• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not going to make it up to a game today. So GAGR is only officially covering 1 game this weekend. Any info from the games you guys get to will help out. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Btw Mic who usually does a report for us has been called on to the bench for Prems. Well done mate.

Sent using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Filth beat Jeeps 36-28 in a good game at Crosby. Heavies beat Sunnybank 30-17, think Easts got up at the Kennel.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Easts beat 49-26(?) over Wests. Great game, really attacking rugby from both sides.

49 - 27 I thought.

The game went according to script. Wests had a good scrum and focused their attention on the breakdown and the narrow defensive channels.This ment for a slow start to the game with a large number of handling errors. Easts scored there first try when Skelton took advantage of a mis match on the short side to slice through the gap, drew the fullback and passed to Wilder to score in the corner. Easts scored 2 more opportune tries in the first half while Wests had a try and 2 penalty goals.

The second half opened up a little more for both teams. When Easts were able to hold onto the ball for 6+ phases the backs were able to take advantage of defensive gaps. Almost every opportunity that came their way the Easts backs pounced. Such as an intercept try to White and a kick ahead off a Wests mistake by Mansel for another.

Wests forwards were able to disrupt easts at the breakdown, but they weren't able to construct any real pressure or attack apart from fullback Aukosa. Who was dangerous every time he touched the ball and must have the best offload in the comp. If I were Mooney I would be searching hard for a half back fly half combination that can control a game, that the top clubs such as easts Sunnybank and brothers have. Until then mid table battlers is the best they wll ever manage.

Other comments.
Couldn't pick a man of the match. The ref was a little lenient on ruck infringements and one howler not calling Wests offside in front of the kicker but otherwise was not bad. And the ladies of the western suburbs of Brisbane were looking their best for ladies day at the kennel.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Brief overview of Uni v Sunnybank.

First half

The opening try of the match was a penalty try to Sunnybank, while Uni kicked two penalty goals. Despite the scoreline sitting at 7-6 for much of the first half, it was actually a great game to watch. There was some fantastic expansive play, some great scrambling defense and some really hard hits. That was probably what struck me most; the sound of bodies coming together indicated that there will be some very sore bodies getting out of bed tomorrow!

Particular standout for me is Matt Lucas - Uni forward runners were running straight at him all game and he didn't take a backward step, didn't miss a tackle, and he put them on the deck. The Tahs have picked up a fantastic player there. Oh, and he's also a great bloke- if given the opportunity by Tahs media unit and hierarchy, the kids will love him.

Uni scored shortly before half. I'd love to tell you who scored, but I was in the bathroom :oops: and then Sunnybank kicked a penalty on half so the score at half-time was 11-10.

Second half

The second half opened up a bit, with Sunnybank scoring a cracking try just after half time. Sunnybank were actually busting through tackles, making line breaks and threatening the defensive line all day, but desperate defence by the Uni back three stopped what could've easily become a bloodbath. The Bank really do give the impression that they can score from anywhere.

For the first time in what feels like many weeks, Uni stuck to the game plan in the second half by playing a more settled game. Chibba Hanson had a lot to do with lifting the intensity without , and he's able to lift the players around him too. From what I've seen when Uni play Bank, Albert Anae seems to be that player for Sunnybank. When he went off with a head knock, the game seemed to swing again. Thankfully Albert's ok.

There were tries scored, and I'm sure the try-scorers will be on the QRU website - I usually don't pay that much attention to that stuff (sorry!). My impressions of the game (for what they're worth - I'm not a coach, and I've never played rugby at the highest level....;) ) is that Uni's best players were Tim Mosey (intensity, organisation in defense and goalkicking), Curtis Browning (turnovers from tackles, strong runner, and a bloody hard player) and the combination of Nick Malouf and Connor Mitchell (Malouf playing his first game back at 7 after a couple of seasons in the centres, and Connor Mitchell is a colt. Both boys are in the 7s system. I counted both of them as one player as Connor went on for Malouf).

I'm sure others disagree or saw the game differently, but that's how I saw it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
49 - 27 I thought.

The game went according to script. Wests had a good scrum and focused their attention on the breakdown and the narrow defensive channels.This ment for a slow start to the game with a large number of handling errors. Easts scored there first try when Skelton took advantage of a mis match on the short side to slice through the gap, drew the fullback and passed to Wilder to score in the corner. Easts scored 2 more opportune tries in the first half while Wests had a try and 2 penalty goals.

The second half opened up a little more for both teams. When Easts were able to hold onto the ball for 6+ phases the backs were able to take advantage of defensive gaps. Almost every opportunity that came their way the Easts backs pounced. Such as an intercept try to White and a kick ahead off a Wests mistake by Mansel for another.

