• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely Damon Murphys club form has entitled a Reds bench spot sometime this year

I watched the Brothers/GPS game and every time he touched the ball something happened. He's got that x factor

He is good but needs to start trusting his team mates more the reason why brothers lost some of their recent games was because murphy tried to take it upon himself to win the game instead of trying to work as a team. The reason they had done so well to beging with was that they had such good teamwork everyone new there place and they went through there paces like clockwork.

However he is probably one of (if not) the most influential players in premier grade.

Quick question for discussion if Murphy is Brother's Talisman who would you say is everyone elses?

Easts most definitely Matty Brandon & Norths definitely Gavidi.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Gentlemen and hopefully the odd Lady on this forum, who is our tip for the Premiership this year? I’m backing the Filth, and also Easts. Tigers seem to push it up a gear when the make it into the finals. I imagine Sunnybank will get backs its usual 8 or so Reds players which will make it an interesting contest. Not having a go at Sunnybank, because as I mentioned before, I respect them as a club. However, clubs like Norths and Wests should get their equal share of representative players, I don’t think it’s fair, regardless wether their juniors or not.

I would prefer that clubs can't ransack another club. You can't expect Sunnybank to give Liam Gill, Jake Schatz or one of the Lucas boys to another club. Gold Coast have lost too many players to be competitive this year, but with the players we have lost we may have been able to put up a decent showing. I don't have problems with Sunnybank keeping their rep players if they come from their juniors (good luck to them), but I hate to lose the heart and soul of our team to Brisbane clubs. I know there are other issues involved here at the coast but I belive it is incumbent on all clubs to not raid other clubs (especially if they are struggling already).

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Obviously this comment has upset the apple cart. Let’s say if one Sunnybank player went to another club. For example, AWH went to Norths; Sunnybank would still have Jimmy the captain and Rob Simmons at second row. Furthermore, I believe that underachieving clubs like Norths would benefit immensely from having that one representative player. I’m not suggesting that each team should have equal players. I just believe that this competition would be even greater if each side had at least on rep player. In saying that, more people would go and watch 3rd tier rugby. As mentioned I respect Sunnybank as a side, and I congratulate how they have performed in the past 5 years.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Obviously this comment has upset the apple cart. Let’s say if one Sunnybank player went to another club. For example, AWH went to Norths; Sunnybank would still have Jimmy the captain and Rob Simmons at second row. Furthermore, I believe that underachieving clubs like Norths would benefit immensely from having that one representative player. I’m not suggesting that each team should have equal players. I just believe that this competition would be even greater if each side had at least on rep player. In saying that, more people would go and watch 3rd tier rugby. As mentioned I respect Sunnybank as a side, and I congratulate how they have performed in the past 5 years.

I know that you have only used AWH as an example, but I don't know whether AWH or Rob Simmons has played a game for Sunnybank this year at all (I'm sure a Sunnybank poster can tell us). But the issue is that having these guys sometimes deters other players from that position going to the club knowing that they may be ousted from a finals team. This is a bit of a catch 22. And then who makes the decision to move a player on from their chosen club to another club?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
QRU, for example, Will Genia went from Norths to Sunny Coast. Now if Sunny Coast was in the same position as they were in 2010, would this happen? I doubt it. If Brothers had the same amount of Reps as Sunnybank, I would still support my notion, because I believe it would be fantastic if we could have a stronger comp. I mean, look what Andrew Walker did for Easts, one player, and imagine what one or two players could do for one struggling club.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Andrew Walker was a god when he played for Easts. Even at 37(?) he was unstoppable.

And I have no issue with the representation of Rep players right now. If you develop them you should keep them.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
But the point remains that rep players these days don't play enough for their respective clubs to make a difference anyway, to the competitions detriment.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
When I think about rep players turning out for their clubs I think more Reds fringe players, Academy and 7's players.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I think that the Premier Club competition is very close this year and the quality of players across all the clubs is great. All clubs have different situations to cope with, whether it be slotting in returning reds, coping with short stints from sevens and academy players ( who in a year or two may well be permanent reds/wallabies) or struggling for quality depth. Wallabies like Simmo and Digby havnt played for a couple of years for Sunnybank but they come to home games when they can to support the team and sponsors which is awesome. Simmo was there last weekend to watch the Bank v Uni and say hi to sponsors , James Horwell was there in the crowd to watch his club Uni. Gilly Shatzy the lucas boys and most of the reds contracted guys come to Sunnybank games either to play or just watch all year. Digby trains at the gym. Adam Wallace Harrison has been forwards coach for the Bank this year and has put in a huge amount of time for the club but hasnt had a run yet. Shatzy, Gill, Anae and Taps played for the bank on the weekend and the club went down to Uni and i can assure you they all wanted to win. My point is these guys just dont blow in for a few games they are real club men on and off the field. Wally was even signing autographs for kids at the Bank v Easts game the week before last. How often do you see kids asking a forwads coach for an autograph. haha Love it. PS we havnt had a Premier team win back to back championships since Canberra 01-03 so clearly no current club is unfairly dominating.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Don't know if he is good enough for a Reds spot given we have some quality wing/fullbacks. But he is definatly the best Premier fullback by a mile. He could easily get a gig for the Force or Melbourne.

