• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
At what age do you decide what position you are? Ready has been at 2 since he was 14.. wouldnt that make him a hooker? with regards to the stolberg enever debate id have enever any day of the week, stolberg isnt physical or aggressive enough for the next leviel at the moment. but i think any conversation about next level locks should have the GPS locks in it. (Toolis & Gorman) Big, aggressive, physical, full of niggle and bash people at the breakdown, depends what you want out of your second row i suppose.

GPS locks? Surely not...with respect to the two players mentioned they would not even butter the toast of the Easts locks. Toolis in my opinion is not "aggressive, physical, full of niggle" at all I have watched most games this year and none of his performances would support that view..

the most impressive locks I have seen have been the wests pairing lined and ? - they pretty much sum up all of the attributes that were used to describe the GPS pair. They completely and totally outplayed the GPS pair at the kennel and I believe were a major catalyst for that win...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just on Wests, they really have the nucleus to build a strong team over the next few seasons. I liked the looks of quite a few of their players.

I agree with that persepective on their locks. They'd be the second best behind Stollberg and Enenver.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Watch lineouts closer. He has great strength in lineouts and has stolen many opposition balls this season. Can't agree with you about his finese. Are you watching the right guy. Comparing him against Higgers and matfield is like. yeah well. wonder what they were like at that age. !! His agility for his size was demonstrated in the try he scored against Wests from his own charge down. Stolberg is only 20, apparently, younger then the others so don't know about his peaking.
Thought Easts really are playing tight as a team.

I saw the charge down it showed persistence but agility? I think you need to look up the definition? Isnt stolberg 21? born 1991 like enever? His lineouts might be better but i have seen him play 5/6 times over the years and thought that if he was my teams prime jumper i would want him to be better.

Also playedinheaven didn't ready play a few colts game slast year on at flanker? facts my friend.....acquire them

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
T12, Stolberg's form turnaround came mysteriously at the same time Enever was promoted to the Reds. I have found him all year to be extremely athletic and coordinated for his size. He has shown he can run that angle back inside off the halfbacks pass which Easts aim to do all the time. Enever's physicality and willingness to do the ruck work as well as strong midfield running is probably what got him the Reds opportunity before Stolberg. But I think both of them are worth holding onto at the Reds, because in 2 years time Samo and Wallace-Harrison will be retiring and Van Humphries possibly sooner. I just hope they are patient enough to stay at Easts and the Reds until then.

With regards to Ready. He is Easts best hooker I have seen in the last 5 years apart from Charalambous, who unfortunately couldn't stay fit for long. Theirry, a few games on the side of the scrum is not very uncommon for all hookers and is probably the norm. As most coaches try and put the best 15 players on the field and then worry about positions. Particularly when you factor injuries into a season.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also playedinheaven didn't ready play a few colts game slast year on at flanker? facts my friend...acquire them
Thierry the way it reads above you were saying Ready's thowing is poor because that is what happens when you move a flanker to hooker. I am pretty sure the few games he may of played on the side of the scrum last year would not of effected his previous 4 or 5 years of development too much. I would of also assumed he would have still thrown in those few games anyway. Why change the thrower if he is still on the field.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Thierry the way it reads above you were saying Ready's thowing is poor because that is what happens when you move a flanker to hooker. I am pretty sure the few games he may of played on the side of the scrum last year would not of effected his previous 4 or 5 years of development too much. I would of also assumed he would have still thrown in those few games anyway. Why change the thrower if he is still on the field.

Because the other thrower was better? Its not a slight on Ready throwing is one of the hardest skills to learn even professionals struggle with it (TPN anyone?). Ready's throwing isn't abysmal its just a weaker facet of his game his general play is fantastic and he has a high workrate. My comments are noting that maybe due to his versatility he hadn't to this stage put as much thought and practice into his throw. (James Hanson was not a good thrower at the start but has developed over time, he was playing flyhalf for brother u17 at one stage for god's sake while the sametime, playing flanker and hooker for school) There is a big different to the mechanics of throwing a schoolboy line out to throwing a Premier grade line out there is a lot more planning and skill then people think.

A lad attended my club once having represented qld as a school boy hooker however his knowledge to the intricacies involved with throwing was little to none. He simply thought that if threw it fast and hard it looked good it was fine he was never taught the how to change the angle of his throw or about timing. Or the fact throwing a ball to the back requires the same strength as a ball to the front but an earlier release.

I stand by comments though Ready over time will be manufactured and taught how to be a fantastic hooker at prem level however I don't think he will make super 15.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also playedinheaven didn't ready play a few colts game slast year on at flanker? facts my friend...acquire them
Thierry, Ready has been a rep hooker for years through qld 16's and schoolboys and was the city u/19 hooker last year..... Facts champ, aquire them.
Also agree with the comments re wests forward pack, have been real tough in the tight stuff this year, be great for wests if they can keep the core of them together for a few more years.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Thierry, Ready has been a rep hooker for years through qld 16's and schoolboys and was the city u/19 hooker last year... Facts champ, aquire them.
Also agree with the comments re wests forward pack, have been real tough in the tight stuff this year, be great for wests if they can keep the core of them together for a few more years.

