chokers of the comp??

I hope you are not going soft on the Filth SX!!

Or are you preparing for a NRC alliance with them??

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
SX - I'd say you are probably correct on the competition points front and also the number of top 4 finishes (which go hand in hand I suppose) but doesn't this prove my point that maybe they are the chokers of the comp??

I hope you are not going soft on the Filth SX!!

Or are you preparing for a NRC alliance with them??

Club Rugby is a uneven battleground my friend.

I will always support the Easts/brothers of the world who build championship teams based on culture & tradition as opposed to the drunken sailor spending clubs who have to resort to their chequebooks for team success.

Que the "but every club does it apologists" it's just I know it & you know it that some clubs are more battlers than others.

T

Tigers Tale

Club Rugby is a uneven battleground my friend.

I will always support the Easts/brothers of the world who build championship teams based on culture & tradition as opposed to the drunken sailor spending clubs who have to resort to their chequebooks for team success.

Que the "but every club does it apologists" it's just I know it & you know it that some clubs are more battlers than others.

Well said SX. It will be interesting to see how Herby goes with his north side Sunnybank venture.

Proud that Easts won in 2013 with Easts juniors and a bit of help from TSS (where Karel Boss (Easts former backs coach) coached a number of these lads and influenced a number of them to join Easts).

With the advent of the NRC it will be interesting to see whether some clubs will continue to top up S15 contracts for players who will this year only possibly roll out at finals time. Then the question has to be asked whether the late inclusion of these guys can have a detrimental rather than positive effect on the team structure and culture.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
He needs to have a session with Tony Shaw and learn the best approach to getting away with things on the field. Mind you Liam (circa. 2008) obviously didn't listen to his father who had a great capacity to remain on the pitch despite his rugged capabilities on it.
It's well known that the referees of Tony Shaw's era were instructed not to send him off as the QRU wanted him always available for interstate games. Plus Brothers had the refs in their pocket anyway back then. Could never happen nowadays with most games being filmed.

T

Tigers Tale

It's well known that the referees of Tony Shaw's era were instructed not to send him off as the QRU wanted him always available for interstate games. Plus Brothers had the refs in their pocket anyway back then. Could never happen nowadays with most games being filmed.

I don't blame the Refs of that era - I saw Shawy at an Easts lunch last year he is still a scary fit looking bloke - I wouldn't send him off.

He seemed like a nice bloke though and is always happy to help Easts out given his wife's connections to Easts.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well said SX. It will be interesting to see how Herby goes with his north side Sunnybank venture.

I assume youre trying to make a point that GPS is trying to pay a bunch of blokes to come to the club etc etc?

I think we discussed this pre- Grand Final last year but about 15 of the 22 blokes who were in the GPS Prems squad had played there since juniors/colts so don't go starting anything just yet, yes there are some changes being made but lets see who runs out in week 1 before we assume.

T

Tigers Tale

A bit of background relating to the Wallabies tour of the UK in 1981-82 relating to Shawy.

Tour captain was Tony Shaw, the first Queenslander since Bill McLean in 1947-48 to captain Australia in the UK. Shaw would later marry McLean's daughter and made the 81-82 tour alongside Bill's son Peter and nephew Paul. Mark Loane would captain the side in the Test against England when Shaw was dropped from the team following the Scottish Test. Shaw had retaliated recklessly to niggling from Scots player Bill Cuthbertson with a king-hit right in front of the referee. Shaw was to pay dearly for this as it would mark the end of his Test captaincy career.

Clearly the NSW push were looking for any reason to take the Captaincy from him.

More in Wikipedia's account of the 1981-82 tour shows that Sir Nick Shehadie got his NSW way in the end. Even Tempo couldn't prevent Shaw's card being stamped "never to captain Aust again".

The tour manager was Sir Nicholas Shehadie a 30 Test veteran and former Wallaby captain. He was at the time Chairman of the New South Wales Rugby Union and President of Australian Rugby Union. The coach was Bob Templeton.

QLD got there own back when they defeated NSW 41-7 at Ballymore in 1982.

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - no I was referring to what fine GPS juniors Radike Samo, and the Fainga twins are!!!

Look I really don't care but I just hope that GPS put their money into the GPS club overall rather than using it to top-up S15 players income who rarely if ever turn out for the club. Look it's not for any of us to tell the Anthony Herberts, Gavin Heads, how to run their clubs if they've got the cash then they can spend it however they like.