Wests forwards were able to disrupt easts at the breakdown, but they weren't able to construct any real pressure or attack apart from fullback Aukosa. Who was dangerous every time he touched the ball and must have the best offload in the comp. If I were Mooney I would be searching hard for a half back fly half combination that can control a game, that the top clubs such as easts Sunnybank and brothers have. Until then mid table battlers is the best they wll ever manage.

Other comments.
Couldn't pick a man of the match. The ref was a little lenient on ruck infringements and one howler not calling Wests offside in front of the kicker but otherwise was not bad. And the ladies of the western suburbs of Brisbane were looking their best for ladies day at the kennel.
Brief overview of Uni v Sunnybank.

First half

The opening try of the match was a penalty try to Sunnybank, while Uni kicked two penalty goals. Despite the scoreline sitting at 7-6 for much of the first half, it was actually a great game to watch. There was some fantastic expansive play, some great scrambling defense and some really hard hits. That was probably what struck me most; the sound of bodies coming together indicated that there will be some very sore bodies getting out of bed tomorrow!

Particular standout for me is Matt Lucas - Uni forward runners were running straight at him all game and he didn't take a backward step, didn't miss a tackle, and he put them on the deck. The Tahs have picked up a fantastic player there. Oh, and he's also a great bloke- if given the opportunity by Tahs media unit and hierarchy, the kids will love him.

Uni scored shortly before half. I'd love to tell you who scored, but I was in the bathroom :oops: and then Sunnybank kicked a penalty on half so the score at half-time was 11-10.

Second half

The second half opened up a bit, with Sunnybank scoring a cracking try just after half time. Sunnybank were actually busting through tackles, making line breaks and threatening the defensive line all day, but desperate defence by the Uni back three stopped what could've easily become a bloodbath. The Bank really do give the impression that they can score from anywhere.

For the first time in what feels like many weeks, Uni stuck to the game plan in the second half by playing a more settled game. Chibba Hanson had a lot to do with lifting the intensity without , and he's able to lift the players around him too. From what I've seen when Uni play Bank, Albert Anae seems to be that player for Sunnybank. When he went off with a head knock, the game seemed to swing again. Thankfully Albert's ok.

There were tries scored, and I'm sure the try-scorers will be on the QRU website - I usually don't pay that much attention to that stuff (sorry!). My impressions of the game (for what they're worth - I'm not a coach, and I've never played rugby at the highest level..;) ) is that Uni's best players were Tim Mosey (intensity, organisation in defense and goalkicking), Curtis Browning (turnovers from tackles, strong runner, and a bloody hard player) and the combination of Nick Malouf and Connor Mitchell (Malouf playing his first game back at 7 after a couple of seasons in the centres, and Connor Mitchell is a colt. Both boys are in the 7s system. I counted both of them as one player as Connor went on for Malouf).

I'm sure others disagree or saw the game differently, but that's how I saw it.
All right if we use this stuff for the blog guys?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Does anyone else think Michael Stollberg (Easts) is looking the goods to make the step up into a Super Rugby squad? He had been brilliant past month or so. Personally I think he's been outplaying the more favoured Enever.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Does anyone else think Michael Stollberg (Easts) is looking the goods to make the step up into a Super Rugby squad? He had been brilliant past month or so. Personally I think he's been outplaying the more favoured Enever.

Musashi Man on the Match yesterday down at the Kennel.

He has the size to be a professional rugby player, An absolute monster... On the other hand, J.Butler does not have the size to break into the Reds rotation (when he is rated behind Liam Gill/Beau Robinson for that openside flanker) .. I just can't see Butler filling Higginbothams position because he is 6 inches to short being a dependable lineout option for the REDS & covering the 6 or 8 jersey.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think enever is better by stolberg by far besides his frame stolberg doesnt have much else goign for him enever seems to be the ful deal. I think east coast aces assesment of the wests game was fair except for two things 1. know comment should be made for wests being off side as the easts centres walked a very fine line each phase. 2. In regards to comments about wests flyhalf/halfback combination. I feel that yesterday wasn't a good inidcation about how good they can be . Wests half back is quite a handful for teams usually and is as tough as they come and wests flyhalf ben damen was last years nsw country flyhalf and just wasnt on his game yesterday. They may not be as good as fuller/brandon at this stage but its both their first year and i am sure will develop into a solid partnership.

P.s There is no way on gods green earth the pettowa parraka is 18/19 years old. I want birth certificates handed in for inspection.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think enever is better by stolberg by far besides his frame stolberg doesnt have much else goign for him enever seems to be the ful deal. I think east coast aces assesment of the wests game was fair except for two things 1. know comment should be made for wests being off side as the easts centres walked a very fine line each phase. 2. In regards to comments about wests flyhalf/halfback combination. I feel that yesterday wasn't a good inidcation about how good they can be . Wests half back is quite a handful for teams usually and is as tough as they come and wests flyhalf ben damen was last years nsw country flyhalf and just wasnt on his game yesterday. They may not be as good as fuller/brandon at this stage but its both their first year and i am sure will develop into a solid partnership.