*Sigh* I am assuming you are one of ready's friends or went to school with him or something? and now feel as if i have insulted your friends honour and trying to defend him (the last thing I was trying to do). As you will note the above comment Ready did do everything you have said however he has/did play a few games on the side of the scrum which is fine. I can't remember his name but was signed to the reds a few years ago as a hooker used to play prem grade as a flanker and sometimes even an outside back. Abraham or something his name was? Frisby for the reds is another example of someone playing across multiple positions signed as a halfback to the reds but has played wing form them as well as fullback for the u20's. Experiments happen now Ready is focused on his position and chances is he will flourish just like quade cooper who was i believe a junior representative fullback and played several positions until settling as a flyhalf likewise for beale.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Stan Pilecki had a run with 1 of the Wests Subbies teams in the Scottney Cup comp.

Wests (1) defeated Wests (2).. If you look on the QRU news section at the weekend results it said that Pilecki got a meat pie.

Can't imagine the try was anything special. I imagine the defense parted like the Red sea and he Waddled in.. Still top effort by a rugby legend to have a game when he is over the age of 60.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So running into the finals here how the Top sides sit

Brothers 54
University of Queensland 51
Easts 50
Sunnybank 42
GPS 42
Souths 38
Wests 37
Norths 26
Rugby Gold Coast 14
Sunshine Coast Rugby Union 5

This is the run in for the top sides
Brothers: Uni, Sunnybank, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast
Uni: Brothers, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Easts
Easts: Norths, Souths, GPS, Uni
Sunnybank: Wests, Brothers, Norths, Gold Coast
GPS: Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Easts, Wests
Souths: Sunshine Coast, Easts, Wests, Norths
Wests: Sunnybank, Norths, Souths, GPS

So from looking at this, the next two weeks are crucial to Brothers consolidating top spot. Easts need to beat Norths with a bonus point and then win at Chipsy Wood so they are in a safe spot when they play Uni and GPS. University will probably get 10pts for their two Coast games, putting them in a safe spot aswell. Sunnybank has a few tricky games against Wests and Norths, but it's the game against the Filth that will probably determine if they can catch the top 3. GPS has an easier run apart from their game against Easts at Bottomely, they will also look to get 10pts against the coast sides. Finally I think Wests have the hardest run and will need a few upsets and results to go their way to get to 4th spot. Souths on the other hand have a pretty easy run (apart from Easts), and could easily get that last spot if GPS slip up.

Should be interesting but I think it will end up the way they stand now.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nah not a mate, but have seen that age group play a lot over the last few years, was simply trying to help you get the facts so you can make informed opinions. No worries.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dont know the bloke and have only seen him play a few games, I just thought it was strange that you were saying the reason his throwing was poor was due to a flanker been moved to hooker when he has clearly been playing hooker for a while.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I saw the charge down it showed persistence but agility? I think you need to look up the definition? Isnt stolberg 21? born 1991 like enever? His lineouts might be better but i have seen him play 5/6 times over the years and thought that if he was my teams prime jumper i would want him to be better.

The charge down was not the agility I was referring to, thats positioning and reading the game. The agility was to pull it down from above his head as it goes to bounce out over the dead ball game and plant it back to score the try, Thats agile. Read his stats. Born 1992.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The charge down was not the agility I was referring to, thats positioning and reading the game. The agility was to pull it down from above his head as it goes to bounce out over the dead ball game and plant it back to score the try, Thats agile. Read his stats. Born 1992.
His ball playing and general skills has improved vastly. The try he scored against Sunnybank showed his new ball running agility. His passing interplay in the forwards has also improved, which is vital as Easts game plan in centered around this strategy. I would think Richards has contributed significantly to his form lately.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gentlemen and hopefully the odd Lady on this forum, who is our tip for the Premiership this year? I’m backing the Filth, and also Easts. Tigers seem to push it up a gear when the make it into the finals. I imagine Sunnybank will get backs its usual 8 or so Reds players which will make it an interesting contest. Not having a go at Sunnybank, because as I mentioned before, I respect them as a club. However, clubs like Norths and Wests should get their equal share of representative players, I don’t think it’s fair, regardless wether their juniors or not.

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
Gentlemen and hopefully the odd Lady on this forum, who is our tip for the Premiership this year? I’m backing the Filth, and also Easts. Tigers seem to push it up a gear when the make it into the finals. I imagine Sunnybank will get backs its usual 8 or so Reds players which will make it an interesting contest. Not having a go at Sunnybank, because as I mentioned before, I respect them as a club. However, clubs like Norths and Wests should get their equal share of representative players, I don’t think it’s fair, regardless wether their juniors or not.

So Filth you are going to punish those clubs that develop their own players through their junior programs. That would only encourage clubs to not give a sh!t about their juniors because they would get their share of Reds players anyway.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
It swings in round a bouts Filth..... it wasn't all that long ago that Souths had the lions share of rep players & in the midst of a golden era, for an example. It's not like the rep players play much rugby for the clubs these days anyway. Your comment just comes across as sour grapes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are we going to turn into the Canberra comp where they have a rule each club can only have 3 Brumbies players? Why would clubs develop juniors if they have to be shipped off to another club? If clubs spend there money, or use their resources, wisely then they would be able to develop and attract quality players.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Surely Damon Murphys club form has entitled a Reds bench spot sometime this year

I watched the Brothers/GPS game and every time he touched the ball something happened. He's got that x factor

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't know if he is good enough for a Reds spot given we have some quality wing/fullbacks. But he is definatly the best Premier fullback by a mile. He could easily get a gig for the Force or Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.