I just don't like the way the Fainga's jumped off Souths for a few extra $$ - its club rugby!!

Lesson to be learnt there Mr Greene please stay at Sylvan Rd as you will ultimately be rewarded for doing so.

Easts have proven that you can win the Hospital Cup with a club line-up but just make sure you peak in a year when Sunnybank & Uni are off the pace.

It is going to be tough on Sunnybank & Uni in 2014 as the S15 final is scheduled for the first weekend of the QPR finals, so they may not see their Reds at all in 2014.

2014 may well be another year for those who can go into the finals with the same line up that has done the business throughout the course of the season. In which case that may well favour the GPS, Souths, Brothers, Easts sides in 2014.

Just 52 days to kick off of QPR 2014.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
You think the Reds are going to make the finals TT? I hate to bag a Easts aluminium but Richard Graham is about as useful as a [insert useless pun here]

I do not rate him one bit.

T

Tigers Tale

You think the Reds are going to make the finals TT? I hate to bag a Easts aluminium but Richard Graham is about as useful as a [insert useless pun here]

I do not rate him one bit.

All entitled to an opinion SX.

Granted he doesn't have a great record as a coach so we will see. He's a good bloke but as we well know that doesn't always equal a good coach. He is a dual premiership player at Easts in 1997 & 1999(capt) but if he fails we'll be associated him with GPS where he played colts. He was a QRU colt of the year.

For the record Stilesy record worries me also.

Time will tell but McCall, Shaw, Chris White appointed him so it's on their head.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT I just dont like the way to take swipes at the other clubs ie GPS and Sunnybank because they're running things differently to Easts.

As for where the club is putting their money, I think it must be going to the right places cause over the last few years GPS have won back to back 4ths premierships, a third grade one and several 2nd grade, so unless the club is somehow paying all those blokes also, I think as a club, they're doing alright.

And for what its worth, Samo and the Faingaas did more work behind the scenes down at Yoku on game days then they probably would have done on the field. The amount of times I saw them watching lower grade and colts games, from kickoff to final whistle, actively talking to players and coaches before, during and after was truly special. I don't know the full details of whatever they were compensated with to play at the club but in my opinion its been well worth it.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If GPS don't win in the next few years then something is going wrong over at Yoku Road. I honestly thought they had the talent to knock off Easts in the final. They have a great backline, plus strong forwards lead by that red-haired bloke. Several Brothers juniors in their colts and grades and by several I mean a multitude. Huge numbers in juniors, steady sponsors, the largest home crowds in the competition (mainly poncy, snotty nosed latte' sippers). The Gallopers (who have NEVER beaten Brothers in a final) will feature strong in 2014, unfortunately.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My comment of success is based on top 4 appearances.

Name me the last time they didn't make the top 4 (I certainly can't remember) was it 2007?

Name me a team that has appeared in the top 4 more then Brothers in the last decade.

If u want to get technical and crunch numbers then cool. But I bet my bottom dollar that if you added all the competition ladder points up of the last 10 years then brothers would be on top.

Iv never considered making the semi finals a success. In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last."

I would agree with the tag - Most consistant club in the last 10 years.

I wouldn't agree with TT in calling them chokers, as they have lost finals to some very impressive teams.

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
Brothers was very hard done by in the 2011 gf against sunnybank. To lose by the margin that they did to such a star studded line up was a feat itself considering the inexperience in the forwards.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Huge numbers in juniors, steady sponsors, the largest home crowds in the competition (mainly poncy, snotty nosed latte' sippers). The Gallopers (who have NEVER beaten Brothers in a final) will feature strong in 2014, unfortunately.

Haha Filth I have to admit you know Yoku Rd very well! It seems every dick and his dog like to come down and watch on Saturday's, there is even a tent full of women whom I like to call, 'The Housewives of Yoku Rd' who enjoy a bottle (or 3) of wine each and proceed to comment on players haircuts. Good times.

T

Tigers Tale

^^i think we need to limit the length and number of your posts..aim for max 75 words and only 2 posts per page please. I don't mind banter but your ruining the thread

EDIT: May seem harsh but it needed to be stated

TD - taken I will leave your thread alone and sit back and wait for QPR 2014 - I apologise for posting facts that have clearly upset others. I will let everyone push their owns barrows on this thread unquestioned. I have only ever posted things that I believe to have factual backing or with the intention to provoke reaction of fellow contributors or defend untruths.

Good luck to the Dogs this year - they'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.