P.s There is no way on gods green earth the pettowa parraka is 18/19 years old. I want birth certificates handed in for inspection.

I was actually suggesting the referee was lenient on both sides for ruck infringements, and the offside was a failed attempt at a box kick that was basically caught by a player getting up from the ruck. Which makes it impossible for the forwards In front of the kicker to retreat 10m back.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think enever is better by stolberg by far besides his frame stolberg doesnt have much else goign for him enever seems to be the ful deal. .
I disagree completely with this. I used to be a massive critic of Stollberg (as I have posted about before), but this bloke has turned into the best lock in Premier Rugby this season. I really don't think you've been watching him enough lately to suggest he doesn't have anything else but size.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I disagree completely with this. I used to be a massive critic of Stollberg (as I have posted about before), but this bloke has turned into the best lock in Premier Rugby this season. I really don't think you've been watching him enough lately to suggest he doesn't have anything else but size.

He may be good for premier grade but would be eaten alive at this stage proffesionally but know doubt he could grow. But think about it his running metres is only by size he doesnt even run good lines or a solid fend which is fine i guess for a lock. His defence is capable but against other sizable opponents i think his lack of technique would be found out (somethign easily fixed). Line out are good but still not amazing his size is his key attribute it doesnt seem like he has the finesse of great jumpers (higgers & matfield). In premier grade he does the job no doubt any team would be lucky to have him but on a pro stage not more you can dofor him but hope he gets better technique and a good line runne ri think is something not taught but comes with instinct.

Enever to me seems to have a greater finesse and i feel there is more room to improve his frame where i think sotlberg is at his peak size wise.

But T12 i feel again you and I are going to have to wait and see with these two just like we discussed with quirk.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I see where you are coming from, and just for the record wasn't putting down Enever, was just making a general comparison. In my view his ball running 2/3 man from the ruck has improved vastly this season. I feel he is at that right point to be picked up on an EPS somewhere (not necessarily the Reds), because he has hit form, he looks physically brilliant and seems to be playing with a bit of confidence for once. And with the line-outs I wouldn't read into it too much because it has been the Tigers weak point this season, generally because of poor lifting and crap throwing (Ready is good for his age but his throwing does my head in).

But yep, I guess we have to wait a good year to see the results of those two discussions.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
perhaps rebels is the ticket then with neville being upgraded? Ready is what you get when you take someone from flanker and turn them into a hooker. He is someone who will get better with age but i dont think will ever quite crack it

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
He may be good for premier grade but would be eaten alive at this stage proffesionally but know doubt he could grow. But think about it his running metres is only by size he doesnt even run good lines or a solid fend which is fine i guess for a lock. His defence is capable but against other sizable opponents i think his lack of technique would be found out (somethign easily fixed). Line out are good but still not amazing his size is his key attribute it doesnt seem like he has the finesse of great jumpers (higgers & matfield). In premier grade he does the job no doubt any team would be lucky to have him but on a pro stage not more you can dofor him but hope he gets better technique and a good line runne ri think is something not taught but comes with instinct.

Enever to me seems to have a greater finesse and i feel there is more room to improve his frame where i think sotlberg is at his peak size wise.

But T12 i feel again you and I are going to have to wait and see with these two just like we discussed with quirk.

Watch lineouts closer. He has great strength in lineouts and has stolen many opposition balls this season. Can't agree with you about his finese. Are you watching the right guy. Comparing him against Higgers and matfield is like... yeah well... wonder what they were like at that age. !! His agility for his size was demonstrated in the try he scored against Wests from his own charge down. Stolberg is only 20, apparently, younger then the others so don't know about his peaking.
Thought Easts really are playing tight as a team.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
perhaps rebels is the ticket then with neville being upgraded? Ready is what you get when you take someone from flanker and turn them into a hooker. He is someone who will get better with age but i dont think will ever quite crack it
At what age do you decide what position you are? Ready has been at 2 since he was 14...... wouldnt that make him a hooker? with regards to the stolberg enever debate id have enever any day of the week, stolberg isnt physical or aggressive enough for the next level at the moment. but i think any conversation about next level locks should have the GPS locks in it. (Toolis & Gorman) Big, aggressive, physical, full of niggle and bash people at the breakdown, depends what you want out of your second row i suppose.

G

G&GR News Bot

It’s hard to believe that in a month, the last round of Premier Rugby for the year will be done and dusted!! As we move closer to the finals, the battle for the top four gets more and more interesting each week. Easts bounced back well after last week’s disappointment, winning 49-27 against Wests. Norths

Click this link to read the full article...

Status
Not open for further replies.