With Digby, Shipperley, Davies, Sautia, Morahan, Lance, and Benny Lucas (plus UJ Seuteni, even Genia and Frisby are options) theres no question that fullback/wing is a crowded and highly competitive position at the Reds

I'm just thinking about his chances at the Force and the Rebels. The Rebels have a strong backline that has really started to click with its combinations. Besides the obvious trio of stars for melbourne (beale, JOC (James O'Connor), and vuna), do they have any up and coming young backs that Murphy could compete with?

The Force is a real chance I think. Besides Cummins, Mafi, and .... cant really put Nalaga and Harvey up in that list of "stars" for the force, can you.. and with the force undoubtably looking to blood new players in a rebuilding season in 2013, I really can see Damon being offered at least a short term contract to Peth.

I've never met the guy face to face, and on the pitch he seems like a little bloke, will size be a massive factor in his super rugby chances? I'd like to think he makes up for his size with his other attributes, but maybe not

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
But the point remains that rep players these days don't play enough for their respective clubs to make a difference anyway, to the competitions detriment.
I think your dreaming saying it doesnt make a difference, the reds front row that played for Sunnybank last year single handedly won them the grand final with penalty tries and a yellow card just from the scrum. Im of the opinion that Reds players should be allowed to play where they like. it puts clubs who have no money at a terrible disadvantage but thats just the way it goes. At the start of the year the Fainga'a twins manager rang around the clubs to see who could offer the boys the best "incentive" to play for their club.... unfortunatley some clubs just cant offer players anything but again i think thats just how the cookie crumbles and forcing players to play for a club against their will would be a shit fight. everyone should just get on with it i think

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
"Incentives", as you put it, don't have to be cashed based though. There are enough creative people out there in clubland who can find ways of providing opportunities for players so that they can reach there potential. Also the idea of making big payments to players who will not be playing for the club for the majority of the season doesn't sit well with me. Also it wouldn't create a great club culture in my view.
If I were starting a new club in Premier and had some money to throw around I would be much more inclined to give it to the likes of Brandon, Kriukelis, Murphy and the like as they would be at the club week in and week out and are proven performers at this level rather than spend it on a Reds player who may play one or two games a year.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Lets focus our attention now on this weeks games.
What information is out there for teams this week? Who is injured? Whos is playing from the reds and wallabies? Who has been dropped, coming back form injury?

What are peoples tips and thoughts on players?

Does anyone know if we will see Shannon Walker again for Easts?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Apparently the ARU/Academy's are playing a part in the availability of a few of the Easts players. Last week Blake Enever was forced to pull out by the Academy because he had a slight niggle, which was not affecting his gameplay. Bit stupid in my opinion, the Academy should not have a say in things like this at this point of the season, when they won't be needed for Super Rugby or anything.

The ARU and Sevens programs didn't let Jordie Tupou play last week, and they don't want Shannon Walker to risk getting injured again. I understand this logic, but surley more game time could only be beneficial.

For the Tigers this week, Norths shouldn't prove to be too much of a hassle. The backline has been clicking recently, lots of tries being scored out wide so they will be aiming for a bonus point in this one.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The ARU and Sevens programs didn't let Jordie Tupou play last week, and they don't want Shannon Walker to risk getting injured again. I understand this logic, but surley more game time could only be beneficial.

Tigerland do you know why they are restricting the play of 7's players? Im not really familiar with the 7s programs and when circuits start/finish but I thought it was finished for the year? GPS have also had limited access to their three 7's players over the last few weeks.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No test matches and no super Rugby. A perfect weekend for some 3rdtier action. Here are this weekends games
Queensland Premier Rugby Round 15 - Saturday 11 August
Easts v Norths
David Wilson Field 3:00pm

Rugby Gold Coast v GPS
Albert Park 3:00pm

Sunshine Coast v Souths
Stockland Stadium Sunshine Coast 3:00pm

University v Brothers
St Lucia 3:00pm

Wests v Sunnybank
Sedgman Oval 3:00pm

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Gee Wests have a strong IGS feel about them, plus a few more Ipswich lads involved.

Also interesting to see Junior Sovala playing for the Breakers. He is hands down the most talented schoolboy rugby player I have ever seen. Had so much potential but unfortunately it didn't come to fruition due to a number of reasons.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ladder.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.